Author Topic: Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 Yellow Colour Edition (MX White) - $125  (Read 2700 times)

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Cazam

Re: Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 Yellow Colour Edition (MX White) - $125
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 10:38:40 »
Does anyone have a Ducky and could possible tell me if there is any reason to get it over CM Quickfire?

I've read reviews and they're up and down... Some Ducky reviews literally say stay away it's flimsy.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 10:43:27 »
Does anyone have a Ducky and could possible tell me if there is any reason to get it over CM Quickfire?

I've read reviews and they're up and down... Some Ducky reviews literally say stay away it's flimsy.

That all depends on what you want out of the keyboard.

This particular deal thread is for a board that is fully backlit, is yellow and has MX whites, there is no quickfire as of now which has any of those things.

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 10:44:37 »
Prepare for unclicky keys.  They are probably unloading this due to excessive RMA's.  (Just guessing)

Offline Cazam

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 10:50:06 »
Prepare for unclicky keys.  They are probably unloading this due to excessive RMA's.  (Just guessing)

That's good to know... I hate RMA's, especially in Canada I always pay ridiculous return shipping.

I love yellow, and I don't care much for back lighting as I keep my board under a desk (slide out, never slid out). I guess what I really wanted to know is, does Ducky feel like is has better build quality? I currently have a MX Blue quickfire and I love it but I've wanted to try clears, and I've reallllly wanted to try another brand.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 10:56:09 »

That's good to know... I hate RMA's, especially in Canada I always pay ridiculous return shipping.

I love yellow, and I don't care much for back lighting as I keep my board under a desk (slide out, never slid out). I guess what I really wanted to know is, does Ducky feel like is has better build quality? I currently have a MX Blue quickfire and I love it but I've wanted to try clears, and I've reallllly wanted to try another brand.

This board is not mx clear it is mx white.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 12:21:31 »
Do you guys think it is because the MX whites are of the unclicky type (ie a bad batch that they wanted to unload?).

I would like to hear someone explain why MX whites lose their clickiness after a while.

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 13:25:24 »
I'm not talking about losing their clickiness after a while - I'm talking about on arrival day one.

I've tried a couple Vortex Pures and Races w/ MX Whites and it's like 1 out of 10 switches don't have any click. Other folks have had test CM Storm XT prototypes with MX Whites that had the same issue.

If anyone from MechanicalKeyboards.com (ShakeR, etc) is reading this and you decide to carry them anyway I urge you to quickly test each board before shipping as it will save you a lot of grief from RMA's.

Do you guys think it is because the MX whites are of the unclicky type (ie a bad batch that they wanted to unload?).

I would like to hear someone explain why MX whites lose their clickiness after a while.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 13:40:04 »
MX White is supposedly lubricated, and that results in some uneven sound characteristic in terms of the click.  Everyone I've heard from so far talks about the lack of uniformity with MX Whites.  I've typed on a board with MX Whites recently, and it was assembled from scratch.  The switches were sorted by their clicking sound characteristic, and clicking on different parts of the board sounded a bit different.  I've also read that some switches don't click, and re-arranging the stems in non-clicking switches into other housings might remedy that (though I wonder if it's just the act of taking a stem out that causes re-distribution of lubricant).  Anyway, MX Whites seem like the most finicky switch unless one is willing to do some maintenance.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 23:00:22 »
My experiences with MX white is that they are highly variable switch to switch. I converted 100 of them to 62g and then sorted them by loudness for my skeldon. I ended up with about 7 different bins for perceived loudness.