Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3496851 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #500 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 06:48:30 »
Heat guns are meant for melting solder paste,  not desoldering normal solder.

Offline iri

« Reply #501 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 07:42:48 »
hmmm, i can desolder a 104 in an hour or so. qfr is a tkl board, isn't it?
Try heat gun, it should help clear pcb of switches in few minutes.
may a welder be even faster?

hmmm, i can desolder a 104 in an hour or so. qfr is a tkl board, isn't it?
Try heat gun, it should help clear pcb of switches in few minutes.
Terrible advice, unless you'd rather have melted switches.
do you use the same desoldering iron tip to desolder bigger and smaller joints? i found that my desoldering iron removes bigger joints very effectively, but isn't that good on smaller ones; sometimes applying wick is required. or is there a technique to desolder all sizes of joints with the same tip?

also -- do you plan to upload your lubing videos? i really look forward to know why proper lubing takes 1.5 hours.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #502 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 07:45:33 »
Rofl iri. You're right, a welder is sure to speed the process up   ;)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #503 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 08:04:30 »
Ha. Yes it will be great if you only want to disassemble and not use anything at all afterwards.

Offline iri

« Reply #504 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 08:15:12 »
sure. who needs those damn switches and pcb's.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #505 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 08:32:14 »
I recently desoldered a complete 101-key board in only 15 minutes. Oh yeah, forgot to mention I was using my Hakko 808 desoldering gun.

I use the same tip for all solder joints. I usually have to add solder to smaller joints, such as LEDs, etc., to remove the solder effectively. I have never been able to use braid.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline iri

« Reply #506 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 09:42:37 »
I recently desoldered a complete 101-key board in only 15 minutes. Oh yeah, forgot to mention I was using my Hakko 808 desoldering gun.
uh huh. i can buy a $170 desoldering station any day.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #507 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 09:50:03 »
I have been using the radio shack desoldering gun working so far for me just a novice on it.  the mistakes i have made with it was all operator error not equipment malfunction.  Speaking of which any suggestions on cleaning it if it needs it??
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline iri

« Reply #508 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 09:51:48 »
use a wire brush, luke.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #509 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 09:53:44 »
When the tip gets dirty while you're soldering, you can also try wiping on a sponge that's wetted with water.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #510 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 10:21:12 »
Also, buy out Radio Shack of all the replacement tips they have. Before I got my Hakko, I would do this every time I went into Radio Shack. The tips wear out after about a keyboard-and-a-half, even with cleaning. I have some that have a hole worn through the side of the tip.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #511 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 10:22:27 »
Also, buy out Radio Shack of all the replacement tips they have. Before I got my Hakko, I would do this every time I went into Radio Shack. The tips wear out after about a keyboard-and-a-half, even with cleaning. I have some that have a hole worn through the side of the tip.

Then you're getting cheap tips. I've soldered at least 3 pokers and haven't replaced a tip and this was a soldering iron in a lab, so I'm sure I wasn't the only one using it
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #512 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 10:26:19 »

Then you're getting cheap tips. I've soldered at least 3 pokers and haven't replaced a tip and this was a soldering iron in a lab, so I'm sure I wasn't the only one using it

You were using the Radio Shack iron with bulb? There is only one option for tips for those...

in memoriam

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #513 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 10:29:02 »
The Radioshack desolder tips suck, they are made out of poor brass alloy and get all melted and deformed by the hot solder. Especially old lead free solder, will destroy them really fast.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #514 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 10:29:28 »

You were using the Radio Shack iron with bulb? There is only one option for tips for those...

Nope, a decentish Weller. It's the station with coiled iron holder, the sponge underneath and a temp dial

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #515 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 10:32:02 »
Need the standoff height on the poker case. This is where the PCB screws into th case
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #516 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 14:11:08 »
Anyone know where you can buy MX Whites or what the Chinese word is for them (I know they call them Milks) so I can find them on Taobao?  I'm thinking of getting the GH60 and putting whites on it.

Also, any recommendations on dremel tips for modding a plate so that the Cherry housing can be removed without desoldering?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #517 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 14:16:09 »
Anyone know where you can buy MX Whites or what the Chinese word is for them (I know they call them Milks) so I can find them on Taobao?  I'm thinking of getting the GH60 and putting whites on it.

I've searched high and low on Taobao, and have not found any MX White (Milk) Switches.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #518 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 14:27:04 »
Mx whites were on QWERkeys...not sure if they still are

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #519 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 14:36:17 »

Just checked and they are, but it would be obscenely expensive.  It would be cheaper to buy a Pure with whites from MechanicalKeyboards.com and harvest the switches from that than to buy the switches from Qwerkeys.  I'd almost rather just go with some cheap used Clears again, buy some used Blues and experiment with ways of muffling the click, or toss my Clear springs in Reds and use those.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #520 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 14:42:12 »
Best source for switches is through 7bit, but you might have to wait awhile for certain types.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #521 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 14:46:30 »
Best source for switches is through 7bit, but you might have to wait awhile for certain types.

Is he on here too or just DT? And the GH60 is still a little while out, so waiting a little while shouldn't be too much of an issue unless we're talking 6 months to a year.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #522 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 14:47:16 »
They have an account here, but I am not sure if they visit here as often. I think they are working on supplying switches along with the GH60 pcbs and such also.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 14:53:21 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #523 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 16:31:12 »
Can anyone link to a photo or diagram of a Poker and a Pure keyboard side by side to show the difference in key layout?  (Single picture)
Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #524 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 16:36:09 »

Just checked and they are, but it would be obscenely expensive.  It would be cheaper to buy a Pure with whites from MechanicalKeyboards.com and harvest the switches from that than to buy the switches from Qwerkeys.  I'd almost rather just go with some cheap used Clears again, buy some used Blues and experiment with ways of muffling the click, or toss my Clear springs in Reds and use those.

Are you sure the Pure has whites? They said that the new Ducky had whites and it was a mistranslation. The switches turned out to be clears. They said the same might happen with the Pures and were waiting on the shipment to verify.

Can anyone link to a photo or diagram of a Poker and a Pure keyboard side by side to show the difference in key layout?  (Single picture)

I'm at work so I can't make a single picture for you but try these links:

Pure
Poker

Pure has a shoft right shift and I think Smallfry said the top row of keys had a weird profile.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #525 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 16:38:09 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 09:10:04 by esoomenona »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #526 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 16:38:21 »
Only difference between Poker and Pure is the right shift / tilde key.

in memoriam

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #527 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 16:59:59 »
Are you sure the Pure has whites? They said that the new Ducky had whites and it was a mistranslation. The switches turned out to be clears. They said the same might happen with the Pures and were waiting on the shipment to verify.

Nope, I'm not sure.  I know the whole Clear/White thing makes for fun with Chinese orders.  I'd love some Whites, but I really don't want to spend more than $50, $60 on the high end, for them for the GH60.  If I can't find them, I'll just toss my Clear springs in the Reds I have and toss them on the GH60.  That will be free.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #528 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 17:02:37 »
Why is it Alps keyboards feel better to type on when they're in your lap?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #529 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 17:50:26 »
does anyone know what type of LEDs I should be buying for my QFR? I want to get a less bright or less harsh color. Maybe Amber or blue.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #530 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 17:58:41 »
I like these personally for LED. The 'blue lagoon' color is pretty nice.

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #531 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:16:54 »
Thanks anonemoose!  I thought there was more difference.  Maybe in the function layers?
Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #532 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:22:21 »
Thanks anonemoose!  I thought there was more difference.  Maybe in the function layers?

Yes, the function layers are different. But the only difference in physical layout is what moose pictured. :)

in memoriam

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #533 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 21:19:56 »
Why is it Alps keyboards feel better to type on when they're in your lap?

Binge, what you like to do in your lap is not really anyone's business on GH but your own :P

Offline Permeability

« Reply #534 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:21:08 »
What keyboards allow you modify the switches without desoldering? (Besides the Poker)
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #535 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:23:08 »
What keyboards allow you modify the switches without desoldering? (Besides the Poker)

I believe that it depends on the plate in the keyboard. I'm not sure a stock poker allows you to mod the switches.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #536 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:23:20 »

Most cherry boards are PCB mount

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #537 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:23:33 »
Anything that doesn't have a plate or LEDs. Sorry for not having a list :)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #538 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:24:31 »

I believe that it depends on the plate in the keyboard. I'm not sure a stock poker allows you to mod the switches.

It does except for the 7 keys that have LEDs

Caps, ~, spacebar, Rwin, menu, Rctrl, Rshift

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #539 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:35:56 »
You can change switch internals easily on
PCB mount:
Vortex Poker, Pure, Race
Cherry G80-XXXX
Plum 96, Neo Zelia

Kit boards

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #540 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:39:54 »
I'm lazy and on my phone. So I'm just going to quickly ask. Looks like the plate with ergodox is capable of switch swapping. True or false.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #541 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:52:13 »
I'm lazy and on my phone. So I'm just going to quickly ask. Looks like the plate with ergodox is capable of switch swapping. True or false.
true.. says so on the massdrop page

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #542 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 12:21:33 »
true.. says so on the massdrop page

danke mein fraulein

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #543 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 12:35:33 »
Boards with modified plates, a la WFD's Universal plate.

Offline Joxx

« Reply #544 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 12:52:39 »
Very noobish question, is it possible to buy a keycaps set and rearrange the letters around? (I own an azerty keyboard).
Ducky 9087 MX Brown | Blackwidow  MX Blue  | CM TK MX Red | Looking for a QFR MX Blue!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #545 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 12:53:37 »
Very noobish question, is it possible to buy a keycaps set and rearrange the letters around? (I own an azerty keyboard).

yes, but the profile of the keys can be different and lead to an uneven typing surface.

Offline Joxx

« Reply #546 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 12:54:51 »
So basically, it's pointless for me to buy a set of keycaps since I'll have a high chance of not having an even typing surface or am I misunderstanding?
Ducky 9087 MX Brown | Blackwidow  MX Blue  | CM TK MX Red | Looking for a QFR MX Blue!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #547 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 12:57:24 »
The profile of the a and the q caps are different. So if you swap them they'll be slightly off when you type. You can do it. But it won't be even. I had cherry alphas with OEM mods and the differences in keycap heights annoyed me so much I sold my alpha caps. You might not be bothered though.

Offline Joxx

« Reply #548 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 13:00:06 »
I most likely will be bothered by it lol. Anyway thanks for the replies, I guess I won't be able to custom my keys besides the F's and the esc button lol.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #549 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 13:00:57 »
The profile of the a and the q caps are different. So if you swap them they'll be slightly off when you type. You can do it. But it won't be even. I had cherry alphas with OEM mods and the differences in keycap heights annoyed me so much I sold my alpha caps. You might not be bothered though.

This OMG this^

I would just but a second set of blanks if possible and use those for any "off keys". You could always go with all blanks as well :)