Author Topic: My Filco Majestouch looks dull.....  (Read 4433 times)

Offline Slyce

My Filco Majestouch looks dull.....
« on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 07:05:15 »
Hiya guys,

I have been lurking for sometime and would now like to participate in this fantastic forum. So I figured as I am new I would just give you a little background on myself before I get down to keyboard talk!

Me myself and I: Hi I am a competitive Starcraft 2 player and you guys helped me when I was looking for some performance enhancing keys to help me do my dirty work. I play around 5-6 hours a day and so a keyboard was rather important! I would say on a slow month I go to one event and on a busy one I would attend two. I am not exactly world standard but I do OK within the UK scene. If you got any questions about me or what ever I would be happy to answer them, I am not however going to plug my team as here is not the time or place.

Now that is over we can move on to what I wanted to post about. I live in the UK and I have a Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (browns) As you guys are more than aware that keyboard is very functional but epicly boring aesthetically. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to keyboards and I wanted to get my hands on some funky key caps to put on my keyboard, now as you can imagine I never actually look down at my keyboard so I wanted to get a bit of a random assortment going on for entertainment value.

Now this is where my problem comes in... am I being daft when I say 'which row is which' now I know that may seem daft is it as as simple as 1 2 3 4 5 6 starting at the top but from the things I have been reading it is not so I have no idea which keys I should be looking at! Also you US guys have all the luck with suppliers! Where on earth can I get myself some keys that actually ship to the UK! *sad face*

I will of course upload some nice snaps of me with my sexy keyboard at events in return!

Thank you in advance for your time on this one, I tried to make the post relatively interesting as a premature thank you gesture!
Much love!
Terran player for LiNK Gaming

Offline enoy21

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 07:42:07 »
Does WASD not ship to the UK ?     If they do , then they are the way to go for all of your keycap needs.    They'll put on any design you can get into a certain file type for them to upload.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline N8N

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 08:27:35 »
If the OP uses a UK-layout Filco, I don't think that WASD has the ISO enter yet, but they are supposed to do so in a couple months.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Slyce

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 08:42:33 »
Yea I am a UK layout kinda guy! Gotta have those £ € keys!

Does anyone know of a reliable diagram which shows which keys are which shape on the keyboard please?

If that makes sense.

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 09:36:11 »
From the wiki -> All About Keys

http://www.keycapsdirect.com/images/faq/FamilyProfilesLG.jpg

http://geekhack.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20970&d=1310754679
IBM Model M on top, Topre, Cherry Corp and on the bottom Filco/Rosewill/Das.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Dvorak

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 17:04:19 »
Here's Signature plastics answer to the "which row" question:

From their DCS literature:
http://www.solutionsinplastic.com/pdfs/DCSFamily.pdf
http://www.solutionsinplastic.com/keytops.html

"row 5" is function then the rest of the keys go as follows (top to bottom:
So the bottom two rows have the same profile.

So, on my keyboard:
"row 5" is escape
"row 1" is tilde
"row 2" is tab
"row 3" is CapsLock
"row 4" is Shift
"row 4" is Ctrl

Offline eyeshield21san

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 01:34:38 »
There is also a Starcraft keycap groupbuy going on here that's going to end in 2 days. I would definitely get one of those =)

Offline Slyce

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 03:24:25 »
Quote from: dorkvader;428541
Here's Signature plastics answer to the "which row" question:

From their DCS literature:
http://www.solutionsinplastic.com/pdfs/DCSFamily.pdf
http://www.solutionsinplastic.com/keytops.html

"row 5" is function then the rest of the keys go as follows (top to bottom:
So the bottom two rows have the same profile.

So, on my keyboard:
"row 5" is escape
"row 1" is tilde
"row 2" is tab
"row 3" is CapsLock
"row 4" is Shift
"row 4" is Ctrl

Well that makes perfect sense! Stupid numbering system :P

Thank you though that is just what I needed.

Offline nikonf5

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 16:53:38 »
Actually, I found Signature Plastics key profile to be confusing and neither WASD or Das follow the same terminology.
I am hoping Filco doesnt either or ordering WASD custom keys for a Filco will be problematic.

Someone had bought a Das Ultimate years ago [no printing on the keys] and had taken them all off to wash them and then couldnt figure out which ones went in which row as he had never sorted them assuming they were all interchangeable.
He asked someone at DasKeyboard and she replied with a side picture of the 6 rows on a standard keyboard with numbers on each one to indicate which rows were "dupes".

I forgot my USB stick with my Opera bookmarks at work otherwise I would have posted the link here but I still remember it.
Basically, from bottom row to top row, the keys were numbered as 1,1,2,3,4,4 meaning the top two and the bottom two rows are identical while the rest of them are different.

I have two Das's [Brown & Blue] and have ordered replacement sets from WASD already without issues

The WASD order page for custom keycaps uses the same terminology http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/individual-keycaps.html

HTH

Offline Slyce

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 05:07:40 »
Quote from: nikonf5;429133
I forgot my USB stick with my Opera bookmarks at work otherwise I would have posted the link here but I still remember it.
Basically, from bottom row to top row, the keys were numbered as 1,1,2,3,4,4 meaning the top two and the bottom two rows are identical while the rest of them are different.

You sir are a genius!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 22:23:03 »
also WASD should be getting ISO keyboards sometime in december so if you have time to wait head there when their available

Offline nikonf5

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 11:58:06 »
Quote from: Slyce;429359
You sir are a genius!

Glad to be of service.

Here is the link I was referring to:

http://blog.bogosity.se/2010/09/12/reassembling-das-keyboard/