Author Topic: ...and it's hello from me  (Read 2025 times)

Offline DaveyG

...and it's hello from me
« on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 07:44:31 »
Hey all

Dave from UK reporting in! fairly new to mech boards and I'm already developing an unhealthy obsession  ;D I'm guessing this is the wrong place to come for rehab?

So far I've got a standard UK MJ 2 with MX blacks, which I really like but I've since decided I far prefer TKL boards.

UK Filco TKL with MX browns, which I managed to spill a can of Kronenbourg into. A double tragedy, losing both beer & board!!!

UK layout Realforce 45g black on black. This is almost my favourite, although the Filco cases seem a bit more solidly built to me. I love the feel of the keys but with hindsight I wish I'd gone for a US layout as iso keycaps are seemingly impossible to get and not being the best typist in the world, the black on black messes me up a little.. as does the lack of capslock light! (yeah I know my typing skills don't warrant such a keyboard... but I just WANT it.. which is all that matters). Unfortunately my only option to get it just how I want it is to import one and a set of keycaps, which is going to cost a fortune, especially once Her Majesties Customs & Revenue get their claws into it. Unless you guys have any ideas??

Finally, my current everyday keyboard is a US layout (learned from the above mistake) Filco Ninja TKL with MX reds. It has the black case and I have white pbt side printed caps on order from qtan. Currently en route somewhere between Hong Kong & me. In general I really like classic understated looks with moderate customisation.. i.e. not too many different colours, and definitely no illumination. Quality build with just enough to make it look special is what I like & I've seen some truly awesome boards here that show just what can be done.  I'm hoping the pbt caps will also give it a slightly  better feel. If so, this will do the trick for me.... at least until I decide I can't get by without that Topre.

Unfortunately I just know it's gonna happen before too long :(
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 October 2012, 07:46:28 by DaveyG »

RF 87u 55g            RF 87u 45g          Filco Ninja TKL       Filco Ninja TKL       Filco Majestouch II

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: ...and it's hello from me
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 09:25:34 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 19:00:49 »
And it's welcome to Geekhack from him!

An impressive collection to start with :)

And unfortunately I have to advise that you have come to the right place to stoke your obsession - you will find many, many temptations in here.

Topre key caps: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 21:04:50 »
Welcome to GeekHack.

Also good choice switching to US ANSI layout ; p

Seriously, UK layout doesn't make any sense, and you know it.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline skryl

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 17:59:46 »
Welcome to gh, and make sure to control the addiction.
Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Brown | Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Blue | SIIG Minitouch XM White | Noppoo Choc Mini MX Red | Ducky 1087 XM Green | Leopold FC200R MX Red | Apple M0116 Salmon Alps | Realforce 86U Topre

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 04:26:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack! We all got keyboard problems.. i just embrace it n_n I really need to get a board with mx blacks Ive tried almost every switch besides it.  >.<
My HHKB pro 2 should be coming in any day... topres are my favorite.
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)

Offline winzds

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 14:29:33 »
Welcome to gh~!