Author Topic: [GB] Alps Throwback - Brand New PBT Dye-sub Alps Keycap Set  (Read 26987 times)

Offline chicagoboss25

• deskcandy.xyz | reddit.com/u/heroyjenkins
    • Desk Candy
[GB] Alps Throwback - Brand New PBT Dye-sub Alps Keycap Set
« on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 03:47:17 »
Hey folks!

Introducing a project which is near and dear to me as a big Alps switch fan: Alps Throwback. I have been working with Melissa at Signature Plastics to explore the idea of a PBT dye-sub keycap set for the last couple months using their 1Z Alps mount (not the same stem mold as Alpine Winter) and PBT to avoid stem breakage and fragility issues that the community experienced with previous double-shot Alps keycap group buys. The keycap set will be made in DCS profile (cylindrical like Cherry profile and with similar sculpt and height though not as thick as GMK keycaps).

One really cool thing you should know about Alps Throwback!

The stabilized keys have Cherry-style inserts, meaning if you combine Alps Throwback with the new XD60 v3.0 with Alps+MX support (disclaimer: I'm also running that group buy at the same time), you can use GMK or other PCB-mount stabilizers (like Zeal) "natively" with vintage Alps switches, which IMO is a pretty killer feature (I've been down the Alps stabilizer rabbit hole for certain builds and it can be pretty painful).

Also, that XD60 v3.0 has split spacebar support, so with Alps Throwback you can have a split spacebar 60% keyboard with GMK stabs and vintage Alps switches which is pretty insane to think about being possible in 2018 :thumb:

AESTHETIC AND INSPIRATION

This is not the flashiest keycap set in the world, no, and I know that the Alps community is small but passionate and tried to strike a balance between fun aesthetics with funky Apple M0110-inspired text-only legends and the blue accents of IBM Industrial Model M with classic go-with-any-case-color beige+grey base colorway and crispy black legends.

Here's are a couple renders by janglad on Modern M0110:

199261-0
199263-1

LAYOUT AND KITS

I developed the keycap kits with the community in mind, accommodating the most popular Alps custom layouts such as 60% (Modern M0110/HHKB, Infinity, AEK), 65% (Clueboard), Ortholinear (Planck, Preonic, Nyquist, Let's Split, all the other crazy awesome split Alps+MX boards by keebio) and TKL:

199259-2

TIMELINE

Alps Throwback GB is currently open until 7/22 on Desk Candy (US) and Mykeyboard (EU):

PRICING

This is the current pricing and order quantities (as of 7/2/2018) with potential to lower price if we hit quantities of 50 or higher on the kits.

US (Desk Candy)
  • Base: $165
  • Nav/65%/TKL: $50
  • Ortholinear: $35
  • Arrows: $15
  • Split spacebar: $25

EU (Mykeyboard)
  • Base: €165
  • Nav/65%/TKL: €54
  • Ortholinear: €39
  • Arrows: €19
  • Split spacebar: €29

200410-3

KITS NEEDED FOR KEYBOARDS / LAYOUTS

• Modern M0110: Base
  • Alps64 with AEK or Infinity Layout: Base
  • KBParadise V60: Base
  • Tenkeyless / 87-key (e.g., KBParadise V80): Base + Nav/65% + Arrows
  • Clueboard: Base + Nav/65% + Arrows
  • Planck / Preonic / Nyquist / Let’s Split: Base + Ortholinear + Arrows
  • XD60 v3.0 with split spacebars: Base + Split spacebar
  • XD60 v3.0 with split spacebars and arrow cluster: Base + Split spacebar + Arrows

We really need the community's support to bring this project to life, so huge thank you to everyone who expressed interest in the interest check and let's have a great group buy! Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 July 2018, 20:13:53 by chicagoboss25 »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [GB] Alps Throwback - Brand New PBT Dye-sub Alps Keycap Set
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 08:43:41 »
Approval bump. 
Cautionary information thread about group buys for prospective participants: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36773.0
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 10:54:34 »
not cheap, but a good idea

glwgb

if i had an ALPS build planned i'd be all over this
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline foxmancore

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:55:23 »
will join in a few days

Offline sundin

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:59:07 »
Tempting, but that's quite expensive... I could join in a few days too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:03:59 by sundin »

Offline braidn

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:20:31 »
love the color way and the potential for folks who already have a Alpine winter set or Badwrench mods. Everything mixes super well, doubly so with a Cerakote finish. Nice pairing here and here's to hoping as July wanes on, that more people stumble on this and the price lowers to around the 130 number.

