Author Topic: Model M - Silence of the Space (stabiliser)  (Read 3313 times)

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

Model M - Silence of the Space (stabiliser)
« on: Thu, 23 September 2010, 14:53:20 »
This is nothing like a serious mod but it can make life easier, so I thought I would share.

Notes before you proceed:
1. The space key is different from other keys. It's sturdy, bulky and generally rude, which is the reason we're doing this in the first place. Don't try to yank it off with a knife (DON'T) or anything that you would be able to break if you wanted to or you can hurt yourself. (Picture 1).
2. If you really care, make sure you aren't leaving scratches on the key while leveraging it. Again, you aren't using a knife to do it, period.
3. There's an earthing (grounding) wire under the space key (Picture 2), so please don't pull. You could tear off the wire.
4. Apply only a thin wrap of paper tape (single or double) on the stabiliser (Picture 3) or you may have to repeat the procedure (I did).
5. Best way of putting the space key back on: hover gently, making sure the key is facing the right position. The side where the stabiliser is attached is the rear. Make sure the wire will fully hide under the key as you lower it. Make sure the stabiliser touches the floor. Proceed gently so that the stabiliser slides in place as the space bar clicks in its own. Tap a couple of times to make sure the outcome is acceptable to you (which may be somewhat discretionary because the wrap will alter the key click).

If you can't comfortably depress the key, use less wrap. If you feel no difference, use more. If you like the result, be good and tell the other people (make sure they don't try to leverage the space bar with a kitchen knife or anything that could break and hit them).

The pincers you see in one of the pictures are used for replacing springs. You can remove a spring and put it back in position with your bare hands but most likely you won't be able to make the key clicky without using a tool. So use your hands to put the spring on the white bolt which protrudes from the bottom of the black cylinder hole you see after removing a key. Turn it clockwise with your fingers (carefully) to make sure it will stay. If the spring stays in place, put the pincers in the hole, grasp the spring somewhere near the base (but not too low) and pull it downward. The key won't feel exactly the same (it will be slightly lighter) but it will be good enough.

I know this method isn't ideal but I would go crazy trying to do it with a bamboo stick.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 September 2010, 14:54:35 by NewbieOneKenobi »