Author Topic: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, SHIPPING  (Read 184895 times)

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

Re: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, MANUFACTURING
« Reply #450 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 11:34:09 »
I might be horribly mistaken but I can't find an estimated shipping date, is there any date set already?

No worries. It's a long thread, with some twists and turns. These are slated to ship the week of August 7th. I would be sooner than that but I'm going to be in Las Vegas for a Star Trek convention the week of 31 July. :rolleyes:
Thank you for the information :)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #451 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 10:10:57 »
I might be horribly mistaken but I can't find an estimated shipping date, is there any date set already?

No worries. It's a long thread, with some twists and turns. These are slated to ship the week of August 7th. I would be sooner than that but I'm going to be in Las Vegas for a Star Trek convention the week of 31 July. :rolleyes:

Are you showing off your galaxy class keyset? :P

I think they may actually have one of the samples out, yes. :) I also saw pics of the artisan sample yesterday, and it looks fantastic. More updates on that in the Galaxy Class thread shortly—as soon as I have one in my hands.

I'm headed off for Vegas today for the convention. Meantime, the re-worked cases are finally done (!) and everything is being assembled and boxed—supposed to ship to me this week, to arrive right around when I return next week. I've already got a big pile of assembled boxes and bubble wrap sitting in my living room, ready to hit the ground running. (In case they arrive early, no worries, there will still be somebody here to receive them.)

Offline zslane

« Reply #452 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 11:53:04 »
What's the status of the powder-coated cases?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #453 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 11:53:57 »
What's the status of the powder-coated cases?

I expect to ship them all together at the same time (i.e., next week).

Offline zslane

« Reply #454 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 12:16:31 »
Fantabulous.  :thumb:

Offline Longlong14

« Reply #455 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 09:28:30 »
I missed it again!!!! Any chance there's one more black I can give you money for?

Offline Our_Benefactors

« Reply #456 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 17:32:55 »
I missed it again!!!! Any chance there's one more black I can give you money for?

Check the classifieds here and on /r/mechmarket after they've shipped. Chances are, some people will want to sell.

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #457 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 16:33:53 »
The week has finally arrived. Lets hope everything goes according to plan!  :cool:
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #458 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 16:45:45 »
The week has finally arrived. Lets hope everything goes according to plan!  :cool:

Thanks, guys! I am indeed back (arrived very late last night and am still caffeinating myself back into consciousness) and will be spending today doing some more prep work of the packing materials. Last I heard, the cases left the inspection/packing place last week and are on their way to me. I was hoping for them to arrive today or tomorrow, but who knows with DHL and customs (last time the cases languished in customs delays for several days). I've sent a request for the DHL tracking number and should know more specifics in the next 24 hrs. The good news is that the feedback from the inspection people was positive, so it looks like the initial production issues were ironed out in the re-work.

I'm also cajoling the powder-coating people. They were supposed to get the cases to me last week and didn't, so I'll follow up this afternoon. I really want to inspect and ship all these together this week so I can do a single UPS pickup; hopefully the timing will work out.

Thanks again everyone for your patience.

Offline losthumans

« Reply #459 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 17:55:01 »

Thanks, guys! I am indeed back (arrived very late last night and am still caffeinating myself back into consciousness) and will be spending today doing some more prep work of the packing materials. Last I heard, the cases left the inspection/packing place last week and are on their way to me. I was hoping for them to arrive today or tomorrow, but who knows with DHL and customs (last time the cases languished in customs delays for several days). I've sent a request for the DHL tracking number and should know more specifics in the next 24 hrs. The good news is that the feedback from the inspection people was positive, so it looks like the initial production issues were ironed out in the re-work.

I'm also cajoling the powder-coating people. They were supposed to get the cases to me last week and didn't, so I'll follow up this afternoon. I really want to inspect and ship all these together this week so I can do a single UPS pickup; hopefully the timing will work out.

Thanks again everyone for your patience.
Thanks for all the updates!

Offline ryanvs

« Reply #460 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 09:43:42 »
Long shot, but any chance you'll have any spares?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #461 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 10:27:13 »
Long shot, but any chance you'll have any spares?

