Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1249946 times)

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1750 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 13:39:14 »
Smalls should have mine come Monday.

Cheers,

We should NOT have swapped avatars...also, does that mean there won't be your ergodox at the meet OJ?

I don't know. Ask him xD.

Cheers,
You were asking him.

You be trollin, hatin, patrollin tryin to catch me trippin dirty!

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1751 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 13:43:15 »
Smalls should have mine come Monday.

Cheers,

We should NOT have swapped avatars...also, does that mean there won't be your ergodox at the meet OJ?

I don't know. Ask him xD.

Cheers,
You were asking him.

You be trollin, hatin, patrollin tryin to catch me trippin dirty!

Cheers,
Hehe.

Offline judascleric

« Reply #1752 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 16:14:25 »
I got my kit Wednesday, though I wasn't able to get started until yesterday because of GDC, but I built my ErgoDox in a marathon session last night. Amazingly it worked when I first plugged it in. No shorts or cold solder joints despite not having soldered on a PCB in 15 years. Using it at work today and it's working beautifully.

Here is my layout, mainly based on my TrulyErgonomic setup:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=EAZJPJ&hash=e0e7112679ee8f1e96e61c55778404df

If the F17 and F18 keys seem strange, it's a remnant of my Keyremap4Macbook scripts for the TE. They are for sticky key (3-state toggle) modifiers for my layer 1 and layer 2 mappings. I would like to replicate this functionality in the firmware of the ErgoDox, though I might see if there is some way to still get the growl notifications in OS X for visualizing the modifier state on screen similar to how sticky keys for the standard modifiers are visualized.
My Keyremap4macbook private.xml for Ergodox:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47685570/private.xml

I did have a couple issues with my MassDrop order. They forgot to put case screws and an I/O expander in my order. I actually had a full compliment of ErgoDox parts lying around already that I had bought shortly after the parts list went up, so I was okay for the I/O expander and I'm just using some extra wire to hold the case together until I can get some screws. MassDrop got back to me pretty quick about the screws so I might have some next week. Probably will try to just pick some up over the weekend if they sell them at a hardware store. I had also happened to have ordered my kit with no electronics for $40 less, but I was charged and sent eletronics anyway. Not too upset over it though. I have been planning to make my own version with a few modifications after I have lived with this one for a while.

Also need to get some rubber feet for the case. It has been sliding around on my desk a bit.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I used through-hole diodes coming up through the board, soldered on the top, snipped close to the board. Worked fine for me. Just pop a few switches in the plate layer and make sure the pins of each switch go through and the feet on the switches can seat on the PCB before you go and solder all the switches in. I put 5 or 6 switches around the edges, checked that they all fit well, and soldered them as anchors before I started putting the rest in.

17259-0
Good luck with yours everybody!
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 March 2013, 18:54:49 by judascleric »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1753 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 16:48:10 »
looks real good

man i am excited!

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #1754 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 18:54:36 »
Wait so through hole cant be soldered on the opposite side as the diode? So no little tiny, clipped nubs?

All the circuit traces for a given hand are on the underside of that hand's PCB, so the diodes have to be soldered to the underside, same side as where all the switch leads are soldered. However, the thru-hole diodes can't sit on the topside (as originally intended) due to the thickness of the mounting plate causing clearance/spacing issues, so if you use those, you'll have to insert them from the underside and solder them same-side, then clip the excess leads flush with the topside.

That could make replacing a diode tricky if necessary (e.g., you'd need to pre-trim the leads to correct length before soldering), so MD has supplied SMD diodes as an alternative. It occurs to me you could start with thru-holes, then if it turns out you need to replace any after you've already soldered the switches in, use SMDs for the replacements.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1755 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 19:37:03 »
Wait so through hole cant be soldered on the opposite side as the diode? So no little tiny, clipped nubs?

All the circuit traces for a given hand are on the underside of that hand's PCB, so the diodes have to be soldered to the underside, same side as where all the switch leads are soldered. However, the thru-hole diodes can't sit on the topside (as originally intended) due to the thickness of the mounting plate causing clearance/spacing issues, so if you use those, you'll have to insert them from the underside and solder them same-side, then clip the excess leads flush with the topside.

That could make replacing a diode tricky if necessary (e.g., you'd need to pre-trim the leads to correct length before soldering), so MD has supplied SMD diodes as an alternative. It occurs to me you could start with thru-holes, then if it turns out you need to replace any after you've already soldered the switches in, use SMDs for the replacements.

damn that is going to catch some people, i really hope people are reading the discussions on MassDrop and Geekhack before proceeding to assemble.

