Author Topic: Is KUL ES-87 Tenkeyless Keyboard compatible with SA keyset? vs Filco?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline DuckNorris

Hello,

Quick question if anyone here has had experience with the KUL ES-87 Tenkeyless Keyboard (Cherry MX Brown) and if it is as good as quality as a Filco Majestouch? Also, is it normal/standard key size layout to fit with SA keycap sets? Thank you very much.

Regards,
Duck

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Is KUL ES-87 Tenkeyless Keyboard compatible with SA keyset? vs Filco?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 16:38:21 »
KUL ES87 is arguably better than an MJ2 becuase it's cheaper and has slightly more features while having better build quality and the same layout

in other words, i like the es87 a lot and i think it's better than the mj2, but not by a huge margin
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 17:10:59 »
KUL has LED's on keys, not separate like Filco. Both are perfectly fine boards with standard layouts. KUL arguably has more features: DIP switches (OSX), detachable cord. Cant say I've used brown switch version in particular.

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 18:09:13 »
The KUL has a standard ANSI layout and the base set of any SA set will be compatible. SA caps will be difficult to remove without taking off the top case of the KUL, though.

Offline bryanluman

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 23:05:08 »
I have a KUL with SA keycaps and it's great! They make a very satisfying thunk when typing. The only downside is custom cases do not fit and a minor issue is that the stock keycaps suck. That's a great place to cheap out though since most people buying it will want their own keycaps anyway. I haven't had any issues pulling keys off either although mine are all R3.

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 16:02:12 »
I have SA's on my KUL87 and they work just fine without any issue.  :thumb:

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 17:17:08 »
Putting on and using SA keycaps aren't an issue. It's when you have to use a keypuller to remove them. Keys such as the escape key are very hard to remove...I guess that goes with all non floating key style keyboards.

However, with SA caps, they are easier to grab with your fingers lol!

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 18:16:06 »
Putting on and using SA keycaps aren't an issue. It's when you have to use a keypuller to remove them. Keys such as the escape key are very hard to remove...I guess that goes with all non floating key style keyboards.

However, with SA caps, they are easier to grab with your fingers lol!

In my experience, most high profile cases do not have this issue - just the KUL. And it's not just SA caps, but most caps in general (though SA caps seem to have it the worst). There is just very little clearance around the keys, which can make the board look nicer when the caps are installed, but it makes removing caps a bit of a hassle. I just remove the top case on my KUL when I want to remove caps.