Author Topic: Anime Thread  (Read 384426 times)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
Re: Anime Thread
« Reply #500 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 21:45:27 »
Cowboy Bebop

First anime I ever bought on disc, still one of my all-time favorites.

Been watching Witchblade lately, and Eden of the East.  Haven't found a series I follow regularly since High School of the Dead.

Offline rurushu

« Reply #501 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 14:49:54 »
Cowboy Bebop

Been watching Witchblade lately, and Eden of the East.  Haven't found a series I follow regularly since High School of the Dead.
witchblade... the anime's character design + battle scenes are nice, and the story is abit pharked up, but overall is a good one.

Offline lanlav123

« Reply #502 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 15:31:42 »
I watched death node, black butler and full metal alchemist

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #503 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 16:01:40 »
Cowboy Bebop

LOL, how pissed were you when they did a remastered dvd release,

AND THEN later released a BLURAY set of the same stuff.

If I bought the orginal remaster box, I'd be so peeved.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #504 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 16:02:55 »
Cowboy Bebop

witchblade... the anime's character design + battle scenes are nice, and the story is abit pharked up, but overall is a good one.

Storyline has been played out for the past century... It's all down to presentation now... For example, all the marvel movies,  it's the same stories, only now they're awesome because of the good CGI..

Offline Zehkul

« Reply #505 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 16:54:36 »
Oh year god … Symphogear G is so ****ing AOTS :D

I haven’t seen many animes as … BAD as Symphogear. And I too haven’t seen many animes as entertaining as it. It’s so dumb, but at the same time so incredibly addictive. It’s one of the most entertaining anime I’ve ever watched, and I’ve watched a lot, lol.

Zetsuen no Tempest (Oh god, this has got to be one of the candidates for anime of the year 2013)

Nah, never. Not in the year of kill la kill. Or gatchaman crowds, uchouten kazoku, whatever your taste is.

Zetsuen no Tempest is actually 2012, by the way.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #506 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 09:18:51 »
Zetsuen no Tempest seemed to drop off about half way through, to me.  Until now, I've forgot that I haven't even finished it -- still have two episodes left, I think.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #507 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 13:01:19 »
I want to watch Uchouten Kazoku... Benten <3
I love Elzy

Offline HairyBob

• but my name isn't Robert
« Reply #508 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 16:43:14 »
I enjoyed blast of tempest very much, I'd finish those two episodes.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #509 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 19:06:19 »
WHiCH anime Blurays are worth getting.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #510 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 19:10:30 »
WHiCH anime Blurays are worth getting.

I know certain companies will take a lot of time and change the scenes in blu ray releases.  Shaft is known for doing this, thought sometimes it leads to some things being inconsistent (like clothing or a necklace).  The backgrounds end up looking much more detailed.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline rurushu

« Reply #511 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 15:17:51 »
Oh year god … Symphogear G is so ****ing AOTS :D

I haven’t seen many animes as … BAD as Symphogear. And I too haven’t seen many animes as entertaining as it. It’s so dumb, but at the same time so incredibly addictive. It’s one of the most entertaining anime I’ve ever watched, and I’ve watched a lot, lol.

Zetsuen no Tempest (Oh god, this has got to be one of the candidates for anime of the year 2013)

Nah, never. Not in the year of kill la kill. Or gatchaman crowds, uchouten kazoku, whatever your taste is.

Zetsuen no Tempest is actually 2012, by the way.

Well, It is one of the strong candidate for 2013, it did started at Oct of 2012, but it's second half ended in March 2013, so is still a legitimate candidate.
As for Kill la Kill, that is one of the anime that I strongly anticipated, especially since they're by GAINAX  :thumb: :thumb:

Zetsuen no Tempest seemed to drop off about half way through, to me.  Until now, I've forgot that I haven't even finished it -- still have two episodes left, I think.
LOL... I finish it in 2 days... the story is very addictive and if I drag the series, I doubt I will finish it....

Offline Zehkul

« Reply #512 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 17:39:12 »
Well, It is one of the strong candidate for 2013, it did started at Oct of 2012, but it's second half ended in March 2013, so is still a legitimate candidate.

Starting date is what matters, you pleb. :P

Still would be no strong candidate, not with that much Gatchaman, Uchouten or even Fate/Kaleid swag around. (Have you seen episode 6? Glorious!) My opinion. :P

Anyone else here having backed LWA2?

