Author Topic: [IC] 651 Keyboard - A Minimalist 65% - Project Open Sourced  (Read 39490 times)

Offline spooknik

Project is open sourced now. Please use the files for whatever you wish  ;D

Project Site

Hello everyone,

This is Spooknik from Keyboard Collective. I have a design for a 65% keyboard design that I'd like to do an interest check for. 

It's called the 651 Keyboard. 65% + First design = 651.

Please fill  out the IC form here.

About

The 651 is based on Scandinavian Modern Movement of design. It emphasizes a minimalism and simplicity combined with functionalism and aesthetics. I'd done my best to incorporate all of these traits into the 651 Keyboard.

• Simplistic - Large bezel that is equal distance the whole way around. 
  • Minimalism - There are no outward facing logos, branding, screws, or seams. No unnecessary curves, fillets, or chamfers. Everything you need nothing you don't.
  • Functionalism - The side profile has cutouts that allow the user to pick up and move the keyboard easily. Large chamfer protects edges from damage. All parts are held together by the same length M3 screws.
  • Aesthetics - Modern and simple looks that will stay timeless for years. The bezel and large chamfer allows a better transition between your desk and keycaps. Heavy and solid board.

I've written a small article about my design philosophy if anyone cares to read it.

Details

Case:
Blocker or Non-Blocker bottom row [Depends on IC numbers]
6061 Alu
65% Layout
Unibody Design
Top mount
7 Degree Angle
2.5 kg (5.5 lbs)

Plate:
1.5 mm plate
Screws to case with 12 M3x5mm
Brass, Aluminum and maybe POM
Supports ANSI and ISO
Separate MX and Alps Plates

Weight:
Internal
Sandblasted Brass
Natural color PVD coating
Not Shiny
~0.6 kg (1.3 lbs)

PCB:
QMK
USB-C
ESD Protection
MX & ALPS
RGB Underglow
LED backlighting for key swtiches
Maybe Bluetooth [Voice your opinion in IC]

Layouts

MX Layout

Alps Layout

Pictures

Brass PVD Sample

Internal Weight - View of bottom from inside.

Plate Assembly

Bottom Assembly

Back Profile

Maybe more pictures on Google Photos

Current Status

Two prototypes have been made.

IC form is live and community feedback is welcomed!

Please fill  out the IC form here.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 February 2020, 23:26:04 by spooknik »

Offline dexie

Re: [IC] 651 Keyboard - A Minimalist 65%
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 02:20:49 »
Those renders have Rama vibes. Thick bezels are not my thing, but design definitely looks really cool.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ISO Life

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 02:22:46 »
Interested

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Offline spooknik

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 02:27:28 »
Interested

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

:thumb:

Those renders have Rama vibes. Thick bezels are not my thing, but design definitely looks really cool.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Rama is a huge inspiration for me. No surprise there's some similarities between our styles.  ;)

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 08:47:18 »
Love it but I feel like functionality wise it doesn't offer "more" than other boards. Nothing seems super outstanding exept for design.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Kaktus

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:03:23 »
Definitely interested if there is a dark grey version.  :thumb:

Offline lac29

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:06:08 »
Love it but I feel like functionality wise it doesn't offer "more" than other boards. Nothing seems super outstanding exept for design.

Meh, I think very few boards offer something most people would call truly new or innovative. All of them rely on aesthetics and design.

I'd like to see Bluetooth implemented as I'm still waiting for it to become a mainstream feature in custom kbs (especially 65%). I like the consistent use of one type of screw and general design philosophy. The keysets in one or two of the photos/renders looked high ... is there a typical distance keycaps are set under the level of the surrounding bezel of the case?

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:09:30 »

Meh, I think very few boards offer something most people would call truly new or innovative. All of them rely on aesthetics and design.

I'd like to see Bluetooth implemented as I'm still waiting for it to become a mainstream feature in custom kbs (especially 65%). I like the consistent use of one type of screw and general design philosophy. The keysets in one or two of the photos/renders looked high ... is there a typical distance keycaps are set under the level of the surrounding bezel of the case?
True I agree with your statement. You can't really offer something really new... In this hobby you need to choose your board. Choose one that you think is perfect for you. Because buying any board beyond that will make no sense as they are similar.

Offline spooknik

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:20:01 »
Definitely interested if there is a dark grey version.  :thumb:

There will be an option for this color. Here's a color sample render.

