Author Topic: IBM Model F with with Genest Keypatch Cursor Key  (Read 1064 times)

Offline dandanflake

• Confused Bi-Product of a Misinformed Culture
IBM Model F with with Genest Keypatch Cursor Key
« on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 23:56:57 »
Just bought this off of Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/111650800421#cvip_desc.
I'm looking forward to seeing how different the Model F feels and sounds compared to the M. If anyone has any ideas as where to get a PC XT to PS/2 port adapter it would be much appreciated :)
IBM Model M 1989 1391401
Vortex Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Clears

Offline Tactile

Re: IBM Model F with with Genest Keypatch Cursor Key
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 00:20:15 »
Congratulations on snagging a model F! I have the same keyboard & bought one of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-XT-AT-to-USB-Soarers-Converter-Remapping-Macros-NKRO-Support-IBM-Model-F-/281476427201?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41894d6dc1

I think orihalcon sells them here for less than on Ebay - check the classifieds.

The adapter works great and the built-in Soarer's converter makes it even better. It's easy to program so you can have 12 function keys, control volume, or just about whatever you want. You don't need to program it, though. You can just plug in your keyboard & it'll work.
REΛLFORCE

Offline dandanflake

• Confused Bi-Product of a Misinformed Culture
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 01:17:02 »
Hey thanks :). I saw something similar to that that was PC XT to PS/2. Will using a USB port make any difference with the NKRO and functionality of that board as opposed to using the PS/2 port?
Also I hate how expensive all of the adapters are. I doubt they cost nearly that much to make.
IBM Model M 1989 1391401
Vortex Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Clears

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 02:22:26 »
Yes, it's cheaper to adapt an AT model F than an XT.  ^-^

I think the Soarer's converter preserves the n-key rollover, but I'm not sure. I've never tested it. If you search this forum or Deskthority for "Soarer's converter" you'll find lots of info.
REΛLFORCE

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 07:19:00 »

Also I hate how expensive all of the adapters are. I doubt they cost nearly that much to make.

It depends on what value your time has. A "converter" is not an "adapter" because it has a lot of work to do.

You could build one with a knock-off for under $10 or for just over $20 for a real Teensy using Soarer's method.

Orihlacon's products are amazingly clean and elegant, although not cheap. He builds them individually by hand. A Hagstrom costs more and does less.

If you are getting into the game for more than this experiment, just build something that is versatile.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58941.msg1348717#msg1348717
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2015, 07:21:31 by fohat.digs »
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07