Author Topic: Hello from Singapore!  (Read 3492 times)

Offline NexusKaiser

Hello from Singapore!
« on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 11:54:19 »
HELLO GEEKHACK! Just a humble student here from Singapore trying to survive on a tight budget whilst indulging in this relatively expensive hobby, among a few others :p Anyways, although this is my first post, I've been browsing through GH a lot ever since I fell in love with my Filco MJ2 TKL with MX Browns at the end of last year, as well as having one of Bpiphany's HID Liberators en route to me in the mail! Inevitably, like all my other hobbies (audio and cycling), my hands are itching to get tweaking away at my keyboard :-X Future plans include trying MX Clears (and Ergo Clears) and voyaging into the endless chase for unique keycaps ;)

Hope to make some new friends here through our shared passion for mechs :)
nd I know they're quite a few other  Singaporeans around here, so here's a loud SHOUTOUT to all of you! :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 11:56:51 by NexusKaiser »

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
Re: Hello from Singapore!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 12:02:09 »
Welcome to GeekHack. It appears that you already know quite a bit about our shared hobby. I think browns are a great place to start, and a nice feeling switch (some here disagree). I only have experience with Browns, but I'm building a custom keyboard with Green switches.

Prepare for your wallet to be consumed. We've got it all: Custom keyboards, Korean keyboards, custom keycaps, keycaps shaped like Iron Man's helmet with glowing eyes. Filco is arguably one of the most mod-friendly keyboards due to the sheer (comparatively) number of aftermarket parts, so you chose a good keyboard to start with for modding. Switches are a matter of personal preference, and if you find you don't like a certain switch, once you reach 60 posts, you can sell it here to another member for money to buy another keyboard (or textbooks if you need them).
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 14:56:44 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There are a few unique keycaps out there, literally - good luck finding some ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline NexusKaiser

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 21:22:25 »
Thanks for the welcome guys! Haha I know what you mean rowdy, CCs are one in a million but they're mighty attractive pieces :P

inteli722: I see in you're sig that you're looking for an Oktoberfest MX, there's one on the bay going for $30... people flipping these jewels? IDK how much they're supposed to go for anyway so who am I to say :P
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clack-Factory-Oktoberfest-Keycap-Cherry-MX-Click-Clack-Key-cap-/281061136470?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item41708c9856
Link just in case youre interested. I am in no way affiliated to that guy, was looking to see what the bay had to offer in terms of keycaps :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 22:53:32 »
Ha! Just wait and see how much that Oktoberfest actually sells for ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 06:44:47 »
Ha! Just wait and see how much that Oktoberfest actually sells for ...

yeah. At least he's being fair with the base, but I can see that going for a good $80
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 06:46:12 »
Hello my friend

Welcome to the SG league of GH-ers  ;)

Time to join us on VRZ if you havent already  :))

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 07:27:42 »
Yo.Ho seh bo.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 07:28:57 »

Offline NexusKaiser

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 01:43:56 »
HAHA Sup guys! If I'm not mistaken I do have a VRZ acc under the same user that I made last time... That I obviously seldom or never used haha! Hmm, does anyone arrange GB delivery for SG ppl? Seems like a good idea to share shipping if more of us are interested in particular GBs haha! And I'm waiting to go NS in May :X

EDIT: Oh wait, just saw durainello's sig xD
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 February 2013, 02:19:49 by NexusKaiser »