Author Topic: [AU] Jaffers' Keyboard Services - Assembly, Repair, Modding, Sourcing, Proxy  (Read 25401 times)

Offline jaffers

Hi, I will be offering the services for Australia and the surrounding regions (or further if you wish to pay the shipping prices). Based out of North Queensland

I have fixed a few boards privately in the past from members of the community but have decided to make my services publicly available.

For most the majority of things I offer a 24 - 48 hour turn around time on acquisition of parts

Services
  • Soldering/Desoldering (Surface mount and through hole)
  • Repairs (diagnostics, damaged trace repair, dead switch replacement, etc..)
  • Full Keyboard Assembly (can buy full keyboard and assemble from GON, winkeyless, etc..)
  • Switch tuning (lubing, stickering, replacing springs, clipping & tuning stabs, etc..)
  • Modding (painting, metal finishing and a variety of other services)
  • Refurbishing
  • Parts sourcing1 (Springs, switches, stickers, lube, etc...)
  • Proxy Service (if you find something in Australia that you need repackaged/can't get elsewhere/or doesn't ship to your country

Contact me for a quote if you are interested in getting a keyboard done, I operate on a case by case basis and we can discuss anything via PM

I am available via PM or you can email me at: jaffers@tuneitup.tech

Repair

Have been doing small electronics repair for years, component level diagnostics and repair as well. Currently studying electrical engineering if that gives some idea of the detail and extent available

Refurbishing

Bolt modding, retrobrighting, teensy modding, etc.. are some of the services that I offer

Modding

My specialty is more exotic modding than just painting, although I have done a lot of that in the past as well. If you are interested in getting some serious custom work done to make your board stand out than I'm sure we can figure something out.

Small list of specialty services (not exhaustive)

• Patina: electrolytic copper plating followed by salt induced patina for a beautiful green/turquoise colour, lightly sanded and then coated in clear enamel. Note, this is recommended for wrought corrosion resistant steels. The resulting finish is semi uniform
  • Brushing (this process strips the current surface so it is not intended for finished surfaces unless you want to get it refinished, will not brush aluminium, contact a anodizing service for this)
  • Heat treating steel (a process of gently heating metal until the surface begins to anneal and change colour)
  • Acid Etching: stenciling out a pattern/picture, enamel masking non affected area, then subjecting the steel to an acid bath which etches to a black/dark grey colour, followed and acetone bath to remove the mask. It is a very popular process among the knife enthusiast community
  • There are many more things I can do, modding is more of a process that is very depended on each particular product, if you are interested in getting something unique contact me and we can discuss various designs and the different avenues to go down to achieve it)

Prices

All prices are in USD. Repairs, refurbishing and modding are depended on the extent of the service.

If you request a spring swap, sticker and sip socket they are $10 for the lot.

Discounts:
1 board = 0%, 2 = 5%, 3+ = 15%

Complimentary stabilizer tuning upon request

Previous Work

Off the top of my head here is a small list of some of the things I have done:
  • Bolt Modded Model M
  • Noppoo Spyder 87: Complete switch replacement and tuning of switches and stabilizers, steel plate heat treatment and brushing w/ clear coat finish, circuit rewire to swap CTRL and caps lock keys
  • Switch tuning, plate painting and replacement of dual colour LED's for KBParadise V60 Mini
  • Assembly of CP-SQ1800 and switch tuning with SIP socketing
  • Damaged trace fix for Alps Party 60% PCB
  • Diagnostics and fix for Nan Tan Enhanced 78 Keyboard (dead switches)
  • Switch harvesting of various old Cherry keyboards
  • 7 years of miscellaneous metal work and experimentation
  • Various (PC) case modding

FAQ:

Q: Can you lube alps?
A: Yes

Q: What lube do you use personally?
A: I mix my own custom lube with a top secret formula. Please ask for this if you are getting a board done from me.

Q: Can you lube clicky switches and keep the click?
A: Yes! There stands to be no reason that you can't have super smooth clicky switches!

