Author Topic: AWWW YEAH!!!!  (Read 2537 times)

Offline lectricleopard

• Busy coding Hardware...
AWWW YEAH!!!!
« on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 11:38:14 »
Hello fellow keyboard enthusiasts!

I've always hated modern keyboards.  I grew up in the 90's using buckling springs and loved the feeling of those, and I've lamented that big box stores only had low travel rubber domes boards.  I didn't know there were still mechanical keyboards being made.

This past spring I heard WASD keyboards mentioned on a podcast.   It was a rabbit hole I never knew existed.  I am now the proud owner of a Banana Split 60 with gatistotles, a white Gherkin with gateron reds, and my daily at work is a Votex Race 3 with cherry clears.

And now I'm feeling I need a 40%, but I also want it a certain way...

So I've fired up KiCad and FreeCAD (I'm an electrical and computer engineer by training), and I've been hammering out a design, and pricing CNC work.
π
Glad for the company down in this rabbit hole.  I'll be sharing pics along the way for sure  ;)

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Re: AWWW YEAH!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 10:47:25 »
Wow, talk about diving in all the way!  Sounds like you got serious in a hurry.

How's that Banana Split working out for you?  I've wanted a split space bar for a long time (all keyboards should have them!), but I'm wary of the extra key right in the middle of it.  Who ordered that?  But maybe I could get used to it; maybe it would even be convenient?  I think a Banana Split is likely to be my first build.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 11:26:17 »
Woah, slow down!* It's awesome to hear how quickly you found yourself in a heap of keyboards, you'll do well around here! What kind of keyboard are you designing?

*do not slow down, you magnificent person.  :thumb:

Offline lectricleopard

• Busy coding Hardware...
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 12:13:26 »
Wow, talk about diving in all the way!  Sounds like you got serious in a hurry.

How's that Banana Split working out for you?  I've wanted a split space bar for a long time (all keyboards should have them!), but I'm wary of the extra key right in the middle of it.  Who ordered that?  But maybe I could get used to it; maybe it would even be convenient?  I think a Banana Split is likely to be my first build.

I love the split space.  Left key is backspace, right key is space, and center key is a function key that give me vim arrows on hjkl when held, or esc when tapped (for vim).  Its super convenient to have a function key, backspace and space under your thumbs in a natural position.  I'm actually under utilizing the middle key, which is the motivation for my design...

Woah, slow down!* It's awesome to hear how quickly you found yourself in a heap of keyboards, you'll do well around here! What kind of keyboard are you designing?

40% all stainless steel case and plate, banana split style split space, dedicated arrows  ;)  I want it all baby! And it looks like its possible, quotes on the case are reasonable with a relatively small MOQ.