Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1237994 times)

Offline Larken

Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1950 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 22:00:51 »
They are just laser cut and obviously done at a high rate of speed.  MD is wise to ditch it.  One of the layers had a nasty bend in it, but luckily I was able to fix it without fatiguing the aluminum too much.  In the end I think it will look nice, but it's not worth all the hassle.

Too bad they don't offer other colors besides clear.  Black would be a nice choice.

a pretty easy paint job would get you the colors you want with acrylic. but yea, considering this was a litster design, it would be nice to have the colors he made with his old cases (black sandwiching red, and white sandwiching blue). those cases looked great. I'm still trying to get the right paints, but the selection available in my country is woefully inadequate.

@Glod

any idea how much heavy is the aluminium casing compared to the acrylic one?
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1951 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 05:49:34 »
The DCS PBT keycap group buy is out on Massrop!  \o/

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox-keycap-1

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline OPTiK

« Reply #1952 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 09:21:14 »
I'm currently working on making my aluminum case more presentable. Just got done putting most of the pieces through a tumbler (except top layer) and they are so smooth now! Got rid of all the burs too. I'm still debating going mirrored finish or anodized though. I may just do the mirror finish first and if I don't like it then I'll anodize it. I have to say the aluminum does require a lot of work, hopefully its worth it in the end!

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1953 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 10:05:00 »
Yes, I would love to have seen the litster black/red combo.  It would have matched my Phantom nicely.  :)
Russ

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1954 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:45:58 »
man the way keys are (non staggered?) is really throwing me off, having a hard time with this thing!

@Glod

any idea how much heavy is the aluminium casing compared to the acrylic one?

its heavier, but not as much as a thought, i dont have a scale so i cant measure
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:47:51 by Glod »

Offline bearcat

« Reply #1955 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:47:35 »
so get a set cut in red and black!  www.ponoko.com does laser cutting as a service.  The plans are right there on the ergodox site.  Take the plans from the ergodox site, lay them out on the ponoko templates, send them off to get cut, and bam boom red & black.

I just got a set of keytrays in from them yesterday.  turned out well, except the potatophone picture ;)

I don't really know if it could be made any easier to get a case made exactly the colors you want.  click buttons -> receive bacon.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:55:57 by bearcat »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1956 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:49:04 »
your project looking good

would be nice to have more case options for ergodox

Offline cancelx

« Reply #1957 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:13:24 »
I am looking for someone in the US who can proxy to Poland for me, because I got my ErgoDox from separate groupbuys and I have no electronics. I need everything from the hardware list on ergodox.org webpage, except PCB, switches and cables. Anyone willing to help?
Model M SSK - WASD V1 - CM Storm QFR - Ducky Year of the Rabbit - Realforce 87U - WASD V2 - K-Type

Offline haskellelephant

• haskell is everywhere! What are we going to do?
« Reply #1958 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:29:43 »
On the surface mounted diodes thing. Its not that bad to use the through-hole diodes is it? I am
not really that comfortable doing surface mounted soldering...

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1959 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:43:31 »
You need to cut the legs flush and then solder.  You just don't want the leads poking up into the plate.
Russ

Offline haskellelephant

« Reply #1960 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:52:05 »
So this is only a problem with layer 3 of the case?
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:53:36 by haskellelephant »

Offline jcrouse

Re: Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1961 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 17:21:56 »
On the surface mounted diodes thing. Its not that bad to use the through-hole diodes is it? I am

It was my first time and extremely easy.

Put a small spot on one pad.
Place the diode with tweezers while melting the dot of solder.
Solder the other end

Give it a go. You may be surprised. I used .020 solder and an iron with a .015 tip.

You can alsk put the diodes in the switched in you want.

Good luck,
John

Offline ElectronicFur

« Reply #1962 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 18:14:20 »
How much further are the thumb clusters on the Ergodox compared to the Kinesis?

I ask because on the Kinesis already I find it a stretch to reach the furthest keys (Alt, home, end, up, down).

Would appreciate if someone with a Kinesis and Ergodox could do a comparison for me. I'm poised to join the massdrop but worried if this will be an issue for me.

Cheers,
EF
Kinesis Advantage Pro (silver) | Kinesis Advantage (black) | Microsoft Natural Elite | Ergodox (on order)

Offline haskellelephant

« Reply #1963 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 18:32:09 »

It was my first time and extremely easy.

Put a small spot on one pad.
Place the diode with tweezers while melting the dot of solder.
Solder the other end

Give it a go. You may be surprised. I used .020 solder and an iron with a .015 tip.

