Author Topic: [GB] Duck Viper/Eagle V2 Kustom Group Buy [Closed] - 2nd Batch Shipped  (Read 318314 times)

Offline johnthedong

Re: [GB] Duck Viper/Eagle V2 Kustom Group Buy [Closed] - 2nd Batch Delayed
« Reply #850 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 20:20:51 »
I've generated a hex file with my custom keymapping using 02D_KeyMapper_Custom_v1.8.622, and tried to flash it using dfu-programmer (that I use to flash my other keymaps). The erase/writing works fine, but the keyboard is not working afterwards (no LED's light up etc).  :-[ Anyone have any luck with custom keymaps?

Maybe try 1.10.653? https://gist.github.com/ankailou/0b3f3183429536d86ecf4e7d27860b6c Is what I followed to set mine up and I was able to get it to work pretty consistently and get all my layers and function layers programmer how I wanted them.

Sounds good, thanks for the headsup! The board works originally when unflashed so I'm pretty sure it's not a soldering issue etc. Trying this now :D

Offline profanum429

« Reply #851 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 20:26:14 »
I've generated a hex file with my custom keymapping using 02D_KeyMapper_Custom_v1.8.622, and tried to flash it using dfu-programmer (that I use to flash my other keymaps). The erase/writing works fine, but the keyboard is not working afterwards (no LED's light up etc).  :-[ Anyone have any luck with custom keymaps?

Maybe try 1.10.653? https://gist.github.com/ankailou/0b3f3183429536d86ecf4e7d27860b6c Is what I followed to set mine up and I was able to get it to work pretty consistently and get all my layers and function layers programmer how I wanted them.

Edit:
I'm also thinking about trying to get QMK running on the second pcb I got from you :) Just need to sit down and figure out the row and column matrix first. I might give it some work this weekend...

Sounds good, thanks for the headsup! The board works originally when unflashed so I'm pretty sure it's not a soldering issue etc. Trying this now :D

I do find it a little tricky; I've had the best luck assigning my keys, saving to a file, putting the board into boot loader mode then doing the upload. If I have to change anything I exit the mapper and restart it and open my last saved file and repeat the previous steps. I ran into different issues if I changed keys without saving or did multiple saves before uploading; but that might just be me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 April 2017, 20:29:04 by profanum429 »

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #852 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 21:03:49 »

Edit:
I'm also thinking about trying to get QMK running on the second pcb I got from you :) Just need to sit down and figure out the row and column matrix first. I might give it some work this weekend...

I do find it a little tricky; I've had the best luck assigning my keys, saving to a file, putting the board into boot loader mode then doing the upload. If I have to change anything I exit the mapper and restart it and open my last saved file and repeat the previous steps. I ran into different issues if I changed keys without saving or did multiple saves before uploading; but that might just be me.

Whew, managed to get it working - apparently 1.8.622 on Duck's site is not up to date and does not generate working hex files for the V2's. I should've known better when the programming interface only allowed me to program the V1's.  :D

I generated the hex file again using the 1.10 version, and loaded it to the keyboard as usual. Lights came on and everything works as expected!

Thank you again for the help, I would've been stuck here all night long should I not have figured that I was using the wrong version. Also shoutout to smittysmith for PM'ing me to offer help! I <3 this community so much!

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #853 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 21:21:40 »
Last question, did you guys manage to get the media keys working in Mac? It kind of works if I mash a few media keys together, but it's not working when I press individual keys. :(

Offline profanum429

« Reply #854 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 21:36:59 »
Last question, did you guys manage to get the media keys working in Mac? It kind of works if I mash a few media keys together, but it's not working when I press individual keys. :(

I unfortunately haven't tried those :( I have a MacBook I can try it on tomorrow though.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #855 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 22:48:35 »
Heys guys,

Im new to custom mech. Do i need to download anything after putting all the the parts together? Or just plug in and type?

I want to use ANSI layout

Thanks guys

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #856 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 22:59:10 »
Heys guys,

Im new to custom mech. Do i need to download anything after putting all the the parts together? Or just plug in and type?

Thanks guys

You should be fine, but if you want to customize the layout check out the post by profnum above, it has pretty much everything you'll need to start customizing.

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #857 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 23:02:17 »
Heys guys,

Thanks guys
Post #561 by Invisibilti has everything you need. He put together a word doc outlining everything you need.

Here's a direct link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IyxQTLqywC7n6XMzA9XHXpq0QjWpg2HzuENi08qlpPY/edit?usp=sharing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #858 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 23:32:32 »
Heys guys,

Thanks guys
Post #561 by Invisibilti has everything you need. He put together a word doc outlining everything you need.

Here's a direct link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IyxQTLqywC7n6XMzA9XHXpq0QjWpg2HzuENi08qlpPY/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you so much guys, I also need to download Atmel Flip right?

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #859 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 23:40:26 »
Heys guys,

Thanks guys

Yes, you need to download Amtel.

There is also a .HTML file in the Dropbox download that you can reference. It contains Korean instructions that you can translate via Google translate in Chrome. This will cover most, if not all of your needs.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #860 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 23:43:22 »
Heys guys,

Thanks guys

Yep, depending on the OS you're using right now. I personally made the hex file on a vmware Windows, and flashed the keyboard using a Mac via dfu-programmer. I've heard that Flip works the best for pure Windows users though. Also try out the default layout before you flash, you might like it.

PS: Use the 1.10 version instead of the 1.8 version of O2D on Duck's site, and make sure you select Duck Viper/Eagle V2.0 in the program. That was the issue that tripped me up badly.

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #861 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 19:15:43 »
Got the diffuser materials.  It's a bit more translucent than stock but handles light transmission/diffusion a bit better - shouldn't be any color distortion.  Going to get them made tomorrow!   :thumb:

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #862 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 19:32:36 »
Got the diffuser materials.  It's a bit more translucent than stock but handles light transmission/diffusion a bit better - shouldn't be any color distortion.  Going to get them made tomorrow!   :thumb:

Thanks for the update man!

Offline brighenne

« Reply #863 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 00:48:08 »
Any updates on batch 2? It's been a couple weeks since the it's  been delayed a couple weeks post.

Offline tuba section

« Reply #864 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 10:32:56 »
Hey, just got my Viper built and programmed, running into a couple small issues that I can't seem to find the answers for anywhere.

The first is in re: to the RGB PCB LEDs. I have the controls programmed into the fn layer and they seem to be working. What I can't seem to find is a way to have the LEDs be a single color that doesn't fade or do anything at all on key press. I would love for the PCB LEDs to just be a single static color. Does anyone have any tips for this?

Second, my  indicator LEDs are not functioning. They appear to be fine but they will not light up at all. Haven't had issues with the indicators with any other Duck board. Any tips? Am I missing something stupid?

Thanks

Offline profanum429

« Reply #865 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 10:54:36 »
Hey, just got my Viper built and programmed, running into a couple small issues that I can't seem to find the answers for anywhere.

The first is in re: to the RGB PCB LEDs. I have the controls programmed into the fn layer and they seem to be working. What I can't seem to find is a way to have the LEDs be a single color that doesn't fade or do anything at all on key press. I would love for the PCB LEDs to just be a single static color. Does anyone have any tips for this?

Second, my  indicator LEDs are not functioning. They appear to be fine but they will not light up at all. Haven't had issues with the indicators with any other Duck board. Any tips? Am I missing something stupid?

Thanks

Edit: Hmm, I'll need to go back and double check mine...
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:07:32 by profanum429 »

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #866 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 11:06:29 »

Thanks

For the RBG PCB LED's, FWIW there is no static color that doesn't have some sort of effect. In order to get it a uniform color without a fade/effect, you would need to open up O2D and set all values in the RGB editor to the same value.

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #867 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 18:20:17 »

Finally.  Such a small project but it took forever!  Sorry about the timing folks.  So I've spoken to smittysteve and he's going to start mailing off invoices in the next day or two.  Once everyone has paid I'll post tracking details via a spreadsheet.  I think a week long deadline should be fine for such a small amount right?  I really need to handle the shipment in one swoop if possible... Also, the new material is more  "clear" than the original but fear not, the edge looks almost identical (the only part you see) and it handles light better by a minute amount!  I'm very happy with how they finally turned out.

Pricing:
USA: $10 shipped w/ tracking + $5 for each additional diffuser
International: $18 shipped + $5 for each additional diffuser

**International tracking won't exist outside of the USA, it's too expensive for such a small item.  After it clears customs you will be on your own.

Pics (for those who requested them):
More

(the white seen here is just masking to prevent burning when cut or shipping damages)

Please let me know if you guys have any questions/concerns.  Hopefully this time next week these will be on their way!

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #868 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 18:21:22 »
Show Image

Finally.  Such a small project but it took forever!  Sorry about the timing folks.  So I've spoken to smittysteve and he's going to start mailing off invoices in the next day or two.  Once everyone has paid I'll post tracking details via a spreadsheet.  I think a week long deadline should be fine for such a small amount right?  I really need to handle the shipment in one swoop if possible... Also, the new material is more  "clear" than the original but fear not, the edge looks almost identical (the only part you see) and it handles light better by a minute amount!  I'm very happy with how they finally turned out.

Pricing:

**International tracking won't exist outside of the USA, it's too expensive for such a small item.  After it clears customs you will be on your own.

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

(the white seen here is just masking to prevent burning when cut or shipping damages)

Please let me know if you guys have any questions/concerns.  Hopefully this time next week these will be on their way!

Good job sir.

Offline brighenne

« Reply #869 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 18:25:39 »
Good stuff :thumb:

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #870 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 18:35:33 »
Show Image

Pricing:

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Finally, Thanks for doing this GB man, hope you guys will send out all the invoices by this weekend

BTW, will you guys make another zeal stabs compatible diffuser GB for Duck Lightsaver that's coming up?

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #871 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 18:41:10 »
I probably won't be going in on that buy. Of course, I say that now but have an affinity for Duck boards that is somewhat grotesque haha. I'll email Duck again about the issues and maybe he'll just build in compatibility for screw-in stabs now that they're becoming more popular?  Who knows?  Worth a shot!

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
« Reply #872 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 18:46:17 »
These look awesome! Onmybikedrunk has rocked it!

I'll have all invoices out this weekend. Won't start tonight though because we have a rare sitter and are going out! Payment will be due by late next week (Thurs, maybe?) so omb can ship Friday? That seems a solid timeline to me...

Have a good weekend, all.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #873 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 18:47:37 »

Finally, Thanks for doing this GB man, hope you guys will send out all the invoices by this weekend

BTW, will you guys make another zeal stabs compatible diffuser GB for Duck Lightsaver that's coming up?

Just a heads up, my Zeal stabs work fine on my Blackbird. So it may be that compatibility will vary from Duck board to Duck board.

Offline tuba section

« Reply #874 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 20:48:04 »

Thanks

For the RBG PCB LED's, FWIW there is no static color that doesn't have some sort of effect. In order to get it a uniform color without a fade/effect, you would need to open up O2D and set all values in the RGB editor to the same value.

Awesome, thanks for the help. I will try that when I get home

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #875 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 21:26:57 »
You the man!! Thanks again Onmybikedrunk!

A heads up that my default defusers work on my Viper with Zeal stabs, but it might be that the defusers I got are slightly thinner.

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #876 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 15:02:52 »
From Duck on the LS V3 Screw-in Stab Compatibility:
"Thank you my friend
I did not know about screw stab
I will apply LS v3
Huge thank you very much"
Awesome!  Told you he was cool.

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #877 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 20:12:06 »
Picked up my Eagles brother in a trade a while back. Upon arrival, there was some cosmetic damage on the exterior of the top case due to bad shipping practices. It was refinished at the shippers expense and I chose to go with a finer bead blast @ 120grit and a clear anodize. The end result is a finer matte finish opposed to the shiny silver  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Sat, 29 April 2017, 20:14:00 by aaron6301 »

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #878 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 21:51:50 »
Picked up my Eagles brother in a trade a while back. Upon arrival, there was some cosmetic damage on the exterior of the top case due to bad shipping practices. It was refinished at the shippers expense and I chose to go with a finer bead blast @ 120grit and a clear anodize. The end result is a finer matte finish opposed to the shiny silver  :thumb:

Show Image

Wow, that's an amazing remake! How much the refinishing costed, and where did you get it? Thanks again! It would be amazing to know there's a way to save it should anything bad happens.

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #879 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 22:12:45 »

Show Image

Wow, that's an amazing remake! How much the refinishing costed, and where did you get it? Thanks again! It would be amazing to know there's a way to save it should anything bad happens.

I had the work done at a local shop and it cost me about $90 for strip, bead blast and re-ano.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #880 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 22:15:23 »

Show Image

I had the work done at a local shop and it cost me about $90 for strip, bead blast and re-ano.

Sounds good, thanks for the headsup!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #881 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 07:32:42 »

Show Image

Much nicer finish as apposed to the shiny finishes, great board.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #882 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 07:35:26 »

Show Image

Much nicer finish as apposed to the shiny finishes, great board.

Yeah, I was wondering if I should send one of mine to one of those gun refinishing/anodizing places to reanodize with a type 3 mil spec anodization.  Waiting to see how much they quote me lol.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #883 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 14:21:38 »
Patch 2 seem dead :(

I havent receive the invoice for diffuser, anyone here had received it?

Offline poolside

« Reply #884 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 14:37:45 »

I got mine a few hours ago.

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
« Reply #885 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 15:42:37 »
Invoices for the diffusers are all out. Many have been paying quickly as I've been sending, thanks. We'll say payments in by Thursday night so onmybikedrunk can ship but I don't think it will take that long. He'll ship as soon as the last payment is in (and take all shipments to PO at once).

If there are any errors, please let me know. Should have been $10 for one, $15 for two in the US. Plus $8 for international.

Have a good rest of the weekend!

Offline profanum429

« Reply #886 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 16:03:03 »

Sorry for the late reply but I was finally able to test this; in Windows they work 100% but in macOS 10.12.5 beta they only work about once a second. If I press volume up with a second delay between each then each one will increment the volume; if I spam volume up then it'll only increase about once a second. Not sure why it does this.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #887 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 16:17:47 »

Sorry for the late reply but I was finally able to test this; in Windows they work 100% but in macOS 10.12.5 beta they only work about once a second. If I press volume up with a second delay between each then each one will increment the volume; if I spam volume up then it'll only increase about once a second. Not sure why it does this.

NP, it's totally not working for me on my Mac atm unless I do the mashing (using Karabiner to bind the F keys work though) :( . I suspect it's something due to my system.

Offline Mizzazz

• :^)
« Reply #888 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 17:07:50 »
Quick Q - anyone know if 02D supports spacefn? Or is that best achieved through some sort of macro?
Viper V2

Offline anthorix

• Finally Awake
« Reply #889 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 20:15:28 »
Elton where u at!  :'(

Offline elton5354

« Reply #890 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 20:48:42 »
They're being packed from what I have been told!!!!!!!

Offline anthorix

• Finally Awake
Re: [GB] Duck Viper/Eagle V2 Kustom Group Buy [Closed] - 2nd Batch Packing
« Reply #891 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 21:09:12 »
Oh Boy!  :-*

Offline anthorix

• Finally Awake
« Reply #892 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 22:32:37 »
They're being packed from what I have been told!!!!!!!

um, is the period between packaging and shipping going to be like the previous batch...

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #893 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 17:21:59 »

May 3, 2017 - Been advised that keyboards are being packed!
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #894 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 17:48:56 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2020, 20:08:03 by Unforgivable »

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #895 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 11:46:39 »
Duck Eagle/Viper V2 plate w/switch top opening

As some have asked, here’s my experience with the Eagle/Viper V2 plates I had made which allow for switch top opening

The Bad
Switch rotation - it will only be a problem for some. When testing the new plates, I've found that there is an issue with switch rotation/misalignment when utilizing plate mounted switches. In my case, I chose to build my Viper with vintage blacks which lacked the PCB mounting posts commonly found on PCB mounted switches. The test fitting resulted in misaligned switches which I found frustrating to say the least.

Not to be defeated, I remedied this issue by installing a set of GMK keycaps on the unsoldered switches and aligning the tops via a straight edge ruler. From there I carefully turned the plate/pcb over and soldered one leg per switch then flipped it over to examine my work. Quite a tedious process but once I figured out the correct method, it was actually rather easy.

I believe the issue was compounded by the fact that Lasergist deburrs the edges in the finishing stage. This resulted in increased tolerances that left a little to be desired in regards to that “snug” fit. Overall, I would say it’s a fair trade off considering the finish that was achieved.

The Good
It works! I don’t think there is much more that I can say other than the fact that the plate does its job and allows for switch top opening. Additionally, if you are utilizing PCB mounted switches, there is little to no switch rotation (tested with NIB PCB mounted Gat Blacks).

I’ve created two plates based on Swills templates which I modified to fit my needs and fit the Eagle/Viper V2. One being a Universal ANSI plate and the other being a HHKB Layout based plate which incorporates isolated cutouts for split backspace, split right shift + fn, and a 1x1.5x7x1.5x1 bottom row.

Download here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2BotsTwxuB5djNyaXdSWGp0Vmc
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 May 2017, 11:50:08 by aaron6301 »

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #896 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 11:52:13 »
Thanks for the plate files! It looks amazing!

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #897 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 12:21:07 »
Forgot to mention in my above post... I have an earlier revision of the SS plate that was made by a local shop that I currently have no use for. The plate can use some work, refinishing mostly and some deburring if you want to get nit picky. The other pain point is that there is a clearance issue with split right shift+fn, you will need to file a little material off if you plan on using that layout combo.

If you would like this plate, for free (just cover shipping), drop be a PM and I'll RNG the winner in about 24 hours.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #898 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 12:49:43 »
In my case, I chose to build my Viper with vintage blacks which lacked the PCB mounting posts commonly found on PCB mounted switches.

That's true only for WYSE vintage blacks though. I always try to put some PCB mounted switches on the corners and edges of the board just to hold the plate in place, in case the plate is not perfectly flat.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #899 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 12:56:23 »
In my case, I chose to build my Viper with vintage blacks which lacked the PCB mounting posts commonly found on PCB mounted switches.

That's true only for WYSE vintage blacks though. I always try to put some PCB mounted switches on the corners and edges of the board just to hold the plate in place, in case the plate is not perfectly flat.

I do exactly that and on any stabilized key.