Q: ...
A: ...?

Note:
1: Although it may be cheaper for me to source parts for you and not have to double handle on shipping costs, turn around time on completed boards will be longer as I will be waiting on shipping

And I draw random crap on request if you use any of my services

Yes, thats an alps cap taped to a MX switch[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 October 2017, 10:28:59 by jaffers »

Offline jaffers

[AU]Jaffers' Keyboard Services - Assembly, Repair, Modding, Sourcing, Proxy
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 06:44:24 »
Completed:

-Desolder and Resolder of RS68 for feralfoo
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 August 2016, 22:22:21 by jaffers »

Offline jaffers

Re: Australia Keyboard Services - Assembly, Repair, Modding, Sourcing, Proxy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 00:26:13 »
Bump

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 05:54:02 »
Great to have keyboard repair services in Australia!

There was one guy in Sydney, but IIRC he became every busy with Real Life and had to have a break for a while.

Good luck :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jaffers

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 04:27:58 »
Great to have keyboard repair services in Australia!

There was one guy in Sydney, but IIRC he became every busy with Real Life and had to have a break for a while.

Good luck :)

Thanks dude, also bump

Offline feralfoo

• Software developer and mech keyboard nut
Thanks for fixing my RS68 board @Jaffers :thumb:

For the curious or those in need of help, I assembled and soldered my RS68 and then realised I forgot to install the pcb mount stabs :-[ Having failed at my attempts to desolder switches, @Jaffers came to the rescue. Less than a week later I have my board back with stabs in all the right places.

HHKB Pro JP + Hasu controller, Realforce RF87U55G, G60 Retro, QK65

Offline jaffers

Re: [AU]Jaffers' Keyboard Services - Assembly, Repair, Modding, Sourcing, Proxy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 22:47:11 »
Bump

Offline Quackles

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 04:15:51 »
Oh nice, this is good to see.

Will probably get in contact with you regarding some things soon!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 21:52:02 »
Oh nice, this is good to see.

Will probably get in contact with you regarding some things soon!

Spread the word! :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jaffers

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 06:14:56 »
Updated some stuff

Offline Quackles

Re: [AU] Jaffers' Keyboard Services - Assembly, Repair, Modding, Sourcing, Proxy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 23:03:25 »
Sent him a big box of stuff to do for me the other day. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Highly recommended so far for the help he has provided. Very knowledgeable and keen to help out  :thumb:

Offline Heezy

• Formerly trynds
  • ★★★★★
Re: [AU] Jaffers' Keyboard Services - Assembly, Repair, Modding, Sourcing, Proxy
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 23:33:32 »
How long would it usually take for you to tune a keyboard? As in sticker the switches, lube, and then soldering them back..

Rig - i3 6300, 240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte H170N Wifi, 16GB DDR4, Zotac 1060 Mini, 650w SuperFlower
Monitor - HKC144hz Mouse/Mousepad/Keyboard - Zowie EC1A - Zowie GS-R - Zowie Camade - Filco TKL MX Pink

Offline jaffers

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 00:25:26 »
Sent him a big box of stuff to do for me the other day. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Highly recommended so far for the help he has provided. Very knowledgeable and keen to help out  :thumb:

Thank you!

How long would it usually take for you to tune a keyboard? As in sticker the switches, lube, and then soldering them back..

Less than 24 hours from acquisition of parts :)

Offline lanox

where about in Australia are you ?

cheers

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
where about in Australia are you ?

cheers

From the OP:

"Based out of North Queensland"

Offline jaffers

Bump

Offline Quackles

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 November 2016, 01:10:55 »
Post removed.

Not happy with end result.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2016, 22:51:48 by Quackles »

Offline jaffers

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 17:25:48 »
bumperino for the status update

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 18:09:21 »
Removed at posters request

Holy hell, dats alotaboard!
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2016, 23:44:24 by fanpeople »