Author Topic: [IC] XDA 8Bit - a Dyesub PBT Keyset  (Read 46201 times)

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
Re: [IC] XDA 8Bit - a Dyesub PBT Keyset
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 12:23:49 »
I see a 1.25 🅐, but no 1.25 🅑. I think these would make a good pair of winkeys, if only there were a 1.25 🅑^-^

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 14:13:50 »
I should mention that there are cheat codes on the site one of which leads to entry for a giveaway :D

Are you logging all the passcode attempts? I'm curious what the top tried passcodes are.

No I should have, maybe I'll add it tonight

Has anyone gotten the cheat code?  I've snooped around and found a modal with the passcode and submit button, but I don't know how to trigger it :(

only one person has made it through so far

Only one person made it through the popup?

Yes

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 16:18:02 »

Yes

Damn. Well it's certainly a tough task to blindly guess a word/phrase/group of random characters so kudos to the one person who pulled it off.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 16:29:54 »
all i know is it's not "boobs" or "bewbs"  I gave up after that...

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 17:09:32 »

Yes

Damn. Well it's certainly a tough task to blindly guess a word/phrase/group of random characters so kudos to the one person who pulled it off.

You shouldn't need to blindly guess ;)

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 17:15:04 »

Yes

That's what I thought, but it feels like a Colossal task to figure this out. I'm sure I've just taken a wrong turn and am fixated on the wrong part of the puzzle.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 18:13:03 »

Yes

That's what I thought, but it feels like a Colossal task to figure this out. I'm sure I've just taken a wrong turn and am fixated on the wrong part of the puzzle.

Take a look at what you KNOW and go from there :) assume nothing

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #157 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 18:36:01 »
I see a 1.25 🅐, but no 1.25 🅑. I think these would make a good pair of winkeys, if only there were a 1.25 🅑^-^

great point.  Yes, I would certainly like to use both an A and a B in 1.25 size.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 19:28:36 »
Still racking my brain to figure this one out.  I did notice that the word "traveller" is misspelled.  Unless that is part of the riddle...

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 19:52:24 »
Does the site work with Firefox?  Does Flash have to be enabled?

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 20:41:36 »
Still racking my brain to figure this one out.  I did notice that the word "traveller" is misspelled.  Unless that is part of the riddle...

Pretty sure you can spell it with 1 or 2 L's. (US vs UK)

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 20:45:07 »
Does the site work with Firefox?  Does Flash have to be enabled?

It should work with any browser. Flash is not needed. It's all javascript and server side

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 20:45:39 »

Pretty sure you can spell it with 1 or 2 L's. (US vs UK)

That's is correct

Offline Buggot

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 08:16:34 »
I've tried everything (or almost everything, believe me). I can't get it for the life of me haha. I guess there's no way to "snoop" it out as of yet with not as much experience as I need. Any hints? :P

Offline Data

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 08:38:43 »
I assume you guys have looked at the page source already.  That's not cheating, right?   :p

I'm not really playing the game.  It's a really cool promo site though.   :thumb:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 09:19:03 »
I assume you guys have looked at the page source already.  That's not cheating, right?   :p

I'm not really playing the game.  It's a really cool promo site though.   :thumb:

Yeah, he's doing everything server side, so there's no way to cheat it.  I edited the css to show the second modal for when you get it right, but it had no content except an input field and a submit button.

Evan, did you see our comments about the novelty keys?  Is there a reason why you didn't include a "B" button in 1.25u size?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 09:39:49 »

Yeah, he's doing everything server side, so there's no way to cheat it.  I edited the css to show the second modal for when you get it right, but it had no content except an input field and a submit button.

Evan, did you see our comments about the novelty keys?  Is there a reason why you didn't include a "B" button in 1.25u size?

I originally added them as MiniVan fn key replacements. I'll add a "B" in 1.25

EDIT: also the keycode to open the modal is a hint to what goes in the text box ;)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 09:41:12 »

EDIT: also the keycode to open the modal is a hint to what goes in the text box ;)

awesome!

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 14:05:51 »

So far all I've been is Rick Rolled. Well played sir, well played.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 14:54:22 »

haha nice.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #170 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 15:04:19 »

haha nice.

I think that the lack of context is making the challenge easy to overthink. Finding a set of keys is one thing, but taking those keys and using them as a "hint" to another code is a monstrous task. I'm wondering if having in-depth knowledge about the keypresses is actually a disadvantage here because it's easy to drift off course and related it to things that may not have been considered when setting up this challenge.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 15:10:07 »

haha nice.

I think that the lack of context is making the challenge easy to overthink. Finding a set of keys is one thing, but taking those keys and using them as a "hint" to another code is a monstrous task. I'm wondering if having in-depth knowledge about the keypresses is actually a disadvantage here because it's easy to drift off course and related it to things that may not have been considered when setting up this challenge.

IDK man, I think I'm just typing "boobs" in wrong.  Is it case sensitive?

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 16:49:52 »

haha nice.

Did you try the lesser used spelling of "bewbs"?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 16:52:33 »

haha nice.

Did you try the lesser used spelling of "bewbs"?