I won't have any spares from r2, I don't think. However, now that the machine shop has finally found a reliable anodizing vendor, I'll probably do another quick "mini group buy" right after the r2 cases ship for any people who still wanted a case, which should have a much faster turnaround than r2. I keep swearing it's the last run, but then a bunch of people email me asking me to do another. :rolleyes: But I want to get these r2 cases all shipped before starting an r3.

Incidentally, I have some video from the kitting and packing process for anyone who is curious, which was shot just the other day. It's not exactly the most action-packed material, but for some reason I love watching pretty much any kind of manufacturing and assembly, so I figured I'd share. :)

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 August 2017, 10:29:56 by norbauer »

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #462 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 10:39:16 »
I'm happy to sell my spot if anyone is interested. It's for a matte blue Novatouch case

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #463 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 12:31:42 »
It's not exactly the most action-packed material, but for some reason I love watching pretty much any kind of manufacturing and assembly

Same here, it probably goes back to my younger days of watching Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline ryanvs

Re: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, SHIPPING
« Reply #464 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 12:46:15 »
Thanks, looking forward to the next GB.

I hope this isn't out of line, I apologize if it is and I'm happy to remove it.

While I wait for R2 (R3?) of these cases, if anyone would like to sell their original stock CM QFR case please let me know. I bought a used QFR, but the top case is in really bad shape and is not useable without damaging keycaps. I'd use it bare, but I want to protect my new FrostyFlake controller. Thanks.

Offline Will_26

« Reply #465 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 14:15:56 »
Thanks for sharing the videos Ryan! The boxed cases and feet/screws look fantastic, it will be a shame to have to unpack it!  :D

Offline consolation

« Reply #466 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 18:44:27 »
Quote from: norbauer

... I'll probably do another quick "mini group buy" right after the r2...

Quick question, do you plan to do powder coated cases in R2.5?

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #467 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 19:47:47 »
My heart skipped for a second I saw SHIPPING in the thread title. I need to calm down.
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #468 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 21:40:10 »

Incidentally, I have some video from the kitting and packing process for anyone who is curious, which was shot just the other day. It's not exactly the most action-packed material, but for some reason I love watching pretty much any kind of manufacturing and assembly, so I figured I'd share. :)

More

That box... *__* So very nice. I'm definitely going to be taking lots of unboxing pics...
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline pvd

« Reply #469 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 21:52:46 »
Has anyone tried putting a CM masterkeys inside the case?

I'd consider joining R3 for a second case, but I don't have a second novatouch  :p

Offline norbauer

« Reply #470 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 21:56:38 »
Has anyone tried putting a CM masterkeys inside the case?

I'd consider joining R3 for a second case, but I don't have a second novatouch  :p

It definitely fits the Masterkeys Pro S. I haven't tried it with the non-Pro Masterkeys S, but at the very least you'd have to remove the 3 LEDs above the arrow keys for that one.

It also fits the Rapid-i.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #471 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 02:39:14 »
I bought a used QFR, but the top case is in really bad shape and is not useable without damaging keycaps. I'd use it bare, but I want to protect my new FrostyFlake controller

just checking - you are aware this case won't fit the QFR, right?

It definitely fits the Masterkeys Pro S. I haven't tried it with the non-Pro Masterkeys S, but at the very least you'd have to remove the 3 LEDs above the arrow keys for that one.

I've yet to complete my fully-modded Gateron Masterkeys Pro S with R1 case! arrgh

Offline madindehead

« Reply #472 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 03:05:28 »
A r3 would be kinda sweet, really wanted a second case for my Novatouch. Will need to keep an eye out!

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #473 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 05:08:51 »
They are shipping now then?! :O

If so, I wonder if I'll get it before the UK meet on Saturday

Offline autobot

« Reply #474 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 10:38:50 »
If you do decide to do an r3, I'm interested as well  :thumb:

I'd love an Apple Macbook Space Space Grey (match dat iMac Pro/MacBook/Pro, it's a different gray than iPhone 6/6s/iPad Space Gray), and a color that would compliment/match the upcoming GMK Laser (annodized magenta/purply navy)?

