Author Topic: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO  (Read 893699 times)

Offline AJM

Re: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO
« Reply #1600 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 12:41:07 »
Well, you can always use the slighty crude method and program:

<WIN>+<R>
D:\script.bat
<ENTER>

Offline ModernRetro

« Reply #1601 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 03:24:05 »
I bought this keyboard: Epson QX-10 keyboard.
I think it needs to be converted. (https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=21416)
Can I get any external converter for this?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1602 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 09:44:32 »
I bought this keyboard: Epson QX-10 keyboard.
I think it needs to be converted. (https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=21416)
Can I get any external converter for this?

I believe that the Epson's have their own protocol that isn't supported by Soarer's. Snacksthecat on deskthority figured out the epson protocol, but the board itself may only support 1KRO, which is pretty much unusable.

Best bet is probably to trace the matrix, wire the rows and columns to a teensy 2.0, and use QMK to make firmware for it. I have a QX503A and that's what I'm planning on doing with mine.

Offline kelvinhall05

• LinusTechTips
« Reply #1603 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:13:14 »
Hi, do you think I could use this microcontroller? I don't want to wait possibly months for shipping from China or pay $25+ to get it in a week or so.
https://www.amazon.ca/ATmega32U4-Development-Microcontroller-Leonardo-Bootloader/dp/B07WPCLF8Y/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=ATmega32U4&qid=1573150246&sr=8-4
I'm looking to convert a terminal Model M to USB. Thanks!

Offline SuccnYeet

« Reply #1604 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 20:04:48 »
Anyone able to help me with thiss? I've been trying to convert a Reuters D3D keyboard for quite some time now and have had no luck.  :(

It uses a 25 pin parralel port. I have managed to get it to output some codes using a pro micro and some random pins on the 25pin. I have flashed using soarers at2usb but I cannot get any unique scancodes for each keypress. just 'rFF r05' and such....

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #1605 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 20:35:13 »
What that log shows is only errors on reading signals and the converter doesnt' recognize it.
The keyboard speaks proprietary protocol and you need this breakout box to convert it and get PS/2 output probably. http://i.imgur.com/rLsNk1D.jpg

Try this to look into the proprietary protocol. You may want to buy logic analyzer in the market instead.
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4567&start=

Offline ivanthetolerable

« Reply #1606 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 08:33:41 »
Hi, do you think I could use this microcontroller? I don't want to wait possibly months for shipping from China or pay $25+ to get it in a week or so.
https://www.amazon.ca/ATmega32U4-Development-Microcontroller-Leonardo-Bootloader/dp/B07WPCLF8Y/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=ATmega32U4&qid=1573150246&sr=8-4

Fellow Canuck here. I tried that and I couldn't get the firmware to flash properly. It could be that I was just doing it wrong but I ended up returning it. I ordered a few Teensy 2.0 from China to Ontario and it took only 2 weeks. Not that bad.

Offline ivanthetolerable

« Reply #1607 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 13:32:50 »
Has anyone had the issue "block too large" when trying to create a lot of macros?

Offline kelvinhall05

• LinusTechTips
« Reply #1608 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 08:42:38 »

Fellow Canuck here. I tried that and I couldn't get the firmware to flash properly. It could be that I was just doing it wrong but I ended up returning it. I ordered a few Teensy 2.0 from China to Ontario and it took only 2 weeks. Not that bad.
Maybe I should have posted an update. I got it to work and wrote a guide here:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1125819-how-to-convert-a-terminal-ibm-model-m/

Offline antigua1103

« Reply #1609 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 15:06:12 »
I just tried this out with my amtelco kb163 and it works so I no longer need a bunch of adapters but as I looked at the codes the key use in hopes to use the extra keys as macros or other functions they are all mapped to corresponding keys on the keyboard but the codes are rather different has anyone else come across this?

Offline JakeyPancakey

« Reply #1610 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 13:37:02 »
I purchased an IBM Model F without a cable off eBay recently and have been struggling to figure out which pins inside the keyboard itself I should connect to the breadboard and Teensy. I looked through all the pinouts and previous posts in the guide but couldn't find anything that looked like this. Can anybody help me sort out which pins are which (i.e. Vcc, Gnd, Data, Clock)?

233409-0

I know there was a picture in the thread of the cables and I can get a vague idea of where the pins are supposed to go, but the picture is taken from a perspective that does not make it entirely clear. Thanks for the guide and help!

Offline matalog

« Reply #1611 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 22:23:08 »
I have a Filco MJ2 ordered.  Obviously I want to see the NKRO in action on my PC which has only USB in.

I ordered a Teensy 2.0, ps/2 socket, usb type A male to type B.  Have the hex code of Soarer's Converter, and Teensy Programming software for windows.

I will have to connect ports of the teensy to the ps/2 socket GND, VCC, CLOCK and DATA, then program the Teensy with the ATmega32U4 hex file.  When I then power on the teensy connected to ps/2 and usb the next time, Will my keyboard be working already?  Or will I have to take some other steps I haven't mentioned?

I don't want anything fancy, no remapping or function keys, no lights on teensy, no aux keys.  Just that the Filco keyboard is NKRO on windows through USB.

Thanks for any tips :-).

matalog.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #1612 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 23:05:36 »
I have a Filco MJ2 ordered.  Obviously I want to see the NKRO in action on my PC which has only USB in.

I ordered a Teensy 2.0, ps/2 socket, usb type A male to type B.  Have the hex code of Soarer's Converter, and Teensy Programming software for windows.

