Author Topic: Raspberry Pi as Keyboard Controller?  (Read 4162 times)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
Raspberry Pi as Keyboard Controller?
« on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 07:34:55 »
You'll probably think this is a stupid question...

Is there any way of using a Raspberry Pi as a keyboard controller?

I know it is probably considered "extra humongous" by keyboard controller standards but it outputs audio and is seems like it is easy to code for so I decided to ask all u hardware geniuses out there about it.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Raspberry Pi as Keyboard Controller?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 08:04:41 »
I've seen someone put it in a Cherry 3000 case and uses it as a computer/keyboard
Keyboardless

Offline Soarer

Re: Raspberry Pi as Keyboard Controller?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 08:07:10 »
But I bet they did the sensible thing and just wired the Cherry controller to the Pi's USB port  :))

Offline Parak

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 09:12:11 »
It might be possible hypothetically, but the gpio pins there are few in number and don't provide much current, so there would need to be additional bits and pieces like shift registers and all that. It'd be a rather expensive overkill for a keyboard controller, unless the intention is to use it like a C64.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 09:36:07 »
I am trying to cook up a custom keyboard.  So as long as I am going to all that trouble I figured I may as well try to figure out a way to get REAL audio output from a keyboard controller.  Real Audio = 16-bit stereo sound samples.  I'm not really a hardware dezine kinda guy.  More a c0der guy.

That one guy made a pretty awesome controller with a piezo speaker, which I am just assuming "sounds awful" (not that I Know anything).

Is there some obvious easy way to get real audio output from a keyboard controller?

I want optional clicky keys where the sound is a user selected sound sample or selected from a bunch of samples built-in to the ROM.

32 GB SDHC cards are only $14.39 at NewEgg which would hold an "unlimited" amount of samples.  Of course a controller with an SDHC port would cost more I guess... I am just trying to come up with a cheap easy way to get some storage space and audio output in a keyboard controller....  The Raspberry Pi popped into mind.

Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 09:38:22 »
otoh a Z80 based keyboard would be hilarious. otoh, we have enough trouble getting production going on our avr based designs; let's not make things more complicated than they need to be ;)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 09:56:13 »
I think this is pretty frigging awesome:
http://www.instructables.com/id/RaspTI-Convert-a-Vintage-Computer-TI-994A-into/

(Raspberry Pi isn't the keyboard controller though. It still uses the Teensy for that.)

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 22:50:56 »
I feel like a Teensy or Arduino would be a better candidate for a controller

Offline uzoc

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 23:02:04 »