Author Topic: Hi all (Spare Lexmark Model M2 space bar, anyone?)  (Read 1441 times)

Offline wzurst

Hi all (Spare Lexmark Model M2 space bar, anyone?)
« on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 09:51:28 »
Hi everybody,

I'm new here so I guess I first introduce my keyboards.

I currently own these two: An IBM Model M from 1988 (1391403) and a Lexmark Model M2 from 1994 (1395707) and of course a bunch of cheap rubber domes I try not to use.
At work, we have Cherry G80-3000LSCEU, which is a really nice keyboard, but I still prefer the Model M, because I like the "heavier" feel (MX blue feels kind of cheap, actually, but maybe that's just the G80-3000 being not such a rock solid device as the Model M).

I have been using the IBM for a while, and I'm really happy with it. At some point I bought the Lexmark and it actually did work (unlike many other M2, I heard they're infamous for having broken capacitors), but as part of the cost reduction in this series, the stabiliser bar of the space bar is made from plastic rather than metal and broke off really quickly after I tried cleaning it.

I'd be happy for hints how to repair this (I'll upload photos, if necessary, as soon as I can get my hands on a camera).
Alternatively, if someone has a spare M2 spacebar and would be willing to send it to me (I'm located in Germany), that would be really nice.
Currently, the spacebar is very wonky and doesn't work if pressed anywhere except the middle. I therefore decided not to use the keyboard until it's repaired.

Best,
wzurst

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hi all (Spare Lexmark Model M2 space bar, anyone?)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 16:29:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You might like Cherry MX greens - they are much stiffer blues (but, some would say, still not buckling spring).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline wzurst

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 03:00:33 »
Hi,

I'll give them a shot when I find some.
That said, I always wanted to try typing on a Model F, but could never get my hands on one.

Can you recommend where I should post about my existing keyboard problem, by the way (with the new user restrictions and all)?
I really want to use it now, after having had it in the drawer for about two years without being able to use it...

Best,
wzurst

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 03:15:08 »
Not having one, unfortunately, I am unable to offer a suggestion.  If no-one else has chimed in in this thread, try starting a new thread in the keyboards section.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