Offline rurushu

« Reply #513 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 07:48:00 »

Starting date is what matters, you pleb. :P

Still would be no strong candidate, not with that much Gatchaman, Uchouten or even Fate/Kaleid swag around. (Have you seen episode 6? Glorious!) My opinion. :P

Anyone else here having backed LWA2?

well, i did say that "in my opinion" right? Nvm, not going to argue with you over that issue...

well, not so sure about Gatchaman Crowds, the animation is kind of stiff, the character designs are unique though, i like that  :thumb:

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #514 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 03:21:25 »
Someone recommend me a sword art online style anime for this weekend... That's done and can be watched in  a 20 hour marathon by myself in my little room naked.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #515 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 03:57:51 »
Someone recommend me a sword art online style anime for this weekend... That's done and can be watched in  a 20 hour marathon by myself in my little room naked.

why naked? are you ultra fat, and can't properly dissipate heat. :))

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #516 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 04:06:31 »

why naked? are you ultra fat, and can't properly dissipate heat. :))

It's always 120*F :[. If I was fat I'd have sweat to keep me temperate but alas I lost that all during the middle school days.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #517 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 11:33:30 »
Hmm be more descriptive by SAO style...if you mean stuck in game there's not too many that are good.  If you want game where you have to play or die then there's Mirai Nikki and Btooom.  There's also accel world which I think is by the same writer(or something along those lines) and people speculate it may have a connection to SAO.  I thought it was alright, but for the majority of the anime I hated the MC.

Offline rurushu

« Reply #518 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 13:56:47 »
Hmm be more descriptive by SAO style...if you mean stuck in game there's not too many that are good.  If you want game where you have to play or die then there's Mirai Nikki and Btooom.  There's also accel world which I think is by the same writer(or something along those lines) and people speculate it may have a connection to SAO.  I thought it was alright, but for the majority of the anime I hated the MC.

Accel World and SAO is not by same author... but in their recent novel chapter, there is a crossover for them   :D :D

Fall anime got one called Log Horizon, LOL.. that one felt like a total SAO....  :confused:

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #519 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 14:22:54 »

Accel World and SAO is not by same author... but in their recent novel chapter, there is a crossover for them   :D :D

Fall anime got one called Log Horizon, LOL.. that one felt like a total SAO....  :confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accel_World
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_Art_Online
uhh....you sure about that?

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #520 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 14:46:55 »
I can't believe I missed this thread, I was probably busy watching anime at the time  :p
There are so many good ones, so I'll just ramble off a couple of my fav's in no particular order:
Death Note
Ghost in the Shell
.Hack (all of them)
Chrno Crusade
Full Metal Alchemist
Bleach
Vandread
Blood+
Vegeta
Perfect Cell
Blue Gender
Elfen Lied
Accel World
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
One Piece
Air Gear
Zero no Tsukaima
Excel Saga
Karin
Ai Yori Aoshi
Outlaw Star
Hellsing OVA
DearS
Azumanga Daioh
Lain (soo good, like 1984 good)
Haibane Renmei (same writer as Lain)
I could go on, but I should stop for now  :))

Offline rurushu

« Reply #521 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 14:55:43 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accel_World
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_Art_Online
uhh....you sure about that?

oh.... didnt know about that, my bad ^^'''
no wonder they can crossover... XD
I can't believe I missed this thread, I was probably busy watching anime at the time  :p
There are so many good ones, so I'll just ramble off a couple of my fav's in no particular order:
Death Note
Ghost in the Shell
.Hack (all of them)
Chrno Crusade
Full Metal Alchemist
Bleach
Vandread
Blood+
Vegeta
Perfect Cell
Blue Gender
Elfen Lied
Accel World
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
One Piece
Air Gear
Zero no Tsukaima
Excel Saga
Karin
Ai Yori Aoshi
Outlaw Star
Hellsing OVA
DearS
Azumanga Daioh
Lain (soo good, like 1984 good)
Haibane Renmei (same writer as Lain)
I could go on, but I should stop for now  :))
most of what you listed, i've watched and they're  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
me just add one more, Blassreiter  :D

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #522 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 16:12:04 »
hmm I'll have to look that one up, it might be hiding in the backlogs (too many TB's) of anime
if not, i have something new to download tonight woot!!!

Offline evolyn

« Reply #523 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 21:58:59 »
vision of escaflowne? ilike
Iam Looking Desprate for Championship Riven QQ

Offline rurushu

« Reply #524 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:51:51 »
hmm I'll have to look that one up, it might be hiding in the backlogs (too many TB's) of anime
if not, i have something new to download tonight woot!!!
Blassreiter was back in 2008, but the quality is just too goddamn awesome, and for GONZO, the story is just way too good for them to make it, well, main reason is because the mastermind behind the story is the same person who make the stories of Fate/Zero, Madoka Magica, Suisei no Gargantia and Psycho-Pass XD
vision of escaflowne? ilike

that one... very nice.... hope they will resurrect it... but given the direction Sunrise is heading... the chances are very very very slim... their newer gundams... are so fail that i dont even bother watching.... >.<

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #525 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 20:11:41 »
In the last week I've watched these:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Angel Beats
Darker Than Black season 1 and 2

I didn't really like Evangelion... Darker Than Black was awesome though.

