Author Topic: Hello from Charleston, SC  (Read 1323 times)

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
Hello from Charleston, SC
« on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 18:35:40 »
Hello!

I've been lurking on the site for a few weeks now and decided to join because today marks the day my 'Geekdom' has reached it's peak... I've always been very particular about the tactile feedback a keyboard offers and preferred a louder click and tactile feedback. I never knew why every keyboard I would try never had the resistance and "feel" I was after. My standard of reference was the old IBM Model M I used in elementary school. I've worked in an office setting or from my home office for years and have tried more keyboards than I care to admit. What is more embarrassing is the fact that I never researched why I wasn't getting what I sought after which is because I was buying crappy rubber dome keyboards. 

A few weeks ago I got fed-up with the options I had around the house and decided to get 'Google Smart' and researched the hell out of keyboards (including a lot of information sourced from this site). I learned about better key switch offerings, buckling spring, ALPS switches, blue, brown, red, black Cherry's... You name it, and I probably watched videos or read about it. lol

I couldn't find a legit IBM Model M locally in Charleston and didn't want to pay big money for a keyboard that wouldn't pass a hotel style, black-light test. I debated between a more basic Ducky keyboard with cherry blues because it is a bit more contemporary looking than the IBM style board and the Unicomp Ultra Classic (black/grey) but after countless sound comparisons and affirmation that most typists preferred the Unicomp; I decided to go for it.

It just came today (pics below of keyboard in my home office and a close-up) and I'm so thrilled with the incredible tactile feedback from the buckling spring set-up and the sturdiness of the board. After a short typing session; I did a 1 minute typing test and increased my speed from 82 wpm average to 95 on my first test! My only wish would be to have the option for black keys with white or grey legends for an even more modern look (although the more I look at the keyboard, the more I appreciate the black/grey contrast) but from my research, Unicomp's is still using either original IBM or Lexmark equipment and only had the capabilities for this type of key for a few years. I can't order the optional all black key caps because the keyboard will also be used occasionally by a peck-and-hunt typer.

Does anyone know of a company that sells black caps with white lettering for Model M/Unicomp? I don't want to dye the current caps because I'm scared of it looking like they are a DIY experiment  gone wrong.

Anyway, I've made this post about 3X longer than I originally intended because I want to keep typing! To wrap it up, thanks for this site for providing so much information and I'm glad to have joined the forum!

Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
Re: Hello from Charleston, SC
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 19:03:19 »
Welcome to Geekhack! Glad to know we have another Model M lover (not implying that I love Model Ms...I need to try one).

Plenty of people here who like Model Ms. Some people love 'em, not sure if there are people who hate them. Plenty of friendly people here who will answer any questions you may have (and some you didn't know you had until they answered them). Most of the people here are extremely friendly, though we all have different tastes in keyboards. I personally haven't tried enough to develop my taste, though I'm getting some Greens on a custom board. Some people like Cherry MX, some people like BS, some like ALPs, and a few here swear by Topre.

Don't worry about lurking. I lurked this site starting about a year and a half ago when I first found out about Mechs...

TL;DR: People here are friendly and will answer any question you may have, and WELCOME!
More

R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 19:40:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's a nice office setup :)

Discussion here about white on black buckling spring keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 04:31:33 »
thanks guys for the warm welcome! I figured there wasn't any solid options for the key cap issue since I looked high and low and didn't turn up any good options.

Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 08:42:36 »
unicomp no longer makes the white on black caps because they have to be pad printed (ink used in a dye sublimation must be darker than the plastic being sublimated on). also, the lettering tends to wear quite quickly.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.