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1756 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 22:04:23 »
Damn it, I really need some pictures. Not sure if I understand everything about the diodes right.. xD
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #1757 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 22:07:31 »
MD has revised their assembly instructions page accordingly, but yeah, if people are eagerly jumping into assembly from memory of the old instructions, and considering that soldering the diodes is the first step and one of the easiest to perform, I reckon some folks might start off on the wrong foot. :(
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline Larken

« Reply #1758 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 22:19:52 »
There is the third option which allows you to use through-hole diodes:

opening up the switches and inserting them in. its a hassle to do, but for those looking to sticker/lube their switches prior to assembly, its only one extra step, and since the diodes would be in the switches, there wouldn't be clearance issues. I'd probably do that as my switches are already dismantled in preparation for my kit to arrive if smds prove too hard for me to do by hand.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #1759 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 01:36:16 »
All the diode pads are through plated. It doesn't matter which side you place them, SMD or through hole alike. The only problem is the acrylic plate of course. Just wanted to get that right =)

Offline sordna

« Reply #1760 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 01:55:00 »

All the circuit traces for a given hand are on the underside of that hand's PCB, so the diodes have to be soldered to the underside, same side as where all the switch leads are soldered

Actually I just tried with a continuity tester what I suspected by visual inspection, and it looks like the hole tops and hole bottoms are connected. I believe this is called plated-through holes. So you could even solder the SMD diodes on the top side instead of the bottom side if you liked and it would work. Same with regular diodes, soldering them on either side would work.  Not sure about the spacing issue, isn't the switch plate supposed to have some distance from the PCB ?
BTW can anyone tell from the gerber files if ALL holes are plated-thru? 
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 March 2013, 02:09:36 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #1761 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 02:06:54 »
Pan up an inch =)

Edit: To actually add something, there are six possible diode locations per switch (almost all of them). More or less usable depending on what kind of case you are using.

Edit again: And the switch center holes, as well as the mounting holes are the only ones not through plated. They are in the ErgoDOX-NPTH.drl file (Non Plated Through Hole). And actually the unused pads for the expander...
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 March 2013, 02:11:41 by bpiphany »

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #1762 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 04:19:38 »
What do you all think?
SmallFry! <3

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1763 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 15:12:41 »
am i seeing correctly that you did one hand with surface mount and the other with through hole?

bah, im really starting to get a bit a pissed about this cheap shipping they used, i spend half a grand on these and the last time ups ground updated their status was Tuesday.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #1764 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 15:18:53 »
Glod, I hope your day is going fine and that you and yours are well. Please don't expend energy on things that don't matter :). You will get your stuff with a little time.

I'm scared of doing the surface mounted diodes because I only have a ****ty cheap pen. I'm pretty good at soldering now though, so maybe I'll be fine?

Offline jcrouse

Re: Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1765 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 15:20:02 »
... I reckon some folks might start off on the wrong foot.
Don't ya mean hand?

John

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1766 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 15:59:28 »
... I reckon some folks might start off on the wrong foot.
Don't ya mean hand?

John
LOL!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1767 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 16:00:21 »
I got my kit Wednesday, though I wasn't able to get started until yesterday because of GDC, but I built my ErgoDox in a marathon session last night. Amazingly it worked when I first plugged it in. No shorts or cold solder joints despite not having soldered on a PCB in 15 years. Using it at work today and it's working beautifully.

Here is my layout, mainly based on my TrulyErgonomic setup:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=EAZJPJ&hash=e0e7112679ee8f1e96e61c55778404df

If the F17 and F18 keys seem strange, it's a remnant of my Keyremap4Macbook scripts for the TE. They are for sticky key (3-state toggle) modifiers for my layer 1 and layer 2 mappings. I would like to replicate this functionality in the firmware of the ErgoDox, though I might see if there is some way to still get the growl notifications in OS X for visualizing the modifier state on screen similar to how sticky keys for the standard modifiers are visualized.
My Keyremap4macbook private.xml for Ergodox:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47685570/private.xml

I did have a couple issues with my MassDrop order. They forgot to put case screws and an I/O expander in my order. I actually had a full compliment of ErgoDox parts lying around already that I had bought shortly after the parts list went up, so I was okay for the I/O expander and I'm just using some extra wire to hold the case together until I can get some screws. MassDrop got back to me pretty quick about the screws so I might have some next week. Probably will try to just pick some up over the weekend if they sell them at a hardware store. I had also happened to have ordered my kit with no electronics for $40 less, but I was charged and sent eletronics anyway. Not too upset over it though. I have been planning to make my own version with a few modifications after I have lived with this one for a while.

