Author Topic: Capcraft Hub - Updates & Tom Foolery Herein  (Read 1145949 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Capcraft Hub - Updates & Tom Foolery Herein
« Reply #2600 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 16:48:10 »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Alex92

« Reply #2601 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 16:52:47 »
Show Image

I love those colors!  :thumb:

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #2602 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 19:20:43 »
Show Image

Oooooohhh me likey. Triple shot??? and PURPLE!!!

Offline btctopre

« Reply #2603 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 19:24:03 »
I got my Clear Skies Lion Keyng v3 in and... wow. No offense to all the other cap makers, but this is easily the most gorgeous design I've had the pleasure of experiencing in person. The level of detail, the color, everything, it's just incredible. And I had been nervous all day that it wouldn't fit a Novatouch slider, but am happy to report that it most definitely does fit the slider, and around the housing (the bottom of the beard might hit the key beneath it when pressed, not sure yet, but **** that key if it does).

I'll try and post some pictures in the Binge thread later on, but just wanted to say thank you to Binge for making these wonderful caps, and thank you to techkeys for hosting such a smooth sale that allowed me to get one!

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2604 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 22:49:26 »
Maaaaaaan we just had a legit tornado warning, but I think that stuff probably hit a few farms aways away.  Power back on and in time to read these  :-* remarks :)

Show Image

Oooooohhh me likey. Triple shot??? and PURPLE!!!

PUUURRRRPPPLLLLEEEE!!!!!

I got my Clear Skies Lion Keyng v3 in and... wow. No offense to all the other cap makers, but this is easily the most gorgeous design I've had the pleasure of experiencing in person. The level of detail, the color, everything, it's just incredible. And I had been nervous all day that it wouldn't fit a Novatouch slider, but am happy to report that it most definitely does fit the slider, and around the housing (the bottom of the beard might hit the key beneath it when pressed, not sure yet, but **** that key if it does).

I'll try and post some pictures in the Binge thread later on, but just wanted to say thank you to Binge for making these wonderful caps, and thank you to techkeys for hosting such a smooth sale that allowed me to get one!

This is just awesome to hear.  I'm very critical of my own work, and often times I don't respect it at the end of the day because I know the flaws.

Getting something right, and getting it right enough are very different.  After my eyes hurt and I can't hold back any of my tremors I look at a lot of my drawings/sculptures and just wish that bump or cut or squiggle weren't there.  Part of why I like keycaps so much is that there are so many parts that can go wrong in the process, but when they go right... well you're feeling it man :)

The Lion Keyng V3's beard does touch keys in front of it :( I may be able to fix that in the future with clever polish work, but I have tested it a lot and it didn't push down any keys in front of it (tested on cherry keys and SA keys).

Please let me know if it causes you an issue.  I can file it down and polish it for the cost of shipping.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #2605 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 02:09:49 »
Show Image

Oh my god my brain just exploded from awesome.

So much awesome. :<
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2606 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 04:54:01 »

Ya that was the one I ordered. The clear skies keyng such a nice keyyyyyyyy ahhh. Please post some pics btc
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline btctopre

« Reply #2607 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 09:45:06 »
The Lion Keyng V3's beard does touch keys in front of it :( I may be able to fix that in the future with clever polish work, but I have tested it a lot and it didn't push down any keys in front of it (tested on cherry keys and SA keys).

Please let me know if it causes you an issue.  I can file it down and polish it for the cost of shipping.

All good man, used the cap last night and if you press the key on the top of his face, it doesn't rub at all, and if you press it using his nose then it just barely (BARELY) touches the bottom of the key beneath it when fully pressed on a Topre board. That slight rubbing is definitely not worth tarnishing this wonderful cap over.

Unfortunately my dilemma now is, and I can't believe I'm saying this, is do I need to try and build a keyset around the cap. I always thought I'd try to match artisans with my anniversary set, but this cap would probably pair better with a lighter set. Tough call, maybe I'll see how it looks with white alphas when I get home..

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2608 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 10:02:53 »

All good man, used the cap last night and if you press the key on the top of his face, it doesn't rub at all, and if you press it using his nose then it just barely (BARELY) touches the bottom of the key beneath it when fully pressed on a Topre board. That slight rubbing is definitely not worth tarnishing this wonderful cap over.

Unfortunately my dilemma now is, and I can't believe I'm saying this, is do I need to try and build a keyset around the cap. I always thought I'd try to match artisans with my anniversary set, but this cap would probably pair better with a lighter set. Tough call, maybe I'll see how it looks with white alphas when I get home..
i bet your wishing you hadn't sold that light blue set    :-[. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that cap. Oooohhhh that will go good with my light blue set.
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline drewba

« Reply #2609 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 15:55:40 »
Show Image

Oh my god my brain just exploded from awesome.

