Author Topic: Let's create the FSSK !  (Read 6188 times)

Offline idollar

Let's create the FSSK !
« on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 08:56:40 »
All,

I have been posting in deskthority about what we have named the FSSK and the FEXT.
In a nutshell the idea is to replace the internals of a SSK and a normal model M to make it a Model F.

We need to replace the flippers, the membrane by a PCB and the controller (xwhatsit)

The project is very advance. Actually we are about to order the PCB prototypes.

The deskthority thread can be found here: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/f-ssk-t10744-330.html

The last prototype is posted here:  http://deskthority.net/post276715.html#p276715

I have created the following spreadsheet to collect the interest and contributions in this project.

Click here

Please post here, register in the spreadsheet, or contact me if you are interested in helping with the project.

Cheers

Offline idollar

Re: Let's create the FSSK (Model F SSK)!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 08:59:03 »
Some images on how the PCB looks like follow:

123135-0

123137-1

123139-2
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2016, 09:32:56 by idollar »

Offline tronbeaver

Re: Let's create the FSSK !
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 09:00:23 »
Great project!

Offline idollar

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 07:31:06 »
The first FSSK was born:

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 07:37:58 »
Damnn son that right there is a beauty  :thumb:

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 21:34:47 »
This is a really cool idea. Definitely going to follow this project.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 21:53:15 »
Wow, nice project dam I want to contribute to this but money is tight at the moment.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 00:38:55 »
Sounds awesome. Basically what the new model fs should have been  :-\

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 00:42:53 »
Next, FGH36?

FErgo Dox?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 07:53:41 »
Missed this while I was out. Can't wait to dig into the DT thread. FSSK is definitely a dream of mine.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 08:32:25 »
Wow.  This is awesome.  FSSK is basically my dream board.  :eek:

* HoffmanMyster regrets selling his SSK for not being a Model F

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 12:13:05 »
Read the DT thread over my lunch break. So cool to see a project like this come together. I really wish I had the expertise to help prototype. I hope that there's a GB for the PCBs and I wanna kick i$ some money for prototyping. Thanks so much for sharing this! Very very excited to see this work out.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 16:08:52 »
Suuuuuper awesome project, make sure to check out the Deskthority thread.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 18:54:36 »
Now let's imagine Unicomp starts selling Model M SSK chassis and parts!

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 07:17:40 »
Suuuuuper awesome project,

Now, if somebody would just do it for a conventional M, that would get me interested.

But is is still a "faux-F"
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 07:24:30 »
Suuuuuper awesome project,

Now, if somebody would just do it for a conventional M, that would get me interested.

But is is still a "faux-F"
But it's a fully modern layout, which is a huge plus. I think layout is one of the biggest hangups people have when it comes to Model Fs.

In your estimation, how F-like will this be?  80%?

My boards:
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 07:50:24 »

I doubt that it would be that high. If the M/F sensation scale is M=0 and F=100, I would predict that this might be somewhere between a 20 and a 50 at best.

I have always held the position that the heavy front plate, the tension and compression within all the plates, and the metal bottom pan all make major contributions to the gestalt of the F being what it is. Except for the XTant and Ellipse's project, these other projects do not address the totality of the whole and simply replace a couple of parts.

I would love to be wrong and have this thing be really good.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 08:35:25 »
Super duper job. Not really into vintage boards but this is cool.

Offline micrex22

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 08:28:47 »

I doubt that it would be that high. If the M/F sensation scale is M=0 and F=100, I would predict that this might be somewhere between a 20 and a 50 at best.

I have always held the position that the heavy front plate, the tension and compression within all the plates, and the metal bottom pan all make major contributions to the gestalt of the F being what it is. Except for the XTant and Ellipse's project, these other projects do not address the totality of the whole and simply replace a couple of parts.

I would love to be wrong and have this thing be really good.

Actually it feels more or less identical to an F XT. I tested some F pivots in an SSK chassis already:

As I go through different tensions, you'll hear the familiar distinct Model F sound (especially the sounds as to what happens when you don't slide the plates back together properly).

What makes  Model F a Model F are the pivot plates and lighter springs. As a bonus the FSSK is actually louder and more musical due to the lack of foam.

I'm closer to say the opposite actually: Ellipses Model Fs (at least the recordings and video provided) didn't seem to have the same 'ring' as the original Model Fs and the FSSK. Could have been the recording, but until people actually receive them I'm not going to say anything conclusive about it.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 20:45:56 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:38:24 by alienman82 »