Author Topic: Wiring keyboard matrix  (Read 2355 times)

Offline DonnyD

Wiring keyboard matrix
« on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 11:09:52 »
Lets say I wired all columns and rows correctly. But then I need to wire it to the controller (teensy). Smart thing to do is run continuous (column) wire top_row-bottom_row-teensy. But in that case all wires shares one channel, below bottom row. What if I wire column top_row-bottom_row, and bottom_row-teensy start from other place, like between row 2-3; Maybe seeing picture will be more clearly.
Photo explanation:
Red line - what i had in mind saying smart way, just continous wire, no cuts/extra work
Green line - how i want it to be, to avoid all whires in one place etc.
Its basic electronic thing, but i finished scool few years ago, things disappear. Same thing with rows.

Offline JianYang

Re: Wiring keyboard matrix
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 12:25:26 »
I'm not certain you actually asked a question.

But I will answer what I think you want to know:
The teensy will not mind where you connect the wires - in fact, it will not even know  ;)

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 13:24:01 »
I think you need to re-think your matrix. The most straightforward wiring would be 4 row wires and 12 column wires.
REΛLFORCE

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 13:35:59 »
Assuming you have wired the rows and columns correctly (unlike in your picture the diodes should run across the board otherwise each column is four switches which will register at the same time) it doesn't matter where you connect the teensy to the columns.  On the rows you need to connect after the diodes (the same place you connect the diodes to each other) but again you can connect anywhere across the board.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline DonnyD

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 14:09:04 »
Thanks for all of your replies. This picture is just example, i will be using various guides\build logs of other people, to make sure it works :D

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 16:25:29 »
I'm also not sure what the question is but in your picture you have 24 lines (hope i counted that right), but thats way to much for a teensy or a pro micro. Just have a look at "A modern handwiring guide - stronger, cleaner, easier", also helped me a lot.
(btw. I'll also make a video on the topic next week [here])