Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1551 times)

Offline coolcat

Hello!
« on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 19:41:21 »
Hey.

I have been reading topics hear and I have been interested in getting a AEK or AEK II. Or maybe a newer keyboard with MX blues. I've read that the CM quickfire rapids are good. I was gonna get a Das but you guys say that the newer ones are not very good. Im tired of using my slippery aluminum apple keyboard. Any suggestions?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 19:43:17 »
Oh you came to the right place for opinions about keyboards!  If you don't like slippery keys get something with PBT caps!
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 20:46:00 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You are spoilt for choice, really.  Presumably you have a Mac - most mech keyboards work fine on a Mac, even if the key cap legends are not exactly the same.

I have a Ducky Shine (version 1) which I use on my Mac - works fine.  I used a CoolerMaster QuickFire Rapid for a little while - worked fine.

Do you want backlighting?  Numeric keypad?  Particular layout (ANSI, ISO, Mac)?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline coolcat

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 05:15:25 »
Actually my graphics card on my 1,1 mac pro went bad. So i use my PC until I get a new radeon 5770. I don't really care for blacklighting but I want ANSI. Something without a keypad would be fine as I have little room at my desk.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 20:37:54 »
Hey man welcome to Geekhack! CM Storm Quick Fire Rapids are great. New Das are hit and miss due to them changing manufacturers.
I love Elzy

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 11:16:35 »

Yeah, Nothing but good words about the CM Storm QF round here. I should probably get me one at some point...
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers