Author Topic: Capcraft Hub - Updates & Tom Foolery Herein  (Read 1145947 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Capcraft Hub - Updates & Tom Foolery Herein
« Reply #2200 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 10:39:21 »
At least I have a wife approved reason to buy precision screwdrivers and a nice pair of tweezers for soldering in the future :o

Is that so you can melt my poor keycaps? :(
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2201 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 11:07:48 »
At least I have a wife approved reason to buy precision screwdrivers and a nice pair of tweezers for soldering in the future :o

I think he's going for a Salvador Dali type effect.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline drewba

« Reply #2202 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 11:17:00 »
What about a cyan/purple Keythulu to go with Hyperfuse?

Look at the bottom right Keythulhu.  I will be making Hyperfuse opaque dual colors soon(tm).
You're the man now, dog!

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2203 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 11:44:54 »

I plan to keep your keycaps out of the line of fire when I try and build a keyboard, but it will be my first time.. I can't promise not to burn my house down :o

Offline KaboomTheory

• Shrek is love, Shrek is life
« Reply #2204 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 12:03:08 »
So after reading many many pages of this thread and keeping up somewhat, I have one question to ask. You get multicolored designs by pouring the 1st, letting it cure, then the 2nd and so on in that fashion?

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2205 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 12:17:18 »
He does it in a similar process to that of converting lead into gold.. only better

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2206 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 12:28:07 »
So after reading many many pages of this thread and keeping up somewhat, I have one question to ask. You get multicolored designs by pouring the 1st, letting it cure, then the 2nd and so on in that fashion?

Yeah something like that, you let the first pour set up a bit then add the second. Getting clean double shot caps is magic.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2207 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 12:37:03 »

It's all about timing if you want to layer.  The plastic fully cured does not like to bond with fresh liquid plastic, so there's a precise time for each resin where it's good to bond with the newly mixed resin.  Taking advantage of the phases of curing allows me to get some neat effects.

Another interesting thing is that sometimes the resin "stays put" better than other times.  So if I fill in various parts of a mold I am not guaranteed it won't flow somewhere else. Gravity, surface tension, and specific gravity play heavy roles in what people are able to accomplish.

Whenever people ask this I feel as though they're just trying to understand the process better, and others ask for far less benevolent reasons.  No, it's not double shot injection molding, but this process doesn't use thermoplasts which have different challenges to overcome in the molding process.

If you intend to work with any media you must be willing to take the time to become familiar with it.  I've felt much more connected with the behavior of the plastics since I've started to use different resins.  This is something I wouldn't be able to do if I hadn't chosen to experiment.  Some artists may say "it doesn't matter what brand of paint I use as long as the color is right," and other artists say, "I mix my own colors because brand A only gets 3 out of 50 colors as vibrant."  Just more examples of how subjective approach is to creating.

Answering your question is my first concern, so if you feel as though any of these words are wasted please disregard them.  One thing that I can not stress enough is how subjective the creative process can be: even more so than the viewing experience.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2208 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 13:16:17 »
Binge 2016!

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2209 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 13:41:52 »

It's all about timing if you want to layer.  The plastic fully cured does not like to bond with fresh liquid plastic, so there's a precise time for each resin where it's good to bond with the newly mixed resin.  Taking advantage of the phases of curing allows me to get some neat effects.

Another interesting thing is that sometimes the resin "stays put" better than other times.  So if I fill in various parts of a mold I am not guaranteed it won't flow somewhere else. Gravity, surface tension, and specific gravity play heavy roles in what people are able to accomplish.

Whenever people ask this I feel as though they're just trying to understand the process better, and others ask for far less benevolent reasons.  No, it's not double shot injection molding, but this process doesn't use thermoplasts which have different challenges to overcome in the molding process.

If you intend to work with any media you must be willing to take the time to become familiar with it.  I've felt much more connected with the behavior of the plastics since I've started to use different resins.  This is something I wouldn't be able to do if I hadn't chosen to experiment.  Some artists may say "it doesn't matter what brand of paint I use as long as the color is right," and other artists say, "I mix my own colors because brand A only gets 3 out of 50 colors as vibrant."  Just more examples of how subjective approach is to creating.

Answering your question is my first concern, so if you feel as though any of these words are wasted please disregard them.  One thing that I can not stress enough is how subjective the creative process can be: even more so than the viewing experience.
now I don't own any of your caps so this is purely from a visual standpoint but this is one of the reasons I REALLY like your work and art. You can see your experimentation and even when things don't work out how you want them they are all very unique and it adds a quirkiness to your caps that I haven't seen replicated. In other words keep letting your freak flag fly lol it works awesome for you.
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline KaboomTheory

• Shrek is love, Shrek is life
« Reply #2210 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 14:01:31 »

Thank you for the well thought out answer. I really wanted to understand the process a bit from a theoretical point of view before I decided to dabble in this sort of stuff, and I love it when people go in depth with what they do. Although, in the end the only way I'll find out a good method is through trial and error of course! Once I get all my materials I'll start casting to see how I do without any special equipment.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2211 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 14:08:33 »
My next diabolical plan is to somehow get my wife in to making keycaps instead of knitting and crocheting

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2212 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 14:19:51 »
Thank you for the well thought out answer. I really wanted to understand the process a bit from a theoretical point of view before I decided to dabble in this sort of stuff, and I love it when people go in depth with what they do. Although, in the end the only way I'll find out a good method is through trial and error of course! Once I get all my materials I'll start casting to see how I do without any special equipment.

