Author Topic: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)  (Read 772460 times)

Offline kacase

• All things bright and beautiful.
    • 9di
Re: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)
« Reply #3050 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 09:54:24 »
I got a message from yuktsi and he said that 70% of the orders have been shipped so far the last ones (including mine) will be shipped soon! :)

After all the pretty pictures floating around here, I can’t wait to assemble mine. I guess I will order some stabs from Zeal, as they seem to be missing for everyone. Unluckily I ordered both the snap-in AND the screw in stabs, so it will be twice the loss. I am sure that the board will be worth it though. I’m getting excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Orion V2 | Rama M65-A | Rama M67-A aka. Exent | Keycool TKL | Cherry MX Board 3.0

Offline U47

« Reply #3051 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 14:54:33 »
Getting an ortholinear plate and pcb manufactured so dont really care for any pcb defects

I'd love to get on-board an ortho plate/pcb train. Are you looking for help or partners?

Offline Saifalhaj

« Reply #3052 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 01:13:45 »
Still nothing here, not a notification,email or any other form of communication in regards to my premium order.

Id love an update.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #3053 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 01:55:31 »
Still nothing here, not a notification,email or any other form of communication in regards to my premium order.

Id love an update.

Same here. And I have invoice no. 005 -.-

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #3054 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 12:12:18 »
Quick update: Kit had everything in it except for stabs and some screws.  The PCB was loosely packed in the case, so it was rattling around while being shipped.  I tested the PCB and all keys work, thank goodness.  The poly plate was in good shape.  One of the LEDs on the PCB is an off-color, but it works.

Even though the board wasn't shipped with all the screws (4 for plate instead of 5, 3 for bar instead of 5) and no stabs (I now have to wait to build this until my order for stabs comes in), the board works and I am generally happy with the quality.  The anodization is good.  The black top and bottom aluminum pieces fit together very well.

The black is a very finely anodized matte black.  There were some spots (corners of etched letters) where the anodization is flecking, but not a big deal.

Thanks for finishing this group buy off Yuktsi.  I would rather have all these ship out and finish than getting stabs and all screws.

I'll post pics once I've got the board built.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #3055 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 15:18:54 »
Ok, finally got around to getting a pic of the dark grey and black next to each other. In person I feel like the dark grey reads much darker than it looks in person and at a glance I wouldn’t be able to tell them apart, but lit up with a bright cool tone on my bench the difference seems much greater. No stabs, haven’t counted screws, but annodization is flawlessand polycarb is in perfect condition. Haven’t tested the PCB’s yet either.

I do gotta say though after the M65-A’s polished brass plate the matte brass plate on this looks kindof bland. I almost like the silver more.

Edit: One PCB is perfect, one has issues.

« Last Edit: Tue, 12 June 2018, 19:45:17 by dead_pixel_design »

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #3056 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 18:16:32 »
Ok, finally got around to getting a pic of the dark grey and black next to each other. In person I feel like the dark grey reads much darker than it looks in person and at a glance I wouldn’t be able to tell them apart, but lit up with a bright cool tone on my bench the difference seems much greater. No stabs, haven’t counted screws, but annodization is flawlessand polycarb is in perfect condition. Haven’t tested the PCB’s yet either.

I do gotta say though after the M65-A’s polished brass plate the matte brass plate on this looks kindof bland. I almost like the silver more.

Are those annodization splotches, or something else on the top housing? (left hand side most noticeable)

« Reply #3057 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 18:24:26 »

Are those annodization splotches, or something else on the top housing? (left hand side most noticeable)

No, the anodization is some of the best I have seen

Offline gutsack

« Reply #3058 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 18:25:12 »

Those look like handprints to me. I have the gray and it's not splotchy as far as I can see but it picks up finger and handprints pretty horribly.

« Reply #3059 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 18:39:43 »
Those look like handprints to me.

Yeah, just my oily hands

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #3060 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 18:43:47 »
Those look like handprints to me.

Yeah, just my oily hands

cool cool, thought maybe that was it

« Reply #3061 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 19:04:03 »
cool cool, thought maybe that was it

It looks a lot more visible in the photo than it actually is, so much so that I had to double check to make sure it wasn't anodization issues. Probably couldn't hurt to hit it with some rubbing alcohol

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #3062 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 12:34:54 »

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/UnfoldedHorribleBengaltiger

Took this gif the other day. Pretty skookum
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline wongie

« Reply #3063 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 13:22:24 »
It appears there's still some boards being sent out that didn't have their LEDs reflowed. One my two boards had all but one nonfunctional upon arrival, one of LEDs on the bottom left even fell off, lol. The second board is in the complete opposite state, all LEDs except one working. Guess I'll have a bit of a busier weekend than I originally planned.

Offline Moderate

« Reply #3064 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 13:10:15 »
Finally got some PCB mount stabs to arrive and I've just soldered all my switches in. As it turns out, I'm missing a column which, admittedly, I can't say isn't my fault.

The column in question includes the 4, R, F and C keys.

Is there a guide in here for fixing this or can someone suggest how to fix this? Cheers guys :)

Offline gutsack

« Reply #3065 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 13:33:52 »
Is there a guide in here for fixing this or can someone suggest how to fix this? Cheers guys :)

See this:

Got around taking a few pics of the kit i got a few days ago.
Just some time frames on delivery:
Code: [Select]
05 Jun 2018, 08:47:00 AMItem delivered to VP IRELAND
04 Jun 2018, 09:36:00 AMItem arrived at IRELAND
30 May 2018, 12:27:46 AMItem en route to IRELANDMYKULA
29 May 2018, 10:26:00 PMConsignment Arrived MYKULA
27 May 2018, 01:28:59 AMConsignment received and processed from posting at Post Offices Pos Laju Transit Office
26 May 2018, 03:36:55 PMConsignment dispatch out from Transit Office PosLaju Parcel Hub
26 May 2018, 02:19:15 PMItem processed PosLaju Parcel Hub
25 May 2018, 03:06:25 PMItem posted over the counter Puchong PO

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

You can see the pin that needs re-flowing.

Getting an ortholinear plate and pcb manufactured so dont really care for any pcb defects (the usb plug is soldered slightly crooked, would need to re-flow pins, etc..).

Overall pretty happy.

Could you point out which pin needs re-flowing? Or all of it?
Show Image

Congrat and thank you for reply

A bit clearer pic i hope

Show Image

I will probably end up re-flowing the whole thing if i butcher those pins.

Offline Moderate

« Reply #3066 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 14:29:33 »

See this:

Oh, no kidding it was only a page or two back. Thanks. Looking at my board it looks like "COL04" may require reflowing but going by the bootmapper it's "ROW11" that's dead. Its pin appears fine, buuut...

Guess I'll have to phone a friend on this one. I've got a mate with far more experience and better equipment for soldering circuit boards. Thanks again, though.

Edit:
Worked out a fix. After some testing with a multimeter and guidance from that friend more experienced with electronics, we determined that the problem was a break somewhere in the trace between the controller pin and the start of the switch row. Got him to give it a look over and the pin (24 for row 11) was soldered fine. He ended up patching in a wire between the pin and switch to get it functioning again.

Pic here of the fix: https://imgur.com/cjgF8HE

Which worked overnight but after leaving the keyboard alone for several hours and coming back, row 11 is non-functioning again. Just tested with a multimeter and everything seems in order, the wire is still joined.. I have no idea what's gone wrong this time. More troubleshooting, I guess!

Edit 2:

Just plugged it back in after testing with the multimeter and now row 11 is constantly active. Just opened notepad and was greeted with spam of "4rfc" over and over.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 June 2018, 04:14:43 by Moderate »

Offline Traveler

« Reply #3067 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 12:53:19 »
Edit 2:

Just plugged it back in after testing with the multimeter and now row 11 is constantly active. Just opened notepad and was greeted with spam of "4rfc" over and over.

Congrats on the fix! Hope that works well for you longterm. I'd be screwed if I had to do something like that. I have no knowledge or experience with wiring and tracing routes.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3068 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 13:02:05 »
Got my board!!

Huge thanks to Bunnylake for building this ****ing wonderful thing for me and for helping make sure the Miami keyset never died all those years ago!

« Reply #3069 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 13:14:53 »
Got my board!!

Holy crap this looks good!!!!

Offline Moderate

« Reply #3070 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 00:05:03 »
Edit 2:

Congrats on the fix! Hope that works well for you longterm. I'd be screwed if I had to do something like that. I have no knowledge or experience with wiring and tracing routes.

