Author Topic: Review of a refurbished apple m0116.  (Read 3042 times)

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
Review of a refurbished apple m0116.
« on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 04:50:33 »
Hi,

As im quite new to the review world, please bare with me.

Some time ago i bought a apple m0116, i got at a nice price from a fellow in the US.And the reason for me getting it was because i wanted to tried some alps. After some days of anticipation and waiting, the keyboard finally arrived.

When i opened up the box i noticed that the keyboard had chipped on the edge, after some discussion with the seller, he reduced the price because opf the chipped case. After that i removed the keycaps because i wanted to clean it up. To my surprise there was rust on the plate, and some kind of leftovers from the 80s(close barf call).

I then threw away the pcb, cleaned the plate. sanded down the rust. And repainted the plate.

I decided to  handwire everything and connect it to a teensy, after some coding and some torubleshooting(thanks hasu). I had a working keyboard.
Build log and all other information can be found here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71890.0

Another modification done is that i moved the lock button which is usually located under capslock to the top backspace button.  Which i now use as another function layer.

As i have never tried alps before, i do not have any other reference. but ill do my best to explain hte experience.

Previous experinces:
I have previosuly been using alot of MX keyboards and most of the normal switch setups(browns,blues,reds,blacks,clears,white,green, tacto blacks,ergo clears, have yet to try the gray variaties.)

With Salmon alps and dyesublimated PBT(i think). I must say i like this keyboard very much.

Salmon alps are tactile and what i would say semi clicky(Some switches click and some dont.). Actuation force are similar to cherry mx clears but do not feel the same at all. it feels like the MX have more travel time before actuationg then the salmon alps. The salmon alps are not as smooth as the cherry mx clears but have a different appeal, the bump come directly after you start pressing the keycaps which gives you a boost on your way down on bottoming out(yes i like bottoming out) which is a good feelin, some others might disagree but i like it.

As for the weight the keyboard is a little light now when i have lost most of the electronics. And the rubber feets needs replacing because they have dried up. But after some fixing up i think this keyboard would be a fine daily driver at work(might change my mind later,but it feels like it now atleast).

They keycaps looks nice and feels great. And as others may have to complain about having extensive yellowing, i dont mind, it gives a nice Retro feel and look :).

Peace

Offline honoka

Re: Review of a refurbished apple m0116.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 01:34:02 »
Good job! Nice worklog too

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:06:16 »
thank you for the enlightening review, i have a couple keyboards like this in my storage back home.
i may have to come back to your build log and try it myself.
its kinda funny, i have two identical keyboards from the same year but manufactured in different places.
i know one of them has alps. but the other i think may be a rubber dome type.
but then again, i cannot check right now so its going to be in the back of my mind for some time.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 02:21:20 »
thank you for the enlightening review, i have a couple keyboards like this in my storage back home.
i may have to come back to your build log and try it myself.
its kinda funny, i have two identical keyboards from the same year but manufactured in different places.
i know one of them has alps. but the other i think may be a rubber dome type.
but then again, i cannot check right now so its going to be in the back of my mind for some time.

Thanks for your kind words , ill be glad yo help you if you start to refurbish your old keyboards.