I DID! NO WORKIE

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #174 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 18:00:52 »

haha nice.

I wanted the challenge to be difficult as the last one was solved in 15 minutes, I do think that having some knowledge about the code is throwing some people in the wrong direction but that's half the fun

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 18:22:34 »

haha nice.

I wanted the challenge to be difficult as the last one was solved in 15 minutes, I do think that having some knowledge about the code is throwing some people in the wrong direction but that's half the fun

You're a monster. I can't imagine how many people are banging their heads over this.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 18:58:23 »

haha nice.

You're a monster. I can't imagine how many people are banging their heads over this.

6 people have solved it

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 19:21:38 »
Question unrelated to the riddle - any word on when the set'll be made available? I'm assuming it hasn't launched yet but with all this password talk I might just be too stupid to figure out how to access the buy page haha
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 September 2017, 19:36:05 by Vigrith »

Offline Buggot

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 19:39:36 »
Sorry. Can I ask about something to clear up? Are there TWO parts to this challenge? Like once you get past the first part, you have to use the first part to enter something for the next part? Please noooo LOL

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 20:53:31 »
Sorry. Can I ask about something to clear up? Are there TWO parts to this challenge? Like once you get past the first part, you have to use the first part to enter something for the next part? Please noooo LOL

Yes.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 21:26:27 »
Question unrelated to the riddle - any word on when the set'll be made available? I'm assuming it hasn't launched yet but with all this password talk I might just be too stupid to figure out how to access the buy page haha

It's launching in October towards the end of the month. Press "v" on the web page and it will give more details along with an email list sign up at the bottom

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 21:56:24 »
It's launching in October towards the end of the month. Press "v" on the web page and it will give more details along with an email list sign up at the bottom

Oh that's good, gives me a bit of a breather since 9009 and Laser should release around the start of Oct. I managed to get past that part at least LOL and signed up for the mailing list - I just hadn't noticed whether or not you'd provided an ETA for launch yet, my bad.

Thanks!

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 23:03:40 »
Had to disable Vimium in order to get the first step of the puzzle to start  :p
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline PastelSkies

« Reply #183 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 22:14:44 »

haha nice.

6 people have solved it

Is there another part after this one? if not can you give a hint? I would be one of those people banging their head

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 12:40:19 »
I also got rickrolled.

Offline wenruo

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 23:23:11 »
Hi :)

Offline ajaxsoap

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 23:58:22 »
When will the GB start? I'm excited for this keyset!

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 13:44:41 »

10-31-17!!

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 15:04:16 »
~
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2024, 18:45:52 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 15:37:21 »

10-31-17!!

Good to hear. I guess I'll get Canvas and will check if XDA is my thing.
BTW what's with that riddle?

which riddle are you referencing?

Offline ajaxsoap

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 00:06:13 »

10-31-17!!

10-31-17!!

The riddle is related to the website pop-up. https://8bit.thevankeyboards.com/ - just hit "v" key.

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 01:20:04 »
~
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2024, 18:46:01 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #192 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 07:48:15 »

which riddle are you referencing?
The one that gets you rickrolled.

I'm out of cultural context of consoles, but interested what's the deal here nonetheless.

Will it be revealed after GB start?

That's a red herring.  There's apparently another one there.

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 10:21:34 »

10-31-17!!

Damn! I'm gonna spend so much money at the end of this month! (iPhone X, 8bit, galaxy class, probably something else I've forgotten) I'm so sorry wallet, you don't deserve this punishment!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 09:40:21 »
I noticed the 8-bit sets are available for pre-order today.  It's not super easy to figure out what kits you need (or what is in them) on the order page. 

Might I suggest one or all of the following:

putting the images in the same order as the descriptions below them (and dropdown selector)
making an option to enlarge the images of the product
putting a label on each kit image to clarify what we are seeing (I think this would be the easiest and most effective.)

Looks like I'm going to have to spend a lot to get these sweet caps, but I'm down with that.

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 11:03:27 »
~
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2024, 18:46:14 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline ajaxsoap

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 13:20:33 »
You can see the details and layout here: https://8bit.thevankeyboards.com/

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 14:12:20 »
Yeah, and adding layout with keycaps sizes would be a plus too.

I noticed the 8-bit sets are available for pre-order today.  It's not super easy to figure out what kits you need (or what is in them) on the order page. 

Might I suggest one or all of the following:

putting the images in the same order as the descriptions below them (and dropdown selector)
making an option to enlarge the images of the product
putting a label on each kit image to clarify what we are seeing (I think this would be the easiest and most effective.)

Looks like I'm going to have to spend a lot to get these sweet caps, but I'm down with that.

I have added images to each kit section showing the kit as well as key sizes. they can also be clicked to reveal a much higher resolution version! thanks for the feedback and support. I am excited to get these caps made.

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 19:27:07 »
I dont get it, this thing is so ugly. Why are the letters so large? This a old people thing?
Do i need extreme myopia to appreciate this?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #199 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 19:47:36 »
I dont get it, this thing is so ugly. Why are the letters so large? This a old people thing?
Do i need extreme myopia to appreciate this?

Lol you created an account just to comment on this, I’m flattered