So far the IC has been very positive towards Bluetooth. I'll try to make it happen if it's feasible. But people will likely have to pick between a weight and a battery.

For the keycap height in the renders I just tried to a line things based on the height of MX switches, probably wasn't totally accurate in the render. But the prototype turned out correct for keycap height. I used matt3o's guide for calculating the height of the top from the plate.

It's a good point you bring up. The board functionality wise is not revolutionary, but it's not about that.

It's about functionalist - the design of the board is shaped by the function.

i.e. the side notches in the board are there not because they look cool, but because you need them to lift a heavy board when you need to adjust it on your desk. Similarly the notches on either side of the weight are designed so you can install it without pinching fingers.

Offline kristmascane

• emilia is trash
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:25:31 »
Wew thats a lot of plate mounting points. If you're going for a really stiff board, that'll do it.

Offline spooknik

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:36:18 »
Wew thats a lot of plate mounting points. If you're going for a really stiff board, that'll do it.

Yea, it's pretty solid if you want it to be. Otherwise if you only screw in 8 of the screws and has a bit of flex.

I really want to try to make POM plates a thing for the GB so people can have the flex if they want it.

Offline rowie

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:41:12 »
Interested to see where this goes. I filled out the form. Glad to see a keyboard with nice thick bezels. I don’t own one yet so I’m shopping around. Thick bezels offers a nice frame for my keycap collection. Plus I don’t feel like I’m being cheated out of material with the common thin bezel keyboards out in the wild. If I’m going to pay premium prices then I surely want as much material that a premium keyboard can offer.

Offline spooknik

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 10:02:40 »
Interested to see where this goes. I filled out the form. Glad to see a keyboard with nice thick bezels. I don’t own one yet so I’m shopping around. Thick bezels offers a nice frame for my keycap collection. Plus I don’t feel like I’m being cheated out of material with the common thin bezel keyboards out in the wild. If I’m going to pay premium prices then I surely want as much material that a premium keyboard can offer.

Thanks for the support  :D

Offline Myoth

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 11:40:34 »
looks nice, but something turns me off about the layouts, there is no "true" tsangan, like this : http://prntscr.com/nr1305

would you consider adding it ?

Offline xantiema

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 12:11:15 »
So excited for this, question is how many to purchase  :))

I feel like the standard weight-less design is far more aesthetic and flush with the rest of the design principles. Something off about the two screws holding in the weight and the two indents on each side - have you considered other methods of attachment or are those too complex (increasing price / manufacturing difficulty?) - was thinking of screw-in from the inside or like a drop-in to a larger square, with the smaller portruding frm the backside etc.

Offline spooknik

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 12:57:46 »
looks nice, but something turns me off about the layouts, there is no "true" tsangan, like this : http://prntscr.com/nr1305

would you consider adding it ?

I can try to make it fit, but the bottom row is pretty 'crowded' on the PCB. I can't promise anything.

So excited for this, question is how many to purchase  :))

I feel like the standard weight-less design is far more aesthetic and flush with the rest of the design principles. Something off about the two screws holding in the weight and the two indents on each side - have you considered other methods of attachment or are those too complex (increasing price / manufacturing difficulty?) - was thinking of screw-in from the inside or like a drop-in to a larger square, with the smaller portruding frm the backside etc.

Thanks for the nice words!

The two indents on the side of the weight are do you can install and uninstall the weight without pinching your fingers.
I'll see what I can do about the design of it though, I wanted to take another look. Would be cool to have a brass logo on the back that is also the weight. We'll see how it goes :)

Offline Vireca

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 13:39:42 »
Really cool design but the bezels. I mean, i like them but they usually makes typing a bit difficult or uncomfortable.

Any idea about the price?

Offline spooknik

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 15:00:51 »
Really cool design but the bezels. I mean, i like them but they usually makes typing a bit difficult or uncomfortable.

Any idea about the price?

It doesn't make typing unconformable for me and others who have tested it (around 4-5 people). Comfort is subjective, so if typing on a Novatouch is uncomfortable because of the reach, then this probably will be too.

Price is TBD at this point. I'll do my best to keep the prices as affordable as possible.

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 16:24:44 »
I saw a good number of colour options. For things like the white and black, will these be electrophoresis, cerakote, or MAO? Also do you have an idea of what the purple shade would be?