So much awesome. :<

RIP Nai_Calus. You were far too young!

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 15:57:57 by drewba »

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #2610 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 12:42:01 »
Binge, thank you for creating this inspirational and extremely helpful thread! I have taken the plunge and started casting keycaps and used materials recommended by you with great(ish) results. You have great suggestions, and the pics you post are great! Especially helpful for me are the silicone mold pics.

Now, I am ready to take the next step and I was wondering, in your opinion, what is more important piece of equipment, a Vacuum degassing chamber, or a Pressure Pot? I plan to get both eventually but I was wondering your opinion on which one helps the most with eliminating bubbles?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2611 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 18:35:56 »
Binge, thank you for creating this inspirational and extremely helpful thread! I have taken the plunge and started casting keycaps and used materials recommended by you with great(ish) results. You have great suggestions, and the pics you post are great! Especially helpful for me are the silicone mold pics.

Now, I am ready to take the next step and I was wondering, in your opinion, what is more important piece of equipment, a Vacuum degassing chamber, or a Pressure Pot? I plan to get both eventually but I was wondering your opinion on which one helps the most with eliminating bubbles?

Both are used for different purposes.  Casting under pressure reduces formation of extra gasses in the mold and vacuum degassing removes existing gasses from the mix.  Consider how each of those techniques align with your goals and choose what works for you.

I chose pressure first and it allowed me to get started.  If you still don't feel informed enough please do more research on why the machines are used in the process.  They target different problem areas in the process of resin casting.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 April 2015, 18:43:20 by Binge »

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #2612 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 10:30:25 »

Both are used for different purposes.  Casting under pressure reduces formation of extra gasses in the mold and vacuum degassing removes existing gasses from the mix.  Consider how each of those techniques align with your goals and choose what works for you.

I chose pressure first and it allowed me to get started.  If you still don't feel informed enough please do more research on why the machines are used in the process.  They target different problem areas in the process of resin casting.

Thanks, I think im going to go with the vacuum chamber first as I am not only casting keycaps but I have another project that I am doing in conjunction that requires very soft (45D) urethane in a larger mold that would benefit more from pre-pour degausing more then a pressure pot im thinking. The larger mold end result casts dont really matter if there are bubbles in it. That and the vacuum chambers are much more readily available.

As for pressure pots, I found a decent one on the artmolds website I think im going to get in a few months. What I really need is a hint as to where to get an air pump that does both vacuum and compress in one unit. Any hints?  :D

Also, and you don't have to answer this if you dont want. Are your current end-product keycaps both degaussed and pressurized?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2613 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 10:41:50 »

Thanks, I think im going to go with the vacuum chamber first as I am not only casting keycaps but I have another project that I am doing in conjunction that requires very soft (45D) urethane in a larger mold that would benefit more from pre-pour degausing more then a pressure pot im thinking. The larger mold end result casts dont really matter if there are bubbles in it. That and the vacuum chambers are much more readily available.

As for pressure pots, I found a decent one on the artmolds website I think im going to get in a few months. What I really need is a hint as to where to get an air pump that does both vacuum and compress in one unit. Any hints?  :D

Also, and you don't have to answer this if you dont want. Are your current end-product keycaps both degaussed and pressurized?

Beware the artmolds pressure chamber I would recommend what I always recommend, but  I think you should take this convo over to my 'Let's talk shop...' thread.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70967.0

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2614 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 12:37:53 »

that clear skies keyng goes awesome with the Textured bro fn(the colors look very close) To tell you the truth it even goes with he anniversary set although I can see why you would want something lighter I think it still looks good though :thumb:

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2615 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 12:14:22 »
Been awhile since I've posted any updates,

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2616 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 12:30:30 »

Show Image

are those the tungsten ones binge ? They look Sick.....  :p   And yes you must post updates to let us know your alive and haven't fallen prey to some sort of hobby related fatality. Or locked up some where unshowered with long hair and fingernails brewing up some crazy octoshot cap or being held hostage by your own transformer collection :))  anyways Nice Caps sire !
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2015, 12:58:16 by Sed8op8 »

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2617 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 13:17:01 »

Show Image

are those the tungsten ones binge ? They look Sick.....  :p   And yes you must post updates to let us know your alive and haven't fallen prey to some sort of hobby related fatality. Or locked up some where unshowered with long hair and fingernails brewing up some crazy octoshot cap or being held hostage by your own transformer collection :))  anyways Nice Caps sire !

