Author Topic: [IC] Pixelspace Capsule (65%) | large update: sale info and final product photos  (Read 51821 times)

Offline ClickClack.io

• Find us on clickclack.io
    • clickclack.io

Index

- Introduction
- Design
- Structure
- PCB and Layout
- What's Included
- Prototype
- Colorways
- FAQ
- Interested?

Introduction

Hi all, this is ClickClack!

We are here with our second keyboard collaboration project with another Chinese design studio - Pixelspace.

Out of fascination with science fiction, Pixelspace incorporated lots of the related symbols into their designs. Endless, a sci-fi themed 80%/TKL keyboard, is their first project and has been loved and well-supported by enthusiasts.

On behalf of founder of Pixelspace, young777, please allow us to introduce Pixelspace's new sci-fi themed project, Capsule. (Kudos to York for support with renders here.)

Design

Capsule has been designed in the popular 65% layout, which is both compact and practical, and the overall style continues the sci-fi theme from Endless. The top right of the kit is adorned with a translucent power indicator LED nameplate to enhance the Capsule's recognizability and detail from the top. The sides feature a curved design that allows a smoother connection between the top and bottom, combined with a weightless bottom design, preserving the fluidity and consistency of the kit's look, contributing to a more aesthetically pleasing appearance. On the connector-side of the kit, we used a copper PVD mirror side strip with a recessed USB-C port module, which sets the tone of the kit to a more restrained, minimalistic style.

With the curved design and futuristic vibe, this project left the word "space capsule" deep inside my heart to be the name of this creation - thus, the "Capsule" was born.

Structure

The Capsule follows a 65% layout, and utilizes gasket mounting. We have chosen three different materials for the plate: FR4, PC, and POM. After giving serious consideration to the hardness of the plate and the gasket's material, thickness, density and compression ratio, we chose soft silicone as the gasket material, which not only creates a light feel and good flex, but also makes it easier to install. For the plate foam, we have chosen a 3.5mm high density Poron® foam, with a 0.5mm PE switch muting sheet.

For the case foam, we have two options:
1.   2.5mm high density Poron® foam, for a crisp and bright tone.
2.   1.5mm high density Poron® foam, which together provides a more muted sound.

Both options guarantee a soft and bouncy feel as well as making each keypress feel effortlessly powerful. In addition, to ensure the whole kit is beautiful and comfortable to use, we set the typing angle to 5°, to accommodate most enthusiasts' typing preferences.

PCB and Layout

Due to the constraints of the internal structure, the kit cannot be screw-free on the base. Thus, the kit uses stickers to conceal the screws on the bottom, which will be cleaner in terms of visual experience. However, the disassembly of the base still requires removing the foot stickers first (extra foot stickers will be provided). That being said, the kit will provide a hot swappable PCB with per-key RGB to reduce the chances of having to take apart the kit. Considering this advantage of hot swappable PCBs, as well as the convenience for enthusiasts to assemble it, we decided to sacrifice soldered PCBs and the greater range of layouts. The PCB will be 1.2mm thick; the thinner design will give the PCB more of a poppy feel to the overall kit. Stabilizer shims will be provided to compensate for the thinner PCB. PCB support QMK+VIA.

Product Photos

Prototype Photos from Pixelspace:

E-yellow Colorway photoed by Budianzai:

Black Anodized version:

What's Included

►Top and bottom case: Aluminum
►Curved front strip: PVD Brass
►Nameplate module: Aluminium
►USB-C port module: Aluminium

►Plate choices: PC, FR4, POM
►Plate foam: 3.5mm Poron® Foam
►Switch muting sheet: 0.5mm PE Foam
►Case foams: 2.5mm and 1.5mm
►1.2mm Hotswap PCB: with per-key RGB Stripe Indicator Light
►USB-C daughterboard

Colorways

Some colors in render picture are for illustration only. ThreeFour colors will be available.

From top to bottom:
►Ice Blue
►Ivory
►Black
►E-Yellow

Sale Plan

Please note this is a sale plan and subject to change. Will be finalized when GB happens.

Sale format

Pixelspace's current plan is to offer Capsule in two rounds:
► R1 (In-stock): FCFS, around 200 in-stock units ready to ship
► R2 (Groupbuy): regular GB format with more configurable options and 18mm front height & 6 degree typing angle, including more layouts, soldering PCB, ai03 C3 Unified DB's Circuit and ESD Protection Solution

Estimate Pricing

► R1 (In-stock): Anodized version: ~$410, Electrophoresis: ~$430
► R2 (Groupbuy): not finalized yet, but target to get them under $400

Interested?

Upholding our enthusiasm for custom keyboards, we are always willing to explore and work with everyone in the community!

Join our Discord for latest update, discussion, questions:

Fill in Interest Check Form:

Follow Pixelspace's IG for their news:

You can also follow Clickclack's IG for other new projects:

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 June 2022, 01:07:25 by ClickClack.io »

Offline Plurrkeebs

Re: [IC] Pixelspace Capsule (65%)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 21:40:45 »
This looks really nice.
I loved the Vertex and cant wait for mine to ship!!!
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 February 2022, 21:42:33 by Plurrkeebs »

Offline sirieous

• help
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 21:41:22 »
Interested to see if this will also receive matrix coating. GLWIC  :thumb:

Offline Belled

• I like shoobs
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 21:51:27 »
Matrix boop65

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 21:55:02 »
The tao I appreciate your input  he is one of my friends and he hhas this Boop65  and it look like  This one

Are you making a copy cat
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 22:50:12 »
Matrix boop65

The tao I appreciate your input  he is one of my friends and he hhas this Boop65  and it look like  This one

Hi there,

Capsule did not borrow anything from Boop65 and in no way a copycat. This project have no connection with Matrix. The concept behind two designs are completely different.

Also, Pixelspace's Capsule started more than 1 year ago and long before Boop 65 was released. 8 rounds of prototyping are a good proof of this.

Thank you for your interest!

Offline Tulesto

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 23:23:51 »
Man this is a dope design. I already joined the angle so I will be watching this one closely
Sangeo/Suit/Spring/Angle/CW88/Mode80/Arc/Corsa/Swift65/Neko

Offline QWER|key

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 00:33:06 »
I hate that badge. It ruins the keyboard IMO.  Not as elegant as the Boop.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 01:05:29 »
Very cool, I dig where this is going. I will be keeping an eye out for when the price is announced.
A-a-ron

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 03:32:42 »
Ngl, boop did come to mind while looking at this, not sating anyone copied the designs or anything, but yeah there sure is some resemblance. Good thing about this board is no one can call it a metal rectangle (unless viewing from the top.)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline byebye.Disco

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 05:49:53 »
In my opinion, this board is not like BOOP. The styles of the two boards are completely different. The only thing that looks a little similar is the arc of the side. However, BOOP uses the extra part of the lower shell to adjust the slope, and the slope of this board seems to be adjusted by the size of the gradient before and after. If the arc of the side is similar, Then I think BOOP prefers an enlarged Rama macropad M6

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 07:40:03 »
I don't see this as a Boop clone either.

It like it, but same as above, I would prefer a version without the badge (but still with the small rgb strip).
I do prefer a centered USB port, but that's very personal.

However a hotswap only fixed layout is a firm No from me.
If you insist on a hotswap PCB only, then at least provide Stepped Capslock, Split Backspace and a 6.25 and 7u bottom.
This is totally possible and it should be the minimum to support as these are very popular options.

Offline Young777

• Pixelspace studio
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 08:26:02 »
I don't see this as a Boop clone either.

It like it, but same as above, I would prefer a version without the badge (but still with the small rgb strip).
I do prefer a centered USB port, but that's very personal.

However a hotswap only fixed layout is a firm No from me.
If you insist on a hotswap PCB only, then at least provide Stepped Capslock, Split Backspace and a 6.25 and 7u bottom.
This is totally possible and it should be the minimum to support as these are very popular options.
Because there is per key RGB, it is not supported

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 10:26:24 »
Matrix boop65

Hi there,

Capsule did not borrow anything from Boop65 and in no way a copycat. This project have no connection with Matrix. The concept behind two designs are completely different.

Also, Pixelspace's Capsule started more than 1 year ago and long before Boop 65 was released. 8 rounds of prototyping are a good proof of this.

And somehow you ''don't know'' the expected price...
Might as well just write get cucked international buyers

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 11:55:41 »
Matrix boop65

Hi there,

And somehow you ''don't know'' the expected price...
Might as well just write get cucked international buyers

Price will be higher end of 65%. But like I mentioned, we don’t have pricing available from Pixelspace. Both CN and International pricing are not available yet. Will share it here ASAP when we have them.

Offline X.X.X

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 09:00:25 »
dope design!

Offline Al3417

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 02:29:52 »
very interested, hopefully the price is reasonable

Offline Mushroom

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 11:22:57 »
good work
I ll keep an eye on it.

Offline dokternik

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 16:53:22 »
Yes please.

Offline Nurseh

• Sorry for always apologizing
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 17:53:49 »
My interest has been peaked  :eek:

Offline guzmanelmalo

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 16:25:44 »
No way… I need this keyboard as it suits nicely with my Bowie LP collection

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Offline CrazyNun

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 07:23:07 »
I saw a few renders of thios board last year, i think it was used for some keycap sets on KBDfans. I asked about it here and reddit but no one knew anything. Interested to say the least.

Offline Hentoys

Re: [IC] Pixelspace Capsule (65%) | New E-Yellow Colorway
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 19:00:41 »
if this is being compared to the Boop 65 then what about all the other square rectangles looking pretty sus to each other.

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 04:38:45 »
Due to the constraints of the internal structure, the kit cannot be screw-free on the base. Thus, the kit uses stickers to conceal the screws on the bottom, which will be cleaner in terms of visual experience. However, the disassembly of the base still requires removing the foot stickers first (extra foot stickers will be provided). That being said, the kit will provide a hot swappable PCB with per-key RGB to reduce the chances of having to take apart the kit. Considering this advantage of hot swappable PCBs, as well as the convenience for enthusiasts to assemble it, we decided to sacrifice soldered PCBs and the greater range of layouts. The PCB will be 1.2mm thick; the thinner design will give the PCB more of a poppy feel to the overall kit. Stabilizer shims will be provided to compensate for the thinner PCB.

Let me tell you that I don't really agree with this approach. Soldered PCBs are not an "advantage", they are rather a "choice": and everyone should have the opportunity to make their own.
Offer both options and let everyone choose as much as they like.
I hope this decision is changed and there is room for other layouts, and I hope ISO support is included.
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline Akele

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 11:09:46 »
Let me tell you that I don't really agree with this approach. Soldered PCBs are not an "advantage", they are rather a "choice": and everyone should have the opportunity to make their own.
Offer both options and let everyone choose as much as they like.
I hope this decision is changed and there is room for other layouts, and I hope ISO support is included.

The lack of an ISO compatible solder PCB is a disappointment to me too. It's a shame as it's such a nice design, but lack of ISO is a deal-breaker for me.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 March 2022, 12:47:40 by Akele »

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 22:22:47 »
We plan to have a 2-stage GB. In-stock sale will have ANSI Hotswap version only. Pre-order will support both Hotswap/Soldered and ANSI/ISO.

Also, would like to share some pictures of new E-yellow color.

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 00:40:04 »
Could you please add 7u support with two 1.5us and a 1u on the left and one 1.5u on the right

Offline superjackie

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 04:32:01 »
cool board. interested!

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 05:37:57 »
Really cool design to bad it has all that off putting branding all over it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Krhosyn

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 08:26:14 »
Love this design, wallet isnt ready for it but i think it looks awesome and really unique. Definitely will be watching this one when i'm ready to commit to a more luxurious board  ;D

Offline Akele

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 17:40:56 »
We plan to have a 2-stage GB. In-stock sale will have ANSI Hotswap version only. Pre-order will support both Hotswap/Soldered and ANSI/ISO.

Thanks for the response: great to hear that the board will support ISO layouts on the soldered PCB. I look forward to the pre-order GB!

Offline lowercaselena

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 08 April 2022, 07:55:08 »
this is really cool, watching this in case i become a millionaire in the meantime lmao

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 08 April 2022, 10:18:14 »
e-yellow looks like it would be great on gmk fenglisu

Offline neoknob

• Neo knob
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 09 April 2022, 04:54:31 »
Wow it looks amazing and sturdy

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 10 April 2022, 16:09:21 »
Please add alu plate

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 20:30:29 »
this is really cool, watching this in case i become a millionaire in the meantime lmao
We will have very affordable versions for international GB and review samples will be sent out soon.

Offline keebsalad

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 17 April 2022, 12:40:09 »
looks sick

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 17 April 2022, 20:22:57 »
Some updates, first batch of production Capsule units will be ready soon. We will send them for review! Stay tuned!

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 20:28:13 »
Hi guys,

We plan to send review units to following youtubers/streamers:

Taeha, 3ildcat, MechMerlin, LightningXi, Alexotos, Switch and Click, Kwerty, DBOKey, Clickbait

Feel free to join our Discord for more notification about when the stream will happen!

Offline DirtyGingy

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 21 April 2022, 15:04:13 »
This project looks pretty good. Though, I am worried about when it runs versus my budget

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 15:47:07 »
This project looks pretty good. Though, I am worried about when it runs versus my budget
Price will be announced and shared here in the next few days, during or after all the reviews come out on Twitch and YouTube.

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 23:00:14 »
Review units are coming to our warehouse soon and will be forward to reviewers ASAP.

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 21:35:43 »
Hi everyone,

Would like to share more detail about Capsule's package:

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 23:07:51 »
Updates about samples:

Our warehouse has received them. Will be shipped out to reviewers soon!

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 03 May 2022, 22:59:13 »
PVD Brass decoration stripe of final product:

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
Hi everyone,

We updated post with Pixelspace's Sale Plan and many more product photos, please check main post:

Sale Plan

Please note this is a sale plan and subject to change. Will be finalized when GB happens.

Sale format

Pixelspace's current plan is to offer Capsule in two rounds:
► R1 (In-stock): FCFS, around 200 in-stock units ready to ship
► R2 (Groupbuy): regular GB format with more configurable options and minor design changes, including more layouts, soldering PCB, ai03 Daughterboard

Estimate Pricing

► R1 (In-stock): Anodized version: ~$410, Electrophoresis: ~$430
► R2 (Groupbuy): not finalized yet, but target to get them under $400

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
Hi everyone,

Review units has been shipped and many of them have received them already. We will share stream date once we have them. In the meantime, you can also follow them to watch unboxing and learn about build stream time there. 

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
Hi everyone,

LightningXi will be streaming Pixelspace Capsule build on Saturday May 21st at 9PM ET. Stay tuned at https://www.twitch.tv/lightningkeyboards/!

Offline Wonton

Does this keyboard have ESD protection?

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
Does this keyboard have ESD protection?

Yes, the main PCB has ESD protection.