I already ordered a Gray and Silver from you, and I'd still buy more  :))

Offline wukong_bot

« Reply #475 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 23:27:33 »
Do you think the cases will ship this week? I'm moving next Friday and want to make sure the case gets sent to the right address

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

« Reply #476 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 11:58:43 »
Hi all. Quick update here to answer the timing questions above. I changed the thread title to "shipping" because the cases are now finished, packed, and in transit. However, they aren't yet physically in my possession. Some will ship to group buy participants this week, but I would counsel that nobody should realistically expect to get his or her case earlier than next week. Of course, I'm happy to update anyone's shipping address (just email me with your shop invoice number).

To be more specific: I've been promised powder coated cases this afternoon and should be able to ship some of them this afternoon and tomorrow, but it now looks like the anodized cases won't arrive to me until next week. >_< I'm kind of at my wit's end with vendors providing overly optimistic timelines for when things will happen; I'm sure it annoys you guys too, and it makes me look like a moron because things always get pushed out to a few days from when the last scheduled date was. But of course all I can do is tell you guys what they tell me. =\ In any case, I apologize again for all the wibbly-wobbliness with respect to the timeline. The inspection/packing company sent me videos (see above), pictures, and reports so I know everything is moving along, but I haven't actually yet gotten the DHL tracking number on the anodized cases. As soon as I have it, I should be able to provide more specific info. I think they shipped yesterday--and theoretically the transit time is 3-4 days, barring customs delays. That's the best info I have at the moment.

I can at least promise is that once I get my hands on them, my turnaround will be fast. I'm sitting here, tape gun in hand, ready and raring to go. ;)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #477 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 12:01:23 »

Quick question, do you plan to do powder coated cases in R2.5?

Yes. :)

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #478 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 12:18:30 »

To be more specific: I've been promised powder coated cases this afternoon and should be able to ship some of them this afternoon and tomorrow, but it now looks like the anodized cases won't arrive to me until next week.

Ooooh any chance you might be able snap a picture of the Retro Refrigerator before it gets boxed up?

Appreciate all the updates norbauer, I can tell this buy is in very good hands  :thumb:
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline zslane

« Reply #479 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 13:05:38 »
I'm kind of at my wit's end with vendors providing overly optimistic timelines for when things will happen; I'm sure it annoys you guys too, and it makes me look like a moron because things always get pushed out to a few days from when the last scheduled date was.

My expectations are always very low when it comes to overseas vendors (Chinese in particular). Their track record, on the whole, is unimpressive enough that I feel incredibly lucky if nothing happens to disappoint me. As such, I fully expect to be disappointed, usually multiple times during a project.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #480 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 13:11:39 »
I'm kind of at my wit's end with vendors providing overly optimistic timelines for when things will happen; I'm sure it annoys you guys too, and it makes me look like a moron because things always get pushed out to a few days from when the last scheduled date was.

My expectations are always very low when it comes to overseas vendors (Chinese in particular). Their track record, on the whole, is unimpressive enough that I feel incredibly lucky if nothing happens to disappoint me. As such, I fully expect to be disappointed, usually multiple times during a project.

Honestly, I've had some amazing and terrible experiences with Chinese vendors, and about the same when it comes to US vendors. It's all a crapshoot until you actually work a few projects with a vendor, and in my experience the thing that matters most is being able to forge a personal relationship—which, admittedly, is harder across a large ocean and a language. But the powder coating shop right here in Silicon Valley, for example, promised me that I'd have these cases before I left for my trip almost two weeks ago. They do good work, but are very bad at time estimates. If they were in China, we might be blaming it on their country of location, but the truth is all humans is bad at estimating how long things take, and everyone is always overly optimistic with estimates, even when we know about the pattern. In my experience, almost all creative projects observe Hofstadter's law.

Offline zslane

« Reply #481 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 13:41:22 »
There was a joke around Honeywell in the mainframe era of computing that to come up with a time estimate for a project, you take what seems like a reasonably accurate estimate, up the units by one (hours -> days, days -> weeks, weeks -> months, etc.) and multiply by two. So a project you think will take four days gets reported to management as requiring eight weeks.

Sadly, today's cutthroat business environment seems to push vendors towards overly optimistic estimates in order to keep customers on the hook so they don't switch to another vendor mid-project.

Offline autobot

« Reply #482 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 14:05:30 »
almost all creative projects observe Hofstadter's law.

As a designer, I totally relate to everything you said.

