Author Topic: Leopold FC500r keycaps  (Read 5620 times)

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
Leopold FC500r keycaps
« on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 12:30:47 »
Hey guys,

new to the site. Figured I should join since i just pulled the trigger on a mx red leopold (first mech keyboard :)  )   Anyway, i was wondering what a good place to get a set of red keycaps to basically replace most of if not all of the caps.  if i should have just rifled through the forum for the info myself and not posted, let me know lol
| Poker MX Red |

Offline bavman

Leopold FC500r keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 16:29:09 »
wasdkeybaods.com offers both engraved and laser etched keys. You can fully customize a 104 piece set for $50 i think. Or get a blank one for $40.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
Leopold FC500r keycaps
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 20:33:18 »
Watch out though, the Leopold spacebar is non-standard so I don't think you'll be able to find a red replacement that fits it unless you do some modding yourself. Other than that though wasdkeyboards is great, I ordered a set of green keys from them and they're great. Everything fits except for the spacebar (which I knew about when I ordered) so I have that in the original black still.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 September 2011, 20:35:24 by oneproduct »
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline N8N

Leopold FC500r keycaps
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 20:42:35 »
So?  just get a couple spare keys from someone and use the posts to mod the WASD spacebar. Takes a piece of scrap wood, a drill bit, some spare stems, and some high strength epoxy (to make a jig, and you'll need a Dremel tool and/or a wood carving knife set to prep the spacebar, and more of the epoxy to glue the stems in place.)  Done.  Don't be afraid, it's just a space bar, and if you totally f**k it up, WASD will be happy to sell you another one.

It's really not a big deal, the keyboard that I am using at work has a set of Cherry MY doubleshots and all three posts on it are epoxied on (Filco board, so centered space bar switch not offset to the right like Cherry.)  No big deal.  If it s**ts the bed, I'll either fix it or get another one.  Dive in!  Hack it up!

I'm semi-gluteally tempted to offer my services to mod spacebars, but I haven't even gotten around to "fixing" the space bar switch on my WASD keyboard yet, which I've had for well over a month now (I like the heavier weighted switches on the space bar like Cherry does.)  I've also suggested to WASD that they offer space bars with multiple posts molded in so that they'd be compatible with Cherry and/or Leopold keyboards as well as the usual Filco/Das/WASD etc. but I'm sure that he bought a whole buttload of stuff pre-launch and if that ever happens it'll be down the road a ways.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Grimey

Leopold FC500r keycaps
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 21:13:33 »
And as I discovered today KBC 104 PBT keycaps do not fit the Leopold spacebar either.  N8N, if you decide to start offering your services in space bar modding let me know as I would love to use my new space on my Leopold.
Erlang your pants off

Offline bavman

Leopold FC500r keycaps
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 21:21:17 »
You could also hunt for one that would work. I saw something, forgot where exactly, i think group buy, maybe classified where someone had a new design that fits both styles of stabilizers because it has 6 different holes where it is able to accommodate. So it exists, you just gotta find it =)

Offline Grimey

Leopold FC500r keycaps
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 22:49:25 »
Quote from: bavman;422436
You could also hunt for one that would work. I saw something, forgot where exactly, i think group buy, maybe classified where someone had a new design that fits both styles of stabilizers because it has 6 different holes where it is able to accommodate. So it exists, you just gotta find it =)

That is what I got, and it doesn't work.  See my post on IMSTO's group buy to see the picture showing the problem.
Erlang your pants off

Offline bavman

Leopold FC500r keycaps
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 11:05:10 »
Damn what a bummer. I really was thinking about getting one for my leopold.

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
Leopold FC500r keycaps
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 08:41:12 »
well looks like my spacebar will be black for the time being, haha, thanks guys
| Poker MX Red |

Offline blert

Leopold FC500r keycaps
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 17:56:33 »
According to the wiki, the Zowie Celeritas and SteelSeries 6GV2, 7G have a matching spacebar.   So if you track down that OEM source, or maybe just find a broken Steelseries/Celeritas abandoned on your doorstep you should be good to go.  Those are probably just different versions of black, though.

Offline royalsego

Leopold FC500r keycaps
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 19:14:59 »
I too pulled the trigger on a Leopold keyboard, I absolutely love it thus far, only had it for 3 days

WASDKeyboard does offer some variety, but I am also interested in key caps with distinct artwork on them... such as ripster's happy face F1 row keys...

Where would one acquire those keys?

Cheers
FILCOmj287REDmx █ LEOPOLD104v1.0REDmx █ FILCOmj2CAMO87BRNmx █ DUCKY87GRNalps

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Leopold FC500r keycaps
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 23:43:16 »
If any one needs keys modded to fit leopolds I have a listing in the Classifieds for both Spacebars and Caps Lock and Scroll Lock. I can order keys from wasd or mod what you have. If you have questions please ask.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Leopold FC500r keycaps
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 23:43:55 »
Quote from: royalsego;438477
I too pulled the trigger on a Leopold keyboard, I absolutely love it thus far, only had it for 3 days

WASDKeyboard does offer some variety, but I am also interested in key caps with distinct artwork on them... such as ripster's happy face F1 row keys...

Where would one acquire those keys?

Cheers
well you could get a custom one done by wasd. I think most of Ripsters special keys are from group buys.