Author Topic: How do I keep my desk (workstation) organized and keep it that way!  (Read 6101 times)

Offline mrflow3r

• T
Hello everyone, hope you are excited for the brand new year!

Ahem, before it actually comes knocking on my door, I'd like to organize my desk where I do some electrical engineering. And every time I work on something, I get frustrated that parts are hard to find, wires have to be extended to reach the power supply and etc.

Can you guys recommend a few ways to make this desk more usable?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:40:34 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: How do I keep my desk organized and keep it that way!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:01:02 »
borrow from this idea maybe?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:01:45 »
Buy one of those plastic organizers with the drawers and something to label it with

That's what I have at school, but home is a different story...
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:06:18 »
Buy one of those plastic organizers with the drawers and something to label it with

That's what I have at school, but home is a different story...

Ya I have been meaning to get a plastic transparent drawers. Wanted to check with you guys first. Thanks.

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:07:39 »
borrow from this idea maybe?

Show Image

Never thought of desktop shelf. Might actually go for that setup. Easier to make space without putting too much effort in organization.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:12:07 »
A quick start to getting organized could be using bins/boxes to keep things out of the way and less cluttered.  Eventually, you can find what workflow works best for you and get better solutions, but even having the desk space open and available helps a lot.   :thumb:

Also, it seems that this thread might be better suited for Making Stuff Together (since you're looking to optimize your workstation)?  Otherwise Other Geeky Stuff also seems appropriate.  If you think either of these would be more appropriate for your intended use of this thread, just let me know and I can move it.  :)

Offline engicoder

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:17:27 »
After years of trying to keep a tidy desk and failing, I have conceded that its against my nature to try. The are people who keep a tidy desk and those that don't. Accept your destiny and embrace the clutter. Keeping the stuff not in use organized is about as much as I've managed to achieve. I think the key to a tidy desk is having a place for everything, putting things back as soon as your done with them, and being tidy while you work. The latter two I am incapable of.

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:35:33 »
A quick start to getting organized could be using bins/boxes to keep things out of the way and less cluttered.  Eventually, you can find what workflow works best for you and get better solutions, but even having the desk space open and available helps a lot.   :thumb:

Also, it seems that this thread might be better suited for Making Stuff Together (since you're looking to optimize your workstation)?  Otherwise Other Geeky Stuff also seems appropriate.  If you think either of these would be more appropriate for your intended use of this thread, just let me know and I can move it.  :)

Yes open space is absolutely what I need. So organization is a must!

And yes please move this thread to either of the Making Stuff Together or Other Geeky Stuff. I don't mind.

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:36:39 »
After years of trying to keep a tidy desk and failing, I have conceded that its against my nature to try. The are people who keep a tidy desk and those that don't. Accept your destiny and embrace the clutter. Keeping the stuff not in use organized is about as much as I've managed to achieve. I think the key to a tidy desk is having a place for everything, putting things back as soon as your done with them, and being tidy while you work. The latter two I am incapable of.

LOL I realized all I need is more desk space. Hence organization. As long as I get that space, I don't mind accepting my destiny :).

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:42:01 »

Yes open space is absolutely what I need. So organization is a must!

And yes please move this thread to either of the Making Stuff Together or Other Geeky Stuff. I don't mind.

I'll try to find/post some pics of my workstation organization solutions when I get home from work.   :thumb:

I also modified the title to make it more clear what kind of desk you're asking about.  :-[  Feel free to modify it to better fit your needs, I'm not trying to be controlling here.  ;)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: How do I keep my desk (workstation) organized and keep it that way!
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 15:44:16 »
Leafblower.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 16:05:05 »
I have a drawer for all my hand tools, which helps a lot. Also you probably shouldn't be using an ATX power supply like that. It was sorta scary to look at.

In your case, I think a hutch or above desk shelf is a great idea and will help a lot. You can put a lot of that stuff away on it, and once the hand tools are taken care of most of the space will be free.

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 17:01:41 »
I have a drawer for all my hand tools, which helps a lot. Also you probably shouldn't be using an ATX power supply like that. It was sorta scary to look at.

In your case, I think a hutch or above desk shelf is a great idea and will help a lot. You can put a lot of that stuff away on it, and once the hand tools are taken care of most of the space will be free.

The ATX PS scares me to death too. I get extra careful when using it. For the time being, I have no choice :(. Benchtop power supplies are expensive. And thanks for the tip on organizing the hand tools first. Now I look at it, yes it is the handtools that take up most of the space, not the parts!