Also need to get some rubber feet for the case. It has been sliding around on my desk a bit.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I used through-hole diodes coming up through the board, soldered on the top, snipped close to the board. Worked fine for me. Just pop a few switches in the plate layer and make sure the pins of each switch go through and the feet on the switches can seat on the PCB before you go and solder all the switches in. I put 5 or 6 switches around the edges, checked that they all fit well, and soldered them as anchors before I started putting the rest in.

(Attachment Link)
Good luck with yours everybody!
Did they not include screws for the case? :confused:

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #1768 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 16:57:46 »
Stayed up all night... Hardware is pretty much complete. Just some switches and led left. Hope there are no coldies'! I would recommend smd if you can. My left hand which is through hole seems to take up more space. I did my best to clip everything but for some reason the switches dont go down as low as the right side. (Which I have only yet to notice it on the bottom. Not sure if it will be evident on top.) I desoldered the left hand last night and well see today if I could get the switches more flushed.

I will probably post pics and more comments in alittle.
SmallFry! <3

Offline TastyShrimp

« Reply #1769 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 17:22:25 »
A handy technique for smd soldering I ended up using was to apply a little solder to one of the pads on the board, then taking the diode with a pair of tweezers, reheat the solder on the board and slide the diode in. Then, apply solder on the other side like normal. One thing to note is that I did end up having quite a few cold joints doing this quickly, so make sure that you examine them carefully and reapply solder as necessary.

Offline bisl

« Reply #1770 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 18:47:14 »
A handy technique for smd soldering I ended up using was to apply a little solder to one of the pads on the board, then taking the diode with a pair of tweezers, reheat the solder on the board and slide the diode in. Then, apply solder on the other side like normal. One thing to note is that I did end up having quite a few cold joints doing this quickly, so make sure that you examine them carefully and reapply solder as necessary.

For newbs: how does one diagnose/locate cold joints? Just individual switches that aren't transmitting when pressed?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #1771 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 18:52:17 »
Yeah, how do you test it before you put switches on? I have switchss on but yet to test it lol
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #1772 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 19:20:38 »
SmallFry! <3

Offline Glissant

« Reply #1773 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 21:09:09 »
Much appreciated, TheQsanity. Not so scary after watching that :).

Offline bisl

« Reply #1774 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 21:16:36 »
So have only two or three people received their boards so far or something? I'd think there would be more pictures & videos by now.

HINT

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #1775 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 21:38:07 »
I got mine Thursday but I'm starting by grinding, chamfering and polishing the aluminum case first. By then maybe I'll have worked up the courage to try to solder together the electronics.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #1776 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 22:13:22 »
No problem Glissant...

Just to note: a newbie mistake by me. Load the firmware on the teensy before you guys solder on the switches. Use a piece of metal(like tweezers) to short the holes where the switch pins would go.
I got too excited and rushed to switches before I had a chance to test it. I knew the risk at the time but I took my chances lol. It would help if you had a laptop. So you wouldnt have to walk back and forth.

Heres a nice keytester I found on the web: http://tinyurl.com/c6y8sam

And if anyone is shopping for solder, get the thinnest one. I have kinda thick one relatively thick to the pad and I waste more than I need to. Smaller also means it heats up faster and you have more control on how much goes in.

The gloves in the video are just to prevent smudges on the case.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #1777 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 23:05:26 »
I got mine Thursday but I'm starting by grinding, chamfering and polishing the aluminum case first. By then maybe I'll have worked up the courage to try to solder together the electronics.
Are you documenting the process? I'm planning on doing similar, but have no experience working with aluminum.
I like cats.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #1778 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 23:26:45 »
If someone is second guessing there purchase, I will take it off your hands :D

I will take it assembled or dis assembled!

Shoot me a PM

Gupgup

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #1779 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 05:16:54 »
Are you documenting the process? I'm planning on doing similar, but have no experience working with aluminum.

I'm going to try to take pictures of the process. My problem is that I get so involved with the task at hand that I either forget or don"t want to interrupt the process. Of course there's always the vanity of not wanting to display my ineptness if it doesn't turn out quite perfect. It will be at least a couple of weeks before I submit pictures because of work demands.

Oddly enough, it's often the contributors who include their own missteps that either teach us the most, or at least give us the permission to attempt something new. Reminds me of an amoral version of one of my favorite quotes by Blaise Pascal-  "We sometimes  learn more from the sight of evil than the example of good".

Offline bishboria

« Reply #1780 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 06:45:16 »
Hi folks,

I just found out about the ergodox yesterday and think it would be perfect.