Not tungsten.  These are a blast from the past!

The metal finish you're looking at is legit pre 1950s dental silver.  It's a silver alloy which was made to mix with mercury to form amalgam fillings.  Don't worry... there's no mercury in these.  It's not cheap :(

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2618 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 13:24:45 »

Show Image

Not tungsten.  These are a blast from the past!

The metal finish you're looking at is legit pre 1950s dental silver.  It's a silver alloy which was made to mix with mercury to form amalgam fillings.  Don't worry... there's no mercury in these.  It's not cheap :(
ya the reason I had to ask is they didn't look anything like well anything I had seen.  Tungsten was closest I guess. It looks almost like lead at first glance and the texture looks like what jabba encased Han Solo in lol.. That's awesome

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #2619 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 13:44:11 »

Show Image

I would love to get my hands on that V2!

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2620 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 13:55:06 »
Those are beauties!

Way to keep it R'lyeh

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2621 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 16:43:45 »
Just like the CuThulu of yesteryear - the ancient beastie looks better in aged looking metal than even the prettiest doubleshot :-X
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2622 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 17:54:53 »

Show Image

Holy crap those are badass!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #2623 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 22:16:14 »
Graphite! Very cool dude!  :cool:

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2624 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 16:31:29 »
Any update/cool things binge?

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2625 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 17:23:15 »
Keycon.. wish I could have gone!

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2626 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 19:08:51 »

Right now waiting on some parts to arrive before continuing to cast.  Need to raise financial security as well before buying more polymers :)

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2627 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 22:36:48 »

Right now waiting on some parts to arrive before continuing to cast.  Need to raise financial security as well before buying more polymers :)

Binge-sama

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2628 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 22:44:03 »

Binge-sama

Show Image

Show Image

love those Orc troopers ?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #2629 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 22:52:57 »

Binge-sama

Show Image

Show Image

Dat orange!! I wish I had some of his new stuff in Orange :0

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2630 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 23:14:52 »
It's actually a tanngold orc =)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2631 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 15:22:13 »

Binge-sama

Show Image

Show Image

That's a pretty sick Lion Keyng V3!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline btctopre

« Reply #2632 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 15:56:00 »
That's a pretty sick Lion Keyng V3!
Oh... that's a Keyng, whoops. Here I was thinking Binge had started working on some sort of a baboon keycap :P

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #2633 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 17:38:44 »
The world needs a baboon butt keycap.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2634 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 19:31:49 »

It would be fun to make that a distinguishable baboon behind.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #2635 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 19:43:05 »
Needs more Spacebear!!

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #2636 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 06:45:28 »

Keyster

BOOM

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline drewba

« Reply #2637 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 15:35:01 »

Keyster

BOOM

Dude...NICE
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2015, 15:38:05 by drewba »

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
Bingecap Capcraft Hub - Updates & Butt-jokes Herein Until Further Notice
« Reply #2638 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 17:38:41 »
Bingecap Capcraft Hub - Updates & Butt-jokes Herein Until Further Notice

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2639 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 17:50:55 »

Keyster

BOOM

Dude...NICE
Show Image

drewba tell your gif to stop giving me the stink eye  :eek: it taint right I tell ya!

@binge I was beginning to worry about O Bingey one !!! I saw pics of you at keycon, Supah sexy Nintendo sleeve you got started there! Love it

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2640 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 00:34:30 »
Black and gold cross my fingers... Black and gold....

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #2641 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 01:12:29 »

Looking forward to seeing caps!

Topre?

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2642 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 07:45:07 »

Topre?

Keep your dirty Topre!

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2643 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 08:44:33 »

Topre?

Not Topre.  I feel like such a negative nancy.

« Last Edit: Sun, 31 May 2015, 08:50:14 by Binge »

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #2644 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 09:54:00 »
Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #2645 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 10:43:45 »

Topre?

Show Image

You're not being a negative Nancy! These caps are beautiful! I'd kill for the pair of them! Great work as always Binge!

I was just hoping for Topre because I just picked up a set of boards and need to showcase your work!

Offline Peddamann

« Reply #2646 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 11:49:22 »
make em tripple shot with red inbetween and im completely sold :D :D :D

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #2647 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 11:57:48 »

Topre?

Show Image

:thumb: :thumb: love the gold fade. are they going to be for sale?

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2648 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 12:33:09 »

Topre?

Show Image

:thumb: :thumb: love the gold fade. are they going to be for sale?

It's a good assumption I'll be selling them :)

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2649 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 12:37:11 »
God I really love the tongue stoned looking KeyNGs