Hahah thanks! I have to thank my friend for helping me out with that one though.

Unfortunately the fix is no longer working, I've checked the paths with the multimeter and it's all good, but for some reason the row is dead again because the controller appears to be saying they're constantly being actuated. I've messaged yuktsi about buying another PCB because this is beyond me now hahah. Doing patch fixes like this shouldn't be necessary in the first place  :(

Offline Traveler

« Reply #3071 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 11:06:21 »
I've messaged yuktsi about buying another PCB because this is beyond me now hahah. Doing patch fixes like this shouldn't be necessary in the first place  :(

Hopefully you can get your hands on another one. It's hard getting an extra PCB.

Offline Count Zero

« Reply #3072 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 18:25:47 »
I got more problems guys, this time with the switch LED's. I have two switches that won't light up. I'm using an led that I have gotten to light up using other contacts on the PCB, and I've tried it in reverse in case it's a polarity thing. It looks like there are a couple pads missing a little component, could that be the cause of my issues?

Non-working positions outlined in red:

Left side close-up:

Right side close-up:

[edit] is the group buy thread the appropriate place for technical questions or should I be taking this elsewhere?
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 June 2018, 18:27:34 by Count Zero »

Offline demorior

« Reply #3073 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 22:54:19 »
Anyone interested in buying my Exent?
Black case, Cracked poly bottom and questionable PCB. Would be willing to let it go for a pretty low price.
Just sick of waiting on Juahenza and Yuktsi. Yuktsi won't even answer my PMs and I'm not going to wait another year
to have a fully functioning keyboard.

Offline Traveler

« Reply #3074 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 12:07:13 »
I got more problems guys, this time with the switch LED's...

It's interesting that both of them are right next to one of the RGB lights. Hopefully someone can help you; I've had terrible luck with in-switch LEDs in the past so I don't even try to use them anymore.

Anyone interested in buying my Exent? Black case, Cracked poly bottom and questionable PCB...

Have you tried r/mechmarket? People tend to have some good luck over there. I know the Reddit community in general didn't care much for the bezel but there were plenty of people who still liked it.

If it's just the PCB you're worried about, there's someone around here who is interested in making an ortholinear PCB and plate for the Exent. Not sure it'll ever happen, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

« Reply #3075 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 12:18:52 »
Anyone interested in buying my Exent?
Black case, Cracked poly bottom and questionable PCB. Would be willing to let it go for a pretty low price.
Just sick of waiting on Juahenza and Yuktsi. Yuktsi won't even answer my PMs and I'm not going to wait another year
to have a fully functioning keyboard.

PM'd

Offline Helldrop

« Reply #3076 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 12:32:43 »
Considering this situation, getting the replacement of my cracked PC bottom seems almost impossible.
So, I'm looking for an aluminum bottom. If someone has an extra one, PM me please.

Offline Gdubb90

« Reply #3077 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 15:32:07 »
Anyone at waiting on theirs? Haven't heard a peep about my premium kit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

///    /// 

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #3078 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:33:45 »

Same here ..

Offline zurikade

• Math Always Wins.
« Reply #3079 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 17:02:55 »

Hi friend! I'm in Toronto still waiting for my premium with two bases. I reached out to Yuktsi a few weeks ago on here, no response.

Still hopeful.

Offline Katanadog

« Reply #3080 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 21:19:17 »
Waiting on a black basic with alu bottom.

Offline Katanadog

« Reply #3081 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 21:19:38 »
No reply from Yuktsi either.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2018, 21:21:18 by Katanadog »

Offline nop_coder

« Reply #3082 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 23:14:42 »

Same here

Offline fuzzbomb

« Reply #3083 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 14:08:23 »

Same. Haven't gotten any response from yuktsi since March 1st.

Offline Count Zero

« Reply #3084 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 17:49:39 »
Got a request for anyone with a pcb in easy reach. I'm pretty sure my pcb is missing three resistors. In the first picture I've outlined where on the pcb they seem to be missing from, the second picture is a closeup of where one isn't. If your pcb does have a resistor here and you can tell me what it's value is I will be eternally grateful.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #3085 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 17:59:19 »
Got a request for anyone with a pcb in easy reach. I'm pretty sure my pcb is missing three resistors. In the first picture I've outlined where on the pcb they seem to be missing from, the second picture is a closeup of where one isn't. If your pcb does have a resistor here and you can tell me what it's value is I will be eternally grateful.