I watched Steins;Gate, Code Geass and Cowboy Bebop recently too and I loved all of them.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood would have to be my favorite though.

Any suggestions?
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #526 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 20:24:27 »

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Angel Beats

I watched Steins;Gate, Code Geass and Cowboy Bebop recently too and I loved all of them.

Any suggestions?
Did you watch all of eva?  There is the original tv series, then the end of evangelion which redoes the ending of the last two(i think two) episodes.  I think when the original series was completed the director was depressed and they were also out of budget.  Then there is the rebuild series.  1.0 is essential a recap oft he first 8 or so episodes(unsure on exact number) and then from there on it is a different story (2.0 and 3.0 currently, 4.0 coming out next year I believe).

Mirai nikki is one I always recommend
summer wars- a short movie that is one of my favorites
FLCL- because I watched it when I was young and it will always be one of my favorites
madoka magicka
gurren lagann- dont watch this if you don't like over-the-top anime though.
the monogatari series
katanagatari
fate zero was really good, but its the prequel to fate stay night which wasnt very well done.  I recommend the visual novel for that.
yahari ore no seishun love come wa machigatteiru
the index/railgun series
pretty much anything studio ghibli

Offline HairyBob

« Reply #527 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 20:26:10 »

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Angel Beats

Any suggestions?

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Angel Beats

Any suggestions?
Did you watch all of eva?  There is the original tv series, then the end of evangelion which redoes the ending of the last two(i think two) episodes.  I think when the original series was completed the director was depressed and they were also out of budget.  Then there is the rebuild series.  1.0 is essential a recap oft he first 8 or so episodes(unsure on exact number) and then from there on it is a different story (2.0 and 3.0 currently, 4.0 coming out next year I believe).

Mirai nikki is one I always recommend
summer wars- a short movie that is one of my favorites
FLCL- because I watched it when I was young and it will always be one of my favorites
madoka magicka
gurren lagann- dont watch this if you don't like over-the-top anime though.
the monogatari series
katanagatari
fate zero was really good, but its the prequel to fate stay night which wasnt very well done.  I recommend the visual novel for that.
yahari ore no seishun love come wa machigatteiru
the index/railgun series
pretty much anything studio ghibli

I'd watch Mirai Nikki, like Xenderwind recommended, I know there's a dub coming out, but the sub is great, so I'd just watch that.

Offline Flamingchook

« Reply #528 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 21:11:24 »

I have The End of Evangelion but I haven't watched it yet, I'll probably do that now... I'll have to get the rebuild series and watch them too I think.

I'll also pick up Mirai Nikki next

Thanks for the suggestions.
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #529 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:12:56 »
How was the Mirai Nikki anime?

I loved the manga, but since I had read the series I didn't end up watching the show when it was produced.

Offline HairyBob

« Reply #530 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 14:06:19 »

I loved the manga, but since I had read the series I didn't end up watching the show when it was produced.

I liked it very much, it was really well done. I didn't read the manga though, so I have no way of knowing which was better. Also, the first opening and ending are amazing, just thought I'd mention that.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #531 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 14:58:59 »

I liked it very much, it was really well done. I didn't read the manga though, so I have no way of knowing which was better. Also, the first opening and ending are amazing, just thought I'd mention that.
I'm a fan of all the music, especially the battle theme

Offline Flamingchook

« Reply #532 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 18:41:09 »
So I watched The End of Evangelion and I must say I enjoyed it a lot more that the original ending.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #533 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 18:57:57 »
So I watched The End of Evangelion and I must say I enjoyed it a lot more that the original ending.

lol EoE is the "true" ending to the original anime run (they ran out of budget and that's why 25/26 are what they are).

Although, Evangelion never actually ends.

Literally every 5 minutes I think of Evangelion and just randomly get really sad.
I love Elzy

Offline rurushu

« Reply #534 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 12:45:11 »
Eva continues in its own novel series in some hobby japan magazine....

if not mistaken, the novel is around six months after the last episode of the anime.... which you will be highly unlikely to understand if you do not watch the movies....  :D

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #535 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 17:17:43 »
See? never ends.
I love Elzy

Offline Flamingchook

« Reply #536 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 07:47:52 »
After getting my head around the various names and releases of the Rebuild of Evangelion series I watched 1.11 and 2.22. Really enjoyed them! I'll probably wait for Funimation to release of 3.33 before I watch it, or whatever Madman decided to call it in Australia, since I don't really like watching things with subtitles.

