Author Topic: Logistics of creating a switch  (Read 2254 times)

Offline HeadlessHorseman

• Kiwis have it tougher than you
    • My yt channel
Logistics of creating a switch
« on: Mon, 09 October 2023, 00:15:25 »
assuming I have already got a design for a switch in a 3d software such as blender or fusion 360 or another one and I wanted to print one or multiple (depending on if a single switch would even be possible to manufacture). How would I go about doing that, would I need to be in contact with a major provider or are there companies that can offer that as a service?

also keeping shipping to Australia, Germany or New Zealand open.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Logistics of creating a switch
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 October 2023, 19:42:50 »
CAD, even with experience isn't even remotely enough.
You're not designing a switch, you aren't even designing a switch that will last 60mil cycles, you're designing multiple multi part molds can handle millions of cycles of rapidly heating, cooling, and quickly ejecting those hyper precise 60m cycle parts without distorting them. Just the act of injection molding your design means you can't just design how you want, it requires some serious design considerations in order to make it viable, and I don't just mean how many sides it has or axis it needs (those add costs), but how those sides sit determine if it can even be done or how many parts the mold needs to be to make it work.

All this is to say that there's one reason we've had very few entirely new switch designs over the last few decades... Up front costs for tooling and testing.
Even Logitech went to Omron for help designing theirs and considering they're now offering MX switches you could argue even that failed.

There's no cheap way to do it.
It doesn't matter if you need 100 or 10,000 the steps are the same and that's the problem with injection molding, all the cost is up front, you make your mold you pull the trigger and if it's wrong, you'll most likely have to make the mold all over again unless you have a REALLY good machinist and welder on hand who can alter it. We aren't talking a few hundred dollars here either, the injection machine can be rented, the molds are where the money lies and you can spend thousands VERY VERY quickly. With no experience you could easily be into high end Mercedes or even Ferrari territory before you get your first properly working switch, at which point you can crank them out for a few cents each but that first one costs a fortune.

Also, beware China.
While they may give you a better price (assuming your design works), they're just as likely to have them up for sale on Ebay and Ali Express before the boat arrives with your shipment... For the same price you paid or less. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Now if you just want to revise a current design, like raise actuation or meh, contact Gateron and they can set you up (may not even need CAD) but if you want a total new design, bend waaaay over. And no, there's really no one you can just call to help you on this. The people who can do it, are employed and/or own the companies, they aren't going (or simply can't) come help.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline HeadlessHorseman

• Kiwis have it tougher than you
    • My yt channel
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 October 2023, 00:21:29 »
sweet thats right about what i expected thanks, just had to prove a point to a friend

Offline fanf

• Tony Finch's home page
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 October 2023, 05:05:04 »
I saw this article yesterday https://www.airgradient.com/blog/lessons-learned-plastic-injection-mold-making/ which has some practical advice

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 October 2023, 05:48:02 »
You could search for info on how Input.Club has been doing. They cooperated with Kailh, first to create Halo (custom slider only), then Hako (custom box slider only) and then Silo (hall-effect, new housing, new slider, new mechanisms).

Halo and Hako were released on time (AFAIK), but the Silo has been through a lot of problems. The Kickstarter crowd-funding for the keyboards supposed to feature the first ones started in 2019 and still hasn't delivered. Last year they had to cancel their Beam Spring variant because it was too complicated and expensive to manufacture one that was also durable.