Author Topic: [GB] Duck Viper/Eagle V2 Kustom Group Buy [Closed] - 2nd Batch Shipped  (Read 318994 times)

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
Re: [GB] Duck Viper/Eagle V2 Kustom Group Buy [Closed] - 1st Batch Shipped
« Reply #650 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 14:31:07 »
Fantastic keeb! Bought 2 Yamaha QX3s for my own Viper V2 and wrote a little about em on reddit. http://imgur.com/a/SsMP4

Oh this is awesome!  I never knew about that little notch in the stem there... Also for some reason never thought of the nickel thing either.  Did Ripster pressure you to use nickels?  LOL.  "You know, for keyboard science!" or whatever he says...haha love that guy.  Anyway, glad you got a decent measurement.  Did you get your QX3's from Japan or some other outlet?  I have new old stock (yeah that's right, NEVER USED) Nixies for the Viper **insert evil laughter here** . The nostalgic vintage dudes are gonna be crying as I cannibalize this board...  :o

Afaik Hirose switches have different keystem size than regular Cherry switches hence they lock onto the caps very tightly (maybe they used a different key mount?). Did you have any problem removing the keycaps?
Very nice build nonetheless.

Edit: from DT wiki

Hirose Cherry mount is a smaller cross than Cherry MX mount. Cherry MX keycaps will fit on Hirose Cherry switches, but Hirose Cherry keycaps will not fit on Cherry MX mount keycaps. The horizontal arms are shorter but approximately the same thickness, but the vertical arms of the cross are noticeably thinner, and keycaps made for this mount won't fit onto a Cherry MX mount keycap.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 March 2017, 14:35:37 by iamacicada »

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #651 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 14:42:30 »
If anyone's looking to let go a viper v2 kit, I'd be glad to pay extra too !  :) Ping me.

Got mine too!
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 March 2017, 16:26:03 by johnthedong »

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #652 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 15:09:12 »
If anyone's looking to let go a viper v2 kit! :) Ping me.

And if anyone's looking to let go of an eagle v2 kit (or hell, even an eagle v1 kit if they still have it), I'd be super interested.

Edit: hells yes
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 March 2017, 13:46:53 by mer6 »

Offline trexous

• ~.~
« Reply #653 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 13:02:58 »
Maybe looking to trade my viper kit for a blackbird, message me for details

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #654 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 14:43:05 »

And if anyone's looking to let go of an eagle v2 kit (or hell, even an eagle v1 kit if they still have it), I'd be super interested.

Congrats! Still looking for a Viper V2 as well. :(

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #655 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 16:52:30 »
Quick question - should I get Zeal stabilizers or Cherry stabilizers for the Viper V2 build? I've seen discussion in the front mentioning that Zeal stabilizers might not work out of the box without custom diffusers. I'm planning to use Zeal switches for this (R5, 65g). First time building this so I'm nervous!

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #656 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 17:20:36 »
Quick question - should I get Zeal stabilizers or Cherry stabilizers for the Viper V2 build? I've seen discussion in the front mentioning that Zeal stabilizers might not work out of the box without custom diffusers. I'm planning to use Zeal switches for this (R5, 65g). First time building this so I'm nervous!

cherry stabilizers
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
« Reply #657 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 18:37:00 »
If anyone wants to get rid of ther Viper R2, please send me a message!

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #658 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 19:31:03 »

Jelly. Congrats, man!

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #659 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 11:02:04 »

cherry stabilizers

Thank you!

Also, what do you guys think about the case angle? I'm typing on a hhkb with the legs extended atm, so would that be approximately the same inclination as the viper?  ;D

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #660 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 14:46:42 »
Diffuser Update:

So finding a good match for the acrylic is rather difficult here in the USA considering the required 2mm thickness.  It seems that every major acrylic distributor I've contacted only carries a starting thickness of 3mm.  There is a guy on eBay that sells stuff made in the UK by the name of Perspex but he sells it in paper sizes (A4, A5 etc).  Just extra work to only cut a few per sheet and then of course wasted plastics (aka raised cost) in the end.  Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still on it.  If I can't find another option by the end of this weekend then I'm going to order the stuff from the UK and just deal with it.

Cheers
D

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #661 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 14:56:16 »
Diffuser Update:

So finding a good match for the acrylic is rather difficult here in the USA considering the required 2mm thickness.  It seems that every major acrylic distributor I've contacted only carries a starting thickness of 3mm.  There is a guy on eBay that sells stuff made in the UK by the name of Perspex but he sells it in paper sizes (A4, A5 etc).  Just extra work to only cut a few per sheet and then of course wasted plastics (aka raised cost) in the end.  Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still on it.  If I can't find another option by the end of this weekend then I'm going to order the stuff from the UK and just deal with it.

Cheers
D

Thanks for the continued work  :thumb: Still rocking my viper acrylic-less for now :(

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #662 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 15:00:40 »
Just finished my Viper!