Offline mrflow3r

• T

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 01:09:03 »

The ATX PS scares me to death too. I get extra careful when using it. For the time being, I have no choice :(. Benchtop power supplies are expensive. And thanks for the tip on organizing the hand tools first. Now I look at it, yes it is the handtools that take up most of the space, not the parts!

my solution is an epsco adjustable PSU from 1953. As such it's a variac into a bridge rectifier, then a choke / capacitor to follow. Completely unregulated and rated for 16V @ 10A. You have to be very careful with it.

I only noticed the hand tools because my workspace always looks like that until I put my panavise away and clean up all the hand tools everywhere. I just got like 9 of them out of the drawer for maintenance so it was fresh on my mind.

Offline neverused

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 07:25:09 »
There are plenty of examples that you can find of diy hobbyist power supplies made from atx psus. It may be worth your time and safety to look into that. They pretty much just break out the individual voltages and if you get really fancy add a couple more features.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 09:56:55 »
There are plenty of examples that you can find of diy hobbyist power supplies made from atx psus. It may be worth your time and safety to look into that. They pretty much just break out the individual voltages and if you get really fancy add a couple more features.

There are also a few things you can do to them to make them safer. Having the end cut off like that with power and GND right next to eachother is not one of them. I also recommend putting a proper voltage regulator on each of the outputs to better stabilize it. (many PSU's don't have individually well regulated voltage rails)

Offline DrudgeDance

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 11:06:12 »
To keep a desk organized you have to keep cleaning it  :eek:

That means everytime you use something you put it back away in its place.  No containers / furniture will assist you without making the effort to put everything back.  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:47:14 »
A few little tips based on my experience (not that I exactly follow them, but I know I probably should):

• Keep only what you need on the desk
  • Put everything else away neatly, where you can find it when you do need it
  • Tidy up regularly, not once every six months
  • If you can't spread out, spread up (e.g. multilevel shelves)
  • If you have the space, use dedicated workspaces (one for soldering, one for keycap cleaning ...)
  • If you find a nice storage solution, buy a few extra (in case they don't sell them when you need to expand)
  • Buy height-adjustable shelves, if possible
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 18:41:32 »

Ya at the moment I'd like to add power LED indicator, terminals for different voltages, and current meter(?). I keep using this PS knowing the danger because it's just so stable.

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 18:43:40 »
To keep a desk organized you have to keep cleaning it  :eek:

That means everytime you use something you put it back away in its place.  No containers / furniture will assist you without making the effort to put everything back.  :p

Yes diligent organization is what it takes but I need an organization scheme to follow first. Right now all my stuff is splattered all over the place!

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 18:57:42 »
That's easy. Just put everything on the bottom shelf. I think some people call it the floor?

Offline DrudgeDance

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 20:18:46 »
That's easy. Just put everything on the bottom shelf. I think some people call it the floor?

:thumb:  I've, personally, ran out of bottom shelf space!

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 21:17:53 »

:thumb:  I've, personally, ran out of bottom shelf space!

That is a problem :( lol

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 17:15:46 »
This is probably the definitive forum thread on the subject.  Beware, once you start reading it, you might not be able to stop.  Tons of ideas.  I hope it helps you.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/whats-your-work-benchlab-look-like-post-some-pictures-of-your-lab/

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 21:21:00 »

I try to keep the floor empty. Way easier to vacuum!

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 21:22:48 »
This is probably the definitive forum thread on the subject.  Beware, once you start reading it, you might not be able to stop.  Tons of ideas.  I hope it helps you.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/whats-your-work-benchlab-look-like-post-some-pictures-of-your-lab/

Holy sh*t... these are some extremely hardcore setups. I think my work space will resemble them nonetheless because it's just unavoidable... Thanks for the link! I like it a lot.

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 07:20:32 »
Glad you enjoyed it.  My favorite setup is this one at the top of page 22:

Although I did have a soft spot for a poor guy that only had a chair and a small table with a scope on it.  :(

Offline DrudgeDance

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 20:56:33 »
Glad you enjoyed it.  My favorite setup is this one at the top of page 22:

Show Image

Although I did have a soft spot for a poor guy that only had a chair and a small table with a scope on it.  :(

That space ... wow.  Currently I'm stuck in a 8x10 room which includes the bed and has become the office for last 2 years.