Show Image

Show Image

Your close up picture looks like my board does.  I don't see transistors/resistors on those pads...  Which is weird.   I've got it in a fairly functioning state, so I imagine this is by design. 

Unfortunately, I can't get the damn thing to load into bootload mode after I initially flashed the controller.  Does anyone know which pads to use to throw this into bootload mode?

There were some talks about the ICSP01 pads being shorted to force into bootloader.  Anyone have any success with that?

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #3086 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 11:30:23 »
My build at work:

Still can't get the damn thing back into bootloader mode.  Anyone know which pads to short?  Left CTRL stopped working after I flashed it.  :confused:

Thanks!

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #3087 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 13:02:01 »
My build at work:

Show Image

Still can't get the damn thing back into bootloader mode.  Anyone know which pads to short?  Left CTRL stopped working after I flashed it.  :confused:

Thanks!

I just posted this on reddit.  Top comment: "I really want a compact keyboard, but I also want to do away with the space-saving benefits of having a compact keyboard."

lol

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #3088 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 13:36:08 »

Show Image

Show Image

Your close up picture looks like my board does.  I don't see transistors/resistors on those pads...  Which is weird.   I've got it in a fairly functioning state, so I imagine this is by design. 

Unfortunately, I can't get the damn thing to load into bootload mode after I initially flashed the controller.  Does anyone know which pads to use to throw this into bootload mode?

There were some talks about the ICSP01 pads being shorted to force into bootloader.  Anyone have any success with that?

Hi All!

Quick update: I was able to get the EXENT accessible in the bootmapper client.  Oddly enough, the bootmapper client would not recognize the HID device until I docked my laptop and connected to the dock rather than directly to the laptop.

If anyone needs help going forward, I'm happy to.  I'll check back periodically.  Or PM me!  :thumb:

Thanks,

MaNiFeX

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #3089 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 12:37:47 »
NE tracking avail?
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #3090 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 18:30:02 »
 :eek: that looks good my dude!
My build at work:

Show Image

Forgot to check in on this thread and say my premium kit showed up as well (no tracking, just happy surprise), everything except for stabs included. Pretty sure I already ordered some screw-in stabs anyway, if not they're going on the list. As far as I can tell from my 60 second check over, everything is kosher, hopefully the PCB works. In any case, YUUUUUUGE thank you to yuktsi for getting this thing in my hands.

Anyone heard from the actual GB runner since January?
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline six_chains

• Looking for fashion bae.
    • Visual Art
« Reply #3091 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 22:59:54 »
longshot but, anyone want to trade my perfect polycarb bottom for an ALU one?
not sure if there will be any extras for sale.

Model M JIS Silver Label  --  Exent  -- Apple IIs ALPS -- Poker II Granite R1

Offline kennyk64

« Reply #3092 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 02:15:26 »
Anyone interested in a premium kit (grey)? I have paid $355 and willing to let go at $300.
Poker II  Shine II  Realforce 87u

Offline tom88jerry

« Reply #3093 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 03:25:02 »
Anyone interested in a premium kit (grey)? I have paid $355 and willing to let go at $300.

Pm'd

Offline yonghf

« Reply #3094 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 04:19:17 »

PM'ing

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #3095 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 07:36:35 »
I haven’t really been keeping up with this thread but I’m going to assume there’s been no word on replacements for cracked bottoms?

Offline mrsalogo

« Reply #3096 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:04:13 »
If any one has a sliver kit that they are wanting to sell please let me know. I want one of these beautiful keyboards real bad...

Offline monkeyplusplus

« Reply #3097 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 14:42:43 »
Hey friends, I just posted a separate thread for the ortho PCB and plate, now that most of us have received our Exents!

Please head over and comment if you'd like to be included in the discussion :)

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96487.0

Offline Helldrop

« Reply #3098 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 15:00:04 »
I haven’t really been keeping up with this thread but I’m going to assume there’s been no word on replacements for cracked bottoms?

I sent them PM several times, but didn’t get any answers at all.
It seems that getting the replacement is impossible.

« Reply #3099 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 15:09:19 »

No word yet. Shipping has also not concluded.