163919-0

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #663 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 15:10:12 »
Just finished my Viper!

(Attachment Link)
Nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #664 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 15:54:52 »
Just finished my Viper!

(Attachment Link)

Looks great! Any ideas on what those LED's on the upper left corner do? I'm still waiting for mine but I can't wait to get building soon!

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #665 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 15:58:41 »
Looks great! Any ideas on what those LED's on the upper left corner do? I'm still waiting for mine but I can't wait to get building soon!
The first 3 are Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock.  The other 4 are Layers 1-4 or FN Layer selection.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #666 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 16:05:45 »
The first 3 are Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock.  The other 4 are Layers 1-4 or FN Layer selection.

Awesome - thanks for the clarification!
PS: also entered your diffuser buy btw ;)

Looking to build almost exactly this (http://duck0113.tistory.com/146) once I get my kit in, been drooling over the symmetry especially the right shift!

Offline theillumedpanda

[GB] Duck Viper/Eagle V2 Kustom Group Buy [Closed] - 1st Batch Shipped
« Reply #667 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 17:48:53 »
Just finished my Viper!

(Attachment Link)
That looks sooo good! Which switches are you using? Do you by any chance know if switch (and LED) holtites fit?

Edit: I'd still be down for a Viper :)

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #668 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 21:58:31 »
Thanks guys! I'm using ergo-clears with zealencio silencing clips...still getting used to the HHKB layout.

Offline trexous

• ~.~
« Reply #669 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 02:27:13 »
Thanks guys! I'm using ergo-clears with zealencio silencing clips...still getting used to the HHKB layout.
Why dont you just use zealios instead of ergos? What is the main difference? Just curious so I know what to use for my build

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #670 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 09:06:42 »
Why dont you just use zealios instead of ergos? What is the main difference? Just curious so I know what to use for my build

I'm personally using zealios 65 with zealencio clips :D. Just have to wait till my stuff comes!

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #671 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 09:58:03 »
Just wondering, but is it possible to use the other PCB's with the case? Looking at GoN Nerd 60 atm as it has bluetooth support haha

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #672 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 10:03:32 »
Just wondering, but is it possible to use the other PCB's with the case? Looking at GoN Nerd 60 atm as it has bluetooth support haha
Won't work due to the port location.

Offline HappyCatFish

« Reply #673 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 10:12:16 »

BT may have reduced range and unreliable signal due to the aluminum case.

Also you could theoretically solder a usb breakout to the pins on the PCB, attach it to a slim BT card and hide it in the weight cutout. It shouldn't be impossible to find parts that fit, just make sure to measure out the space and place something between the breakout and pcb to prevent shorts. I would recommend looking into this over a different PCB (which as previously stated wont work anyway)

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #674 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 10:40:16 »

BT may have reduced range and unreliable signal due to the aluminum case.

Also you could theoretically solder a usb breakout to the pins on the PCB, attach it to a slim BT card and hide it in the weight cutout. It shouldn't be impossible to find parts that fit, just make sure to measure out the space and place something between the breakout and pcb to prevent shorts. I would recommend looking into this over a different PCB (which as previously stated wont work anyway)

I see, thanks guys! Totally forgot that the port location is back to the center again (probably due to the diffusers this time?). Hmm... time to break out the bluetooth kits again i guess. You're right that the bluetooth might be affected by the case though unfortunately.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #675 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 15:51:21 »
Did some reading lately and am wondering if it's possible to use the TMK firmware (https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard) to customize the Viper instead of the given GUI? I see xauser has written a few for the Octagon and lightsaver here (https://github.com/xauser/tmk_keyboard/tree/xauser/keyboard) .

Offline Shados

« Reply #676 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 17:28:11 »

Main difference in my experience is that Cherry Clears have a somewhat sharper/more defined tactile bump than Zealios. Zealios are somewhere between a Cherry Clear and a Brown in that regard, although more towards the Clear.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #677 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:04:35 »
Anyone else planning to use/using holtites with the viper/eagle?  :)

Offline theillumedpanda

« Reply #678 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:31:48 »
I'm really curious if that works, according to that Google Spreadsheet it should work.

Will there be a R3 or was that it?

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #679 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:46:18 »
I'm really curious if that works, according to that Google Spreadsheet it should work.

Will there be a R3 or was that it?

Getting in holtites - I'll see if they work. Pretty sure there won't be a R3 for quite awhile (1-2 years?) as the last viper/eagle drop was from 2014-5. Duck is pretty backed up on gb's right now too.

Offline theillumedpanda

« Reply #680 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 14:47:50 »
Cool, tell us about your experience then.

I'll be lurking around /r/mm and on GH as well.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #681 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:17:08 »
I have the board on hand, just waiting for holtites and stuff to arrive :). Having the ability to change switches on the fly plus no soldering is a massive plus.

