Author Topic: [IC] GMK Hackathon [UPDATE]  (Read 12170 times)

Offline Kelly87

[IC] GMK Hackathon [UPDATE]
« on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:05:18 »
Hey friends!
So this is gonna be pretty rough and tumble, very barebones and not a lot of details as of yet. I'm just sort of looking for thoughts on the colorway, and if it seems like people really like it I may go ahead and get more renders, make kits and figure out pricing and whatnot.
The colors are based on the logo for a hackathon I attended at a local school. I loved the colors, and I thought it would make for a really nice colorway for a keyset.
Again, I'm just looking for feedback on the colors, and if this goes anywhere then we can get into kits and all that stuff. I am willing to mess with the colors a little bit, so just be honest and let me know what you think!
... Unless you're here to call it a hyperfuse clone because you think pink is purple
UPDATE: New Render and color changes!
So I've decided that I should probably go with stock colors if I want to run this, and I actually found the stock colors to be a little closer to what I had actually wanted it to look like. I am still working on getting a render of the new colors on a board with actual modifiers, but until then here are some new renders from my good friend CJT!

Old Renders
Renders from Pngu's KeycapRenders.com:

Render from the homie Soft:

Thanks folks, let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 November 2019, 20:33:36 by Kelly87 »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
Re: [IC] GMK Hackathon
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:06:48 »
i love kelly

Offline dexie

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:08:30 »
It looks sweet. I like how simple and light it looks

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ISO Life

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:19:49 »
  • Nice simple keyset.
  • You can probably use 2B, GR1, and MG1 and run this at 150 MOQ, as long as you're happy with a bolder magenta instead of the light pink you chose. Or maybe they have some lighter pink resin on hand and you can work out a deal to use it (iirc this is what Shoko did with their cyan).
  • In light of the above, it might be nice to see a more "traditional" big base kit at $130-140, especially if there aren't lots of accent colors and novelties to slot in.
  • Not a fan of the name on its own. It's such a "strongly themed" name and such a "weakly themed" keyset. IMO either you lean into the hackathon theme or just call it GMK Holy Pandas Aren't Great Kelly.
  • Yes to the pink accents.
  • We've spoken about this on Discord I think, but you'll want to make sure that pink doesn't look washed out in real life against the white.
  • As I've asked in almost ever GMK group buy I've ever commented on: 1.25u R3 Function key please? Or if you do a 40s kit, focus on row compatibility and less on legend variety to keep cost down... or skip legends entirely and do blanks.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:24:30 »
strem nud?

I like the set though, give me more renders

Offline Kelly87

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:25:57 »
Thanks for the feedback! Going for stock colors is a good idea. The kit pictures are very unlikely to be what ends up happening if it does end up happening, that's just what pngu's orthographic keyset renders do. I also really like the accents. I'll put some more thought into the naming. I will keep the kit ideas in mind, thanks!

Offline Kelly87

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:27:32 »
  • Nice simple keyset.
  • You can probably use 2B, GR1, and MG1 and run this at 150 MOQ, as long as you're happy with a bolder magenta instead of the light pink you chose. Or maybe they have some lighter pink resin on hand and you can work out a deal to use it (iirc this is what Shoko did with their cyan).
  • In light of the above, it might be nice to see a more "traditional" big base kit at $130-140, especially if there aren't lots of accent colors and novelties to slot in.
  • Not a fan of the name on its own. It's such a "strongly themed" name and such a "weakly themed" keyset. IMO either you lean into the hackathon theme or just call it GMK Holy Pandas Aren't Great Kelly.
  • Yes to the pink accents.
  • We've spoken about this on Discord I think, but you'll want to make sure that pink doesn't look washed out in real life against the white.
  • As I've asked in almost ever GMK group buy I've ever commented on: 1.25u R3 Function key please? Or if you do a 40s kit, focus on row compatibility and less on legend variety to keep cost down... or skip legends entirely and do blanks.
Im dumb and didn't think to quote you, but my recent comments is in regards to what you said  :)

Offline fropsie

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:30:36 »
Cute, but not as cute as u kelly ;)

Offline Tonkatonk

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:38:39 »
ne Lucy novelties avail?

I like the colors, excited to watch as it develops

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Noxary PC268.2 | Red Nunu | Purple PC Nunu | Ogre | Vulcan Pro

Offline Kelly87

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 13:42:54 »
ne Lucy novelties avail?

I like the colors, excited to watch as it develops

ty for the reminder, time to go pet Lucy

Offline Shenpai

• always found
    • padoru
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 14:03:05 »
very uwu, ill agree that the naming is really weak though, a bit of a stretch to name it hackathon just because it uses the same colors as your local hackathon's colors.
Nunu | KR FC660C

Offline Kelly87

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 14:11:24 »
very uwu, ill agree that the naming is really weak though, a bit of a stretch to name it hackathon just because it uses the same colors as your local hackathon's colors.
Yeah, I think the name will end up changing, not sure what I'll go with just yet.

Offline Shenpai

• always found
    • padoru
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 14:21:09 »
Yeah, I think the name will end up changing, not sure what I'll go with just yet.
good luck sir
Nunu | KR FC660C

Offline Morbus

• a real dude
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 14:40:37 »
yes
dm me ur top 42 topster charts
consider adding norde support to ur sets
   dont be dumb as hell

Offline octix

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 14:51:58 »
Loving the colours!

Discord: octix#0478

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 15:44:26 »
c ^ :

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 16:08:21 »
Couple quick comments:

- Both base kit renders are rather different in the amount of keys present. Which one is the "good" one?

- R3 Insert? huh?

- Bottom row: "Win" for the 1.25U/1.0U keys between Ctrl and Alt? I don't think that's gonna be popular; for all the fights between CODE and SUPER activists, everyone agrees that both are better than "Win" (or a Windoze icon).

- No "Fn" option instead of "Menu" as well.

- Atlantis ISO: R3 #~ should be replaced with R3 \| to have complete English (USA) over ANSISO or ISO support, and not add any keys (R4 can remain \| or be turned into <>). Alternatively, complete English (UK) over ISO support by adding R3 '@, R1 , R1 2" and R1 3#.

Offline Kelly87

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 16:20:08 »
Couple quick comments:

- Both base kit renders are rather different in the amount of keys present. Which one is the "good" one?

- R3 Insert? huh?

- Bottom row: "Win" for the 1.25U/1.0U keys between Ctrl and Alt? I don't think that's gonna be popular; for all the fights between CODE and SUPER activists, everyone agrees that both are better than "Win" (or a Windoze icon).

- Atlantis ISO: R3 #~ should be replaced with R3 \| to have complete English (USA) over ANSISO or ISO support, and not add any keys (R4 can remain \| or be turned into <>). Alternatively, complete English (UK) over ISO support by adding R3 '@, R1 , R1 2" and R1 3#.
"Again, I'm just looking for feedback on the colors, and if this goes anywhere then we can get into kits and all that stuff." I can tell you spent a lot of time writing this, so if you would kindly devote the same amount of time to reading I would appreciate it. I guess I can add a disclaimer that the renders, which on pngus website are static and not something I can edit, and the other one done for me just to see the colors, are not indicative of the kits, but I had hoped the reiteration of the purpose of the ic would do that.

Offline duckboi

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 16:46:49 »
GMK Kelly would be a good name because Kelly is a girls name and the set has pink which is a color for girls
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline Kelly87

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 16:49:57 »
GMK Kelly would be a good name because Kelly is a girls name and the set has pink which is a color for girls
I will defeat you at the Southern California Mechanical Keyboard Meetup

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 06:24:41 »
 :thumb:
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline Tonkatonk

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 07:36:53 »
Couple quick comments:

- R3 Insert? huh?

"Again, I'm just looking for feedback on the colors, and if this goes anywhere then we can get into kits and all that stuff." I can tell you spent a lot of time writing this, so if you would kindly devote the same amount of time to reading I would appreciate it. I guess I can add a disclaimer that the renders, which on pngus website are static and not something I can edit, and the other one done for me just to see the colors, are not indicative of the kits, but I had hoped the reiteration of the purpose of the ic would do that.
Nice.

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2019, 07:39:57 by Tonkatonk »

Noxary PC268.2 | Red Nunu | Purple PC Nunu | Ogre | Vulcan Pro

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 08:41:18 »
So, completely ignorning kits and just looking at the colors. It gives me a slight Hyperfuse vibe, mostly though I wonder how the contrast will be between the alpha's base and legend color. Especially on the numrow due the smaller legends it's giving me SoWare flashbacks.

Offline Kelly87

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 10:53:15 »
So, completely ignorning kits and just looking at the colors. It gives me a slight Hyperfuse vibe, mostly though I wonder how the contrast will be between the alpha's base and legend color. Especially on the numrow due the smaller legends it's giving me SoWare flashbacks.
Thanks for the feedback! I am thinking of making the pink a bit more muted to try and improve the contrast a bit, I should have a new render with a more refined set of colors soon  :D

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 14:14:16 »
Looks like GMK Olivia

JK, I really dig the colorway. This will pair really well with the GMK Pretty in Pink mod kit.

Offline Kelly87

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 15:56:10 »
Looks like GMK Olivia

JK, I really dig the colorway. This will pair really well with the GMK Pretty in Pink mod kit.
Thanks! Yeah, people have mentioned pairing it with pretty in pink, would look nice I bet c :

Offline halocantkb

• Formerly 'shota_irl'
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 19:04:38 »
uwu

Offline tuxkey

Re: [IC] GMK Hackathon [UPDATE]
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 10:12:35 »
Would love to see how it looks having all the lettering be pink also for the modifiers..

Offline psxndc

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 01:22:11 »
I'm just sort of looking for thoughts on the colorway, and if it seems like people really like it I may go ahead and get more renders, make kits and figure out pricing and whatnot.

Colors in the new renders >>> colors in the old renders.
Ortho. Always.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 08:49:59 »
Hey qt, NE update avail? ;)