I will have to connect ports of the teensy to the ps/2 socket GND, VCC, CLOCK and DATA, then program the Teensy with the ATmega32U4 hex file.  When I then power on the teensy connected to ps/2 and usb the next time, Will my keyboard be working already?  Or will I have to take some other steps I haven't mentioned?

I don't want anything fancy, no remapping or function keys, no lights on teensy, no aux keys.  Just that the Filco keyboard is NKRO on windows through USB.

Thanks for any tips :-).

matalog.

It should work right away.
REΛLFORCE

Offline ivanthetolerable

« Reply #1613 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 23:55:45 »
Hey guys,

I've been driving myself crazy lately. I'm trying to program one of the Extra_F keys to have a different effect when I press it + Shift or CTRL. I.E, right now Extra_F1 is set to copy, but I want it to launch calculator when I press Shift+ Extra_F1. Any idea? I feel like I've tried everything

Offline edlee

« Reply #1614 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 19:12:07 »
I can create a shortcut to the Calculator on the Windows 7 Desktop by right clicking on the Windows Desktop and selecting New / Shortcut. 

Enter the location of the Calculator program:

%windir%\system32\calc.exe

Type a name for the shortcut or accept the default name and click on the Finish button.  Double click on the shortcut to see if the location is correct and the shortcut works.  The Properties of the shortcut can be accessed by right clicking on the shortcut and selecting Properties from the context menu that appears.  One of the Properties is, "Shortcut key:".  Click in the text box to the right of, "Shortcut key:", and press the key combination that you want to activate the program.  I pressed:

Ctrl Alt C

This key combination is unlikely to be used by any of the Windows programs that I run.  Windows will display, "Ctrl + Alt + C", but I don't do that, because the extra + signs confuse some people into thinking they have to press the + sign when they shouldn't.  Click on the OK button to save your change to the Properties.

The macro in a Soarer configuration file to press Ctrl Alt C to activate the shortcut for the Calculator would look something like this:

macroblock
  macro EXTRA_F1
    PUSH_META CLEAR_META all
    SET_META LCTRL LALT
    PRESS c
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro
endblock

This is similar to one of the example macros in the documentation.  Other people would have to replace the, "EXTRA_F1", with what HID code or codes they want to activate the macro.  I have tested this macro with a different HID code on my keyboard.

Save this macro in a text file.  Drag and drop the text file onto the, "scasw.bat", file.

Offline edlee

« Reply #1615 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 19:54:14 »
I am using Soarer's Converter, which I purchased on eBay several years ago, on a Gateway AnyKey keyboard.  This keyboard has a built-in ability to remap keys to each other or to record macros.  When I press the right side Ctrl key, something goofy happens and the Scroll Lock toggles on or off.  If I use the keyboard's built-in ability to remap the left Ctrl key to the right side Ctrl key, then the problem goes away.  I don't think this is the fault of Soarer's Converter.  I originally got the following output from the, "hid_listen.exe", program after pressing the unmodified right Ctrl key:

rE0 r14 +E4 dE4 wED rFA w03 rFA
rE0 rF0 r14 -E4 uE4

When I press the keyboard's remap key sequence Remap, Left Ctrl, Right Ctrl, Remap and run the hid_listen program again, then I get the following more concise output after I press Right Ctrl:

r14 +E0 dE0
rF0 r14 -E0 uE0

Then the Scroll Lock behaves normally by not changing.  I write this because I am wondering if this bug is specific to my particular keyboard or if anyone else who has a Gateway AnyKey keyboard is experiencing this.

My model of Gateway AnyKey keyboard has a bottom row asterisk (*) key and a backslash (\) key in between the Ctrl and Alt keys in place of the Windows keys that are on modern keyboards.  I created a simple remapping configuration file for Soarer's Converter which solves this problem:

remapblock
  RALT RGUI
endblock

This makes the Right Alt key the Right Windows key.  I never use the Right Alt key, so it's easy to sacrifice this key.  I then use the built-in remap function of the GateWay AnyKey keyboard to assign the Right Alt key to the bottom row asterisk key and backslash key so I can use them as Windows keys.  Maybe someone else with a GateWay AnyKey keyboard will find this information useful.

Offline edlee

« Reply #1616 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 00:44:49 »
This should work for Shift F1:

macroblock
  macro EXTRA_F1 LSHIFT
    PUSH_META CLEAR_META all
    SET_META LCTRL LALT
    PRESS c
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro
endblock

This should work for Ctrl F1:

macroblock
  macro EXTRA_F1 LCTRL
    PUSH_META CLEAR_META all
    SET_META LCTRL LALT
    PRESS c
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro
endblock

Offline edlee

« Reply #1617 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 02:54:55 »
I think people who are new to Soarer's Converter need better examples of configuration files.  I spent the weekend looking through all of Soarer's posts to glean useful information.  Below is a sample configuration file.

Code: [Select]
# In Windows, you can drag and drop this configuration file to the, "scaswr.bat",
# batch file to configure Soarer's converter.  The name of this
# text file can end in *.txt or *.sc or anything else.  The *.txt extension
# might be more convenient in the Windows operating system so that you can
# double click on the file name to edit the file in the Notepad program.

# Soarer configuration files are case-insensitive.
# You can use tab or spaces characters to align text.
# Text to the right of # characters are comments.

ifselect any

layerblock
  FN1 1  # FN1 is a virtual key and is not the same thing as a physical F1 function key.
endblock

# Enter your default key mappings here:

remapblock
RALT RGUI # The Right Alt key becomes the Right Windows key
CAPS_LOCK FN1 # The CAPS_LOCK key becomes like a shift key into keyboard layer 1
endblock

remapblock
 layer 1
C EXSEL # CAPS_LOCK C is remapped to a key that is non-existent on my keyboard to trigger a macro
endblock

# Enter your default macro definitions here:

macroblock
  # Press Ctrl Break when CAPS_LOCK C is pressed
  macro EXSEL
    push_meta clear_meta all
    set_meta LCTRL
    press PAUSE
    pop_all_meta
  endmacro

# The gray number pad keys on my keyboard have no special meaning with modifiers,
  # so modifiers like Ctrl, Alt, Shift can be used with the keys for
  # NUM_LOCK / * - + ENTER on the number pad for macros.

# Pressing LEFT SHIFT with NUM LOCK toggles the Colemak keyboard layout.
  macro num_lock LSHIFT -ctrl -alt
    push_meta clear_meta all
    press SELECT_1  # SELECT_1 is not a physical key but a toggle like CAPS LOCK or NUM LOCK
    pop_all_meta
  endmacro

# Pressing LEFT CTRL with NUM LOCK toggles the Dvorak keyboard layout.
  macro num_lock LCTRL -shift -alt
    push_meta clear_meta all
    press SELECT_2  # SELECT_2 is not a physical key but a toggle like CAPS LOCK or NUM LOCK
    pop_all_meta
  endmacro

# Pressing LEFT ALT with NUM LOCK resets all select states and returns to qwerty layout
  macro num_lock LALT -ctrl -shift
    push_meta clear_meta all
    press select_0
    pop_all_meta
  endmacro

# Simultaneously pressing Left Shift and Right Shift is the same as pressing Caps Lock.
  # That frees up the Caps Lock key to be something more useful, such as the left Ctrl key (LCTRL).
  # There are 2 entries here for pressing the Shift keys in different orders.

macro LSHIFT RSHIFT -ctrl -alt
    press caps_lock  # This presses the actual Caps Lock key, not the remapped Caps Lock key.
  endmacro

macro RSHIFT LSHIFT -ctrl -alt
    press caps_lock
  endmacro

endblock

# The contents of the sample, "colemak.sc", and, "dvorak.sc", files are included
# here for easy adjustment.

ifselect 1

# Colemak keyboard layout.
# Holding down the LEFT SHIFT key and then pressing the NUM LOCK key
# toggles the Select 1 state and the Colemak keyboard layout.

remapblock
D S
E F
F T
G D
I U
J N
K E
L I
N K
O Y
P SEMICOLON
R P
S R
T G
U L
Y J
SEMICOLON O
endblock

ifselect 2

# Dvorak keyboard layout - contributed by Morning Song.
# Holding down the LEFT CTRL key and then pressing the NUM LOCK key
# toggles the Select 2 state and the Dvorak keyboard layout.

remapblock
MINUS LEFT_BRACE
EQUAL RIGHT_BRACE
Q QUOTE
W COMMA
E PERIOD
R P
T Y
Y F
U G
I C
O R
P L
LEFT_BRACE SLASH
RIGHT_BRACE EQUAL
# A A
S O
D E
F U
G I
H D
J H
K T
L N
SEMICOLON S
QUOTE MINUS
Z SEMICOLON
X Q
C J
V K
B X
N B
# M M
COMMA W
PERIOD V
SLASH Z
endblock

Offline edlee

« Reply #1618 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 02:33:14 »
I learned that Soarer's example for simultaneously pressing both SHIFT keys to act as CAPS LOCK results in shifting anomalies.  You have to execute, "clear_meta shift", before the line for CAPS_LOCK:

macro LSHIFT RSHIFT -ctrl -alt -gui
    clear_meta shift
    press CAPS_LOCK
  endmacro

macro RSHIFT LSHIFT -ctrl -alt -gui
    clear_meta shift
    press CAPS_LOCK
  endmacro

Offline edlee

« Reply #1619 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:35:56 »
I got Soarer's converter working with my Rosewill RK-9000V2 keyboard with Cherry MX blue switches.  The Rosewill RK-9000V2 keyboard came with both a PS/2 cable and a USB cable, either of which can be used with the keyboard.  Attached is the Soarer configuration file for the RK-9000V2 keyboard as an example for others.  An odd thing about this keyboard is that you have to force the set2ext keyboard protocol in the configuration file.  Another odd thing about this keyboard is that all of the Caps Lock , Num Lock, and Scroll Lock LED lights flash several times and then go dark whenever you toggle any of their settings.  If you type some keys while the LEDs are flashing, the keyboard locks up.  So, I created empty macros to disable Num Lock and Scroll Lock to avoid accidentally pressing them.