1 and 2 were fantastic though :)

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #537 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 09:14:04 »
Currently going through Baccano! and Great Teacher Onizuka. I'm enjoying GTO more as Baccano! has started a little slowly for me, but it's gradually getting very awesome.
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #538 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 10:21:26 »
Reading that made me realize I never finished Baccano! -- time to get that finished.

I've been on a manga kick - marathon reading History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #539 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:09:47 »
After getting my head around the various names and releases of the Rebuild of Evangelion series I watched 1.11 and 2.22. Really enjoyed them! I'll probably wait for Funimation to release of 3.33 before I watch it, or whatever Madman decided to call it in Australia, since I don't really like watching things with subtitles.

1 and 2 were fantastic though :)
When I first started I only watched dubbed but I've switched to pretty much only subs.

There are some anime that I like dubbed though:
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Champloo
somewhat gurren lagann (I love kamina's english VA)

but a lot of those may also be because that is how I watched them first, since they aired on toonami when I was younger.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #540 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:33:29 »
Anyone else seen stuff by Makoto Shinkai? I just caught The Garden of Words. Animation was beautiful but the story was kinda meh.

Definitely going to check out his other stuff.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #541 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:41:38 »
Anyone else seen stuff by Makoto Shinkai? I just caught The Garden of Words. Animation was beautiful but the story was kinda meh.

I know 5cm per second is supposed to be really good, but I haven't gotten around to watching it.  I'm pretty sure its a sad one so I've been putting it on hold.

Offline Flamingchook

« Reply #542 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 21:51:56 »

I know 5cm per second is supposed to be really good, but I haven't gotten around to watching it.  I'm pretty sure its a sad one so I've been putting it on hold.

I watched 5 centimeters per second recently. It was nice, I liked it.

Although I said I wouldn't, I couldn't resist and watched Evangelion 3 with english subs...  :thumb: :3

Offline Phedran

• Phedran.com
« Reply #543 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 23:52:35 »
Just got back into anime recently--I go through phases. Really digging the cyberpunk/dystopian and horror series' lately, but after a while it can get depressing! (My anime list for reference.)

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #544 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 09:56:32 »
Just finished the first and second seasons of Gundam 00.  It  reminded me of code geass at times, but code geass was def better.  Started Eden of the East yesterday.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #545 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:49:59 »
Just finished the first and second seasons of Gundam 00.  It  reminded me of code geass at times, but code geass was def better.  Started Eden of the East yesterday.

The Gundam story line is rehashed every single time there's a new series...

There's really nothing they can do about it...

Gundam story arc relies on the fact that the technology outpaces most individual human's capacity to appropriate.

Thus, leading to a power struggle...

If you look at it logically,   There is no way humanity would've been capable of developing such advanced technology without first overcoming the social problems inherent in the typical story arc...

The resources and converging research that would be required to produce advanced humanoid mecha would require several life times worth of uninterrupted work, something that does not occur in the typical Gundam plot...

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #546 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 11:29:19 »

Gundam story arc relies on the fact that the technology outpaces most individual human's capacity to appropriate.

If you look at it logically,   There is no way humanity would've been capable of developing such advanced technology without first overcoming the social problems inherent in the typical story arc...

The resources and converging research that would be required to produce advanced humanoid mecha would require several life times worth of uninterrupted work, something that does not occur in the typical Gundam plot...
I've never really knew the plot of any of the other series.  I would just watch an episode here and there on tv when I was younger.

They kind of explain the research you were talking about in developing the gundams in this one.  Not saying it sounds possible, but this is anime we're talking about.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #547 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 11:43:39 »

I've never really knew the plot of any of the other series.  I would just watch an episode here and there on tv when I was younger.

They kind of explain the research you were talking about in developing the gundams in this one.  Not saying it sounds possible, but this is anime we're talking about.

Well that's just it though, their tech springs out of no where with 1 SUPER SMART GUY that somehow made it all up AND carried it out by himself...

They rely on super human plot devices..  Which I've come to detest...

But you're right, it's anime.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #548 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 13:55:58 »

Well that's just it though, their tech springs out of no where with 1 SUPER SMART GUY that somehow made it all up AND carried it out by himself...

Well.... I know that the reporter went and researched and found that like 200 years ago scientists from all over were kidnapped and reported missing but never found.  So it wasn't just one guy who did it all, but yeah I can see where you're coming from.
I still found it enjoyable though so I can't complain.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #549 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 14:41:59 »

Well.... I know that the reporter went and researched and found that like 200 years ago scientists from all over were kidnapped and reported missing but never found.  So it wasn't just one guy who did it all, but yeah I can see where you're coming from.
I still found it enjoyable though so I can't complain.

I totally enjoyed it as well..

Still debating whether I should get the 00 perfect grade