Author Topic: Hello from Sacramento, CA  (Read 2117 times)

Offline theGRINGO64

Hello from Sacramento, CA
« on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 10:54:31 »
Hi All,

I'm Jordan - aka theGRINGO64. Been a PC enthusiast for most of my life but just started to get into custom keyboards about a year ago after a long time using mechanical keyboards for gaming. I'm a father of a nearly 3 year old daughter and married to a beautiful woman from Mexico (hence my nickname theGRINGO). I stream in my free time (http://www.twitch.tv/theGRINGO64). I'm also a regional territory manager for a machine tool manufacturer that makes CNC machines, so I hope to be making some custom cases soon.

Nice to meet you all!

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello from Sacramento, CA
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 13:05:52 »
Hi All,

I'm Jordan - aka theGRINGO64. Been a PC enthusiast for most of my life but just started to get into custom keyboards about a year ago after a long time using mechanical keyboards for gaming. I'm a father of a nearly 3 year old daughter and married to a beautiful woman from Mexico (hence my nickname theGRINGO). I stream in my free time (http://www.twitch.tv/theGRINGO64). I'm also a regional territory manager for a machine tool manufacturer that makes CNC machines, so I hope to be making some custom cases soon.

Nice to meet you all!

Hi Jordan. Welcome to Geekhack.

That's the same thing that got me into mechanical keyboards. I'm still using a 6-or-so-year-old Corsair K70 for most of my gaming (MX reds), and used another K70 with MX blues for typing for years as well before branching out into vintage, and then more modern alternatives to MX.

Are you using mostly linears, or have you tried other switch types?

That CNC connection is cool. I imagine you'll fit in perfectly here with a background like that.

That's a beautiful picture, taken in a beautiful setting.

Offline theGRINGO64

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 13:16:34 »
Thanks Maledicted!

I started with blues, just like most of the gaming community and have since branched out. Have a board with browns and another with YOK Trash Pandas in the alphas and Purple Trash Pandas in the modifiers.

Yeah! Quarantine has really helped me dive deeper into "maker" culture, despite my obvious career in CNC machining. I've already started making some friends on that side within this community and have been getting to know Salvun and recently just started chatting with Jorge at Keycult. All great people and I'm excited to see if I can contribute anything great to all these amazing people.

As for the photo, thank you! Taken at Donner Lake outside of Tahoe - California. The side of California that most people don't think of :D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 13:47:43 »
Thanks Maledicted!

I started with blues, just like most of the gaming community and have since branched out. Have a board with browns and another with YOK Trash Pandas in the alphas and Purple Trash Pandas in the modifiers.

Yeah! Quarantine has really helped me dive deeper into "maker" culture, despite my obvious career in CNC machining. I've already started making some friends on that side within this community and have been getting to know Salvun and recently just started chatting with Jorge at Keycult. All great people and I'm excited to see if I can contribute anything great to all these amazing people.

As for the photo, thank you! Taken at Donner Lake outside of Tahoe - California. The side of California that most people don't think of :D

I would have thought that most people would start with linears like MX red in the gaming market, or Romer G. You do see MX blue in some boards marketed for gamers though. I know I wouldn't want to play games with them, even though I'm a clicky guy.

That sounds like a cool setup for gaming with the trash pandas. I haven't tried them myself. How do you like them? What board have you got them in?

I'm not familiar with either of those people, though  I have heard of Keycult. I'm mostly into vintage keyboards myself, though I swap box thick clicks into random modern OEM boards, and modify them, etc.

Donner Lake must have been breathtaking to see in person. I haven't been to California at all in many years, and the times I did go I was very young. My dad grew up there, mostly the Simi Valley area.

Offline frostykoala

• consider Nightlight
    • Check out some Renders :)
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 14:55:19 »
Whats up

Offline theGRINGO64

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 16:26:48 »
Thanks Maledicted!

I would have thought that most people would start with linears like MX red in the gaming market, or Romer G. You do see MX blue in some boards marketed for gamers though. I know I wouldn't want to play games with them, even though I'm a clicky guy.

That sounds like a cool setup for gaming with the trash pandas. I haven't tried them myself. How do you like them? What board have you got them in?

I'm not familiar with either of those people, though  I have heard of Keycult. I'm mostly into vintage keyboards myself, though I swap box thick clicks into random modern OEM boards, and modify them, etc.

Donner Lake must have been breathtaking to see in person. I haven't been to California at all in many years, and the times I did go I was very young. My dad grew up there, mostly the Simi Valley area.

Yeah - I think the blues are what a lot of gamers fell into 5+ years ago before Romer-G really hit the market hard with a lot of the mainstream gaming manufacturers. Could just be my perception, though.

I love the trash pandas. The purples are nice as well, but they're a bit harder on the push. In a gaming sense, the purples feel like a very "commit" switch - apposed to other tactiles like the browns. When you press them, there's no going back fast after you hit the tactile portion and it almost feels like the key is being pulling all the way into the bottom out of the switch before resetting itself. I'm using them on a Keychron K6.

Donner and Tahoe are beautiful. Oddly enough, it gets some of the deepest snow in the country - which is surprising. Simi is a cool area! Lot's of machine shops around there.

Offline theGRINGO64

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 16:27:15 »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 19:07:23 »
Thanks Maledicted!

Yeah - I think the blues are what a lot of gamers fell into 5+ years ago before Romer-G really hit the market hard with a lot of the mainstream gaming manufacturers. Could just be my perception, though.

I love the trash pandas. The purples are nice as well, but they're a bit harder on the push. In a gaming sense, the purples feel like a very "commit" switch - apposed to other tactiles like the browns. When you press them, there's no going back fast after you hit the tactile portion and it almost feels like the key is being pulling all the way into the bottom out of the switch before resetting itself. I'm using them on a Keychron K6.

Donner and Tahoe are beautiful. Oddly enough, it gets some of the deepest snow in the country - which is surprising. Simi is a cool area! Lot's of machine shops around there.

I got my first K70 in 2014 or so. Even then I knew to look for something linear, so I ended up with reds. I could have sworn that's what was being marketed most as a gaming switch.

Nice. I have heard a lot of good things about Keychrons.

I have no doubt at all on the beauty of Donner and Tahoe. How deep does the snow get? I'm pretty accustomed to deep snow here in Wisconsin. I honestly wouldn't know about Simi myself. I don't think I have ever been there. I have been to parts of LA, including Hollywood, San Francisco, and maybe Santa Barbara. I was 7 the last time I was out there.

Offline theGRINGO64

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 22:12:29 »

Here's a good example.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 17:18:40 »
Show Image

Here's a good example.

Holy hell. I haven't seen snow that deep outside of plow piles in parking lots. How do they even plow that? Where did all of the excess snow even go? It almost looks like it was scooped up and flown away by aliens.

Offline theGRINGO64

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 12:00:18 »
Insane, right?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 15:08:18 »