Offline edlee

« Reply #1620 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:23:06 »
Here is an excerpt from my latest configuration file.  A user on the Deskthority web site gave a long example of creating a SELECT configuration with a macro for each letter to capitalize every letter and replace the space character with an underline character, but there is a far more concise way to accomplish the same thing that uses less precious EEPROM memory in Soarer's converter.

macroblock
  # Pressing SCROLL_LOCK by itself toggles the case of letters with the space
  # character replaced by an underline character, SUCH_AS_THIS.  This works
  # with the Colemak, Dvorak, or default keyboard layouts.  This assumes
  # that the CAPS_LOCK is not already on.  If CAPS_LOCK is on, then when
  # you toggle on SELECT_3, the letters will be in lower case and the space
  # character will be an underline, such_as_this.  If you press the Right Shift
  # key while in the SELECT_3 configuration, then the shift will be toggled off,
  # resulting in text such-as-this.  In this situation, press SCROLL_LOCK again
  # to turn the MINUS back into a SPACE and press the Right Shift key to release
  # the shift toggle.

macro SCROLL_LOCK -shift -ctrl -alt -gui
    toggle_meta RSHIFT
    press SELECT_3
  endmacro

endblock

ifselect 3

remapblock
  SPACE MINUS
endblock

Offline edlee

« Reply #1621 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 01:05:32 »
If you want to create a macro for automatically entering text, such as a mailing address, it can be very tedious to spell out all of the PRESS commands in a Soarer configuration file.  I wrote code in Visual Basic for Applications for use in a Word document to automate the generation of the PRESS commands.

' This routine prompts the user to enter a string and then generates the corresponding
' key press commands for use in a macro in a configuration file for Soarer's converter
' for adapting a keyboard with a PS/2 interface cable to a USB port.  You can copy
' and paste the resulting code into a Soarer configuration file or use an include statement.
'
' This code is written in Visual Basic for Applications for use in a Microsoft Word
' document.  You can press Alt F11 while in Microsoft Word to enter the Visual Basic
' environment.  You can then select Module from the Insert menu and copy this code into
' the module and run the GeneratePresses() routine.  Depending on what version of
' Microsoft Word you have and what security settings are in place, you might need to
' enable macros.  Some versions of Word might require you to save the Word document
' with a *.docm file name extension to be able to execute Visual Basic macros.
'
' 01 May 2020 Edward Lee.
'
Sub GeneratePresses()
  Dim s As String
  Dim c As String
  Dim i As Integer
  Dim Shifted As Boolean
  Dim CharacterCount As Integer

Shifted = False
  CharacterCount = 0

s = InputBox("Enter a string:")

For i = 1 To Len(s)
    c = Mid(s, i, 1)

' Is the character in upper case or shifted on the keyboard?
    If (c >= "A" And c <= "Z") Or c = "~" Or c = "!" Or c = "@" Or c = "#" Or c = "$" Or c = "%" Or c = "^" Or c = "&" Or c = "*" Or c = "(" Or c = ")" Or c = "_" Or c = "+" Or c = "{" Or c = "}" Or c = "|" Or c = ":" Or c = """" Or c = "<" Or c = ">" Or c = "?" Then
      ' If the shift state is not active, then activate shift
      If Not Shifted Then
        Shifted = True
        ActiveDocument.Content.InsertAfter "    set_meta LSHIFT" & Chr(13) & Chr(10)
      End If
    Else
      ' If the shift state is active, then deactivate shift
      If Shifted Then
        Shifted = False
        ActiveDocument.Content.InsertAfter "    clear_meta LSHIFT" & Chr(13) & Chr(10)
      End If
    End If

ActiveDocument.Content.InsertAfter "    press " & Name(c) & Chr(13) & Chr(10)
    CharacterCount = CharacterCount + 1
  Next i

' If the shift state is active, then deactivate shift
  If Shifted Then
    Shifted = False
    ActiveDocument.Content.InsertAfter "    clear_meta LSHIFT" & Chr(13) & Chr(10)
  End If

If CharacterCount > 63 Then ActiveDocument.Content.InsertAfter "  # Warning: The string is too long, requiring " & CharacterCount & " PRESS commands, which exceeds the limit of 63."

End Sub

' Given a character on a USA keyboard, this function
' returns the name to use in a PRESS command.
Function Name(c As String) As String
  Select Case c
    Case " "
      Name = "SPACE"
    Case "!"
      Name = "1" & Chr(9) & "# ! Exclamation"
    Case """"
      Name = "QUOTE" & Chr(9) & "# "" Double quote"
    Case "#"
      Name = "3" & Chr(9) & "# # Number sign"
    Case "$"
      Name = "4" & Chr(9) & "# $ Dollar sign"
    Case "%"
      Name = "5" & Chr(9) & "# % Percent"
    Case "&"
      Name = "7" & Chr(9) & "# & Ampersand"
    Case "'"
      Name = "QUOTE" & Chr(9) & "# ' Apostrophe or single quote"
    Case "("
      Name = "9" & Chr(9) & "# ( Opening parenthesis"
    Case ")"
      Name = "0" & Chr(9) & "# ) Closing parenthesis"
    Case "*"
      Name = "8" & Chr(9) & "# Asterisk"
    Case "+"
      Name = "EQUAL" & Chr(9) & "# Plus"
    Case ","
      Name = "COMMA" & Chr(9) & "# ,"
    Case "-"
      Name = "MINUS" & Chr(9) & "# -"
    Case "."
      Name = "PERIOD" & Chr(9) & "# ."
    Case "/"
      Name = "SLASH" & Chr(9) & "# / Forward slash"
    Case "0"
      Name = "0"
    Case "1"
      Name = "1"
    Case "2"
      Name = "2"
    Case "3"
      Name = "3"
    Case "4"
      Name = "4"
    Case "5"
      Name = "5"
    Case "6"
      Name = "6"
    Case "7"
      Name = "7"
    Case "8"
      Name = "8"
    Case "9"
      Name = "9"
    Case ":"
      Name = "SEMICOLON" & Chr(9) & "# : Colon"
    Case ";"
      Name = "SEMICOLON" & Chr(9) & "# ;"
    Case "<"
      Name = "COMMA" & Chr(9) & "# < Less than"
    Case "="
      Name = "EQUAL" & Chr(9) & "# ="
    Case ">"
      Name = "PERIOD" & Chr(9) & "# > Greater than"
    Case "?"
      Name = "SLASH" & Chr(9) & "# ? Question mark"
    Case "@"
      Name = "2" & Chr(9) & "# @ At sign"
    Case "A"
      Name = "A"
    Case "B"
      Name = "B"
    Case "C"
      Name = "C"
    Case "D"
      Name = "D"
    Case "E"
      Name = "E"
    Case "F"
      Name = "F"
    Case "G"
      Name = "G"
    Case "H"
      Name = "H"
    Case "I"
      Name = "I"
    Case "J"
      Name = "H"
    Case "K"
      Name = "K"
    Case "L"
      Name = "L"
    Case "M"
      Name = "M"
    Case "N"
      Name = "N"
    Case "O"
      Name = "O"
    Case "P"
      Name = "P"
    Case "Q"
      Name = "Q"
    Case "R"
      Name = "R"
    Case "S"
      Name = "S"
    Case "T"
      Name = "T"
    Case "U"
      Name = "U"
    Case "V"
      Name = "V"
    Case "W"
      Name = "W"
    Case "X"
      Name = "X"
    Case "Y"
      Name = "Y"
    Case "Z"
      Name = "Z"
    Case "["
      Name = "LEFT_BRACE" & Chr(9) & "# [ Opening square brace"
    Case "\"
      Name = "BACKSLASH" & Chr(9) & "# \"
    Case "]"
      Name = "RIGHT_BRACE" & Chr(9) & "# ] Closing square brace"
    Case "^"
      Name = "6" & Chr(9) & "# ^ Carat"
    Case "_"
      Name = "MINUS" & Chr(9) & "# _ Underline"
    Case "`"
      Name = "BACK_QUOTE" & Chr(9) & "# `"
    Case "a"
      Name = "a"
    Case "b"
      Name = "b"
    Case "c"
      Name = "c"
    Case "d"
      Name = "d"
    Case "e"
      Name = "e"
    Case "f"
      Name = "f"
    Case "g"
      Name = "g"
    Case "h"
      Name = "h"
    Case "i"
      Name = "i"
    Case "j"
      Name = "j"
    Case "k"
      Name = "k"
    Case "l"
      Name = "l"
    Case "m"
      Name = "m"
    Case "n"
      Name = "n"
    Case "o"
      Name = "o"
    Case "p"
      Name = "p"
    Case "q"
      Name = "q"
    Case "r"
      Name = "r"
    Case "s"
      Name = "s"
    Case "t"
      Name = "t"
    Case "u"
      Name = "u"
    Case "v"
      Name = "v"
    Case "w"
      Name = "w"
    Case "x"
      Name = "x"
    Case "y"
      Name = "y"
    Case "z"
      Name = "z"
    Case "{"
      Name = "LEFT_BRACE" & Chr(9) & "# { Opening curly brace"
    Case "|"
      Name = "BACKSLASH" & Chr(9) & "# | Vertical Pipe"
    Case "}"
      Name = "RIGHT_BRACE" & Chr(9) & "# Closing curly brace"
    Case "~"
      Name = "BACK_QUOTE" & Chr(9) & "# ~ Tilde"
    Case Else
      Name = "UNASSIGNED"
  End Select
End Function

Offline edlee

« Reply #1622 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 14:28:21 »
There is a bug in the, "hid_tokens.cpp", source file.  For some reason, Soarer commented out two lines for:

//{ "EXTRA_UNUSED_1",          0xB0 }, //  extra
//{ "EXTRA_UNUSED_2",          0xC1 }, //  extra

This causes the hid_token_list[] array indexes for the HID codes greater than 0xB0 to be decremented by 1 and the array indexes for the HID codes greater than 0xC1 to be decremented by another 1.  This causes the lookup_hid_token(int value) function to return the wrong HID name (token) for the HID values that are equal to or greater than 0xB0.  This potentially affects the, "scdis.cpp", program which uses the lookup_hid_token(int value) function to disassemble a binary *.scb file.

If the lookup_hid_token(int value) function is used in other source files which Soarer did not release, then those source files might be affected as well.

Offline edlee

« Reply #1623 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 23:34:02 »
You can use a female USB to male PS/2 KVM converter to attach to Soarer's converter to make Soarer's converter a USB to USB converter with all of Soarer's useful keyboard macro and remapping capabilities. There are 3 models that I was able to find on eBay:

Black Box kvusb-ps2

TRIPP LITE 0DT60002

NTI USB-PS2-R

I originally searched for something like, "USB PS/2 adapter", and waded through all of the listings for converters that work with opposite connectors with a female PS/2 to male USB connector.

The converters are priced in the range of $70 to $130. I am using the Tripp Lite 0DT60002 which has worked with a Rosewill RK-9000V2 (non-backlit, non-macro, PS/2 or USB) keyboard and a RK-9000V2 RGB (backlit, macro, USB) keyboard with USB cable. This Tripp Lite/Soarer converter combination is more stable than using the Rosewill RK-9000V2 (non-backlit) keyboard with PS/2 cable directly with Soarer's converter. The LEDs for Caps Lock, Scroll Lock, Num Lock do not properly function with the Rosewill RK-9000V2 (non-backlit) keyboard connected directly to Soarer's converter with a PS/2 cable, but the LED indicators do properly work with the Rosewill RK-9000V2 or Rosewill RK-9000V2 RGB keyboards connected by USB cable to the Tripp Lite converter which is then connected to Soarer's converter. I have also tried the Redragon Brahma Pro optical USB keyboard with the Tripp Lite/Soarer converter combination, and this keyboard works, too. You can use the built-in macro recording and playback capabilities of the Rosewill RK-9000V2 RGB and Redragon Brahma Pro keyboards which do not require any software and also use the macros of Soarer's converter. The non-backlit Rosewill RK-9000V2 keyboard version does not have any macro recording or playback capability. I do not like the slowness of the built-in macro playback on the Rosewill RK-9000V2 RGB keyboard or Redragon Brahma Pro keyboard. Soarer's macros play back much faster at full interface speed. I am still searching for a modern keyboard that can record and play back macros at full speed without any additional software to replace my Gateway Anykey keyboard, because some businesses do not allow unapproved software installation on their computers as a security measure. You might need the following two lines at the start of a Soarer configuration file to work with the Tripp Lite converter:

ifkeyboard 0000
force set2ext

ifkeyboard any

# set1 is the PC/XT keyboard scan code set.
# set2 is the AT keyboard scan code set.
# set2ext is the PS/2 keyboard scan code set.
# set3 is the 3179/318x/319x terminal keyboard scan code set.

Offline DV

« Reply #1624 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 17:31:30 »
Hello. I recently migrated to a new computer after my old one broke and the Soarer's converter is not compatible with my BIOS. It's an HP Z420 with BIOS version J61 v02.11. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1625 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 18:48:50 »

some businesses do not allow unapproved software installation on their computers as a security measure

I don't know the answer to your question, but imagine where an actual breakout board is acceptable but an old generic rubber dome keyboard isn't!

State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline edlee

« Reply #1626 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 20:19:46 »
I doubt that anyone other than Soarer can answer your question, DV.

fohat.digs, my Soarer's converter is a seamless, professional looking PS/2 to USB converter which I purchased on eBay.  It is not a breakout box.  I don't think any business would have trouble with letting people use something like this, because Soarer's converter can be used without installing software.

Offline edlee

« Reply #1627 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 20:46:22 »
Hey, DV, I just thought of something.  Maybe your new computer doesn't supply enough power in the USB port for both Soarer's converter and the external keyboard to which Soarer's converter is attached.  You could try plugging your external keyboard with Soarer's converter into a powered USB hub and then plug the USB hub into the your new computer.

Offline DV

« Reply #1628 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 22:14:44 »
I don’t have an external USB hub, but it works in Windows perfectly, and in my laptop’s BIOS, but not on my desktop’s BIOS. Even if I swap keyboards in the setup utility, no dice.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this but the Model M I have is a 1395660 122-key terminal keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2020, 22:18:24 by DV »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1629 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 08:09:38 »

my Soarer's converter is a seamless, professional looking PS/2 to USB converter

You got one of Orihalcon's converter cables? That actually does have a very small circuit board inside it.

Go to the beginning of the thread and you see that Soarer designed his firmware for the Teensy 2.0, Orihalcon re-jiggered it to fit into a much smaller space with a physically smaller circuit.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline TreeIsDeath

« Reply #1630 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 23:23:21 »
I'm building an active converter adapter for an USB cherry G80 3000 series "2013-2017?" keyboard.
Standard 104 Keys and comes with a passive PS/2 converter.
NKRO works only with the passive converter. Plugging with USB directly disables it.
Power usage of 25mA typical.

Using a pro micro clone.

I'm a noob when concerning electronics. 
There is VCC,GND,CLOCK,DATA pin outs graphs on both the PS/2 and pro micro but nothing about pull-ups.
I didn't see any clear pictures in this thread of an finished one with pull-ups.

First Soarer recommended using 1k Ohm for long cables. Not usually needed?
Then I see on hasu tmk ps2_usb wiki the pro micro needs an 1k-10k.  This is an much wider range.
Searching the web further, it seems 4.7k is the norm for pull-ups on USB tinkerware.

I've already soldered two 1/4W 2.4k Ohm resistors on the back of the pcb, One VCC to Clock, One VCC to DATA, picture below:
243862-0

Is this correctly used?
Is there any danger of using too strong pull-ups?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #1631 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 09:56:06 »
I'm building an active converter adapter for an USB cherry G80 3000 series "2013-2017?" keyboard.
Standard 104 Keys and comes with a passive PS/2 converter.
NKRO works only with the passive converter. Plugging with USB directly disables it.
Power usage of 25mA typical.

Using a pro micro clone.

I'm a noob when concerning electronics. 
There is VCC,GND,CLOCK,DATA pin outs graphs on both the PS/2 and pro micro but nothing about pull-ups.
I didn't see any clear pictures in this thread of an finished one with pull-ups.

First Soarer recommended using 1k Ohm for long cables. Not usually needed?
Then I see on hasu tmk ps2_usb wiki the pro micro needs an 1k-10k.  This is an much wider range.
Searching the web further, it seems 4.7k is the norm for pull-ups on USB tinkerware.

I've already soldered two 1/4W 2.4k Ohm resistors on the back of the pcb, One VCC to Clock, One VCC to DATA, picture below:
(Attachment Link)

Is this correctly used?
Is there any danger of using too strong pull-ups?

The general rule is if your keyboard works with the converter, you don't need the pull-up resistors. They won't affect NKRO in any way.

I have installed Soarer's internally in quite a few different keyboards, using both Teensy & Pro Micro and never needed pull-up resistors. I also have a Soarer's converter on a breadboard using a Teensy. I've plugged many keyboards into this external setup & never needed pull-up resistors.

The value of the resistors is not critical. Your 2.4k should be fine.
REΛLFORCE

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1632 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 15:19:02 »

(Attachment Link)

Is this correctly used?

If you're thinking two resistors = double the resistance then no, that's not correct.  In parallel the same amount of current goes through each resistor so the resistance is actually halved to 1.2k.  If you put them in series (connect one to the other in a line) that would be 4.8k :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline superuser41

« Reply #1633 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 16:19:18 »

(Attachment Link)

Is this correctly used?

If you're thinking two resistors = double the resistance then no, that's not correct.  In parallel the same amount of current goes through each resistor so the resistance is actually halved to 1.2k.  If you put them in series (connect one to the other in a line) that would be 4.8k :)

Except these are not in parallel..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1634 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 16:52:36 »
I was curious about this, too. If parallel is an "H" then what is a "Y"?

Offline edlee

« Reply #1635 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 16:16:57 »
Attached is the latest sample configuration file from me which uses most of the EEPROM memory of Soarer's Converter.  I learned how to use the norestoremeta clause and how to make macros repeat with the MAKE and BREAK commands.  I also learned how to use the MAKE and BREAK commands to make the CAPS LOCK key function like a layer key but with SELECT.  That makes the associated macros a lot cleaner without having to define macros for unused key codes or FAKE_XX codes.  This configuration file is set up so that it is almost impossible to activate the SCROLL LOCK, NUM LOCK, or CAPS LOCK by accident.  You have to press two keys to activate each function, such as:

NUM_LOCK SCROLL_LOCK to toggle SCROLL_LOCK
SCROLL_LOCK NUM_LOCK to toggle NUM_LOCK
SHIFT CAPS_LOCK to toggle CAPS_LOCK

The sample configuration file also contains macros for creating common code in Visual Basic, such as IF THEN ELSE, FOR NEXT, WHILE WEND, SELECT ... END SELECT.

I corrected the bug caused by Soarer commenting out the EXTRA_UNUSED_KEY_1  (0xB0) and EXTRA_UNUSED_KEY_2 (0xC1) codes in the, "hid_tokens.cpp", file.  I then recompiled the affected scas and scdis programs.  EXTRA_UNUSED_KEY_1  is also called FAKE_01.  EXTRA_UNUSED_KEY_2 is also called FAKE_18.

I have also included in the ZIP file a copy of my Generate Presses code for Visual Basic in Microsoft Word to make it easier to generate PRESS commands for a string of text.

Offline DaWorm

« Reply #1636 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 07:57:10 »
First post, forgive me if this has been covered, but if it has I was unable to come up with the right search terms for it.

I have several Dell AT101 keyboards (not AT101W) that I've been using for literally decades.  I've always struggled with USB to PS/2 converters, having to often unplug and replug when the keyboard inevitably quit working.  Which has, way too late is seems, led me to discovering the Soarer's keyboard adapter.  I'm not particularly concerned with remapping or macros (yet) I just want a more stable experience, and I have been led to believe this is the way to go.

I bought two premade adapters from an eBay seller, and hooked the first up to my Windows 10 machine at work.  So far, it works perfectly, but I don't have a whole lot of hours on it yet.  Where I'm having problems is at home on my Xubuntu Linux machine.  There, I am having two annoying problems.

First, I cannot get SHIFT ARROW functionality.  When in an editor, I often use SHIFT RIGHT or SHIFT DOWN to highlight text, then CTRL C to copy it.  With the cheap PS/2 converter this works fine, but with the Soarer's converter, it does not.  Other SHIFT functions, like accessing capital letters or punctuation characters work fine.

I downloaded hid_listen (and the 32 bit libusb needed to run it) for Linux and checked out what was going on.  What I saw was when I pressed either shift key, I got a + code, and when I released it I got the corresponding - code.  Same with the arrow keys, press get + code, release get - code, all as expected.  When I pressed either shift and then one of the direction arrows, however, what I saw was first the - code for the shift, then the + code for the arrow.  This would explain why I can't use that key combination for highlighting, I suppose, but why would I see that in the first place?  And more importantly, how can I make it stop? 

Also, this doesn't happen on the one on the Windows 10 machine at work, or at least I can SHIFT arrow highlight there anyway, I didn't hid_listen that combo as there was no need to.

I thought maybe the unit I bought may have had someone else's config file loaded into it, so I tried to use scrd to read out the current config file.  That's where I run into my second problem.  Whenever I use any of the utility programs, it appears to function, but then the keyboard freezes.  No more typing until I unplug the USB cable and put it back in.  I don't know if this is normal behavior on Linux or not.  I do have to use sudo to execute the commands.

Unfortunately I'm about to have a knee replacement surgery, and left the other unit at work and won't be able to go back for it for at least three weeks, so I can't swap them to see if the bad behavior stays with the converter or with the keyboard.  Both are the same model, purchased at the same time, so I doubt it is the keyboard, but I suppose it could be. 

