Author Topic: Duck Black Bird Kustom Group Buy  (Read 179883 times)

Offline kenshinjeff

Re: Duck Black Bird Kustom Group Buy
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 19:40:14 »
Paid, thanks again Elton!

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 19:40:33 »
I thought I'm gonna be the first to post "Paid" T_T
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Butter

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 19:49:39 »
Paid!!

Offline megaforce

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 20:35:03 »
Hmm do we have the option of not getting our cases anodized? :)
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline elton5354

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 20:57:42 »

Well, if you do want that, it can be an option..lol I'll ask.

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 21:21:02 »

I second this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 21:29:51 »

I second this!

By all means, ask, but most places won't do it. Anodizing is done as part of the finishing process, so pulling some out of the workflow is extra labor. The other option is to not finish at all after machining. That's not usually done either because pieces directly out of machining do not look good. And no matter how many assurances you have from a client that "I know the risks, I don't care how it comes out" inevitably someone will balk and say that it wasn't what they expected/paid for.

Offline breitling

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 23:14:08 »
Paid! kind of wondering if i should have gotten black instead of silver though... since its a Black Bird, not a Silver Bird.

Offline boo

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 23:18:43 »
Do Stainless steel plates rust over time? Just wondering if i should change to aluminum

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 23:30:30 »
Do Stainless steel plates rust over time? Just wondering if i should change to aluminum

Short answer: no.

Pedantic answer: they can under certain conditions. Stainless is very resistant to oxidation, but is not rust proof. Different alloys have different levels of resistance. Environment plays a large part, as moisture and salts can accelerate the process.  Realistically, unless you are typing on the beach in salt spray all day long you're unlikely to have oxidation for as long as keyboards are used as an interface. Generally all quality steel alloys are very stable. I don't have any oxidation on my not-even-remotely-stainless kitchen knives and all I do is wipe them down after use.

Offline boo

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 23:50:16 »

Pedantic answer: they can under certain conditions. Stainless is very resistant to oxidation, but is not rust proof. Different alloys have different levels of resistance. Environment plays a large part, as moisture and salts can accelerate the process.  Realistically, unless you are typing on the beach in salt spray all day long you're unlikely to have oxidation for as long as keyboards are used as an interface. Generally all quality steel alloys are very stable. I don't have any oxidation on my not-even-remotely-stainless kitchen knives and all I do is wipe them down after use.

Ah the reason why I ask is because my "cheap" das keyboard is seeing rust on its plate so was wondering if that will happen with kustoms.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 01:02:54 »

Ah the reason why I ask is because my "cheap" das keyboard is seeing rust on its plate so was wondering if that will happen with kustoms.

I have no authoritative knowledge of it, but I strongly suspect keyboards engineered to meet a retail price point* will have mild steel plates that are punched and coated. I find it hard to believe anyone would bother putting a nice stainless plate in a plastic case. It is still troubling that you would have rust spots, which I would not expect unless the keyboard was a spill victim, you live on a boat, the surface was damaged, or there was a manufacturing defect.

*the nice way to say "cheap"

Offline boo

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 01:43:20 »

I have no authoritative knowledge of it, but I strongly suspect keyboards engineered to meet a retail price point* will have mild steel plates that are punched and coated. I find it hard to believe anyone would bother putting a nice stainless plate in a plastic case. It is still troubling that you would have rust spots, which I would not expect unless the keyboard was a spill victim, you live on a boat, the surface was damaged, or there was a manufacturing defect.

Well I live in a dry CA weather here but I do think that the plate is of lower inferior quality in order for the company to have some margins. It isn't the case with Duck tho.

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 03:50:46 »
Duck has long been known for the quality of his anodized cases... Some might even say they're perfect.  This has got to be a first.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 04:29:31 »
Paid, definitely my most expensive KB related purchase ever.

Offline breitling

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 07:55:21 »

Well I live in a dry CA weather here but I do think that the plate is of lower inferior quality in order for the company to have some margins. It isn't the case with Duck tho.

yes, the das plates are not stainless steel, which is why they oxidize over time. they are coated in black in order to reduce it, but it still happens.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 08:53:00 »
Elton, do you how the second batch of 30 will be handled in regards to the timeline?  Will they be made simultaneously with the first batch or will they be made X weeks/months after the first batch has been finished?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline brighenne

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 09:02:35 »

Also interested in the answer to this one.

Offline brighenne

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 09:05:00 »

Also interested in the answer to this one.

Duck has long been known for the quality of his anodized cases... Some might even say they're perfect.  This has got to be a first.

If all you want is a solid dust color, sure. But there is a lot of cool stuff you can do with anodizing beyond that. Plus, a lot of folks don't like black or silver.

edit- oops meant to edit not quote..
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 August 2016, 09:27:59 by brighenne »

Offline duzeyao

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 09:32:58 »
Paid. Waiting for the board.  :thumb:
你绝版的婊子妈坟

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 10:12:37 »
Paid, definitely my most expensive KB related purchase ever.
Get what you pay for... You're gonna love it!

Offline maximm

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 16:47:28 »
Got to the conclusion that since im building an ISO layout the extra PCB/Plate option would be good to allow an ANSI build if the time comes.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 19:20:01 »
Sorry, non-anodized case is not offered..

I'll invoice the rest tonight. If you have any changes, please tell me before paying the invoice!

Offline tuco

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:11:42 »
Paid! Thanks elton5354!

Offline TTR

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 21:15:00 »
Paid. Thank you, elton. Just curious about the estimated shipping time for batch 2...
HHKB-S / Realforce 87U/ Corsair K70 RGB RED/ Filco 87 Cream Green Blue/ G710 Blue/  Duck Black Bird/ Novatouch /Apple Extended Keyboard II SKCM Damped

Offline baotung

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 22:25:38 »
paid.

Offline brighenne

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 22:55:15 »
Also paid.

Offline Chedda7

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 22:56:21 »
Do the two rounds run back to back or at the same time?

Offline gnarlsagan

• Billions and billions... of keycaps.
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 09:45:29 »
Paid!

So what caps are you guys putting on your Black Birds?

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 09:46:27 »
Paid!

I'm planning either Skidata+ or Skeletor.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 10:02:07 »
Paid.

Caps-wise, I have the MD carbons coming, which will at least do a modeling session on the board. But I'm thinking black on blacks (I ordered the board in all black) are going to be appropriate - this thing just screams low-profile monochrome. At least to the extent that screams can be low-profile.

Offline gnarlsagan

• Billions and billions... of keycaps.
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 10:04:51 »
Paid.

Caps-wise, I have the MD carbons coming, which will at least do a modeling session on the board. But I'm thinking black on blacks (I ordered the board in all black) are going to be appropriate - this thing just screams low-profile monochrome. At least to the extent that screams can be low-profile.

Completely agree. I'm thinking either all white or all black round 6, or a mix of white and black. Too bad I blew it and didn't order a numpad.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 11:01:24 »
Paid!

SKIDATA+ is the current plan, but that is always subject to change.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 11:49:27 »
Paid!

WoB is my favorite. So either that, or Dolch.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline wodan

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 11:53:40 »
Carbon, hopefully with an international kit.

Maybe some Cherry Dyesubs until that arrives. Aiming for a classic look here.

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 14:04:34 »
Paid as well!

Paid!

Gonna rock the skull squadron dsa on it

Offline alveeno

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 14:23:36 »
Paid! Also wondering about second batch

Offline maximm

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 15:24:32 »
Help me out here. I cant decide if i want to go black/silver or black/black.

The Black/Silver looks so good without the RGB lightning, but the black/black looks best with it. How can it be so hard to decide!

Offline elton5354

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 15:42:40 »
Paid. Thank you, elton. Just curious about the estimated shipping time for batch 2...
It's about a month after the 1st batch is shipped.

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 15:56:02 »
Whats the estimated shipping date of the first batch? Also how long do you think it will take to arrive in the US?

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 17:13:30 »
PAID! 

Thanks again, Elton, for making this happen. I imagine running something like this takes a great deal of personal time, and I appreciate that. Im geeked to get my first "real" custom board!

Offline boo

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 17:29:25 »
just paid! Thanks!

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 18:00:10 »
Hi Elton, is there any chance I/we can get the dimension of the board?
I'm planning to make a board sleeve for it and hoping it will be ready before this baby come :)
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 20:52:29 »
Paid up!  Now to get some soldering equipment :thumb:

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 22:17:24 »
Paid! Already have a keyset layout planned for this beast, can't wait :thumb:

Thank you Elton and Duck!
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline raymogi

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 23:02:09 »
Hi Elton, is there any chance I/we can get the dimension of the board?
I'm planning to make a board sleeve for it and hoping it will be ready before this baby come :)

This.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 11:15:10 »
All paid up!  Thanks Elton and Duck!

Offline maximm

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 14:35:31 »
What happened to the acrylic plate @elton5354? Will it be made?

And to those requesting an unanodized case: http://duck0113.tistory.com/90
Its already been made before
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 August 2016, 14:39:25 by maximm »

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 15:00:12 »
What happened to the acrylic plate @elton5354? Will it be made?

He told me in a PM that there won't be acrylic plates (he said he also wished they were available).

In case anyone wants to know this: it is also not possible to add only a PCB, just a combo of plate and PCB

Offline maximm

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 15:05:16 »
Why wont there be acrylic plates? Could we get WKL or SPRiT to help us run a GB for them?