You can alsk put the diodes in the switched in you want.

Good luck,
John

Yea, turns out I actually had some flux lying around that I could put on before doing that first spot.
 Easy peasy, thanks for the encouragement! I also recommend doing this, much easier than it sounds
and so much easier to undo than a through-hole solder if you change your mind.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1964 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 20:20:13 »

layer 2 has problems fitting the pcb in the aluminium case if that is what you are refering to
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 20:21:52 by Glod »

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #1965 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 20:56:04 »

layer 2 has problems fitting the pcb in the aluminium case if that is what you are refering to
MAJOR problems. I had to dremel the hell outta my PCBs to get them to fit.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1966 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 21:01:55 »
what would happen if I dremeled the aluminium layer instead of the pcb? i still have to build my second ergodox with the aluminium center layers, need switches though so i have time to figure this out. 1 ergodox with reds is good enough :)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #1967 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 21:09:28 »
How do you know how much can be trimmed from the perimeter of the PCBs before hitting some vital part?

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #1968 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 21:13:01 »
... In the end I decided that getting acrylic to spray paint over would be a much easier thing to do, as compared to the preparation work for anodising (not to mention cheaper, better looking and probably easier to work with in terms of sanding)
It occurs to me that painting only the underside of the top layer plate would give you a preferred color and retain the glossy-smooth acrylic surface without any worries about paint flaking off in the long run. For that matter, you could use the top layer plate as a template to cut a sheet of silvered mylar or any other sort of patterned paper/plastic sheet, which you could sandwich under the top layer plate.

I gather the problem with the aluminum plates was that they can't be laser cut, and the cheapest alternative was water-jet cutting, which is just inherently a low-tolerance method that results in inconsistent and imprecise cuts.

A while ago, I also suggested to MD that making a replacement top plate from bamboo-wood paneling would be affordable and make for a pretty classy look and feel, and could prolly be mass-produced using the same methods as the acrylic plates.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #1969 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 21:17:11 »
How do you know how much can be trimmed from the perimeter of the PCBs before hitting some vital part?
I had so much intetference in some areas I did have to remove material from both the pcb and case. I just don't undetstand ... ya have the dimensions of the pcb, just add 1/16" clearance all around inside the case.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 21:22:54 by jcrouse »

Offline sordna

« Reply #1970 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 23:18:13 »
Here is how I tent my ergodox for the time being. You can see the buzzer, as well as builtin teensy orange LED, indicating that I'm in a layer other than the default.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1971 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 00:09:23 »
Here is how I tent my ergodox for the time being. You can see the buzzer, as well as builtin teensy orange LED, indicating that I'm in a layer other than the default.

damn i over looked your buzzer thing in the past, that may actually be a cool thing to do, linear switches with a click..

lol id knock that **** down!

im thinking of making a large incline mod like that myself but i am waiting until i learn the layout because i wont be able to see the keys as well with a large incline

Offline sordna

« Reply #1972 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 00:43:08 »

Would appreciate if someone with a Kinesis and Ergodox could do a comparison for me. I'm poised to join the massdrop but worried if this will be an issue for me.

Thumb keys are a bit harder to reach on the ergodox, but it's quite good overall. I like having both these keyboards. Some other comparison points here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41937.msg842927#msg842927
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline ElectronicFur

« Reply #1973 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 07:34:55 »
Thumb keys are a bit harder to reach on the ergodox, but it's quite good overall. I like having both these keyboards. Some other comparison points here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41937.msg842927#msg842927

How much further is the reach in cm? Its hard to see from the photos. I have small hands, which is why I'm hesitating.

Thanks,
EF
Kinesis Advantage Pro (silver) | Kinesis Advantage (black) | Microsoft Natural Elite | Ergodox (on order)

Offline sordna

« Reply #1974 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 09:39:25 »
Hmm, they distance is the same, but due to the Kinesis bowls, the way the hand sits makes it easier to reach the thumb keys.
So the ergodox feels as if the thumb keys are 0.5cm further away even though they are not! So it would be an improvement to bring them closer, but it's not something that should deter anyone interested in the Ergodox from getting one.
Anyway, if you have small hands, you will need to do some hand movement on either keyboard.

Offline haskellelephant

« Reply #1975 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 18:48:03 »
What is up with step 4.1 in the Massdrop assembly instructions (adding the capacitor). Is it like *highly* recomended or just optional. And it says
that the two rectangular pads should be bridged but that is not shown on the picture. Are there some other pads that should be bridged instead?