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 17:33:21 »
interested.
The design of the weight and bottom case is attractive.

Offline spooknik

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 23:34:25 »
I saw a good number of colour options. For things like the white and black, will these be electrophoresis, cerakote, or MAO? Also do you have an idea of what the purple shade would be?

Black will be regular ol' sandblasted anodization .
White will be via electrophoresis.
The purple i'm aiming for will be close to CA66's purple. (not an exact match, but just in that area or more on the blue side)

interested.
The design of the weight and bottom case is attractive.

Thanks for the support :)

Offline Xynerorias

• Lubin' with glicerin
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 06:43:31 »
YES my dude! Full black with no blocker is so nice looking, so clean!

Offline spooknik

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 08:30:45 »
YES my dude! Full black with no blocker is so nice looking, so clean!

Glad you like it, thanks for the support!

Offline spooknik

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 09:51:06 »
[Update]

PCB prototypes have arrived.  :thumb:

Also a picture with Alps swtiches and AEK/M0116 Caps.

Offline Kaktus

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 10:03:45 »
Looks very promising. Do you have any idea what the grey color will look like?

I hope it's kinda dark. I think this could be absolutely amazing combined with oblivion v2. :)

Offline spooknik

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 11:38:17 »

I hope it's kinda dark. I think this could be absolutely amazing combined with oblivion v2. :)

I'm aiming for this shade of grey. So on the darker end. Keep in mind it's just a render IRL it'll probably be darker.

Offline Kaktus

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 12:34:29 »

I'm aiming for this shade of grey. So on the darker end. Keep in mind it's just a render IRL it'll probably be darker.

Show Image

That looks actually really good :) Do you think you will produce a real life sample before the group buy phase starts? So that we have actual Photos of the colors?

Offline spooknik

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 15:31:19 »

Show Image

That looks actually really good :) Do you think you will produce a real life sample before the group buy phase starts? So that we have actual Photos of the colors?

Yes, hopefully we can do color samples to show during the GB, so people can know exactly what color things will be. We'll do a few more prototypes, so those can also be used for color sampling.

Offline PvtSkittles

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 14:02:21 »
I really love the look of the non-spacered version - everything is nice and uniform. With the spacered version, I can't help but wonder if the bezels were kept at a uniform width with the spacer, but then that takes away from the main feature of the chunky bezels I feel like.

Offline spooknik

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 01:48:27 »
I really love the look of the non-spacered version - everything is nice and uniform. With the spacered version, I can't help but wonder if the bezels were kept at a uniform width with the spacer, but then that takes away from the main feature of the chunky bezels I feel like.

Thanks for the support!

That's an interesting idea, I might have to try to see what that looks like. I think you're right, it sorta defeats the idea of the thick bezels. The spacer is 0.5U which is about 0.9525‬ cm. The bezels are about 1.9 cm so it would need to loose like 1cm of 'chuck'.

Offline hicals

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 01:44:14 »
Is there a quantity limit?
When does GB begin?
Will there be additional yellow?

Offline spooknik

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 05:33:47 »
Is there a quantity limit?
When does GB begin?
Will there be additional yellow?

No limit is planned.

I don't know when the GB will start, the IC is still running. I'd like to do a final prototype and maybe color samples before a GB though.

Probably won't be a yellow color, I don't see it being very popular.

Offline Marutks

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 11:46:06 »
I like this board. It looks good with MT3 keycaps.

+ It would be nice to have plate with ANSI Enter ONLY cutouts.  I don't like huge ISO Enter cutouts.
+ Center USB port would be better.   

Offline spooknik

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 12:07:43 »

+ It would be nice to have plate with ANSI Enter ONLY cutouts.  I don't like huge ISO Enter cutouts.

Thanks for the interesting and feedback.

Unfortunately, the plate will be universal. Sorry if this doesn't appeal to you, but I want to try to suppose as many people as possible. Being an ISO user myself, this is pretty important to me. I will however release plate files that are ANSI or ISO only, so you can laser cut your own plate. Hopefully that's a fair a solution

The USB port in the middle i'm open to, I can try to see how the looks in CAD.