This entire process is not very friendly to variables, but that goes as far as the casting.  Once you know how to cast... then the doors start opening up.  Do colorless first to get an idea of what can be achieved as a baseline, and then expand.  You'll see all of the bad and good you can achieve with the tools you have and then think about what you'll need to refine the process.  As you can tell after a year of inconsistent experience I have still a lot to experiment with, and I wouldn't say it's trial and error so much as refining technique and knowing where you can fail.  To elaborate... because I started mixing colors right off the bat I never saw that a particular concentration of colorant created problems in my early casts.  It never occurred to me to eliminate the margin of error by reducing the additives in my mixture.  After learning how the chemicals should react I was able to push the limits.  This limit changes from batch to batch and manufacturer to manufacturer.

So that's about all I'll say further on the subject.  Please only contact me again on the subject once you have tried and hit some walls you can't overcome alone.

My next diabolical plan is to somehow get my wife in to making keycaps instead of knitting and crocheting

You don't want the chemical rashes that can and most likely will happen from exposure :(

Keep her knitting!  The cost to make finished pieces is much much much lower.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2015, 14:22:30 by Binge »

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2213 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 14:26:42 »

This entire process is not very friendly to variables, but that goes as far as the casting.  Once you know how to cast... then the doors start opening up.  Do colorless first to get an idea of what can be achieved as a baseline, and then expand.  You'll see all of the bad and good you can achieve with the tools you have and then think about what you'll need to refine the process.  As you can tell after a year of inconsistent experience I have still a lot to experiment with, and I wouldn't say it's trial and error so much as refining technique and knowing where you can fail.  To elaborate... because I started mixing colors right off the bat I never saw that a particular concentration of colorant created problems in my early casts.  It never occurred to me to eliminate the margin of error by reducing the additives in my mixture.  After learning how the chemicals should react I was able to push the limits.  This limit changes from batch to batch and manufacturer to manufacturer.

So that's about all I'll say further on the subject.  Please only contact me again on the subject once you have tried and hit some walls you can't overcome alone.

You don't want the chemical rashes that can and most likely will happen from exposure :(

Keep her knitting!  The cost to make finished pieces is much much much lower.

Knitting does me no good, she won't even knit me a pair of socks because making socks is boring.. its like I'm asking her to make some blank keycaps or something :O

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2214 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 14:28:40 »
But yeah.. couldn't really make keycaps here, unless I kicked my mom out of our house, lol.  No room we could set up chemicals and equipment in that our 6 year old son or two cats wouldn't get in to aside from the extra bedroom we let her have

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2215 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 14:32:02 »
Hmmmmmm.. I might be able to use that as a 'pro' in my argument for why Amy should start getting into casting keycaps tho :o

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #2216 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 14:32:31 »
Obviously she needs to knit you a keyboard cozy/case. 

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2217 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 14:40:29 »

+1 4 keyboard sock w/flap & hipster oversized button.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #2218 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 14:53:22 »

Don't knock it until you see it:

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2219 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 14:55:49 »

Show Image

Hmm.. this is a good idea :o

Time to go look at the Japanese Noro self striping yarn

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2220 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 15:06:44 »

Show Image

:-/ who's knocking whut?  I love knit stuff.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #2221 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 20:51:40 »

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #2222 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 21:04:17 »
Photo updates for ya'll,

Show Image

need that keyng to finsih my F1-4 row of lions

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #2223 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 12:05:03 »
I'm super excited for the sale, it's a long time since I last bought a keycap.

I hope I get a hold of one of those orcs.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2224 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 12:18:17 »

I was able to get an SSK thru elecplus/Cindy, it was everything I expected and more. I made an un-boxing gif so I guess I was pretty excited. I have to get this thing bolt modded and a little tuned up, but overall it was in excellent condition after getting cleaned up.

Show Image

One picture after I got it all cleaned up.
Show Image

I have an SSK and I want yours more than mine just because of that .gif. Definitely get it bolt modded though 'cause you can adjust how it feels :D. Congrats!!

I know may is too far away  :( I really want some of his keys/art . I'm really going to try and create a couple super enlarged prints of the orc and Lyon keyng with binges blessing granted I can get a good sample I can work with and as soon as I get my computer up and running im sick of using my phone and tablet.
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2225 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 12:27:48 »

I was able to get an SSK thru elecplus/Cindy, it was everything I expected and more. I made an un-boxing gif so I guess I was pretty excited. I have to get this thing bolt modded and a little tuned up, but overall it was in excellent condition after getting cleaned up.