Offline sordna

« Reply #1976 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:58:07 »
Nope, I told them about it after they took pictures, so they updated the text only. You should bridge those 2 pads, otherwise the capacitor isn't really connected to anything. I too was surprised they list it as optional, it's not hard to solder the capacitor and they include it, so ...

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1977 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 21:09:20 »
oh **** just realized i never bridged those pads lol, i haven't noticed anything wrong though; ergodox going strong. i guess ill get around to fixing it somehow when i switch out the top and bottom layers and lube and sticker my switches

Offline sordna

« Reply #1978 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 21:37:31 »
I bridged mine after I assembled it, since I followed the instructions and only later remember a point about bridging the pads, which I had seen on deskthority, and confirmed with ic07. I was able to fit my iron without burning the acrylic case or IO expander. I transferred solder on the tip, but put some flux on the pads first with a toothpick, to make sure the solder flows in a short time.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2013, 00:42:01 by sordna »

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #1979 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 23:56:14 »

I'm kinda liking how the full hand looks. Almost tempted to switch over from classic.

Offline OPTiK

« Reply #1980 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:15:41 »
What are the options for palm rests at this point?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1981 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:01:45 »
What are the options for palm rests at this point?

Do you mean for those who didnt get the full hand?

well i use these, they are in my pictures of an earlier post
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/handstands-deluxe-laptop-travel-wrist-rest/247713693.html
if you are in the states they are at officemax

the only problem with these are that they are a bit low so they may not be very ergonomic, in fact i know they are not ergonomic

i'm looking at other solutions

i noticed the ergo beads rests work well too but i only have one hand so i need to buy another. they are a bit expensive

i didn't get the full hand kit because i feared it would cut into my wrists

--

btw guys with finished ergodox, i created another thread to discuss experiences using the ergodox, basically the final product instead of the diy stuff. i figure putting all discussion of the ergodox into a single thread isn't ideal. i want to hear people's experiences using it.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42231.0

i probably should have created it in the ergo forum though...

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #1982 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 15:26:04 »
I picked up my set yesterday, and started working on it today, modding the switches first.

I figured I might as well just integrate the diodes while I'm at it. Am I right in assuming I can just flip the diodes for the left hand, and that way have a normally (firmware) working ergodox, with integrated diodes?
I like cats.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1983 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 15:58:54 »
correct, putting the diodes inside the switch shouldn't mean any firmware change, i just has to be facing the correct direction (cathode to square),  however someone else can confirm

the smd diodes are not as hard as they look and it would be easier to mod the switches after soldering because the plate allows taking apart the switches without desoldering.

just my thoughts though, the route i took with the diodes and modding the switches
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:08:28 by Glod »

Offline ic07

« Reply #1984 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:02:14 »
Am I right in assuming I can just flip the diodes for the left hand, and that way have a normally (firmware) working ergodox, with integrated diodes?

Yes.  To double check: make sure that all the diode cathodes (for both hands) are toward the square solder pad.

Edit: Glod beat me to posting.. :-)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1985 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:16:07 »
I must sadly announce that I have found a flaw in the PCBs.
The PCBs were supposed to allow one-unit keys in the outer columns (switches 2:0 to 5:0 and 2:13 to 5:13), but the upper holes for the switch pins are somewhat misplaced, making this difficult.
You could cram a switch down there, but one of the pins would be bent in a weird way. You would also need to use a modified plate because there are no holes for any switch mounting pins, and there are important traces on the PCB where you would have drilled them.

If there will be an ErgoDox version 2, I suggest that this flaw be fixed. Also that each trace going to a diodes is moved somewhat so that one could drill for a mounting hole without breaking the trace.

I had in a previous post promised to post a couple of ideas I had for bridging the gap between the thumb-keys and the main keys.

18428-0
In the image on the left, I have used a 2×1 Space key (one that I had previously made from a thick row-A numpad-0) on the key below M. It does however nudge against the N key, so some of the Space key would have to be cut off. I also found that offsetting the outer thumb-key made it easier to reach.

In the image on the right I have cut a Space Bar to size with the stem offset inside the key. Here, I used the middle PBT space bar from a Cherry G81 keyboard. If I had used a regular Space Bar for MX keys, I could have used the end of it and at least one end would not have been open like this one it on both ends. (I just did not have any MX space bar that I was willing to sacrifice)
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:25:49 by Findecanor »

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #1986 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 17:39:52 »
the smd diodes are not as hard as they look and it would be easier to mod the switches after soldering because the plate allows taking apart the switches without desoldering.
The diodes are in the bottom part of the switch anyways, so they shouldn't interfere. I could see it being an extra hassle, only if I needed to remove the whole switch, for whatever reason.
Regardless, sounds good, I'll continue on with great speed! Expect lots of pictures from me, when I'm done building it :3
I like cats.

