Author Topic: Keycap o-ring fit differences?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline nathairtras

Keycap o-ring fit differences?
« on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 10:29:11 »
I have a limited selection of keys to test with, and have not yet fully installed all of the o-rings, but I am finding that o-rings on my QFR with greens leave the keys feeling a bit... mushy.  Admittedly, I strike the keys pretty forcefully, so I know that I am bottoming out the keys every time, which is why I wanted the o-rings.  More for coworkers than for myself.

Does anyone have any experience with how different keycaps impact the feel of the o-ring mod?  I only have the home row done, and am already consider giving up on it, but at the same time am wondering if it isn't in part the stock keys on the QFR, if PBT keys might feel different due to the weight, if it is just how the stock keys feel in general, no idea. 

Also finding that the numpad with browns feels nicer with the o-rings, while the QFR with greens feels not quite as good.  (Numpad is a Goldtouch, low profile keycaps, really wishing I had gotten a retro dsa kit for it while Techkeys had some in stock.  :(  )  For feel, I much prefer greens, though I'm wondering if I could get over the lack of auditory feedback with a heavier linear switch.  All of this is to best emulate the feel (force) of the Model M without the noise, without (for now) a floss mod.

O-rings are just the $8 pack that everyone seems to get off of Amazon.
CM QFR Green

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Keycap o-ring fit differences?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 10:32:17 »
It depends a lot on the cross-bar support underneath the caps. If you look in my signature, I have an o-ring review. I had to write it twice because the caps from SP didn't have the cross-bar and it pretty much negated any effect the o-rings had.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 10:33:36 »
I have never had greens, but for blues I prefer soft landing pads. They do have a "mushiness" that I do not find objectionable.

For all other Cherries, I prefer soft thin O-rings.
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 15:53:44 »
If you look in my signature, I have an o-ring review.
Thanks, will have to have a look at that once I'm off the clock.  Suppose I should save posting for that time as well...  ;D
I had to write it twice because the caps from SP didn't have the cross-bar and it pretty much negated any effect the o-rings had.
Maybe that is what is going on with the GH DSA key - I like how it feels possibly because it makes the travel closer to that of the stock keys on the QFR.

Either way, the shorter travel and softer landing is slowly growing on me.  The sound is definitely less pronounced as well, which is good.  I think it may be an issue of new feel = bad feel, until I started to get over what I was expecting the keys to feel like.
CM QFR Green