Author Topic: [IC] GMK Black (CR) Ergodox/Planck kit  (Read 5041 times)

Offline scud80

[IC] GMK Black (CR) Ergodox/Planck kit
« on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 12:42:16 »
I’m probably not alone among Ergodox users in wishing I had the option to use more GMK sets.  In particular, to my knowledge no sets thus far that have used black (color code CR) as a base have offered an Ergodox kit at all.  There are quite a few such sets: Miami Nights, Demonic, Signal (Blue on Black), Originative/White on Black (currently on Massdrop), etc.  There are also other sets, such as the current Monochrome group buy, that could easily use it.  So, I would like to get a CR Ergodox kit produced.

Here is my proposed kit:

The accent colors match Miami Nights, Demonic, and Signal.  I’d be open to adding a fourth if enough people want one and can agree on which one, but three is fine with me.  The 2/3/4 profile for the thumb cluster 1u keys isn’t really standard, but it provides coverage for Planck/Preonic with only 1 additional key needed (R4 2u) which reduces the overall cost of the kit.  I’ve put 2/3/4 on my Ergodox and didn’t really notice much of a difference; however, I don’t actually use the columns of 1u keys in the thumb clusters much at all.  They could be the more standard 2u everywhere but it would require adding four R2 keys plus a pair of R3 and R4 keys for Planck support (8 keys total).  Obviously, adding more keys will raise the price, and 8 keys is about 16% of the current size.

Speaking of pricing, it’s still TBD since it will depend on the final constitution of the kit.  Being standalone, it will be a bit higher than Ergodox child kits.  I am already organizing proxies to handle the transactions for the USA, Europe, and hopefully Asia.  This is one of the questions on the form, so that I can let them know the number of potential kits sold.

I would like to run the GB in a week or two and here is a form to register your interest in it, along with options you would prefer:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1s4MJlukIuu_B2FhdtVRy4fWmav24kVB9NnoPTGNhLXk/edit

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
Re: [IC] GMK Black (CR) Ergodox/Planck kit
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 17:50:10 »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I hope this set can exist. Dox sets have struggled lately. I think it's because we haven't had a proper Dox GB in like two years. Just mass-produced stuff and scavenged part builds.

Also, if you're looking for more colors, there's Tokyo Nights which just launched. Those colors would be potentially neat. Alternatively, you could go with white to match GMK WoB sets. though, I'm not sure that I like that idea.

My take: don't change or add anything. get the price down as much as possible. So, after some Reddit banter, I'm wondering if including a set of WoB alphas isn't something to consider. It might broaden the appeal of this kit and still allow the mods to serve as an extension to several other sets.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 September 2018, 20:07:09 by yinzer »

Offline smurkcity12

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 20:53:18 »
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I hope this set can exist. Dox sets have struggled lately. I think it's because we haven't had a proper Dox GB in like two years. Just mass-produced stuff and scavenged part builds.

Also, if you're looking for more colors, there's Tokyo Nights which just launched. Those colors would be potentially neat. Alternatively, you could go with white to match GMK WoB sets. though, I'm not sure that I like that idea.

My take: don't change or add anything. get the price down as much as possible. So, after some Reddit banter, I'm wondering if including a set of WoB alphas isn't something to consider. It might broaden the appeal of this kit and still allow the mods to serve as an extension to several other sets.
Well I got an n9 set from the most recent terminal GB that I'd say was a proper one imo. But either way I'll probably but this set to because I gotta have more dox sets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline young_won

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 23:41:45 »
i'm interested in

and i Completed Google Docs

Offline scud80

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 16:24:27 »
welp, given that i only got 17 responses on the form this is pretty much a no-go.  time to explore other alternatives.  thanks for checking it out at least.  to those that provided an email i'll drop you a note if anything further happens concerning the kit.

Offline yinzer

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 20:47:00 »
welp, given that i only got 17 responses on the form this is pretty much a no-go.  time to explore other alternatives.  thanks for checking it out at least.  to those that provided an email i'll drop you a note if anything further happens concerning the kit.

You could take the idea to our corporate overlords at Massdrop HQ and see if they'd run it as a complete WoB set. They're running a normal GMK WoB set now, so they might be into it.

Offline garbo

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 14:58:35 »
You could take the idea to our corporate overlords at Massdrop HQ and see if they'd run it as a complete WoB set. They're running a normal GMK WoB set now, so they might be into it.

Adding white legends would kind of defeat the point, no? WoB might be the most common thing that the kit matches, but limiting it to that doesn't really help if a set-neutral version doesn't have enough interest in the first place.

Offline wangledorf

• Formerly pewing
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 22:42:58 »

You may want to give it more than 2 days before coming to a conclusion. I'm super interested in this and would likely purchase a 2 or 3 sets but only get on GH every so often so I didn't fill out the form.

Edit: Just realized the form is still live so I did fill it out just now.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 September 2018, 22:44:40 by pewing »

Offline yinzer

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 11:39:51 »

Adding white legends would kind of defeat the point, no? WoB might be the most common thing that the kit matches, but limiting it to that doesn't really help if a set-neutral version doesn't have enough interest in the first place.

To be clear, I just meant WoB alphas, not mods. The modifier keys would still be blanks, keeping their utility.

I put that out there because making it a complete set would potentially broaden the appeal. It's hard to gauge the amount of ergodox users that already have GMK WoB, Stormtrooper, Demonic, or Miami Nights. So, including the alphas might make this set more viable by widening the group of potential buyers. It definitely comes with a but at a price increase, but it might be the difference between it being made or not.

Generally speaking, I'm not in favor of including alphas in with ergodox sets. But, this isn't like a bigger GB where there will be a base set concurrently running that matches it.

Offline juliandoucette

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 18:30:34 »
I'm interested. Black and/or N9.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 17:58:30 »
I'm interested. Black and/or N9.
The currently running GMK blanks group buy is your best bet for CR and N9, I believe both of those have met MOQ for the keys needed for an Ergodox