Offline haskellelephant

« Reply #1987 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 18:13:47 »
Typing to you guys now on my new ergodox keyboard. I might update it to a more truly ergonomic keyboard like setup later. The fact that I soldered it myself makes it that much more beautiful!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1988 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 18:41:04 »
Typing to you guys now on my new ergodox keyboard. I might update it to a more truly ergonomic keyboard like setup later. The fact that I soldered it myself makes it that much more beautiful!

happy to hear!

--

man i really want more slope on this to really match the vip3 kit for freestyle, in fact i would really like more slope than that but matching that is fine

http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/support/freestyle_vip3_insert.pdf

trying to figure out if i can mod the freestyle kit to work with the ergodox

I still have the VIP3 kit and the VIP3 kit is meant for the wrist rest and is too long for the ergodox but the V3 kit is shorter and may be modable to work with the ergodox

http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/freestyle-v3-features.htm

only thing is it is pretty expensive risk buy it and it not working out

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1989 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 02:12:57 »
alright so i just took the simple approach and just placed my ergodox directly on top of the Freestyle VIP3 accessory

it hangs out a bit but it actually fits pretty well as pictured and doesnt look too bad

i think im going to buy the freestyle V3 accessory and mod it to fit the ergodox, i think i can make it work

Offline bebuxe

« Reply #1990 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 06:36:22 »
Just wanted to point all out here, that you can reserve Cherry MX switches at:
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/cherry-mx-taking-pre-orders-t2760.html

now to sleep.

Offline r3dx

« Reply #1991 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 10:22:12 »
Looking good, Glod! I'm curious to see how tenting the boards feels. I'll have to give it when I can find something to put under them. I noticed for me if I just twist each board inward a certain amount it makes it a lot easier for me to type although I'm still getting to the DSA caps and switch positions.
Filco MJ2 Ninja | CM Storm QFR | CM Storm QFR | IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | ErgoDox |
LZ-GH

Offline sordna

« Reply #1992 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 10:59:34 »

I had in a previous post promised to post a couple of ideas I had for bridging the gap between the thumb-keys and the main keys.

In the image on the left, I have used a 2×1 Space key (one that I had previously made from a thick row-A numpad-0) on the key below M. It does however nudge against the N key, so some of the Space key would have to be cut off. I also found that offsetting the outer thumb-key made it easier to reach.

Putting a larger key to bridge the gap does not solve the problem, but creates more problems (large key without stabilizer cannot be pressed off center). The problem anyway is that the thumbcluster altogether is further away than needed, especially felt on the Enter and Delete keys, not so much the Space and Backspace.

Offline seferphier

« Reply #1993 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 11:55:51 »
I just finished the right hand. some of the keys work, some of them don't. What is the most likely cause of the problem? bad soldering of the cherry keys or diode?

Offline r3dx

« Reply #1994 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 12:02:26 »
You're probably going to have to check both the switch and diode joints. I had two keys not working and it turned out I forgot to solder the second end on the diodes. I think a bad solder joint on either will cause a problem with the key being detected.
Filco MJ2 Ninja | CM Storm QFR | CM Storm QFR | IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | ErgoDox |
LZ-GH

Offline Larken

« Reply #1995 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 12:05:08 »
which keys aren't working? could be anything from bad solder joints on the switch, diode or even the teensy if an entire column is out.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline seferphier

« Reply #1996 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 12:28:21 »
bunch of random keys. is it possible to burn the PCB?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1997 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 12:36:45 »
Ok I got a bug up my ass and want to try a crazy, crazy project.

But I will need a modified ErgoDox PCB, and am too busy atm to search through 40 pages. Are the source files for the ErgoDox PCB listed somewhere in this thread? Or should I contact the guys via MassDrop and see if they can supply it?

Offline Larken

« Reply #1998 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 12:38:15 »
the gerber files are up on the Ergodox site.

http://ergodox.org/Downloads.aspx

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1999 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 12:45:19 »
Ok I got a bug up my ass and want to try a crazy, crazy project.

But I will need a modified ErgoDox PCB, and am too busy atm to search through 40 pages. Are the source files for the ErgoDox PCB listed somewhere in this thread? Or should I contact the guys via MassDrop and see if they can supply it?

crazy crazy project you say? does this means you will be making a 55g topre ergodox?  :))