Author Topic: Mixing key caps on Wolfking Warrior  (Read 7609 times)

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
Mixing key caps on Wolfking Warrior
« on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 03:49:53 »
Really, swapping key caps is the lowest common denominator of keyboard modifications, but I'll mention this anyway, in part because my Mystery Keyboard Project X is proceeding slower than hoped, and also because my platform is relatively novel.

Behold, the Wolfking Warrior gaming keyboard.  The red one was acquired for US$6 at a local yard sale.  The white one was procured online, new, for US$30 shipped, to be used as a key donor.  (Only the white model has non-black keys, alas.  Presumably to make Mac fans happy.)

I've been intending to post a review of this keyboard, but for now let's suffice to say that it's fine, and while it's not sufficiently advanced I like it all the same, perhaps because it's just my speed.

My primary gripe is that it's pretty easy to get your hand lost from the "home row".  There isn't a nipple on the "S" key for tactile indexing, and if you get displaced, it can take a moment finding your way home in that big ocean of uniformly colored, irregularly shaped keys.  Even if you are properly situated, finding specific number/function keys can take more time than the ideal.

Hence my interest in indexing keys by color.

Using the white-key donor, I spent a few fun hours here at Megarat Labs, experimenting with many different layouts, and I finally settled on a mix that I like.  (Some layouts were more aesthetically pleasing than this, but less functional, so most of my time was spent finding an optimum balance between the two.)

Behold, the "after" photo:

Problem solved.  Well, sort of.  It's much easier to find my way around, although it could still use a nipple on the "S" key.  I'll figure that one out someday ... maybe with a soldering iron.

I've thought about getting fancy with the Rit Dye, but I don't think I'm into this keyboard enough to invest the time (and face the risk).  Instead, I now have a pair of working and nicely indexed gaming keyboards.  I'll probably be selling the white one for cheap if anyone is interested.  (A Megarat Labs original!)

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)