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Offline edlee

« Reply #1637 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 19:25:57 »
You can try my sample configuration file in the post above yours which will enable you to hold down the CAPS_LOCK key followed by one of the letters E, X, S, D for Up, Down, Left, Right arrow key equivalent functionality.  You can hold down CAPS_LOCK followed by the left shift key or right shift key followed by E, X, S, D to perform the equivalent of a shift arrow key combination.  If you are unable to run scas to assemble the configuration file or are unable to run scwr to write the assembled file to Soarer's converter, then there is not much you can do to fix your problem.  Do you have a Windows computer on which you can run the Windows versions of the scas and scwr programs?

Offline knightjp

« Reply #1638 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 13:23:04 »
Would this allow for the function cluster on the Sun Type 7 keyboard to start working with Windows?

Offline DaWorm

« Reply #1639 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 12:30:18 »
If you are unable to run scas to assemble the configuration file or are unable to run scwr to write the assembled file to Soarer's converter, then there is not much you can do to fix your problem.
Sorry it took so long, as noted, had a knee replacement, haven't been back on this machine since.  Now that I'm back, things are even odder.  I know for sure I could run scinfo on this, and got back reasonable results.  Now, scinfo (or scwr) says it can't find the converter.  Yet I'm typing with it right now!  Also, Shift-Cursor keys are now working properly.  Baffling. 

lsusb shows the following:

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 16c0:047d Van Ooijen Technische Informatica Teensy Keyboard+Debug

Do you have a Windows computer on which you can run the Windows versions of the scas and scwr programs?

I do, but it will take me a bit to get everything downloaded on it.

Offline edlee

« Reply #1640 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 19:16:48 »
I'm unfamiliar with the Sun Type 7 keyboard, but the general procedure for getting the keys working would be to run the, "hid_listen.exe", program and then press the keys that you want to use with Soarer's converter connected and see what pairs of digits are preceded by the + sign are output by the hid_listen program in response to the key presses, such as +F9 or +E7.  At the bottom of any one of my configuration files is a copy of the names and codes of the keys that you can use in remapping keys or in assigning macros to the keys.  There are some keyboards that output more than one pair of numbers for a single key press.  I think I once read a post by Soarer who got around that problem by mapping the first key code to a layer function key and then handling the second key code in the layer's key remap section.

Offline kelvinhall05

• LinusTechTips
« Reply #1641 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 21:14:51 »
Any idea if this will work with a Wang 725? If so, does someone have a pinout of the Wang's connector? Mine doesn't have the cable :(

Offline edlee

« Reply #1642 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 22:25:42 »
The following web site contains information about Wang keyboards, but I don't know if the information applies to your Wang 725 keyboard:

https://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/wang_kb.html

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #1643 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 11:29:16 »
Is there anyway to rename the controller from "Soarer's Keyboard converter (Soarer)"? It would be nice to have the actually keyboard manufacturer and model name instead.

Can I control the Num Lock or Scroll Lock leds and use them as layer indicators?

Offline ivanthetolerable

« Reply #1644 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 19:35:57 »
Hey guys, is it possible to modify the firmware to change the pin for the teensy? I have an old teensy I tried to use 4 years ago and I destroyed the d0 pin... I hate to buy a new one just because of that.

Offline Mikhail

« Reply #1645 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 12:12:51 »
Help
I need to convert Siemens F500, that probably XT.
Also I have few keyboards with AT/XT switches to test.
I use Teensy 2.0 and ProMicro.
I got all correct in AT mode.
But in XT mode all keyboards work with follow issues:
1. R. Alt R. Ctrl - Left ones
2. Ins, del, home, end, pg dn, pg up, arrows - all work as same keys on numpad section
2. When Num lock ON follow keys work same but with Left Shift.
3. Enter on Numpad - Enter, "/" on numpad - "/?" on alphas.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1646 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 18:36:48 »
Mikhail,
Does the Siemens F500 has AT/XT switch? If so you better use it as AT keyboard.

It seems to fail to handle extended scan codes(E0 xx), this converter doesn't support them perhaps?
IBM PC/XT keyboard doesn't have those keys originally and they were added on enhanced keyobard later on.

EDIT: You may try my converter firmware also to see difference. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103648.0
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2020, 18:41:43 by hasu »

Offline Mikhail

« Reply #1647 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 21:37:17 »
Hasu

Thank you, your firmware are working on Chicony kb-5191 in XT mode!
Only Pause/Break key are not response (press but not release).
Siemens F500 will try later (same).
Siemens F500 has no AT/XT switch, otherwise it wouldn't make sense for me to make a converter.

Can you fix the Pause/Break issue?
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2020, 01:37:38 by Mikhail »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1648 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 19:30:50 »
Yes, I'm happy to fix that. Post this result in my thread. Also 'hid_listen' debug output of the F500 would be helful.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103648.0

Hasu

Thank you, your firmware are working on Chicony kb-5191 in XT mode!
Only Pause/Break key are not response (press but not release).
Siemens F500 will try later (same).
Siemens F500 has no AT/XT switch, otherwise it wouldn't make sense for me to make a converter.

Can you fix the Pause/Break issue?

Offline mech0nly

« Reply #1649 on: Sat, 14 August 2021, 08:50:42 »
Hi, apologies for the necro.

Is it possible to adjust debounce value? I can't find any references anywhere for it.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 August 2021, 08:52:31 by mech0nly »
356CL DGE | 356mini | 360C | G81-3000SAT | G81-3000SAU | G81-3077SAU | ESA-3000-HASRO | G80-3000LPCXY-2 | G80-3485LWNUS-2 | 55g HHKB