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:06:06 »
Did SP provide a sample key to show what the stem and keycap thickness looks like? I'm surprised there is not more hype for a dye-sub PBT Alps mount keyset.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:28:23 »
Did SP provide a sample key to show what the stem and keycap thickness looks like? I'm surprised there is not more hype for a dye-sub PBT Alps mount keyset.

it's just DCS, so thin
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:35:08 »
1) DCS and 2) the price, probably. And Alps aficionados usually have a nice vintage set, so I bet that those guys won‘t be too hyped about this.

While the color scheme looks appealing, I think that I can‘t justify the price. Good luck with the group buy nonetheless!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 19:37:33 »

it's just DCS, so thin

1) DCS and 2) the price, probably. And Alps aficionados usually have a nice vintage set, so I bet that those guys won‘t be too hyped about this.

While the color scheme looks appealing, I think that I can‘t justify the price. Good luck with the group buy nonetheless!

wat? it says PBT Dye-sub right in the thread title.

this is a pbt alps set, is it not?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 19:44:33 »

it's just DCS, so thin

read the OP

it's DCS PBT

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 01:45:36 »

it's just DCS, so thin

Correct. PBT refers to the type of plastic, whereas DCS refers to the profile. Dye sublimation is just a method of „marking keycaps with legends“ ( https://deskthority.net/wiki/Keycap_printing).

Offline alisonica

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 05:19:27 »
So I'm not sure if I'm blind but I still don't see this on mykeyboard.eu

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 14:34:31 »

Offline foxmancore

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 05:24:11 »

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 00:42:32 »
Quick update on the group buy, we are now at 19 base kits so getting close to covering 50% of the MOQ.

200074-0

As a bit of an extra incentive to get orders in by the group buy end date, if we hit 30 orders by end of group buy period (7/22 at midnight PST), then I'll add a 2u left shift and blue enter key with no change in price :D Desk Candy will make this keycap set happen either way but let's make this happen people!

Offline mounds

• Builder of things and stuff
    • The Mounds Abides
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 18:59:08 »
Bump for GB closing soon,  7/22!
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)

Offline daviddoctorrose

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 01:33:47 »
I’m definitely going to be in for a set before it closes! Always said I’d back any alps set that came around, and this one is no different.

Is there any possibility of purchasing additional 1u blanks? Either through the GB or directly through SP? I’m in regardless, but the option for extra blanks (like with Alpine Winter) would be amazing.

Offline alisonica

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 03:39:59 »
Quick update on the group buy, we are now at 19 base kits so getting close to covering 50% of the MOQ.

(Attachment Link)

As a bit of an extra incentive to get orders in by the group buy end date, if we hit 30 orders by end of group buy period (7/22 at midnight PST), then I'll add a 2u left shift and blue enter key with no change in price :D Desk Candy will make this keycap set happen either way but let's make this happen people!

Hi, I need spacebar kits, pleaseeee 7U. i need its.

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 20:10:59 »

(Attachment Link)

Hi, I need spacebar kits, pleaseeee 7U. i need its.

There is a 7u spacebar in the base kit, but if you need extras they maybe be available standalone from pimpmykeyboard.com after the GB closes!

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 20:12:31 »
Hey folks, we are almost at 30 sets and about 30 hours to go!!! GB orders close at 11:59pm Sunday 7/22 evening PST. After then, we will place our order with Signature Plastics and you may place your order as a "pre-order" at retail pricing.

200408-0

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 20:19:11 »
I’m definitely going to be in for a set before it closes! Always said I’d back any alps set that came around, and this one is no different.

Is there any possibility of purchasing additional 1u blanks? Either through the GB or directly through SP? I’m in regardless, but the option for extra blanks (like with Alpine Winter) would be amazing.

How many would you want? In 1u I mean

Offline daviddoctorrose

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 23:54:46 »

How many would you want? In 1u I mean

ideal would probably be 5 of each row (10 of r4) in both the lighter and darker colors.

I realize its late in the game to be asking questions like this and should have asked way earlier, so that's on me, but in my experience, a few extra 1u blanks go a long way to help fill some odd boards. I know SP does 10-packs of 1u blanks normally... and if needed, i could probably do 10 of each row.  Feel free to message me on reddit too at u/djeucalyptus if its easier.

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 18:08:01 »
So did this end up getting enough to run? And if so is there any word on potential extras?

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 17:02:15 »
yes this did get enough to run, and there will be extras available once the bulk order is done manufacturing :)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 11:12:48 »
How did I completely miss this? It seems like you would have gotten a lot more orders if you had done a bit more advertising for this. No one on Deskthority knew about this at all (as far as I know) and there are many who have been asking for PBT keys for a long time.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline kr0w

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 22:43:23 »
How did I completely miss this? It seems like you would have gotten a lot more orders if you had done a bit more advertising for this. No one on Deskthority knew about this at all (as far as I know) and there are many who have been asking for PBT keys for a long time.

Did not know about this GB; would be interested in two sets of Base + Nav/65% + Arrows for KBParadise V80 if/when these become available! Please lmk

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 21:25:05 »
Waiting for the extras to hit the shelves, but in the meantime if anyone is looking to let go of a base + split spacebar order I'm available to take it over :thumb:
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline foxmancore

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 11:33:36 »
any updates?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 12:01:07 »
How could I completely miss this GB???
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 15:25:29 »
How could I completely miss this GB???

Easily, that's how.  :))

Just like I did.

Oh well...

Offline alisonica

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 06:32:31 »
I was in for two sets but i need MOAR. Where can I find extras? :eek:

Offline typischt

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 06:34:08 »
I was in for two sets but i need MOAR. Where can I find extras? :eek:
Not sure if I read it on Reddit, but the OP said that there will be some and the best way to know about them would be via e-mail newsletter on the site.
I am also waiting on some extras. :)

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 05:47:59 »
How's production on these coming along? I'm interested in extras, keen to see how they turn out.

Offline XXXXXXXX

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 12:22:55 »
How's production on these coming along? I'm interested in extras, keen to see how they turn out.

I got my set yesterday, they came out great :) Really happy with how they turned out.

I would post pictures, but I need to find some Costar stab inserts that will properly fit my wires.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 January 2019, 13:14:37 by XXXXXXXX »

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 21:09:36 »
I signed up for newsletter and unfortunately didn't get an email about it but extras are in stock!
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 23:05:04 »
I signed up for newsletter and unfortunately didn't get an email about it but extras are in stock!

Oh snap. I totally missed this somehow--so glad there are extras. Alps mount—check. PBT—check. DCS—check. Signature Plastics quality—check.

While it doesn't feel great, it's time for one of my vintage Alps boards to cough up some donor switches.

Offline Lormania

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 23:31:27 »
Holy smoly I was thinking about these! I regretted not getting in on the group buy a while ago. I thought these would garner so much more attention. I will definitely go buy a set right now. My brown alps thank you!

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 00:38:39 »

Thanks for posting, was able to pick up a set! Would've been kicking myself if I missed it twice :p
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 17:42:36 »
For those who intend to use the 6u spacebar from this set or Alpine Winter, Signature Plastics uses different stabilizer peg spacing than (centered or) off-center Cherry/GMK 6u spacebars. This makes it hard to find a 6u stabilizer wire which will work with the Alps Throwback set and unless you are using a custom PCB like me, plate mount Cherry stabs will be a must.

Looking in the Deskthority wiki, it lists the dimensions and TG3 BL-82 under keyboards with 6u spacebars.  The TG3, also known as the cop car keyboard can be found NIB on eBay for under $20 shipped. While it is not optimal to buy a whole keyboard just for the stab wire, they actually have MX Blacks and a full R1 DCS doubleshot BOW keyset. Hope this helps someone.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline menuhin

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 09:40:25 »
... TG3 BL-82 under keyboards with 6u spacebars.  ... (While it is not optimal) to buy a whole keyboard just for the stab wire...

Keyboard Confessions

Just a passer-by Jelly of this set - I'm too poor, yet aware of its design is doing something quite experimental for Alps' stabilizers.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline mwhy

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 11:10:25 »
Hi, is it possible for someone who got the set to post some pictures? I'd really be very interested how it turned out quality wise.

cheers

Offline Lormania

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 18:57:02 »
Hi, is it possible for someone who got the set to post some pictures? I'd really be very interested how it turned out quality wise.

cheers

I don't take good photos but I hope this helps somewhat

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 22:56:00 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2019, 00:24:03 by MandrewDavis »

My Classifieds Thread

Offline djeucalyptus

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 13:45:20 »

cheers

I'm a month late, but figured I'd post a few photos of my board to the thread, just in case anyone is curious! I'm pretty pleased with the quality, and have been using it daily on my smk65 keyboard for the last month or so!

216262-0

216264-1

216266-2

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 03:54:20 »

cheers

I'm a month late, but figured I'd post a few photos of my board to the thread, just in case anyone is curious! I'm pretty pleased with the quality, and have been using it daily on my smk65 keyboard for the last month or so!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Nice pics! Looks pretty awesome to me :)

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 03:55:22 »
Check your emails, folks. Some spacebars come out a bit short because of PBT shrinkage and we are going to do an ABS replacement for those who want it so trying to get a rough count right now. Thank you!

Offline Lormania

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 21:51:51 »
Check your emails, folks. Some spacebars come out a bit short because of PBT shrinkage and we are going to do an ABS replacement for those who want it so trying to get a rough count right now. Thank you!

Nice! I will keep an eye out for that email! I am planning on buying another kit from this set so is there a way to let you know so you can ship it in the same package?

Offline Applet

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 06:11:32 »
Legends looks a bit off? Further to the left than usual?