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 14:39:36 »

Unfortunately, the plate will be universal. Sorry if this doesn't appeal to you, but I want to try to suppose as many people as possible. Being an ISO user myself, this is pretty important to me. I will however release plate files that are ANSI or ISO only, so you can laser cut your own plate. Hopefully that's a fair a solution

As a fellow ISO user I’d like to chime in and say I’m really happy you’re going universal for this. Plenty of boards that do ANSI only and don’t provide an ISO option at all.

Offline spooknik

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 01:32:11 »

As a fellow ISO user I’d like to chime in and say I’m really happy you’re going universal for this. Plenty of boards that do ANSI only and don’t provide an ISO option at all.

Cheers  :thumb:

Offline spooknik

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 00:13:42 »

Just an update. I put the USB in the center and it looks pretty good. I think I'll go with this.

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 00:30:23 »
Fellow ISO user chiming in, thanks for standing up for us!
Is the USB a daughterboard, or will it be on the main PCB?

Offline spooknik

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 07:09:57 »
Fellow ISO user chiming in, thanks for standing up for us!
Is the USB a daughterboard, or will it be on the main PCB?

:thumb:

It will be on the main PCB. Similar to the how the Canoe PCB does it.

Offline FatOldGuy

• SA4Lyfe
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 08:44:52 »
Love the clean aesthetic! I can see this being my first f-row-less build.

Cool story... I added a note about to the IC form about how it would be nice to see a numpad with the same design style. Directly after submitting, I poke around the website and see there is an exact match, the 201 Numpad! Unfortunately it has been put on the back-burner... but at least there is hope.

Offline spooknik

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 12:13:34 »
Love the clean aesthetic! I can see this being my first f-row-less build.

Cool story... I added a note about to the IC form about how it would be nice to see a numpad with the same design style. Directly after submitting, I poke around the website and see there is an exact match, the 201 Numpad! Unfortunately it has been put on the back-burner... but at least there is hope.

Thanks for the support!

I'd love to do a run of the 201. I don't make any promises but maybe after the 651 is done and the dust is settled. We'd probably need like 30 or 35 people on board, I think that's a tall order for a numpad. But I'm open to trying.

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 02:26:22 »
If this has both non-solder swappable switches and Bluetooth, count me in!
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline derPuntigamer

• NorDe is nonnegotiable
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 08:55:25 »
If the price is not too high, I will probably prefer this to the upcoming Keebwerk .mega. Let's see if I can resist ISO hotswap for a 65% board.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 June 2019, 09:30:26 by derPuntigamer »

Offline obtuse

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 10:36:48 »
This looks really slick, I'm in! Getting some rama vibes from it

Offline spooknik

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 00:24:29 »

Bluetooth is a strong possibility. Many many people asked for it in the IC. Hotswap will not be possible with all the layouts I want to support.

This looks really slick, I'm in! Getting some rama vibes from it

Thanks, I really look up to Rama so it's a huge compliment :)

If the price is not too high, I will probably prefer this to the upcoming Keebwerk .nano. Let's see if I can resist ISO hotswap for a 65% board.

Thanks for the interest! Hopefully we can make it a good price, we've gotten a huge amount of people who filled out the IC.

Offline swangful

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 00:32:29 »

Just an update. I put the USB in the center and it looks pretty good. I think I'll go with this.

Show Image

Have you considered lowering the USB port? Thats super tall

Offline spooknik

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 02:06:29 »

Show Image

Have you considered lowering the USB port? Thats super tall

I'll look into it. I actually think the render isn't correct and it's higher than it should be. But the USB will be part of the main PCB so it will be a bit higher in general.

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 01:28:09 »
Love the chunky bezels! The non blockered look is definitely cleaner imo. Following with interest!

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 20:29:17 »
Bluetooth is a strong possibility. Many many people asked for it in the IC. Hotswap will not be possible with all the layouts I want to support.

Regarding no-hotswap, fair enough - Bluetooth and reprogramming will be the deciders for me. I’ll have to find someone who can solder switches though! :)

Looks great!
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline spooknik

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 01:03:17 »

Regarding no-hotswap, fair enough - Bluetooth and reprogramming will be the deciders for me. I’ll have to find someone who can solder switches though! :)

Looks great!

I'm working with someone on the Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure it won't be QMK, but it will be something like TMK instead. Eitherway it will be reprogrammable in someway. 

Love the chunky bezels! The non blockered look is definitely cleaner imo. Following with interest!

Thanks a lot for the interest  :thumb: