Author Topic: Cherry MX vs Gateron vs Others (Outemu, Kailh, Topre)  (Read 86959 times)

Offline validifyed

Cherry MX vs Gateron vs Others (Outemu, Kailh, Topre)
« on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 12:24:12 »
So my main question regards Gateron vs Cherry, but im happy for people to talk about others too.

I see with fair regularity people on forums talking about how they chose to make a switch from Cherrys to Gateron, and I wonder why? From what I can tell they aim to be as close to cherry as possible, so what is the difference?

I also would love some opinions in terms of build quality, Cherry are well known for high quality control and product life time (and I have no doubt others like the ALPS clones and Topre have similar standards), but to a newbie like myself it seems as if the "Cherry Clones" ie.. Gateron Outemu and Kailh are more likely to have worse build quality as they dont have the same reputation. Although they seem to be selling well nonetheless.

Why do you prefer one over the other, or do you see no difference?

Offline Faeja

• more gg more skill
Re: Cherry MX vs Gateron vs Others (Outemu, Kailh, Topre)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 12:28:38 »
Gaterons are actually smoother than cherry switches. I think they have lighter springs?

Leopold FC750R

Offline validifyed

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 12:37:25 »
Gaterons are actually smoother than cherry switches. I think they have lighter springs?

From what I have seen, the same colors have the same actuation forces, but the bottoming out force and the mechanics of the switch might make them feel different?

EDIT: Some of the keys have same force, some of them are ~5g lighter. Possibly makes all the difference?

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 12:57:35 »
The Gateron browns in my Magicforce seem to be a bit more tactile then the Cherrys in my Quickfire and they honestly seem a little bit scratchier and heavier. So they're close, but a little different.

Similarly, Cherry blues/greens seem to be a little bit more tactile then my Kailh blues

In general though, it comes down to the quality of the switch for me; I'd rather have a Cherry or Gateron keyboard, since Kailh switches have been shown to have some issues. If the price is right I don't really have issues with Kailh, though
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:48:21 »
are you comparing the new Cherry RealKey's too?

Offline validifyed

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:07:15 »
are you comparing the new Cherry RealKey's too?

Ill be honest and say I had no idea what these are. I cant really see the point given the price though, as I dont consider myself a particularly "hardcore" gamer - ill take the extra 19ms delay I think. I cant imagine the price will be all too good for these RK keys.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:28:25 by validifyed »

Offline lisq199

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:52:24 »
Gateron blues are a little heavier, clickier and louder than Cherry blues.
Geteron reds and blacks are A LOT smoother than Cherry reds and blacks.
Gateron yellows are pretty much identical to Gateron blacks.
Gateron clears are like really light Gateron reds.
Gateron browns are a little smoother than Cherry browns.

Kailh brown, red and black switches are somewhere in the middle between Geteron and Cherry in terms of smoothness.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:57:17 by lisq199 »

Offline lisq199

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 15:23:05 »
As for Topre switches, I think deskthority describes it the best: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Topre_switch#Key_feel

Offline dtaflorida

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 16:57:37 »
The housing switch tops on Outemu are cheap. I bent the thin part where there is a gap for the lighting when pulling up some Outemu blue RGB switches from a CIY. Gateron RGB switch tops are stronger, haven't bent one yet. The difference in amount of plastic used is noticable, Outemu is cheap as.

Offline validifyed

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 17:09:03 »
The housing switch tops on Outemu are cheap. I bent the thin part where there is a gap for the lighting when pulling up some Outemu blue RGB switches from a CIY. Gateron RGB switch tops are stronger, haven't bent one yet. The difference in amount of plastic used is noticable, Outemu is cheap as.

Good to know, I suspected something along those lines, but its good to have confirmation that Gateron is above the rest of the cheaper copies, and more at the level of main line switches.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 17:15:19 »
Gaterons are renowned for feeling significantly smoother than new Cherries, I saw a close up of two switches next to eachother and the Gaterons plastic was much smoother compared to the MX which looked rough and bumpy in comparison.

The Gateron Blues for example, are said to have sharper tactility and a louder, higher pitched, click.

Offline Keycap

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 23:35:59 »
My brand new Outemu Black switches feel very similar (if not, identical) to genuine, decade-old Cherry MX Blacks that are broken in. They do have some scratchiness to them when first used, but it seems like they're starting to become more smooth, even after using them for only a week or so.

I can't exactly speak for the reliability of Outemu Blacks, though. I'll be replacing them with Cherry MX Clears, most likely.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 12:06:09 »
Kailh's reputation for quality is gradually improving after a somewhat rocky start. My vague impression from reading Google Translated sources is that, in Asia, they're slowly coming to be regarded as a more reliable choice than other "domestic" (i.e. Chinese) switches, if also a little bit more expensive. Of course, as with any switch, if you get it in a keyboard that, itself, has poor QC or design flaws, you're going to have a lot of problems.

Outemu switches are very cheap, but they seem to do the job well enough for many people. The blue ones also win some fans for having a more pronounced click than the equivalent switches from other manufacturers.

I don't think one should necessarily assume that Gaterons are a higher-quality switch. They do have a lot of fans, but their support comes mostly from their feel rather than any information about long-term reliability. Some people have run into trouble with them, at any rate.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline b0f0

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 13:22:12 »
There are also Greetech switches, I have them on my Ergodox.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 15:22:32 »
There are also Greetech switches, I have them on my Ergodox.
Greetechs aren't bad, apparently they are OEM's of the KBT Switches.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 16:00:45 »
I can only  tell you my experience with browns; I have Cherry and Gateron.  The Gaterons are a little lighter in comparison, and yes a tad smoother I think.  I have had some issues  with switch chatter, specifically with the space bar.  There are firmware updates which did little to fix this.  I adjusted the bounce time in  the registry and this is improved about 85 percent.   

I've noticed less ping on the Gaterons vs Cherry.  This drove me nuts.  This is not an entirely fair comparison because the Gaterons are on a  V60 and the Cherrys on a Poker 3.

I think my  preference is ever so slightly toward Gateron.   But  I alternate back and forth to whatever  feel like that  day.   I like the Gaterons a little better because there is less resistance.  In the beginning just resting my fingers on the home row would press keys, but you learn to compensate.  I think no matter what board you get you eventually compensate.  With that said, I once bought a board with Cherry clears which  I hear people rant and rave about, and I knew in about 30 seconds that I hated it and didn't wanna learn to compensate.  It's all preference so you have to take other's opinions with a grain of salt. 

Also, I don't know of any Gateron boards that come with quality keycaps, and this makes a big difference in  the typing feel.  Spending 40 bucks or so is a worthwhile investment  in my opinion on better keycaps. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.