Author Topic: Left-handed 96 keys keyboard plate  (Read 2901 times)

Offline online

Left-handed 96 keys keyboard plate
« on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 09:38:50 »
Hello,

I want to make a 96keys left-handed  keyboard, so I decided to use cases already on the market and make a plate for me to handwire it.

I never done this before, but I managed to made DFX, SVG and STL by using KLE and Keyboard CAD Assistant. However, it missing screw holes to fit in the case I wanna use, which is a case with standard 96keys screw holes.

Case: https://mehkee.com/products/96kee?variant=47768389775

Plate file I have right now:
194715-0

Is there anywhere I can find a 96 keys plate template with screw holes that I can modify?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: Left-handed 96 keys keyboard plate
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 10:15:23 »
You can use swill's builder to design any plate you like from the keyboard-layout-editor.com source.

I make a quick mock up of your plate but I haven't quite understood how are you splitting the spacebar there.
Also, you're using a ISO enter but your Left shift is long. Are you sure about that?
Anyway here's the KLE.

Once you've imported the raw source into swill's builder you can add screw holes as custom polygons - cut - circle. [0,0].
If you need help, just show where you want the holes, I'll help you figure out.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline online

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 11:38:39 »
You can use swill's builder to design any plate you like from the keyboard-layout-editor.com source.

I make a quick mock up of your plate but I haven't quite understood how are you splitting the spacebar there.
Also, you're using a ISO enter but your Left shift is long. Are you sure about that?
Anyway here's the KLE.

Once you've imported the raw source into swill's builder you can add screw holes as custom polygons - cut - circle. [0,0].
If you need help, just show where you want the holes, I'll help you figure out.

Thanks for reply.
I prefer to have a long shift key and iso enter key for aesthetic but thank for pointing it out. :)
This is the layout I'm going for with split spacebar 2.25 - 2.75 - 2

I tried the swill's builder to add screw holes to the plate, but I don't have the exact data of where the holes should go to fit into standard 96 keys case.
Is there anywhere I can obtain the data?
194718-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 April 2018, 11:40:37 by online »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 12:20:20 »
No, but it's easy to eyeball that.
See how every hole is right in between switches.
For example the top left one is 2u from left and 1u from top. Convert that in millimiters and you have your first hole.
Set the shape to [-x,-y] so the starting point is the top left corner. Now circle centers would be exactly the number of units of a single switch.
To clarify, again the top left hole is 2u from left and 1u from top, so your first circle center is actually [19.05*2,19.05] or [38.1,19.05] to abbreviate.
Keep adding holes according to this rule and you have your plate. If need any more help, be sure to ask.

Offline online

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 12:32:12 »
No, but it's easy to eyeball that.
See how every hole is right in between switches.
For example the top left one is 2u from left and 1u from top. Convert that in millimiters and you have your first hole.
Set the shape to [-x,-y] so the starting point is the top left corner. Now circle centers would be exactly the number of units of a single switch.
To clarify, again the top left hole is 2u from left and 1u from top, so your first circle center is actually [19.05*2,19.05] or [38.1,19.05] to abbreviate.
Keep adding holes according to this rule and you have your plate. If need any more help, be sure to ask.

Thanks so much for your help. I think I got what I wanted.
I added screw holes into standard 96 plate based on this reference and got this. Then, applied the same screw hole data to my lefthanded plate, and removed holes that clashes with key switch.

Screw hole dimension is set to 4mm to give margin. Any comment would be appreciated.:)

Thanks again, for pointing me in the right direction.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 April 2018, 12:34:52 by online »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 12:41:03 »
If I recall correctly, screws are M2, so 4mm holes should be more than enough.
It looks like the reference plate has more holes than actually needed, judging from the case you showed, and those holes seem to belong to a poker plate.
Your plate looks fine to me, perhaps you can print it on paper and check against the case, if you already own it.