Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2435824 times)

Offline alh84001

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3650 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 01:21:02 »
Oh, wow. That looks delicious.

While on topic of SGI, I thought that all off them had that metal weight inside, but when I opened my up, it looks mostly the same as AT-101W. :(

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3651 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 07:05:52 »

I thought that all off them had that metal weight inside,

In my experience only the early ones had the weight bars. You can move the bar into later ones, but you have to grind down the flutes on the center post first. When I made my 2 black Dell cases my "prime" AT101s, I added weight bars from 2 older beige models.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3652 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 07:13:15 »
Thanks on the info. That it will make it that much harder to find in europe then :/ Does the actual model matter as well (041-0136-001 vs 9500900) or is it just the vintage?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3653 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 07:21:52 »

Does the actual model matter as well (041-0136-001 vs 9500900) or is it just the vintage?

I really don't know, I did not pay attention that well.

I have only had 2 bars, and I am sure that they came from AT101s, not AT101Ws.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3654 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 10:38:29 »
@alh84001: I'm curious about the metallic shield layer. My Zenith 163-73 has one of these. What if some of the protruding switch wires were to pierce the shield? Wouldn't this result in short circuits?

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3655 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 11:33:29 »
My Dell AT101W has the same one, and Apple's boards also have something like this, but only on the bottom half and it inserts into case instead of being attached to the PCB/plate.

I wouldn't say there is any chance of pins piercing it because it's relatively thin and has a layer of basically thick paper on the other side, so it is flexible enough, yet strong too.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3656 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 14:33:28 »

Does the actual model matter as well (041-0136-001 vs 9500900) or is it just the vintage?

I really don't know, I did not pay attention that well.

I have only had 2 bars, and I am sure that they came from AT101s, not AT101Ws.
IIRC they only came with '97SK models, possibly also '95SK ones (can't remember off the top of my head).
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3657 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 14:46:29 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:09:00 by alienman82 »

Offline waqar

« Reply #3658 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 15:01:09 »
new layout with ALPS build. http://imgur.com/a/6OyN9

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3659 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 15:10:45 »
That's quite slick, I dig it. Did you handwire that all or did you make a PCB?

Offline E3E

« Reply #3660 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 15:28:40 »

Sleeek~ Did you build it?

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3661 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 15:34:00 »
Just got 2 NeXTs worth of SKCM Creams in the mail. Thanks @MandrewDavis <3

Offline E3E

« Reply #3662 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 15:52:19 »

Likewise! And some caps.

Thanks man! I've been bad with getting your switches out, but I'll do that soon.  :-X

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3663 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 16:43:49 »
If anyone has a spare top (or entire case) for a Leading Edge DC-2014, I would like to buy it (I've also posted in the classified section).

Also looking for tips on how to remove the retaining clips on the flip-out feet and then replacing them after painting the plastic parts.

Thanks!

Offline E3E

« Reply #3664 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 20:47:30 »

You guys ever heard of Keyboard?

They're a professional manufacturer of keyboard!

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3665 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 21:02:32 »
Looks like some bad english translation.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3666 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 21:08:19 »
Oh. my. ****ing. god
Skcm creams + Northgate omnikey 101+ matias thin abs caps= the most orgasmic typing sound ive ever heard.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3667 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 21:13:34 »
@mike52787: Post a video with sound!

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3668 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 21:17:33 »
The micophone doesnt seem to want to work in my iphone tonight. damn.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3669 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 21:23:37 »
The ****ty mic I usually use doesent even begin to capture the sound of these babies. take a listen. sounds even better in person.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1w89iBxTr8S

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #3670 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 22:16:12 »

Likewise! And some caps.

Thanks man! I've been bad with getting your switches out, but I'll do that soon.  :-X

Glad they have found a good homes! I was going to clean the caps, but after desoldering about 5 boards, I was about over the whole thing.

Anyway, no rush on sending out the samples. I think I have already found my favorites, need to try SKCM browns to see if they take the top spot!

@Mike You weren't kidding about the sound, Alps are just so good at doing that :D
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3671 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 00:15:15 »
Local AT101W for $10, should I buy? Then I can part out the SGI I guess and mount them SKCM White Damp's in it and or sell them if I decide to keep the Black's for whatever reason and save $50. SGI caps can be $$. Plus its nice to not have 2 of the exact boards in a way.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3672 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 00:42:14 »
Local AT101W for $10, should I buy? Then I can part out the SGI I guess and mount them SKCM White Damp's in it and or sell them if I decide to keep the Black's for whatever reason and save $50. SGI caps can be $$. Plus its nice to not have 2 of the exact boards in a way.

The AT101W has very poor key caps, but other than that, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3673 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 03:47:26 »
The ****ty mic I usually use doesent even begin to capture the sound of these babies. take a listen. sounds even better in person.
Sounds a bit similar to an AEK, would you say that's a comparable sound?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3674 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 08:30:11 »
Thanks for posting the audio clip. It's difficult to interpret without calibrating the ear to your mic setup with a comparison to a more familiar keyboard recorded with the mic and keyboard in the same relative positions to each other. But that's a hassle, and if Chyros thinks the sound is similar to an AEK, that's good enough for me.

Offline Norman_the_Owl

« Reply #3675 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 09:23:21 »
Speaking of  Matias, did they cancel their PBT keycaps or what?

It would suck if we could only get new PBT alps keycaps through a group buy

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3676 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 10:55:15 »
Personally I have never used an AEK, just the AEKII. Still, the sound this board is so bassy and delicious. I love it.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3677 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 12:25:15 »
I had an AEK, and the case did have this great bassy sound. It's hard to tell if it sounds all that similar in your clip though. Hmm. Cream tactiles do have a great sound to them either way.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3678 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 13:36:01 »
Yeah, it's really hard to get a nice keyboard recording with ****ty microphones. I have had bad results in the past and, in an attempt to replicate them, I just made another recording of some Blue Alps. You can give it a listen here but it definitely doesn't do them any justice :p

I had an AEK, and the case did have this great bassy sound. It's hard to tell if it sounds all that similar in your clip though. Hmm. Cream tactiles do have a great sound to them either way.
Yeah, I really liked my AEK... before I tore it apart to put the switches into an AT101W. It's hard to say which one I liked more, to be honest. Probably the AT101W just because it has a more common layout and interface.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 September 2016, 13:39:32 by Wingpad »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3679 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 15:10:40 »
Pulled out my V60 MTS w/ SKCL Green wearing the IBM Multistation caps and I forgot how nice it is. Get's me excited for the Pingmaster, it comes tomorrow.

Also reminds me I still need to find a new PCB for it so I can get the LED backlighting going. Been almost a year. Red Backlight with these caps would look awsome :) Probably end up buying a used MTS and then selling off the parts I don't need like switches. I royally ****ed this one up :( At least I learned a lot and I have had many successful soldering jobs since, and it works at the very least with a lot of handwiring. Still awful to look at lol.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3680 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 16:02:50 »
Pulled out my V60 MTS w/ SKCL Green wearing the IBM Multistation caps and I forgot how nice it is. Get's me excited for the Pingmaster, it comes tomorrow.
SKCL green and SKCC are strongly related, but still feel quite different IMO. I found SKCC switches to have a distinct buttery feeling that SKCL don't have, and the weighting is different. That's not to say SKCC is more smooth, it's just buttery. Maybe when you get your Pingmaster you'll find something similar.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3681 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 19:23:04 »
Who among us actually uses his Leading Edge DC-2014 as opposed to putting it into a coma and harvesting its blue Alps switches?

I've several reasons for asking. The layout is actually not that bad, especially if you are inclined, as I am, to remap it to a semblance of a HHKB layout. For this, the Print Screen key is ideally placed as the Fn key, Right Ctrl is already where it belongs, and the oversized Right Bracket serves as Backspace. For remapping, I am using Orihalcon's internal Soarer's Converter, and I installed a flush-mount micro-USB connector in the rear of the bottom part of the case.

Unfortunately, the backward L Return key ruins it for me. I tend to hit the Return on the left edge, but I find that the Return key binds somewhat unless it is hit in the center of the lower part. This board could work beautifully if it only had a standard ANSI Return, and if it had that, the Right Bracket could be reduced to 1.00 unit and there would be room for the usual Backslash, which I would then use as Backspace.

Of course, I am essentially asking for a standard US ANSI layout, and I might as well get the bad switches working in my LE DC-3014. However, I do like the form factor of the DC-2014, and its acoustics are better than those of the DC-3014. The DC-2014 chassis imparts a Topre-like "thock" to some of the keys -- especially the Backspace (which I have remapped as Backslash).

On the other hand, although the doubleshot ABS caps on the DC-2014 are very nice indeed, I prefer the feel of PBT. I could replace all the alphas with PBT except the oversized Right Bracket (which I've remapped as Backspace -- and I use this a lot!), but the mods would need to stay native because of the unique layout.

I've made a couple of other modifications, including swapping out the slider and click leaf on the Spacebar switch for the same parts from a Matias Quiet switch. I also put some foam pads on the top plate where the Spacebar stabilizer inserts hit the plate. This calms and quiets the Spacebar immensely.

My other revisions included painting the bottom half of the case a graphite color using SEM Color Coat and painting the top shell a deep blue using VHT vinyl dye. I decided to experiment with this case, because I botched the job removing the Leading Edge logo badge. Fortunately, Wingpad has come to the rescue and will be sending me a spare case with an intact logo. Now I have had the opportunity to try three types of paints and four different colors on plastic keyboard cases. The VHT product bills itself as a penetrating vinyl dye, but I've already managed to scratch it (luckily on the back, which is normally hidden from view). The SEM paint had a slight tendency to run, and the coverage looked a bit uneven. I got the best results with Dupli-Color vinyl & fabric spray.

One other thing I noticed -- I use an Iogear KM switch as part of my method for sharing keyboards among computers. When I switched it momentarily to an empty port while ensuring that all the caps were seated properly on the DC-2014, when I switched back to the active computer, none of the keys would register. I tried connecting and reconnecting to no avail. I finally had to reboot to get the keyboard to register. I suppose this could be a problem at various points -- the keyboard, the internal Soarer's Converter, the KM switch, or the USB hub.

Future options I'm considering include transplanting blue Alps into a standard US ANSI chassis, such as a Northgate Omnikey 101, top- modding the white Alps in a Northgate Omnikey 101 to orange Alps (what combination of slider, leaf, and spring would be best here?), and doing a custom build 60% with blue or orange Alps.

Yes, I know -- first world problems! Nevertheless, suggestions welcome!

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3682 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 19:29:39 »
I completely switch swapped my omnikey 101 with SKCM creams, its not difficult. I was lucky enough to have screws that weren't completely covered in solder. It was actually really easy to remove the pcb. Now of course if you don't want to remove the pcb when you switch swap you could always just desolder the switches and leave the pcb attached to the plate.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3683 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 19:36:47 »
Who among us actually uses his Leading Edge DC-2014 as opposed to putting it into a coma and harvesting its blue Alps switches?
I killed two of them... so I could do this:
Future options I'm considering include transplanting blue Alps into a standard US ANSI chassis, such as a Northgate Omnikey 101, top- modding the white Alps in a Northgate Omnikey 101 to orange Alps (what combination of slider, leaf, and spring would be best here?), and doing a custom build 60% with blue or orange Alps.
I already built the 60% and I'll transfer the remaining switches into an Omnikey 101 when I eventually get one. I am also planning on building a 104-key Brown Alps keyboard at some point or another - probably cutting an acrylic sandwich-style case and using the PCB from an AT101W. Why go through all that trouble? I want to use the DSA Lightcycle keycaps in a modern layout that's not a 60% and they use Cherry stabs which means I don't have any options here. Perhaps there's a rare Ortek or Chicony keyboard but I'm not particularly fond of the aesthetics of either brand.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3684 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 19:50:37 »
I already built the 60% and I'll transfer the remaining switches into an Omnikey 101 when I eventually get one. I am also planning on building a 104-key Brown Alps keyboard at some point or another - probably cutting an acrylic sandwich-style case and using the PCB from an AT101W. Why go through all that trouble? I want to use the DSA Lightcycle keycaps in a modern layout that's not a 60% and they use Cherry stabs which means I don't have any options here. Perhaps there's a rare Ortek or Chicony keyboard but I'm not particularly fond of the aesthetics of either brand.
What do you think about the monterey k104? It has a pretty modern layout, all but the bigass enter. I have modded a BAE board to ansi enter and 1.75u backslash. Possibly use a leeku mx/alps pcb if you can find one, I still havent forund one and actually gave up looking. The only lead I got was from alienman82, and it was in china and reasonably overpriced.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3685 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 19:55:34 »
What do you think about the monterey k104? It has a pretty modern layout, all but the bigass enter. I have modded a BAE board to ansi enter and 1.75u backslash. Possibly use a leeku mx/alps pcb if you can find one, I still havent forund one and actually gave up looking. The only lead I got was from alienman82, and it was in china and reasonably overpriced.

Take the case you like most--pop an ANSI layout PCB in there. Unless the dimensions are very different, it should be fine. Actually, the later model FAME keyboards and NTC 6251 keyboards are both examples of vintage keyboards with slim cases.

That'd be a good way to go. Er, but you would have to ANSI mod them. Downside of the slim case is that typical PCBs will not fit them. You could try to find a Filco Zero full size and use it for a swap.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3686 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 20:05:37 »
What's the best way to go about ANSI-modding a board like that? Using a nibbler tool to cut out a switch socket from the plate and swapping the PCB??

In any case, I'm not particularly keen on the Monterey K104 simply because of the fact that it is kind of bulky. I could try and slim mod it but that sounds like way more work than just cutting acrylic pieces on a laser cutter. My university provides deeply discounted materials and has public-access laser cutters so I would not be paying much to go down this route. I already have a spare AT101W PCB as well. Would love to find a Leeku PCB but NKRO is largely optional for my line of work and it's not like I would be gaming on this board. In addition, I could always add re-programmability via one of Hasu's adapters as well.

You could try to find a Filco Zero full size and use it for a swap.
That would be a rather slick option... if I could find one.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 September 2016, 20:08:39 by Wingpad »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3687 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 20:24:33 »
What's the best way to go about ANSI-modding a board like that? Using a nibbler tool to cut out a switch socket from the plate and swapping the PCB??

In any case, I'm not particularly keen on the Monterey K104 simply because of the fact that it is kind of bulky. I could try and slim mod it but that sounds like way more work than just cutting acrylic pieces on a laser cutter. My university provides deeply discounted materials and has public-access laser cutters so I would not be paying much to go down this route. I already have a spare AT101W PCB as well. Would love to find a Leeku PCB but NKRO is largely optional for my line of work and it's not like I would be gaming on this board. In addition, I could always add re-programmability via one of Hasu's adapters as well.
When I did it I used a dremel tool with a small cut off wheel. It worked great. I cut the hole slightly too small on purpose and used a file to clean up the hole. I agree that the K104's case is too large, but if you're going for a fullsize, why not go for a huge board? The omnikey 101 isnt much different size-wise from the monterey.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3690 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 21:18:07 »
I'm thinking blue alps, what about you guys? I'm kinda wallethacked right now though unfortunately.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-QUIMAX-System-KM-5170-Office-Standard-Keyboard-Free-Expedited-Shipping/232082890081?_trksid=p2050601.c100085.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140211132617%26meid%3D43a604716a0040a2851d969e01998583%26pid%3D100085%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D232082890081%26clkid%3D8521694393798925062&_qi=RTM2247625
Looks very KT F&F to me Oo .
damn no way then. I had that thought but I wanted to be optimistic :D  I have seen some alps boards in this xt layout with similar caps though. Cant remember model numbers or anything though.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3691 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 21:30:12 »
When I did it I used a dremel tool with a small cut off wheel. It worked great. I cut the hole slightly too small on purpose and used a file to clean up the hole. I agree that the K104's case is too large, but if you're going for a fullsize, why not go for a huge board? The omnikey 101 isnt much different size-wise from the monterey.
Does the K104's PCB already have pins for an extra switch there?

Well the reason I'm leaning away from a traditional, vintage host is that I'd like a "floating keys" keyboard. In my opinion, DSA looks really neat when its "floating." Plus, having an acrylic case opens up some possibilities for bottom lighting. I'm not building a board with Brown Alps for the sound either, so having a 'lesser' case really isn't a big concern since I'm mostly in it for key feel. A K104 could be a viable host for a Blue Alps build but the Omnikey has traditional Alps-mount stabilizers and a metal bottom plate so, as far as I'm concerned, it's winning there.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #3692 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 21:49:34 »
I just tossed a K104 case two weeks ago :(

Only think I kept was the caps and costar-style stabs. PCB was safely recycled. 
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3693 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 22:57:51 »
Or you could just fix and use the DC-3014? Its right there and ready to go.

Typed on a ANSI SKCM Blue Packard :p

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3694 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 02:33:00 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3695 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 07:16:24 »

Well the reason I'm leaning away from a traditional, vintage host is that I'd like a "floating keys" keyboard.

As I recall, the internal assembly of an AT101 is considerably smaller than the outer case.

If you were willing to toss the top shell and do a "chop job" on the bottom shell, that might be the best and easiest solution for avoiding work and drama.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3696 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 18:10:52 »
I have searched in vain for a list of Alps-switch keyboards that have a standard US ANSI layout. I would include in this all form factors (e.g., 60%, TKL, and full-size) as well as Winkeyless or Winkey bottom rows. The important feature (for me) is a standard US ANSI horizontal Return key with a Backslash directly above Return (I would remap the Backslash to Backspace). The switches could be genuine Alps or clones (such as Matias) as long as the clones have compatible pins and Alps-mount caps.

Off the top of my head, the list would contain at least the following:

Full-size

Acer KB-101A
AEK
AEK II
Dell AT101
Dell AT101W
Leading Edge DC-3014
Matias Quiet Pro
Matias Tactile Pro
Northgate Omnikey 101
SGI Bigfoot series
Wang 725-3770

TKL

Matias Mini Quiet Pro
Matias Mini Tactile Pro
KBP V80MTS-C
KBP V80MTS-Q
KBP V80MTS-QL
KBP V80FD (white Fuhua)

60%

KBP V60MTS-C
KBP V60MTS-Q
KBP V60MTS-QL
KBP V60FD (white Fuhua)

Additions? Deletions?

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3697 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 18:17:14 »
You can add the Packard Bell T9102/T8025. Also the Flico Zero and Ducky 1087 and 1087XM.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 September 2016, 18:19:50 by Mattr567 »

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3698 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 18:20:59 »
I would consider NeXT non-ADB horizontal enter variant also an ANSI board. However, with all right alpha/mod keys being shortened on the right, this throws a wrench to your plan of remapping backslash to backspace.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 September 2016, 18:31:54 by alh84001 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3699 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 18:33:06 »
I would consider NeXT non-ADB horizontal enter variant also an ANSI board. However, with all right alpha/mod keys being shortened on the right, this throws a wrench to your plan of remapping backslash to backspace.
Same.