Author Topic: FLAT Windows Keycaps  (Read 2790 times)

Offline shrumpkin

FLAT Windows Keycaps
« on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 12:58:28 »
Greetings Fellow Geeks,

Does any one of you have an idea where I can order black, blank keycaps for my Filco w/Cherry blue switches? I have the tenkeyless and I recently ordered the blank keycaps (I purchased the keyboard with letters, but since I'm a touch typist, found it utterly ridiculous and I like the look of the "Otaku." board).

I use a Mac and cannot stand the "bubbles" on the Windows start menu keys. They're ugly and feel awful compared to the other keys.

I'm glad they're finally shipping "Otaku" keyboards without these ridiculous keycaps at elitekeyboards.com

I thought that if I ordered Filco's blank keyset that the Windows keys wouldn't be included, but alas the were.

Ugh...

Thanks for your suggestions all.

Offline EverythingIBM

FLAT Windows Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 June 2010, 01:36:41 »
You could always get those keyboards that never came with windows keys. I kind of hate windows keys anyways. ctrl + esc ftw.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
FLAT Windows Keycaps
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 June 2010, 01:59:30 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;193916
ctrl + esc ftw.

Thank you. Thank you.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline hyperlinked

FLAT Windows Keycaps
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 June 2010, 02:07:09 »
Quote from: shrumpkin;193329
I use a Mac and cannot stand the "bubbles" on the Windows start menu keys. They're ugly and feel awful compared to the other keys.

If the feel of them bugs you more than the look, you can always just swap it with the Menu, Alt, or Ctrl key from the right side.

I'm not keen of the look myself, but I hardly ever look down at my keyboard and practically forget that they exist except when threads like this come up and I steal a glance and go, "wooo... those buttons are indeed ass ugly."
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
FLAT Windows Keycaps
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 June 2010, 02:23:51 »
Ctrl+Esc doesn't accomplish what the Windows key accomplishes...it opens the Start menu. If all the WinKey did was open the Start menu, it would indeed be easy for anyone to let go of it...
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
FLAT Windows Keycaps
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 06:10:46 »
Some of us are not sophisticated enough to use the win key for more than the start menu.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline itlnstln

FLAT Windows Keycaps
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 09:48:39 »
I use the Windows key to lock my PC and that's it.  I know it's handy, but that also means I have to remember stuff.

Offline itlnstln

FLAT Windows Keycaps
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 10:50:56 »
I don't have to remember that.  Those keys are right where your hands land when you press Fn with your pinkie.  I still have to check for page nav keys I don't use very often (like Page  Dn), but that's fairly rare.  The HHKB is a lot more intuitive than you might think.

Offline itlnstln

FLAT Windows Keycaps
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 11:08:37 »
That's true, it's all plastic.  If I had the time and money, I would take the mounting plate from a RF, and mod it to fit the HHKB and see if that makes it feel any better.  From time to time, I get disappointed in how the switches feel.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
FLAT Windows Keycaps
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 15:52:42 »
I don't ever really pay attention to Windows keys. Who cares about them? I never use them, and tend to forget whether or not there is a Windows key. It just seems kind of funny how some of you all get riled up over whether or not some useless key nobody uses is flat or not.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline EverythingIBM

FLAT Windows Keycaps
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 June 2010, 19:27:16 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;194414
I don't ever really pay attention to Windows keys. Who cares about them? I never use them, and tend to forget whether or not there is a Windows key. It just seems kind of funny how some of you all get riled up over whether or not some useless key nobody uses is flat or not.

Wow, I couldn't have said it any better! Well, maybe...

Quote from: EverythingIBM;194414
I don't ever really pay attention to Windows keys. Who cares about them? I never use them, and tend to forget whether or not there is a Windows key. It just seems kind of funny how some of you all get riled up over whether or not some useless key nobody uses is flat or not. Now, Go buy an IBM PC!
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT