Author Topic: New foam-filled, bonded-leather 14" wristrests, $7.39 shipped  (Read 23227 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
New foam-filled, bonded-leather 14" wristrests, $7.39 shipped
« on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 03:05:10 »
I just got one of these, and it's great:

Luxury PC Laptop PU Leather Wrist Rest with Meomery [sic] Foam for Standard Keyboards

$7.39, free international shipping (eBay)

As you may know, "bonded" leather is leather sealed with clear polyurethane. It's soft like leather, but it's spill-proof and can last longer. This wrist rest is foam-filled and springs back into shape when you release it. It has a thick textured anti-skid base. It's a lot more comfortable—and classier-looking—than my last one, which was covered with coarse fabric.

The shipping from China was supposed to take at least a month, but mine arrived in 2 weeks. The one in the photo looks black; mine turned out to be chocolate brown. If you order one, you can try dropping the seller a note and requesting one colour or the other.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fanpeople

Re: New foam-filled, bonded-leather 14" wristrests, $7.39 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 03:10:33 »
Thats pretty cool does it smell like leather?

Offline jaffers

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 03:16:12 »

No, PU doesn't smell like anything except plastic and it falls apart quite quickly, even faster in an area of use like a wristrest.

I wouldn't touch these with a 10 foot stick personally. "There is no substitute for quality" Save your money and get a real leather ristrest

EDIT: I have found from many many experiences that PU leather is one of the worst materials manufactured. Well looked after leather will last for over 20 years. We have saddles from back in the 80's that are still in use because they were greased once or twice a year. PU is lucky to last a year
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 January 2016, 03:18:38 by jaffers »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 03:26:37 »

LOL—I thought it did when I took it out of the box, but it was just the power of suggestion. (You know, like how simulated fireplaces seem to emit heat?) It does feel very much like leather to me.

No, PU doesn't smell like anything except plastic and it falls apart quite quickly, even faster in an area of use like a wristrest.... I wouldn't touch these with a 10 foot stick personally. "There is no substitute for quality" Save your money and get a real leather ristrest...

Hey, if you want to spend $35 on a "real" leather wrist rest, knock yourself out—but I don't think you'll be "saving" any money.

For what it's worth, I'm resting my wrists on one of these right now, and I wouldn't have posted about them if I thought they were shoddy. For under 8 bucks total, they seem like a real deal.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 January 2016, 03:33:51 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 03:33:23 »
For what it's worth, I'm resting my wrists on one of these right now, and I wouldn't have posted about them if I thought they were shoddy. For under 8 bucks total, they seem like a real deal.

For what it's worth if you love it then why would you care about anyone's opinion here on Geekhack?

Just please yourself and forget about getting any kudos or back pats from this dismal place.  Only use this place to purchase items and nothing more, that way you'll keep your sanity and spend more time with the people that matter in your life.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 03:35:03 »
For what it's worth if you love it then why would you care about anyone's opinion here on Geekhack? ... Just please yourself and forget about getting any kudos or back pats from this dismal place.  Only use this place to purchase items and nothing more, that way you'll keep your sanity and spend more time with the people that matter in your life.

:?D  Oh well, I guess I'm just naively helpful.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 11:38:41 »
My eyes got wide when I saw 37x8.2x2.5 then I saw cm instead of in. Oh my American mind ;)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 03:08:55 »
Hey guys,

I realize I may simply be inviting more of your geekly skepticism (LOL)—but as these are still available, I just thought I'd post this follow-up:

I've been using this wrist rest daily for a couple of weeks now, and it's every bit as comfortable and new-looking as when it arrived. It's easily the nicest rest I've ever had, and I've had quite a few. It also happens to have been the least expensive (but then, I didn't order any of my previous ones directly from the East like this one).

I have no financial interest in the sale of these; I just wanted to share with y'all what I considered a good thing. Cheers!
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2016, 03:12:31 by ander »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 02:25:01 »
It's me again... Okay, I've really tested this now! I've used it for three months, 2–3 hours every day, and it looks and feels exactly as it did when it arrived. There's not hint of wear, and the foam is just as resilient and comfortable.

I also just noticed this in the description (my italics):

A heavy steel base with a rubber coated cloth covering provides stability and just the right amount of traction...

That accounts for the extra weight. This thing is hefty. I can't help thinking of when they used to put steel plates in keyboards.  :?)

I see the seller still has a couple left, so I just thought I'd post this follow-up. I'll stop bothering you now.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: New foam-filled, bonded-leather 14" wrist rests, $7.39 shipped
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 00:26:50 »
No, PU doesn't smell like anything except plastic and it falls apart quite quickly, even faster in an area of use like a wristrest...

Yes, this is an old thread now—but that's the point!

I just wanted to mention that my "fall apart quickly" (LOL) wrist rest is still going strong nearly 2 years later. I was going to post another photo, but frankly it doesn't look much different from when it arrived.

Hence I'm recommending these even more highly, now that I know how well they hold up. Similar deals are still available:thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 February 2019, 03:33:35 by ander »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 08:02:11 »
So, anyway, I'm just saying. Wristrest-wise.

Offline MFahim

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 20:50:07 »
The one I had before I moved was a few layers of foam or w.e those things are called (used for packages) wrapped around a piece of discarded lumber, and some nice patterned cloth around that. Then afterwards I got a "real" wood one after making my first custom mech. I've passed that on to a family member but reading your post gave me a bit of nostalgia lol.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 02:40:08 »
The one I had before I moved was a few layers of foam or w.e those things are called (used for packages) wrapped around a piece of discarded lumber, and some nice patterned cloth around that. Then afterwards I got a "real" wood one after making my first custom mech. I've passed that on to a family member but reading your post gave me a bit of nostalgia lol.

How can you compare something like that to this? Sorry, you've lost me.

Offline MFahim

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 18:56:04 »

How can you compare something like that to this? Sorry, you've lost me.

Cheap ways to combat CTS.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 09 March 2022, 06:22:05 »
Well, it's almost three years later, and I thought I'd mention that this wrist rest is just fine (LOL)—it didn't fall apart or explode or anything.

Sometimes a good deal actually is a good deal! Cheers, A.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 00:33:07 »
Well, it's almost three years later, and I thought I'd mention that this wrist rest is just fine (LOL)—it didn't fall apart or explode or anything.

Does it smell like leather now?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 10:17:31 »

Does it smell like leather now?

Isn't PU leather artificial? Is it PU or bonded?