Author Topic: New computer or new keyboard?  (Read 11383 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline zwmalone

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 369
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 17:43:12 »
I  just got the keyboard today.  I love the white ALPS switches!  Ergonomic layout is nice.  The  solder for the right spacebar was broken so  I used aluminim foil and scotch tape to fix it :D  I'll  upload pics in a bit.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline zwmalone

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 369
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 17:44:49 »
Whoops Double Post.  Also, these are genuine ALPS with the logo on top.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline zwmalone

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 369
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 19:51:57 »
I bought this expecting it to be in a lot better condition than it was.  I had to repair two solder joints on this, remove mildew from the top plastics, fabricate stabilizer bar holders for the right spacebar and disassemble the switch under the right spacebar so that the spring would set correctly.  It was more of a keyboard restoration project than a purchase.  

I bought this keyboard from RNS Auctions (they deal in a lot of Vintage keyboards and misc computer equipment on eBay) and I'm sad to say my experience was atrocious.  I was looking at also buying a Chicony keyboard with white ALPS from them but it's not worth the trouble anymore IMHO.  

Also, this keyboard also goes by the name Chicony KB-7001.  The cheapest I've seen it sell on eBay for under that name is $162.99:eek:

It's a decent enough board but the sellers aren't worth dealing with.  I'm gonna put up a real review soon, this is just testing the newly fixed spacebar.

Also Pics!:



Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline Therac-25

  • Posts: 84
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 21:38:19 »
Quote from: zwmalone;17682

Show Image

Show Image


Dude, you know your camera has a macro mode, right?
das keyboard model s professional
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless Blue
Model M Mini

Offline zwmalone

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 369
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 21:50:59 »
Not my camera.  Review pictures will be done with my SLR so they will have much better picture quality.  I was just snapping a few pics for reference.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline Therac-25

  • Posts: 84
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 22:28:21 »
Quote from: zwmalone;17689
Not my camera.  Review pictures will be done with my SLR so they will have much better picture quality.  I was just snapping a few pics for reference.


Well, then your EXIF data is lying.  It says HP Photosmart M22, which does have a Macro mode (manual).
das keyboard model s professional
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless Blue
Model M Mini

Offline zwmalone

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 369
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 23:22:54 »
I realize it does.  Did you think I meant I took those pictures with the SLR?  I'm gonna take the review pictures with my SLR.  These pictures were taken with the M22 but they were  just quick shots when I was doing the repairs on this keyboard.  It wasn't my camera (borrowed it) so I didn't feel comfortable messing with the settings.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline Therac-25

  • Posts: 84
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 23:25:05 »
Quote from: zwmalone;17696
I realize it does.  Did you think I meant I took those pictures with the SLR?  I'm gonna take the review pictures with my SLR.  These pictures were taken with the M22 but they were  just quick shots when I was doing the repairs on this keyboard.  It wasn't my camera (borrowed it) so I didn't feel comfortable messing with the settings.


Sorry, misunderstood what "not my camera" was referring to.
das keyboard model s professional
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless Blue
Model M Mini

Offline zwmalone

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 369
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 23:34:48 »
My fault. Definately better *less confusing* ways to word that.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline Chloe

  • Posts: 679
  • Switch Kitten
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 07:28:57 »
The presence of ALPS logo on upper housing isn't enough to confirm it is real ALPS. The only way to know is to take it apart to examine the switching mechanism.

Offline lowpoly

  • Posts: 1749
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 08:53:34 »
Sometimes used boards need a little care. It could have been worse. Nothing is missing for ex. And the spiral cable is still tightly wound. I hate it when those are stretched. Impossible to fix.

Nice 'board all in all. :)

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline xyzzy

  • Posts: 155
  • Location: EU
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 08:59:40 »
Quote from: lowpoly;17744
And the spiral cable is still tightly wound. I hate it when those are stretched. Impossible to fix.


I remember reading somewhere that you could fix a streched spiral cable by wrapping it around a pencil and submerging it in boiling (or nearly boiling) water for a few seconds, then taking it out and letting it cool down (still wrapped).

Not sure if it works or it's just an urban legend, I never dared doing it to my Model M cables.

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid PFU HHKB Pro Leopold FC660C IBM Model M SSK 1391472 IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) Dell AT102W (black Alps) Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline lowpoly

  • Posts: 1749
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 09:12:06 »
Quote from: xyzzy;17747
I remember reading somewhere that you could fix a streched spiral cable by wrapping it around a pencil and submerging it in boiling (or nearly boiling) water for a few seconds, then taking it out and letting it cool down (still wrapped).

Not sure if it works or it's just an urban legend, I never dared doing it to my Model M cables.

That sounds good. Thanks for the tip.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline zwmalone

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 369
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 11:36:16 »
Quote from: Chloe;17737
The presence of ALPS logo on upper housing isn't enough to confirm it is real ALPS. The only way to know is to take it apart to examine the switching mechanism.

OK, and what am I looking for exactly?
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline Chloe

  • Posts: 679
  • Switch Kitten
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 13:29:21 »
With the upper housing removed you should see one of the following:
http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/alps_sw2.html

Offline zwmalone

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 369
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 13:48:11 »
It has the same internals as the Focus 2001 so I'm assuming it's Simplified?
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline zwmalone

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 369
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 13:50:32 »
According to google this keyboard is a rebranded Chicony KB-7001.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline Chloe

  • Posts: 679
  • Switch Kitten
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 13:52:33 »
They are original "complicated" ALPS, not simplified.

Offline zwmalone

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 369
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 13:54:04 »
So these are original ALPS?

EDIT:
200 Posts Woo!
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline zwmalone

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 369
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 14:25:08 »
Quote from: lowpoly;17744
Sometimes used boards need a little care. It could have been worse. Nothing is missing for ex. And the spiral cable is still tightly wound. I hate it when those are stretched. Impossible to fix.

Nice 'board all in all. :)

Thanks LowPoly :)
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline lowpoly

  • Posts: 1749
New computer or new keyboard?
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 14:50:13 »
Quote from: webwit;17756
http://park16.wakwak.com/~ex4/kb/restore_cable.htm
Thanks.

I'll be more cautious with the word 'impossible' from now on. :)

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today