I'm not very handy with a soldering iron, so I'd be interested in one that was pre-assembled with Cherry mx brown switches.

How long am I likely to wait to get one?

Cheers,
bishboria

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #1781 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 08:08:24 »
Until the second group buy, or most likely 2-3 weeks when many GH users realize that this was not the keyboard for them and they are running "low" on funds.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline bishboria

« Reply #1782 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 08:15:48 »
Until the second group buy, or most likely 2-3 weeks when many GH users realize that this was not the keyboard for them and they are running "low" on funds.

Not for them? How so?

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #1783 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 08:35:14 »
Just wait a few weeks and keep an eye out in the classified section.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1784 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 08:36:55 »

Not for them? How so?

It's nice to see pictures and think you like a keyboard but until you actually type on a keyboard for a few weeks, you won't actually know if the keyboard will fit you.

Offline bishboria

« Reply #1785 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 09:14:54 »
It's nice to see pictures and think you like a keyboard but until you actually type on a keyboard for a few weeks, you won't actually know if the keyboard will fit you.

I currently use the blank key cap TypeMatrix (some keys are dying and it's time for something better). The layout was an amazing improvement over the standard MacBook Pro keyboard.

However, it's lack of symmetry (only one command key, ctrl keys different sizes and slightly different places, etc) is starting to annoy me. And the command key is positioned such that I'm getting cramps in my left thumb...

ErgoDox looks like it should solve all those problems for me.

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1786 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 12:49:09 »
Can't we have a blank DCS keycap set group buy? I don't think Massdrop is going to make one...

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline bisl

« Reply #1787 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 13:12:59 »
Can't we have a blank DCS keycap set group buy? I don't think Massdrop is going to make one...

Go start one?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1788 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 13:15:12 »
A kinesis/ Ergodox/ etc GB of blank PBT DSA caps would be pretty sweet. I wonder how many of the ergo guys would be into that.

Offline bisl

« Reply #1789 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 13:35:18 »
A kinesis/ Ergodox/ etc GB of blank PBT DSA caps would be pretty sweet. I wonder how many of the ergo guys would be into that.

I'd probably pick up a set or two.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #1790 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 13:39:52 »
Blank PBT DSA caps. Wasn't there a massdrop for that? https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox-keycap

Offline bisl

« Reply #1791 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 14:14:30 »
Blank PBT DSA caps. Wasn't there a massdrop for that? https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox-keycap

Oh. Err. I meant DCS. I'd throw down for a set or two of DCS-family keys. I believe there was discussion of there eventually being a DCS buy, which was why I didn't go in on the DSA one.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #1792 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 14:15:10 »
I asked massdrop a week or two ago. They said another gb was soon and I asked if they could include both layouts for the people that missed out. The massdrop guy said he'll tell the guys that are orgonizing it. I dont think they will start another keycap gb until they start another ergodox gb.

I think if we can get the same price that massdrop did, that we should definitely start our own gb.
SmallFry! <3

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1793 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 14:19:52 »

That's ergodox specific though.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #1794 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 14:29:04 »
Yes?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1795 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 22:43:21 »
Yes?

So... I was speaking about a group buy for flat profile keys of that style with PBT plastic for other ergonomic keyboards, using the Massdrop DSA set as an example...

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #1796 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 23:01:52 »
So... I was speaking about a group buy for flat profile keys of that style with PBT plastic for other ergonomic keyboards, using the Massdrop DSA set as an example...

Seeing as this is the ErgoDox thread, perhaps you'd do best to start a new thread about that over in the Interest Checks section, or if you want Massdrop to run it, contact them directly, or do both -- gauge interest, then bring the proposal to MD if nobody wants to organize the GB here.

Simple GBs like a keycap set are often self-organized; the main reason MD got involved in the ErgoDox GB was due to the logistics of organizing acquisition and distribution of such a complex kit with so many custom-fab'd pieces, which IMO they handled with flying colors.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1797 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 00:30:43 »
still no tracking update since Tuesday.....

Offline mushrew

« Reply #1798 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 01:02:16 »
finished mine, no major problems, just had to do some filing of the PCB which was annoying and a bit time consuming.

pics: http://imgur.com/a/19G41
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 April 2013, 01:04:00 by mushrew »

Offline william

« Reply #1799 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 22:06:50 »
i was hoping to be able to have a layout with some non-standard shifted states along with having a few of the keys on the second layer to be in their shifted state, such as ampersand and the parenthesis.

more or less what i would like to make it do:
17525-0

is writing macros into the firmware pretty straightforward?