Show Image

Show Image

I have an SSK and I want yours more than mine just because of that .gif. Definitely get it bolt modded though 'cause you can adjust how it feels :D. Congrats!!

I know may is too far away  :( I really want some of his keys/art . I'm really going to try and create a couple super enlarged prints of the orc and Lyon keyng with binges blessing granted I can get a good sample I can work with and as soon as I get my computer up and running im sick of using my phone and tablet.

Yeah, may is pretty far, but for me it's creeping up fast.  I have less than 1 month to make the molds I need for space-bear.

I know, Sunday is gonna be intense!

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2226 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 12:39:48 »

Show Image

Show Image

Yeah, may is pretty far, but for me it's creeping up fast.  I have less than 1 month to make the molds I need for space-bear.

I just found out you can see a lot of your older sales keys and color ways on your site binge. I saw my first space bear the other day . I was really excited to find that out lol I guess I'm easily amused. Anyways I saw the keyng and orcs you posted the other day and how detailed they are and thought they would look amazing blown up  and framed! Anyways space bear sounds amazing and really looking forward to seeing what craziness you pump out. Thanks for a the updates and great pics.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2227 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 12:54:24 »
Space Bear  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2228 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 13:39:35 »
I just found out you can see a lot of your older sales keys and color ways on your site binge. I saw my first space bear the other day . I was really excited to find that out lol I guess I'm easily amused. Anyways I saw the keyng and orcs you posted the other day and how detailed they are and thought they would look amazing blown up  and framed! Anyways space bear sounds amazing and really looking forward to seeing what craziness you pump out. Thanks for a the updates and great pics.

If we're gonna be discussing prints then I should say some things are in the works.

Also... spacebear has never been released, but there are pics floating around in this thread.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 March 2015, 13:43:34 by Binge »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #2229 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 13:43:19 »

Did I miss something? Does this mean there's going to be a cap sale on Sunday?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2230 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 13:43:59 »

e-mails were sent out

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2231 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 13:47:27 »

Sunday!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #2232 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 13:50:34 »

e-mails were sent out

Sorry, new here. Didn't know there was a mailing list. Subscribed now.

Can anyone forward it to me? PM please.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2233 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 14:00:29 »

e-mails were sent out
*Checks e-mail*

Sale time is EU timezone friendly!  If there's anything non Deep Space themed I'll be trying for it :D
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2234 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 14:04:47 »
my sig is relevant

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2235 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 14:05:21 »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2236 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 14:07:04 »
Damn guys, now everyone will know when it is :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2237 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 14:17:32 »
Good ol' Gator hosted sale... This should be fun.  :confused:

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2238 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 14:27:13 »

Now you've made me confused... what?

::EDIT:: OH! You are thinking Hostgator is still my host.  Nope that ended May-Jul timeframe of 2014.  I've been with my current host ever since and it's handled the volume just fine.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #2239 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 14:29:49 »
Would anyone care to enlighten us noobs (maybe just me) as to how these sales work?

My boards:
More

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2240 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 14:31:38 »
Would anyone care to enlighten us noobs (maybe just me) as to how these sales work?

This'll look like a basic store.  You select your item, add it to cart, and checkout.

It's always better to be logged into your account with your shipping info pre-loaded to the account prior to the sale.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2241 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 14:49:52 »

Now you've made me confused... what?

::EDIT:: OH! You are thinking Hostgator is still my host.  Nope that ended May-Jul timeframe of 2014.  I've been with my current host ever since and it's handled the volume just fine.
I didn't realize you swapped, I was actually looking forward to it. I was never able to experience one.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #2242 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 14:53:29 »

This'll look like a basic store.  You select your item, add it to cart, and checkout.

It's always better to be logged into your account with your shipping info pre-loaded to the account prior to the sale.

Life Pro Tip right here, folks.

My boards:
More

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2243 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 15:08:29 »
I have terrible luck with these things but I'm a good sport at the very least I get a hell of adrenaline rush for free. This time I'm going to take a xanax an hour before so I can actually operate a keyboard and mouse. Last time I was shaking so hard I barely could enter the sale.
Pro tip right here if key caps get you really excited benzodiazapenes are your friend when trying to enter a very  inclusive sale or event ! :thumb:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #2244 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 15:12:25 »
I just know some stupid PayPal Credit checkout screen popup offer is going to cost me my opportunity.

My boards:
More

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2245 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 15:15:17 »
There are going to be lots of offers for bingecaps and some additional items courtesy of my sister's lovely skillz.  I'm trying to make this as sizable as possible :)

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #2246 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 15:20:42 »
There are going to be lots of offers for bingecaps and some additional items courtesy of my sister's lovely skillz.  I'm trying to make this as sizable as possible :)
Will need to preemptively decide what I want

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2247 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 15:22:08 »
Sweet hopefully I can score one of those hungry cap stickers those are dope.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2248 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 15:33:29 »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #2249 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 15:46:49 »
Show Image

Sticker tips! This should be a standard shopping cart feature.

My boards:
More