Author Topic: Anyone have experience with the BSR keyboard? Problem with no response.  (Read 2844 times)

Offline NeeGo

I'm talking about the BSR GJJ4AKEAT 1010DS (the same one REVENGE is selling). Just recently picked one up, connected to the computer via

(VendorID: 13ba
ProductID: 0017)

LED lights up, I can press Num Lock on and off (only few times) before the keyboard locks out/freezes/no longer respond. Also right after I plug in, I can only manage to get 1-3 letters/numbers typed out before the keyboard locks out/freezes/no longer respond.

Adapter above worked for my rubber-dome Monterey K208; though not mechanical keyboard, it worked nonetheless so problem probably resides in my BSR.

After finding out my Monterey K208 is rubber-dome, I was stoked to finally use this mechanical one, only for it to not work. Experts?

Edit: Googling around, I found a near-identical keyboard and it displays 250mA in the back. Is that my problem? That my adapter (which I bought cheaply) is too weak (On USBDeview, I only see 100 mA under Power)?
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 March 2011, 15:54:07 by NeeGo »

Offline NeeGo

Anyone have experience with the BSR keyboard? Problem with no response.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 18:23:12 »
Bump

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 18:28:16 »
Is that a Korean keyboard? Maybe you could ask over at KBDMania.

Offline NeeGo

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 19:08:33 »
Thanks keyboardlover, will do and yes, it's a Korean keyboard. In the meantime, if anyone can shed light on the current power issue between my keyboard and the computer/converter, be my guest.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 19:17:35 »
Cool, tell the kbdmania folks I say hi. I became a bit of a celebrity there after one of their members found out I have a crush on Taeyeon.

Offline NeeGo

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 19:32:00 »
You people and your love for Taeyeon. -.-

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 19:48:45 »
It could be any combination of insufficient current from the USB port and dried-out electrolytic capacitors in the board... and the adapter is not entirely out either. Maybe try another known-reliable adapter or computer.

Then again, it only flaking out after a few seconds is strange. Sounds like it could be a thermal issue or something related, like a bad solder joint.

The escalation plan would look something like this:
1. Try another adapter and/or computer to make sure it is the board.
2. If so, open up board, inspect solder joints with magnifying tool, esp. those for power (+5V) connections at cable lead-in and microprocessor. A flashlight on the backside of the PCB might help find hairline cracks (hopefully none).
3. If that doesn't turn up anything, write down the values and form factor of electrolytic capacitors (usually there aren't more than a few on there) and replace those with new ones for good measure (same capacity, same or higher voltage rating, mechanically fitting).
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline NeeGo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 19:57:37 »
Quote from: ripster;317261
Could be your dongle.

Stick a Blue Cube or Belkin on it.  It has solved over a dozen of these same sort of power problems here at Geekhack.

Alright that'll be my first step. Thanks again ripster.

Quote from: keyb_gr;317257
It could be any combination of insufficient current from the USB port and dried-out electrolytic capacitors in the board... and the adapter is not entirely out either. Maybe try another known-reliable adapter or computer.

Then again, it only flaking out after a few seconds is strange. Sounds like it could be a thermal issue or something related, like a bad solder joint.

The escalation plan would look something like this:
1. Try another adapter and/or computer to make sure it is the board.
2. If so, open up board, inspect solder joints with magnifying tool, esp. those for power (+5V) connections at cable lead-in and microprocessor. A flashlight on the backside of the PCB might help find hairline cracks (hopefully none).
3. If that doesn't turn up anything, write down the values and form factor of electrolytic capacitors (usually there aren't more than a few on there) and replace those with new ones for good measure (same capacity, same or higher voltage rating, mechanically fitting).

Hopefully I don't have to resort to steps 2 or 3 but if 1 doesn't work, I'll be sure to refer back to your post. Thanks!

Offline NeeGo

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 01:46:19 »
I'm back now with a blue cube. This time, the keyboard actually works but not properly (I have to type one key at a time somewhat slowly). When I start to type faster: liketnw, hn i stat having probleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (it's supposed to say "like right now, then I start to have problems").

Basically when I type fast, some keys aren't typed out (I noticed some input lag too) and if I continue to type fast, then thisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss happens and I have to retype the dragged out letter to stop it from continuing (in this case, the letter "s").

How would I diagnose something like this? Follow keyb_gr's advice or is this keyboard FUBAR?

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 02:11:42 »
Quote from: NeeGo;320485
I'm back now with a blue cube. This time, the keyboard actually works but not properly (I have to type one key at a time somewhat slowly). When I start to type faster: liketnw, hn i stat having probleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (it's supposed to say "like right now, then I start to have problems").

Basically when I type fast, some keys aren't typed out (I noticed some input lag too) and if I continue to type fast, then thisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss happens and I have to retype the dragged out letter to stop it from continuing (in this case, the letter "s").

How would I diagnose something like this? Follow keyb_gr's advice or is this keyboard FUBAR?
I would try it on a native PS/2 port and see if it works properly. FYI, I use an adapter that shares the chipset used in the Belkins, you can check it out in the adapter wiki. My friend played typeracer plenty of times on that board with an adapter and experienced no problems whatsoever.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline NeeGo

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 19:41:39 »
Quote from: REVENGE;320491
I would try it on a native PS/2 port and see if it works properly. FYI, I use an adapter that shares the chipset used in the Belkins, you can check it out in the adapter wiki. My friend played typeracer plenty of times on that board with an adapter and experienced no problems whatsoever.

Alright I'll dig out my old motherboard later this weekend.

Quote from: ripster;320668
The Blue Cube DOES have the same chipset.

And it's the one PCkeyboards recommends.  They would know.
Show Image

Show Image

Good to know I won't need to buy ANOTHER adapter. Oh and ripster, stop pretending that those keyboards in the pictures belong to PCkeyboards; we all know they were taken in your garage :biggrin: