Author Topic: JD40 Christmas Build!  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
JD40 Christmas Build!
« on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 09:29:13 »
Well, thanks to GeekHack, I'm pretty much getting the best Christmas presents ever. And by pretty much, I mean definitely!

I got a JD40 kit and some building tools from the super awesome jdcarpe in the mail Tuesday.
I gathered a lot of valuable info from Captain Badass' JD40 Build Log and from jdcarpe as well as a few soldering videos and started setting it up immediately.

Below are photos of most everything. I had never soldered before this, so please don't judge my skills too harshly! :D I'm not sure if I got the order correct for all the steps or did everything in the ideal way, BUT it works and it feels pretty solid! So YEAAAA! :D

IMGUR ALBUM

OR CLICK
More

UNBOXING -

JDcarpe was really cool and put my little "boop!" on the back!

BUILDING -

Thanks for checking it out! & MERRY CHRISTMAS!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 December 2014, 10:32:32 by Booper »
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
Re: JD40 Christmas Build!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 10:51:21 »
Great job on your first try.  Props to JD on the custom plate.  All this build needs now is some purple.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 14:14:17 »
Great work! The JD40 is not the easiest project for a beginner, but you successfully built yours, as a first time solderer. That is no small feat! As long as it works, the solder job doesn't have to be exactly perfect. I hope you enjoy it!!

Merry Christmas
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 14:31:49 »
Very cool, looks great with the Granite caps. Nice plate JD, that looks awesome, I love the JD40 logo! Congrats Booper on a successful first solder, and happy holidays to you all!  ;D

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 15:28:14 »
Boop!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline scubaste

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 17:06:37 »
This is such an amazing gift! I am in awe of JD's holiday spirit. You did a good job on your build too booper.  :thumb:

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 17:54:09 »
Excellent gift, and a nice little log too.

How are you enjoying the 40% form factor so far?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 07:01:48 »
Classy build, nice stuff. 

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 11:24:19 »
Great work! The JD40 is not the easiest project for a beginner, but you successfully built yours, as a first time solderer. That is no small feat! As long as it works, the solder job doesn't have to be exactly perfect. I hope you enjoy it!!

Merry Christmas

:D Thank you so much!! I'm definitely enjoying it!! :D

Excellent gift, and a nice little log too.

How are you enjoying the 40% form factor so far?

I like it! It's sooo small. There's not much room for inaccuracy in my keystrokes so I'll have to get used to it, but I really like it!

Thanks!
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 12:17:13 »
This is awesome.  Huge props to JD for his generosity!  Looks like he not only gifted the JD40, but also the FX-888D??  Holy crap.  :eek:

And congrats on the successful first build, Booper!  As you build more and more things, you'll learn better techniques that work for you and your style and allow you to be more consistent, but there's nothing wrong with a build that functions.  :)  Especially for a first-time solderer.   :thumb:

YAY CHRISTMAS!

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 19:02:34 »
Where can I buy mine?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 20:19:15 »
You can still purchase a JD40 from BunnyLake and the crew at the [CTRL]ALT store.

https://ctrlalt.io/store/items/jd40
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 20:23:36 »
Thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 21:09:21 »

Merry Christmas

Rub it in jd... Rub it in. Just kidding!

I'm loving the build log! Congrats on the board Booper!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 22:05:45 »

Merry Christmas

Rub it in jd... Rub it in. Just kidding!

I'm loving the build log! Congrats on the board Booper!

It's okay CBA, you have a long standing tradition with your builds so we understand what happened with yours.  :))

<3 u CPTBadAss  :-*

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 23:41:30 »
Very nicely done!

The GIF of resistors going into place = :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 23:52:16 »
Thumbs up, Boop.  Build looks great, especially for your first one.  Thumbs up to JD, as well.  I'm happy to see so much generosity and positiveness going around, lately.  It's been pretty awesome.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 15:00:56 »
Congrats booper! I know I'm excited to start mine, can't imagine how much more exciting it is having all the parts in hand. :D
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline TobiasFB

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 16:56:06 »
Really great work! That keyboard looks awesome, now i want one too :)

gh60

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 05:23:55 »
Good work Booper!  I'm impressed you had the patience and confidence to do a build log of your first build especially when everything arrived at once.

I think JD needs to work on his wrapping skills though, such an awesome present deserves some ribbon and a bow ;)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod