Author Topic: Retrofitting Better Trackball into MX11800  (Read 9117 times)

Offline Oqsy

Retrofitting Better Trackball into MX11800
« on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 20:21:01 »
I have a Compaq mx11800 with a dead trackball.  I'm interested in perhaps reviving it if I can find an electronically compatible unit that will fit in the space.  I'd prefer it to be an upgraded quality ball unit, but I foresee problems with PCB size and location.  

I'm pretty sure I'm up to fabricating the case to accept a slightly larger ball, as I'm already planning on changing the button location as well (one top right one top left instead of the PITA top/bottom layout)  Does anyone know the pinouts of the logitech trackball that's built into the MX11800, and if so, can you suggest a higher quality ball with compatible electronics and a small controller?  

This is probably pie in the sky, but I'm already disassembling the board to swap out the browns with blacks from another board, and I'd like to mod the hell out of this one while it's out of service.  (change in key color and case color already in planning stages as well as case reinforcement (so it can pass the flex test :P), cold solder joint touch-ups, and additional weight to keep it planted on the desk)

Thanks in advance,
Oqsy
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline Frawg

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 March 2010, 18:53:35 »
I've just dyed my 11800 keys and painted the case. I'll post once I get the pictures downloaded.

Worked amazingly! The only problem I had was that when I did the first coat of paint, it was a bit uneven in this one spot so I took a finger to it, and it scraped up. I couldn't really smooth it out, and after several coats it was very thick and a bit smoother, but not a perfect finish. It looked great where the paint coats where thin, though.

I used Dupli-vinyl Charcoal Grey and Rit Dye.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 March 2010, 19:16:38 »
Both of those are products I've considered using for the aesthetic mods.  I painted my Model M case with Rustoleum Industrial Machine Gray (I think that was the color, it could have been another shade like Smoke) and Krylon Fusion Satin White, and I've had no problems with either paint so far.  The gray is a nice shiny smooth coat, but thin enough that the texture is still very apparent, and the white krylon is even more like the factory sheen / texture.  I've painted for many years now and used to do it full time so I'm familiar enough with the prep work necessary to make it stick and lay down flat without much fuss.  I wouldn't recommend anyone paint their plastic case without doing the research first or talking to a professional you trust.  Rit Dye worked perfectly on my keys, which are black and red (I'm still referring to the Model M).  The only thing I don't like is that the Esc was a dark gray color and didn't dye the same shade of red as the other red keys (originally beige).  If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with another color dye altogether, or found a beige Model M Esc key to match it better.  I did go back and wetsand / polish the Esc key to make it super shiny and smooth for the heck of it, and I have to say it's nice having it stand out a bit.  I might do something similar with the 11800.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 March 2010, 23:34:48 »
anyone with info on the question at hand?

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 17:43:49 »
tracball?  mx11800?  anyone?

Offline JBert

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 14:39:10 »
If I remember correctly, the trackball unit is just a tiny OEMed part from Logitech.
The PS/2 mouse cable is directly connected to it, so any trackball you can squeeze in the keyboard's case could be connected like it normally would.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 16:29:43 »
Hmm...sounds M5-2ish in design.

In that case your possibilities are very much endless, could go so far as to cut out that corner of the case and somehow mold in something more extravagant.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 17:37:58 »
Maybe you could pull one out of another keyboard, like this Dell (Silitek) SK-3200 for $9.99+shipping.  I know maybe that's sort of begging the question but I don't know off-hand of a source for such small trackballs.  Is it "better"?  I doubt it. But maybe it's a way to fix a busted one.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 March 2010, 18:26:41 by TexasFlood »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 17:50:31 »
Going O/T but I don't think anyone will mind terribly much...

...that ball and retaining ring remind me of an M5-2 (yeah I know, difficult to tell, but the ball and ring are proportionately the right size).

Did Maxi Switch ever do M5-2s? If so, I suppose it's possible the little mechanism that holds the rollers is shared between the M5-2 trackball assembly and the trackball parts of other keyboards (PCB and assembly as a whole, obviously not, but that portion may be).

...point being people with one board, say an M5-2, with a messed up trackball could potentially source parts from a wide variety of cheap, rubber dome trackball-equipped keyboards.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 23:22:41 »
Hmm yes.  Arcade balls, I'm a recovering mame-o-holic and didn't even think about that.  Thanks for the input guys, time to do some more research.  In the end I'm hoping to have a very unique Frankencherry board that is useful AND fun.  As I said earlier in the thread, the mechanics of attaching the trackball and moulding it into the case don't bother me nearly as much as the electronics, but a USB hub and bypassing the original trackball circuit is an even better approach...  Maybe I should bit the bullet and install a blue cube into the case for the keyboard portion, and experiment with combining the USB trackball AND usb kb signals into a single USB signal as in a USB combo board.  I am planning on making the end result board more of a gaming board with linear black switches and a capable trackball, and having it all USB would be very slick.  See what you guys have done to me?  Six months ago I would have been modding guitars or my Volkswagen, and now I'm obsessed with computer peripherals.  Both of the former weren't exactly commonplace hobbies, but I could at least talk to other people about it and they "got" my obsession.  Keyboards and trackballs?  That's a much harder conversation to pull people into!  

Thanks, GH!  I'm now even more of a hermit than before!

Oqsy