That was one of the most entertaining Wikipedia rabbit holes I've dove into.

Ninety-ninety rule
Optimism bias
Parkinson's law
Planning fallacy
Reference class forecasting
Student syndrome
Lindy Effect
Valve Time

Offline Aox

« Reply #483 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 21:15:20 »
I didn't know about this threat when I originally purchased my case from Originative, or I would've probably gone direct.  Where does the Originative batch fit in with shipping and such?  Thank you sir!

Offline losthumans

« Reply #484 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 22:35:40 »
I didn't know about this threat when I originally purchased my case from Originative, or I would've probably gone direct.  Where does the Originative batch fit in with shipping and such?  Thank you sir!
I also ordered via Originative so I could snag a Novatouch as well. I believe Norbauer said that those shipments were direct from the inspection group in China to Originative. I would guess they would show up around the same time but not sure how long Originative needs to do their own in-house inspection and shipping. I'm thinking (optimistically) maybe a week later than if you ordered direct. Total guess though.

Offline engra

« Reply #485 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 05:15:29 »

What threat?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #486 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 10:14:30 »

What threat?

I think Aox meant "thread." ;)

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #487 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 10:36:32 »
A technical question, to have this nice effect with the keycaps (fully covered), what is the vertical thickness measured from the END of the pcb (top of the pcb)? 

Offline Longlong14

« Reply #488 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 15:38:21 »
OMG mini r3!!!!! Can you please tell me the approximate time frame so I don't miss it again??? I want this case sooo bad.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #489 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 19:03:47 »
At last, I have some cases to ship! :D

I got all the enigma black and custom powder colors; all that remains from the powder cases are some retro refrigerator and white cases, which the shop promised (with their apologies) to get me early next week. The anodized cases are presumably somewhere over the Pacific now, also arriving to me this coming week.

But in the meantime, I've got the powder cases that I have all boxed up and will print labels this evening. I'll keep harassing the powder shop next week to get me the last of the remaining two colors.

Rather than batching the shipment together as I had originally planned, I'll also go ahead and ship cases as I have them to avoid keeping people waiting any longer than necessary. You'll know when yours ships when you get the notification from Shopify with a tracking number. :)

Offline consolation

« Reply #490 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 19:24:44 »
Ah... Christmas came early this year. Everyone squeal and run around like your pants are on fire!
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 August 2017, 19:20:33 by consolation »

Offline consolation

« Reply #491 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 19:20:41 »
Just got my tracking number, a bit of wee came out... - it's going to be a long week; waiting for precious to come home.

Offline skizosavior

« Reply #492 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 01:36:31 »
I was so upset with myself for suffering a case of indecision getting the Galactic Blue case during the initial GB, hearing about R2.5 makes me so happy I'll have a chance to correct that.

Offline Longlong14

« Reply #493 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 14:47:32 »
What do you guys think i should get for r2.5? Gray or black? Black is classy but gray also looks good?

Offline K.Mak

« Reply #494 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 19:56:34 »
Any chance of having a type C breakout board to replace the stock mini USB in the next round? If I recall correctly your Topre design in progress has Type C so I was wondering if this would get updated.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #495 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 20:05:25 »
I always miss these but I will be down for a round 2.5.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #496 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 10:42:46 »
Any chance of having a type C breakout board to replace the stock mini USB in the next round? If I recall correctly your Topre design in progress has Type C so I was wondering if this would get updated.

We don't really have the room to work with to do that on this board. The RealForce has that big PCB overhang at the top, and there is a big cutout in it where I stick my breakout board. But there is barely a mm of free space in this case. =\

Offline avid

« Reply #497 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 10:54:32 »
There is some talk about the r2.5. Is this something that is next in line or something that might happend after the Realforce case?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #498 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 10:58:31 »
There is some talk about the r2.5. Is this something that is next in line or something that might happend after the Realforce case?

I'll probably actually kick it off within the next week or so, after I'm done shipping the r2 cases. I just don't want to have both going on at the same time, to keep myself (and my inbox) from getting overwhelmed. :)

I'm still working out some final technical/manufacturing issues on the RealForce cases, so that one's still a few weeks off.

Offline Dysnomia

« Reply #499 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 01:50:41 »

I hope I actually catch this group buy this time :D This makes me so happy.