Author Topic: I strangely like Shiny GMK  (Read 5793 times)

Offline typo

I strangely like Shiny GMK
« on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 14:00:56 »
I of course never liked shiny abs on $10 keyboards. It was all I knew from years ago. Good DS sets are a different story IMO. I always went with PBT/POM to avoid them getting shiny. On quality caps shiny feels very nice indeed. Many of you already know this luxury but it was new to me. I finally used them long enough. Some of course just hate it no matter what and must have pbt. I am pretty flexible and this is a fine feeling in it's own right. They do not feel like cheap caps even when shiny. Instead they take on a character of their own. Like a good worn walled or gloves. I was pleasantly surprised that shiny caps can in fact be very nice. Just not on some junk pad printed keys. Plus the light bleed and not through the legend is my preference now as well. Using RealForce RGB with the GMK caps I put on it. Some blue, white and red. Also my feeling is I prefer the RGB to the 104UB. So worked out good for now. This has been my daily driver for nearly a year. It is vastly different than the Deck's with clears I previously fancied. Now I have six of them in storage. The Topre I bet outlasts all six of the Deck's and that will not be very long lol. Anyways with the caps it makes for a very nice board IMO.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: I strangely like Shiny GMK
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 14:04:17 »
That's not strange. Everyone likes shiny Cherry/GMK keys...right?!?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 14:12:36 »
You aren't alone. In fact, i've been trying to find a good method to shine my caps more, so I can try to get a uniformly shiny set.

188827-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 19:49:17 »
Many people do.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88337.0

I don't mind if the shine is consistent across the board.  But a few shiny patches here and there disturbs me.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noSatellite

• perpetual n00b
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 20:14:32 »
Not gonna lie - I kinda dig that there are different levels of shininess across the keysets. I haven’t had a chance to use GMK yet, how long does it take to get the shine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What I lack in time, resources, and knowledge I make up for in passion, enthusiasm and ignorance.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 20:22:52 »
shiny GMK is best GMK

i love it
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Deefenestrate

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 08:40:22 »
Not gonna lie - I kinda dig that there are different levels of shininess across the keysets. I haven’t had a chance to use GMK yet, how long does it take to get the shine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 months of heavy typing.

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 05:17:33 »
Guy's if you want to accelerate a completely uniformly shiny set. Very carefully use a product called Scratch out. Apply it to a Chamois. and use it sparingly with light to moderate pressure. You need to be careful because the dust it produces will get inside your board. Just use like .5cc per key and do one key at a time. It should take about 3 hours to do. If you want that then it is worth it. Only use this on DS keys. Never on pad or laser! As it will remove the fonts. You can just search for a bottle on Google or most large auto parts chains have it. You must use the Chamois or you will badly scratch the keys. Oh, only use it in a circular motion. Might be best to just remove the caps.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 07:24:31 »
Guy's if you want to accelerate a completely uniformly shiny set. Very carefully use a product called Scratch out. Apply it to a Chamois. and use it sparingly with light to moderate pressure. You need to be careful because the dust it produces will get inside your board. Just use like .5cc per key and do one key at a time. It should take about 3 hours to do. If you want that then it is worth it. Only use this on DS keys. Never on pad or laser! As it will remove the fonts. You can just search for a bottle on Google or most large auto parts chains have it. You must use the Chamois or you will badly scratch the keys. Oh, only use it in a circular motion. Might be best to just remove the caps.

Have you done this in the past? If so do you have pics?

Offline typo

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 02:10:23 »
No pics sorry. I am not sure where that board is right now. Trust me though, that stuff will indeed make any soft plastic to have a very smooth "mirror" like finish. Have often used to polish plexi glass. Just used it to blend in/remove a scratch on a very shiny black piece on a very high end automobile. You can try one key and see if you like it. It certainly is not going to ruin it. It is barely abrasive. Like a very light duty polish. So much in fact that it will rarely remove a scratch from automotive paint per it's namesake may suggest. I do recommend to remove the keys to do this. It creates a lot of dust that is going to get into your board. Or easier yet just leave them on, then vacuum the board with a horsehair brush attachment. you can even make the case shiny but that takes a lot of elbow grease. I am telling you this is just abrasive enough to polish smooth soft plastic to a very smooth finish. Not good for much else but at least I found a use for it.