Offline theillumedpanda

« Reply #682 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:23:37 »
I have the board on hand, just waiting for holtites and stuff to arrive :). Having the ability to change switches on the fly plus no soldering is a massive plus.
These are my words! I'm currently building a keyboard myself but I'm short of 6 holtites. I'll have some more by Wednesday though.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #683 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:40:19 »
These are my words! I'm currently building a keyboard myself but I'm short of 6 holtites. I'll have some more by Wednesday though.

Sounds great! Another duck board? How's the holtites working?

Offline theillumedpanda

« Reply #684 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:53:47 »
Unfortunately not. I didn't have the money at the time and I'm now looking to buy one, but it's not that easy. I'm using switch holtites with my GoN Nerd mint.  :thumb:

Offline Potage

• L'omelette du fromage
« Reply #685 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 05:29:41 »
Guys I dreamt that batch 2 has been sent. I need to stop thinking about this board.
HHKB Pro 2 | Winkeyless b.mini | Eagle v2

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #686 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 21:35:44 »
PS: what's the bottom part made of? It feels super heavy compared to the top part.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #687 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 21:42:15 »
PS: what's the bottom part made of? It feels super heavy compared to the top part.

My first guess would be salt.. from those who missed the GB. My 2nd guess would be a much thicker block of aluminum.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #688 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 21:42:40 »

Aluminum

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #689 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 22:09:32 »

Considering the top part has a large cut out on it and the bottom is solid aluminum, I'd say that the bottom should feel heavier than the top
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline Potage

• L'omelette du fromage
« Reply #690 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 00:34:46 »
Both are in aluminum, but the bottom is more voluminous than the top, so it weighs more.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #691 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 01:38:29 »
When elton will start shipping the second patch?

Offline Potage

• L'omelette du fromage
« Reply #692 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 02:51:27 »
In the TL:DR section it's said that the second batch will ship up to two weeks after the first one. Which leads us to this week. I this batch two is for the upcoming days.

Offline n__dles

« Reply #693 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:39:36 »
If anyone's looking to let go an eagle kit, I'd be glad to pay extra too !  :) Ping me.

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #694 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 20:33:10 »
If anyone has a spare SS plate with PCB, please let me know as I would love to pick it up  :thumb:

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #695 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 01:16:28 »
Diffuser Update:

So I ordered the acrylic sheets to finally make the diffusers.  I ordered them from a retailer in the UK as I could not find the right light-transmitting Opal Acrylic in the USA at a 2mm thickness.  It will cap us at around 50-60 front diffusers which I think is more than plenty.  SmittySteve and I are in close contact on this and he'll be sending out invoices soon - I'm estimating $8-9 shipped in the USA.  So if any of you still haven't joined and want to, do it now!  I'm guessing they will ship in about 2 weeks.  The studio I found is going to cut them as I wait since it's such a small order.  They will be shipped First Class with tracking (thick envelope) in the US.  International folks should PM me or smittysteve to arrange shipping as sending it with tracking would be absurdly expensive for a small piece of $6 plastic.  I'll post up when their made and in the meantime expect an email/invoice from Steve!  Cheers!

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #696 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 01:46:47 »
Diffuser Update:

So I ordered the acrylic sheets to finally make the diffusers.  I ordered them from a retailer in the UK as I could not find the right light-transmitting Opal Acrylic in the USA at a 2mm thickness.  It will cap us at around 50-60 front diffusers which I think is more than plenty.  SmittySteve and I are in close contact on this and he'll be sending out invoices soon - I'm estimating $8-9 shipped in the USA.  So if any of you still haven't joined and want to, do it now!  I'm guessing they will ship in about 2 weeks.  The studio I found is going to cut them as I wait since it's such a small order.  They will be shipped First Class with tracking (thick envelope) in the US.  International folks should PM me or smittysteve to arrange shipping as sending it with tracking would be absurdly expensive for a small piece of $6 plastic.  I'll post up when their made and in the meantime expect an email/invoice from Steve!  Cheers!
Thank you so much for doing this man, who to contact if i want to add another diffuser to the order?

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #697 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 03:20:13 »
You can either edit your response or just submit another one... Just add in the notes at the bottom the final quantity you actually want sent to you. But fyi, smittysteve is handling all the orders/collection because he's a good friend.  :thumb:   It's a divide and conquer kinda thing.

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #698 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 03:42:58 »
And just as a reminder, here's the link again:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSegFXZikG0UzYC-x01-bZ4Yjsvcsd9jbi5aJNwITHwEV3isYg/viewform

Ignore the questions about material choices - Quantity and PayPal/Contact is most important...  Add to notes if you're outside of the USA. This is for a single front diffuser that matches the stock ones that came with the board with added Zeal compatibility.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 March 2017, 03:48:07 by onmybikedrunk »

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #699 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 08:39:52 »
If anyone has a Viper they want to sell, I'd really like to get hold of one. Would pay a little over the odds if necessary.  :)